You’ll Love This Charming Update On A Pallet Headboard

We love using pallets to make things and fortunately we have a stockpile in the workshop to play with. And when I say play, I mean it. Using pallets to make things often involves trying to find the right pieces that will fit together nicely. It’s a bit like building a puzzle. Some planks are warped, some are thin, some are fat and others are broken and really badly damaged. But each one tells a story and when you find the right pieces, they can be magically transformed into a HOME shelf. or even a little bathroom cupboard inspired by Unicorn SPiT. So when my bestie asked me to make her a pallet headboard, I was over the moon. Yay, I can build a puzzle again!! But I wanted to up the stakes a little and make it a bit more special. This is my bestie after all 😉

Who knew that a headboard made from pallets and a room dividers could look so good. Make your own with this easy tutorial

We have another stockpile in our workshop. I call this one “things that need to be repurposed” and in there we have this lonely room divider panel. We picked the room divider up for a steal and used two of the panels to add a feature to our bedroom. The third panel has been waiting quietly for it’s time to shine.

One lonely panel

Isn’t that scroll work just beautiful? The panel is a bit tall for a headboard. Unless of course you’re a Princess and have one of those beds that needs a ladder to get into. My bestie prefers taking a flying leap into bed 😉

So the panel needed to be cut down to size.

No turning back now

Time to put the pallet puzzle pieces together

Digging through the pallet stockpile I managed to find pieces that were all the same thickness and reasonably straight. The shape of the panel called for a staggered look in my humble opinion. The hubby, on the other hand, went a bit mad 😉 and suggested I round off the top of the pallets too. Uummmmmm nope, I’ve mastered the jigsaw only to the point where I can cut straight lines and maybe a small unintentional squiggle. A matching curve on either side is a bit beyond my skill level right now.

Laying things out

The cut pallets got a good sanding to get rid of all the yuckiness and to remove any splinters. One of the pieces had funny stain, so that one got replaced. That’s the other thing about pallets. It’s only when you start sanding them that you get to see their real story. And this one’s story looked a bit dark and weird. Once everything was nice and smooth, the pallets were wiped down with a mixture of water, vinegar and bleach.

Sand and clean

Pallets can be thirsty buggers and sometimes, depending on the wood, you can get bleed through. To prevent those dreaded bleed through spots and to seal the wood, the best thing to use is a shellac based primer.

Shellac primer just in case

I took the lazy easy way out and only used the primer to paint the pallets. Hey, the color matched the room divider beautifully 😉 All I had to do was dry brush a dark stain on the edges to make it look worn and add a bit of detail.

Getting the look – the lazy girl way

Putting the pallet headboard together

To join the pallets and room divider together I used a metal tension bracing strip. I have absolutely no idea why we have this in our garage, but apparently it’s used to brace roof trusses. Go figure, we’ve never built a roof in our lives but it was there and it works like a charm. Just cut it to the right length and screw it on the back of the pallet headboard.

Putting it all together

The room divider and pallet headboard is hung with french cleats. I learnt that neat trick from Marie at Interior Frugaslista. She’s a master at making things work.

What do you think, should I have listened to hubby and tried to round the edges? Hint: Please say no 😉  I still have the left over bit of the room divider to play with. Maybe I can make a bedside table for my bestie? In the meantime a overturned bucket does the trick.

Even an up tuned bucket makes a great side table and looks amazing paired with a pallet headboard

Oh and if you like the idea of marrying a room divider with some pallets, would you mind pinning this one. Maybe we can start a trend 😉

Who knew that a headboard made from pallets and a room divider panel could look so good. Make your own with this easy tutorial

Pinny Please

Wishing you a truly blessed and love filled week, until next time.

