Does it drives you batty when a sneaky gust of wind messes up a table you’ve spent hours decorating? Instead of relying on plates and cutlery to keep your tablecloth in place, why not make your own, inexpensive weights using things you probably already have in your craft cupboard.
They’re quick and easy to do, and you can customize them to suit your unique decorating style.
What you need
- 8 Bulldog clips (you can find them at most office supply stores)
- Four little buckets
- Beads to match your decor
- Thin jewelry wire
- Wire cutters
- Sand, stones or anything else that will add weight to the buckets
How to make the tablecloth weights
Start by cutting your jewelry wire into four 25 cm (10″) pieces. If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you’ll know how much we love using wire in our craft projects. There’s just so much you can do with it.
Thread the wire through the hole in the Bulldog clip and fold it in half.
String an assortment of beads onto the wire. Add as many as you want in whichever order you like. Finish off by adding another pinch clip to the end and twisting and, knotting the wire to secure. Trim any extra bits of wire.
Fill the little buckets with stones, shells, glass pebbles, beads or anything else that’s heavy enough to act as a weight.
Add the one end of the beaded Bulldog clip to the bucket and clip the other end to the edge of your tablecloth.
Now that tablecloth will stay right where it belongs. One the table 😉
How do you keep those sneaky gusts of wind from destroying your beautifully decorated table? I’d love to hear your ideas.
If you like this idea, don’t forget to pin it for later
Some more ideas to customize the look
There are so many ways to customize these tablecloth weights:
- Put fresh, or faux flowers, on top of the glass pebbles to celebrate Spring;
- Plant small succulents inside the buckets before hanging them. Succulents are trending right now;
- For Easter add a few speckled eggs and some moss;
- Use large wooden beads and a tassel or three to create a farmhouse look;
- Swop some of the pebbles for little acorns and pine cones to welcome Fall;
- And for Halloween, paint the bucket black, fill with pebbles and dump a small skeleton on top. You could even use “glow in the dark” beads to up the spooky factor 😉
- For a totally glam look, use crystal beads and pearls instead;
- And don’t forget about Christmas. Replace the bucket with a sand-filled bauble to create some festive cheer.
The possibilities are endless and they make great gifts too. How would you customize them?
Oh and if you’re looking for some of the things we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us make more amazing crafts to share with you 😉
And if you prefer to buy rather than DIY, then maybe these beauties will appeal.
As always wishing you a beautiful, safe and love filled week. Happy crafting my friends.