This Bucket is Hiding a Secret Storage Solution

OMW this year is just flying by. It’s already the end of February and I’m still stuck somewhere in 2017. Anyone else feel the same? Last year my beautiful hubby bought me a Brother Scan & Cut, just because 😉 and I still haven’t used it. My bad. So when the ladies from the International Bloggers Club set the “New to Use” challenge for this month it seemed the perfect opportunity to play with my new toy. And if I can combine the challenge and create this secret storage solution at the same time then it’s a win, win, right!!?

This bucket is hiding a secret storage solution that's just so clever #DiyHomeDecor ##storage #creative #organization

Can you guess what I’m hiding

Can you guess what that bucket is hiding under that faux topiary? Okay, wait before I expose the secret, I need tell you a little more about the IBC. On the last Monday of every month, a small group of international bloggers from around the world get together to challenge each other or share a themed project. You can see some of our previous challenges here. All righty then, ready?

I have far too much storage space, said no-one everClick To Tweet

Isn’t that awesome? The bucket stores all the paints that don’t fit inside my craft cupboard. Now they have a new home in Paris, at No 33, Rue Lafayette 😉 And the label, that I downloaded from The Graphics Fairy, was cut with my new toy 😀 I must admit, I really struggled a bit a lot in the beginning. UGH!! Making stencils and those kinda things isn’t as easy as it looks. Nope, but my good friend Keri’s stencil tips helped a lot. Once I figured out what fonts would work and how to set the blade depth on the Scan & Cut it was pretty easy. I did cut through two mats though until I got the blade settings right. Shhh, don’t tell hubby.

If you’d like to make something similar, here’s how I did it.

Creating a Secret Storage Solution Using a Bucket

Let’s start with the easy bits first, shall we? I made a tiered stand to fit inside the bucket so I can store the paints and take them out without too much fuss. If you’re not in the mood to make the tiered stand, no worries you can still make something similar to store blankets or even cleaning products. The possibilities are endless. All you need is a large bucket and a faux topiary that fits over the top. Paint the bucket and add a label, if that’s how you roll, and then attach the topiary to the handle. In fact you don’t even need to attach it if you don’t feel like it. I just wanted to be fancy 😉

Making The Secret Storage Tier For The Bucket

To make the tiered storage you’ll need two wooden circles that fit snuggly inside the bucket. I bought ours at a craft store. I don’t trust my jigsaw skills just yet 😀 You’ll also need a thread bar, 8 nuts, 2 washers, 16 long screws, wire, a polystyrene ball, glue and some twine to make it all look pretty (optional).

Divide the wooden circles into 1/8ths and screw screws around the edge of the circles. Twist some wire around the screws to form a cage.

LOL, it kinda looks like a boxing ring or something like that. Next measure the height of the bucket and cut the thread bar accordingly.

Squish the polystyrene ball on top of the thread bar before using the twine to cover the ball and the thread bar. Just add dabs of polystyrene friendly glue every now and again to stick the twine down.

Don’t wrap the twine all the way down the bar. Only to the point where you want the first tier or “boxing ring” to go. Add a nut, the “boxing ring”, a washer and another nut. Wrap some more twine around the thread bar and then attach the next “boxing ring” in the same way. Tighten all the nuts so the storage tier is stable.

Finally glue 4 nuts to the bottom of the tiered, boxing ring thingy to stop it from wobbling when you take it out.

This bucket is hiding a secret storage solution that's just so clever

I’m flippin my lid for this secret storage idea

I’d love to know what you think of the out of the box bucket secret storage idea. Is it something you would use at home? What would you store inside? If you enjoyed this secret storage solution, please don’t forget to share it with your friends and/or save it to Pinterest. And If you’re looking for another crafty idea for faux topiaries then our African snowman might be just the thing.

Pinny Please

If you’d like to make one and don’t want to go to all that trouble of finding the materials to create some secret storage, I’ve got you covered 😉 Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps me buy new cutting mats when I make a boo-boo again 😉

AmeriHome X-Large Stainless steel Bucket
Porpora 19 inch Decorative Artificial Flower Ball (Boxwood) for Home Décor, Weddings and other Special Events
Sale Brother Electronic Cutting Machine, CM350, ScanNCut2, 4.85” LCD Touch Screen, Wireless Network Ready, 300 DPI Built-in Scanner, 631 Built-in Designs

I can’t wait to see what my friends have tried that they’ve never done before. Wanna join me? Their links are at the bottom 😉

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Int'l Bloggers Club

Comments

• Posted: March 29, 2018 11:02

That is brilliant Michelle! I never would of guessed a paint storage. The little peek in the top photo I thought it was for spices. That is way cool, and the tired cage with the ball handle very clever. Now it's all stored nicely in the pretty faux topiary bucket. Love it! I've never heard of the Brother Scan & Cut, but have been wanting something to make my own stencils, and graphics. But afraid to bring it up I already have so much craft stuff. The hubby is always saying we going to have to buy another house just for my crafts. LOL
    • Posted: March 31, 2018 05:23