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Furniture Hacks, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts, Pallet Hacks, Recycling Crafts

Comments

• Posted: May 10, 2018 00:41

Drek

very creative. great ideas you have here. keep the creativity flowing.
    • Posted: May 10, 2018 13:25

Thank you so much Drek. I really appreciate that so much
  • Posted: January 16, 2018 13:00

Donna

Love Love Love this! Reminds me of New Orleans! (I live an hour away!) Thanks for the inspiration.
    • Posted: January 16, 2018 14:42

Awesome Donna. I've never been to New Orleans although it's been on my bucket list forever
  • Posted: December 17, 2017 02:09

Diena Cameron

Great looking bed Michelle, love this look. Of course it is possible that it might, just might look good with the pallets curved but we will never know because I think your bestie is going to love it just the way it is 😉 I love pallets, i have a stack of them in my basement that we inherited when we bought this house. I want to build a bar for my hubby to put on our deck. Got any ideas ???? Anything would help, lol, I'm not the best diy-er but I try. Tell next time, see you soon !
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 04:28

Thanks so much Diena 😉 Building a bar for your hubby sounds like such a fun project. The only advice I could give is to build the frame for the bar using 2 x 2s or 4 x 4s and then clad the frame with the pallet wood. Most of the pallets we have at home are a bit wonky and not too straight. I wish we stayed closer, so I could jump in the car and come help you.
  • Posted: November 30, 2017 01:56

Siya

Love the design
    • Posted: November 30, 2017 05:51

Thanks so much Siya 🙂
  • Posted: October 8, 2017 11:16

Michelle, I love love this headboard!! You did an amazing job! I'm sure your bestie loves it!!
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 04:42

Thank you Keri, she's real happy with how it turned out 🙂
  • Posted: September 27, 2017 15:40

Tiffany Yong

My boyfriend will love this tutorial because it's something he had been hoping to try - wood craft~ He will probably try to add a layer of varnish so that termites won't eat the wood!
    • Posted: September 27, 2017 16:00

Your BF has a point Tiffany. These pallets have been outside for almost a year and we haven't seen any little holes so I think we're safe, but you can never be too careful ;-)
  • Posted: September 24, 2017 07:09

Claire

Love the combination of the 2 styles fancy and plain. The white paint brings them together. I love the headboard.
    • Posted: September 25, 2017 05:56

Thanks so much Claire. I'm real glad that primer matched the color of the divider. It made my life sooo much easier
  • Posted: September 22, 2017 18:57

OMG, the headboard is beautiful. Your bestie is so lucky to have such a talented friend. And I think it is perfect without the rounded top.
    • Posted: September 25, 2017 05:57

Thanks so much Debra but I think I'm the lucky one. She's stuck by me through thick and thin all these years.
  • Posted: September 21, 2017 17:47

Maya

Oh I am just crazy about room dividers. Never actually had one to speak the truth, but whenever I see one it makes me gasp! You transformed it into a masterpiece! I was speechless when I saw it! What a fabulous repurpose!
    • Posted: September 22, 2017 05:09

Thanks so much Maya :D I'd love to be able to use room dividers all over the house but we don't really have the space
  • Posted: September 21, 2017 14:16

Oh my gosh, this is simply stunning! I love that design. It's perfect for a headboard. Your work always inspires me. The color is perfect too. It really transforms your space.
    • Posted: September 22, 2017 05:12

You always say the nicest thing CarolAnn, thanks so much <3
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 15:30

Great job, working with pallet wood is a difficult job, but you are good in that dear, as you have shown in this DIY project. I know you don't want to round the edges but I think it is a good idea, LOL. The headboard looks awesome.
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 15:46

I hear you Sadhna. I'll have to practice a little bit more with the jigsaw though :D Thanks for your lovely comment
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 15:05

Tiara Wilson

This is incredible! I am loving the headboard. I am no where near crafty, at all. I suck at crafts to be honest. I love how it all came together.
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 15:47

Tiara you take the most beautiful photos. I would never be able to do that ;-)
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 14:40

Nikki

I am pinning, this needs to be a trend! Love the room divider, it's so feminine and gorgeous. Paired with the pallet wood it's a perfect fit. Love the rustic up against the pretty, I wouldn't change a thing. I really like the curve in the center up against the straight cut of the pallet wood. It's just right. Don't change a thing!!!
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 14:45

Whoop, whoop Nikki, thank you. Although I have to admit I'm just binge a big chicken for not doing the curve. One day I'll conquer the jigsaw like a pro. Maybe my hubby can teach me when he's got some time ;-)
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 13:23

Candy Rachelle

Did you really create this?!? If so, this is absolutely gorgeous and creative. Even though I don't do shabby chic, I LOVE this. You did a fantastic job. I'm not much of a DIYer but I've always wished I could make furniture. You should be proud of yourself...Fantastic job!
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 14:34

LOL Candy, yes it's all home made from scratch, although I can't take credit for the beautiful divider in the middle. That's a bit beyond my skill set ;-)
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 11:04

Sarah - Craft Invaders

I remember you using the other panels, they are so pretty Michelle. I adore your new headboard, Michelle, it looks as though it's been in existence for years - stunning!
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 14:39

Ahhh Sarah, I missed you. Thanks so much :D
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 03:03

Handan

I love the scroll work! It turned out really lovely, Michelle!
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:41

Teşekkür ederim Handan ;-)
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 02:50

Josselyn

OMG!! I love it and it's white!!! and rusty! I was actually going to buy a header for my bed but now I think I can do it myself
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:43

Oh that's great Josselyn, I'm glad you like it and that you're going to make one instead of buying. I'd love to see how it turns out
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 01:44

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

Wow, that looks great Michelle! Love that ornate room divider! Was it part of a 3-section divider type thing? It's so pretty! Nah, I don't think you should have had rounded corners necessarily. I mean, it would have been OK if you had, but I like it just fine like you've done it.
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:46

Thanks so much FLorence. Yes the room divider was made of three parts. The other two have been re-purposed as bedside table features. I fell in love with the scroll work when I saw it in a thrift shop, but we have no space for a room divider n our home
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 01:33

Samantha

This is so cute! I think it looks great the way it is (no need to round off!). I pinned it. 😁
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:46

Thanks so much Samantha :D
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 01:22

Tara

The design in the room divider is absolutely gorgeous! I love how the headboard turned out. It looks perfect!
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:47

Thank you Tara, that room divider divider is real pretty
  • Posted: September 20, 2017 00:12

Alison

Looks amazing, love the rustic feel it gives. The panel you used is stunning.
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:53

Isn't it just gorgeous, thanks so much Alison
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 21:33

Wow what a beautiful headboard! I don't think that it would matter whether the edges are straight or curved. It would be beautiful either way. Love it! ❤
    • Posted: September 20, 2017 04:53

You're right Linda, it would look lovely curved too. Thanks so much my friend ❤
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 17:45

Shell

Oh my goodness this DIY turned out so super cute!!!! I love it so much!!! I wish I could be that creative... :)
    • Posted: September 25, 2017 05:58

Thanks so much Shell, I really appreciate it and thank you for coming to say hi
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 13:39

Kori Evans

Oh my gosh! So absolutely creative and so gorgeous!! I wish I was that creative! I think I have these creative visions and I get so excited about them. But once they are together they are crap! Lol!
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 14:52

Ahhh Kori, don't give up. It used to happen to me all the time and there are still times when the things happening inside my head end up looking like crap
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 12:55

Reese Alvarado

How beautiful this bed looks! I would love to have creativity like you. Thanks for sharing
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 14:55

Thanks so much Reese
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 12:54

Courtney Blacher

Wow, I absolutely love this! It's such a creative way to make a headboard from pallets. Thank you for sharing.
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 14:55

Thank you Courtney, glad you liked it
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 12:44

Michelle the first time I saw those room dividers it was love love love. And what you did with them in your bedroom left me speechless. So it comes as no surprise that this project should also turn into a beauty. I have to agree with Shaun about the curved tops but if you were not feeling comfortable with that particular skill set then it's best you didn't attempt it. It looks beautiful either way.
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 14:57

They are gorgeous, it was a super lucky find. I'm going to make a plan in December to practice lots with the jigsaw, but for now straight edges and unintentional squiggles will have to do ;-) Thank so much Mary
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 12:22