I really enjoyed using the Scan & Cut, once I figured out how 😉 and it would be just perfect for making stencils and signs for your shop Linda. Plus it doesn't take up a lot of space either. Hopefully you can convince the hubby. I'd love to see what you make with it
  • Posted: March 23, 2018 19:10

Nikki Gwin

I love this Michelle! It's so cute on its own, but then, its storage too! :) gwingal
    • Posted: March 24, 2018 04:45

Thanks so much Nikki 😉
  • Posted: March 11, 2018 07:07

Debbie

Hi Michelle, that is so creative, I could use a whole load of them to hide the bits and pieces (& my chocolate stash!) in this house! I have no idea how we learned to do things before blogs and YouTube, there's a tutorial for everything out there. xx
    • Posted: March 11, 2018 07:13

LOL, love your idea of hiding the chocolate stash Debbie. That's so perfect 😀
  • Posted: March 7, 2018 18:06

I have the same impression about time Michelle! I think it runs like water... Your bucket is one of the pretiest secret storage I have ever seen. Of course we can hide anything in it! You made your miracle once more my friend :)
    • Posted: March 8, 2018 06:54

😊 Thank you Christina, you always say the nicest things and it means a lot to me
  • Posted: March 7, 2018 08:43

Great storage idea. I think I would use it to store dog toys outside. Or my little gardening tool. Very well done as always. Pinned
    • Posted: March 7, 2018 12:34

It would be perfect for storing dog toys and gardening tools Leanna. I would probably line the inside of the topiary with plastic so the rain or snow doesn't get inside the bucket though, unless you keep it under some kind of cover
  • Posted: March 6, 2018 13:09

Gabi

Just awesome!!!!
    • Posted: March 6, 2018 14:37

• Posted: March 4, 2018 17:40

Jas @ All that's Jas

You never cease to amaze me! Love it, Michelle! Great way to make the counter space look less cluttered. Now I need to find a bucket big enough to hide my crockpot, ha! XO
    • Posted: March 5, 2018 04:56

😀 That's gonna be one BIG bucket Jas, but I'll keep an eye out for you 😉
      • Posted: May 14, 2018 16:49

Sally

It won’t help Amazon but Wal-Mart sells metal or metal look plastic bin in various shapes this time of year that might actually fit a crock pot!!! You might have to adjust what you use for the topiary part! But using your noodle is much of the fun!!
        • Posted: May 15, 2018 05:39

Ooooo that sounds like a plan Sally and you'll probably be able to find a really big faux topiary somewhere but I'd love to know what your noodle comes up with 😉
  • Posted: March 3, 2018 14:24

Michelle, just wow!! Your projects are always so amazing and this one is no exception. I love the platform you made for the paints and how they're cleverly hidden. The bucket is beautiful! Thanks for mentioning my blog. Have fun with your Brother Scan and Cut!!
    • Posted: March 4, 2018 06:16

You're stenciling tips were such a life saver Keri, thank you. I thought I was going to lose my mind every time the letters fell out.
  • Posted: March 3, 2018 11:18

Marie

Wow. What a very thoughtful and elegant idea. It's definitely something I could use at home!
    • Posted: March 3, 2018 11:31

Thanks so much Marie. Glad you like it
  • Posted: March 3, 2018 00:43

What a creative and cool work Michelle, for me it is a very difficult task because I am not good at these type of DIY project. I really need some lessons from you.
    • Posted: March 3, 2018 08:29

Ahhh Sadhna, if I could cook like you do my friend I'd be in the kitchen instead of the workshop doing crafty things. Thank you so much
  • Posted: March 2, 2018 21:34

I really love the bucket and then when you showed how it stores the extra paint well that really amazed me. I love everything you do!
    • Posted: March 3, 2018 08:29

Thank you Debra, I really appreciate that so much
  • Posted: March 1, 2018 18:51

FLORENCE

I love the idea of secret storage! You had me laughing & agreeing about learning to use the new tool. That would be me. I usually have to get hubby to learn it first & then show me how it works. Ha! Looks like Keri to the rescue! Love your new bucket. About how tall is that?
    • Posted: March 2, 2018 04:19

😀 Thank goodness for Keri, I would have been lost without her tutorials. The whole secret storage bucket is about 19" or 48 cm tall, so it's a nice height.
  • Posted: March 1, 2018 03:38

Msddah

Such a genius idea. Thanks for sharing.
    • Posted: March 1, 2018 12:32

It's a huge pleasure Ms Ddah, I'm glad you liked it
  • Posted: February 28, 2018 22:12

Melanie williams

Wow!! how cool and creative is this! Super cool idea and the final outcome looks so professional - I would give this a go, but I do not think my results would be as good x
    • Posted: March 1, 2018 06:01

I'm sure yours would look lovely Melanie. It really is such an easy secret storage idea
  • Posted: February 28, 2018 12:17

Nati

Oh my! Michelle, this is GENIUS! I am always looking for extra storage but I don't want my home to become like a pharmacy, filled with cupboards and drawers. This is such an excellent idea!!
    • Posted: February 28, 2018 15:01

So glad you like it Nati, it such a perfect solution for all those little things that clutter the counter tops. We even have two outside that we use to store some of our small garden tools.
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 21:08