There is something so special about DIY pieces. And this came out so artistic and unique - You are a genius.
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 14:54

Thank you Tanvi, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 11:09

kriti

wow .. lovely.. i dont know how peeps get such a kind of splendid ideas.. :-) it is so unique,trendy and also worthful..❤️
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 11:44

Dhanyavaad Kriti, I really appreciate that ❤️
  • Posted: September 19, 2017 03:15

Marisa

Mal oor dit mix! Gaan def probeer❤️
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:03

Yay, ek's so bly om dit te hoor Maaitjie. Ek sal kom help ;-)
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 22:47

Angie ~ Ambient Wares

Mind blown, Michelle. I saw the center piece and wondered what on earth it was :) What a great use of that room divider and mixed with the pallet wood is just gorgeous!
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:05

:D Thank you Angie, I'm really happy with how it turned out
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 22:08

Amber

Oh my gosh this is so cute! And it looks so much more spendy and expensive that it actually was (such a mega-bonus in my book)! Great project.
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:06

Thanks so much Amber :D
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 18:41

PJ

I think if you had rounded the pallets, the headboard wouldn't have the same "oomph" as it does now. I like the softness of the intricate design next the workman-like planks. It's really visually appealing. So much so, that I pinned the photo of it :)
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:15

:) I love the way you think PJ :D Thanks for pinning
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 18:33

Alet

Looks stunning! I have been drooling over the room divers for way too long.
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:20

It's such a pretty room divider and I real glad we could repurpose it in so many different ways
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 18:09

Cia Black

Beautiful. This would be perfect as a room divided for my daughters room. Three girls, one room. My oldest feels like she has no space because the youngest 2 have taken over. We have been on the search for a while now on dividers, but everything is so big, and so light the youngest just knock them over. I like the variances in the heights and could easily attach it to a wall so she has her space. add basket on the other side for the youngest or even a gutter and put books into. Wow....Now I'm rambling. Love this though
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:22

Ramble on Cia, I love it :D It would work great as a room divider too. It's definitely heavier and more stable. Probably because it shorter and the pallets give it that extra weight.
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 17:55

Jeannine Dippenaar

O hell, this is so freaken cute, I love it. I think you did good leaving the corners and not rounded them. It gives dimension to the headboard. And just imagine getting all the corner to look similar, no that is way to much stress for such and awesome project. Well done. Mastering the jigsaw is still on my "things to learn list"
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:10

;-) I know right!!!? And who wants to stress when they're busy creating. Thanks Jeannine ;-)
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 17:03

Oh I love this Michelle, I always wanted a rustic pallet headboard and how you added the panel in the middle, just brilliant and it gives it such a beautiful detail! I absolutely love that the pallets are not rounded and are as rustic as they are! So beautiful, what a lucky bestie you have!
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:12

Ahhhh Katrin thank you. We've been besties since school which is a very looooong time ago :D
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 16:58

Linda

This is so beautiful! I am tempted to try it out. I really love it, especially the divider
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:19

Thank you Linda. The room divider really does make all the difference
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 15:50

Michelle - Happy Heart Made

Love the touch of elegance and rustic...turned out beautiful Michelle!! 💛
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:13

• Posted: September 18, 2017 15:13

Bea

I love anything that involves pallet! But this, this is another level! You did a fantastic job with the headboard, that lonely panel came in just perfectly. I am pinning this for myself for later because your explanation on how to take care of the pallet is great as well!
    • Posted: September 18, 2017 15:49

Ahhh, you made my heart smile so big right now. Thank you Bea
  • Posted: September 18, 2017 14:14

Ithfifi

Wow, what a great job you did! I couldn't work out how it was going to come together but it looks awesome! I think a lot of people would pay ALOT to have such a unique and cute headboard! I also like that you DIDN'T round it off!
    • Posted: September 18, 2017 14:19

Yay, my hero ;-) Thanks so much for standing up for me Ithfifi and for your lovely comment