Sarah Vanderkooy

What a cool project, it looks great inside and out. You are so clever.
    • Posted: February 28, 2018 09:28

Thanks so much Sarah
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 21:07

This is such a great idea. I love hidden storage there is a certain level of satisfaction to having cluttery bits hidden away from sight. This is very creative!
    • Posted: February 28, 2018 09:29

Isn't hidden storage just the best, thanks so much Elizabeth 🙂
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 20:09

Ayana Nell

What a classy and sneaky way to store excess stuff!!! I love it!! It definitely took me a while to figure out my Cricut machine so I understand what you mean!
    • Posted: February 28, 2018 09:30

I hear you Ayana, I'll have to practice a lot more before I get the hang of making stencils 😀
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 18:20

You blow my mind every week. This is such a great idea and super creative at the same time. Now I need to figure out how I can get one for myself without much effort ... haha :D
    • Posted: February 28, 2018 09:30

Aww Tanvi, thank you
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 18:00

Evelyn, Path of Presence

I love this design - it is beautiful and clever. Concealing and storing things that you needn't leave out, but having it handy and accessible in this way is genius! <3
    • Posted: February 28, 2018 09:31

Thank you Evelyn and it's such an easy thing to do too.
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 15:06

Ithfifi

I feel exactly the same, I feel like I've woken up on new years day to find its nearly March. I can relate, paint everywhere over here!! I love this idea so much especially as I don't like all my stuff being seen, I feel like things look tidier if they aren't out on display so this creation makes me happy! I will be inviting you over to find a home for all my acrylic paints, please!
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 16:13

Wouldn't it be just amazing to store all those nail polishes of yours Ithi and your acrylics...... They really need to invent that teleporting machine so I can pop over quickly 😉
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 14:15

Candy Rachelle

This Bucket hiding storage solution is so awesome. You really had an amazing idea. I really like it, Michelle.
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 16:15

• Posted: February 27, 2018 11:35

Agnes Vazhure

Wow!! This is really quite impressive though. I really like this storage solution idea. I think I need to start my own storage now.
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 12:06

Glad you like the idea Agnes, thank you ❣
  • Posted: February 27, 2018 05:41

Samantha

I thought you were going to say the plant was hiding a stain. 😂😂 What a great idea for extra storage. It’s cute & practical!
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 06:16

😂 LOL Sam, you never know it just might be 😉
  • Posted: February 26, 2018 19:56

Oh la la Michelle, I love everytime we decide to take a challenge because that makes us overcome our fears. I love your brain, seriously. That is not only beautiful to see but also handy because you have a lot of paint hidden there! I'd love making one for me one day, is it steady? If I want it to be on a table, maybe I can add tiny stuff to act as "legs"...
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 04:51

The challenges are the best, they always "force" me to do something I would have put off. So glad you like the storage bucket Pili. It's really stable, we added extra nuts at the bottom so she wouldn't wobble and they did the trick.
  • Posted: February 26, 2018 19:18

SO cool Michelle, really really cool. As usual you got me thinking, because my craft stuff is an eye sore on my desk, now I want to pretty it up using your idea! I love how easily you came up with making your own storage tier! Very clever!
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 04:57

Thank you Katrin, I'm glad you like it. The little tiered stand works well. It makes it so much easier to pull the paints out and see all the colors and packing everything away is a breeze
  • Posted: February 26, 2018 18:50

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! I just love the clever design and beauty of it. I just had to look up your Brother Scan and Cut too. It's awesome! that was so nice your hubby to get you one. Your projects are always so beautiful, Michelle, and always get my creative juices flowing thinking of things I can create too. This is a wonderful project. You can hide/store so many awesome things in it!
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 06:20

Thanks so much Carolann 😉 I'm slowly getting into using the Scan & Cut but I've still got a lot to learn. And here I was thinking stencils are easy, LOL
  • Posted: February 26, 2018 18:39

Katerina Konstantinou

What a great idea! This would be perfect for our bathroom sink surface in order to hide all the small thingies!
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 07:50

This would work really well in a bathroom Katerina. Great idea
  • Posted: February 26, 2018 16:18

Michelle that is one big and beautiful storage. I never in a million years would have guessed you had your paints in there. Haha!! Very clever and your stenciling is awesome sauce, as Keri says!!
    • Posted: February 27, 2018 05:00

😀 Thank goodness Keri shared all those amazing stencil tutorials. She was a life saver
  • Posted: February 26, 2018 13:12

Julia - Vintage with Laces

I would never have guessed that you store paints in the bucket but what a great storage idea! It looks beautiful, Michelle! If I were a jar of paint I would just love to live in this pretty maisonette in Paris. :) Gotta tell you, hubby found a dog puppy in a garbage can on Friday and brought her home. She's such a cutie pie. The kitties are not amused but I hope they'll come around.
    • Posted: February 26, 2018 13:16

Awwww does she have a name yet Julia? What on earth was she doing in a garbage can, that's so sad. Thank goodness your hubby found her and I'm sure Cosmo and Barney will fall in love with the puppy soon, they just need to make sure she understands some purr baby rules first 🙂