See How to Turn a Boring Bureau into an Epic Stack of Suitcases

I have always loved those pictures of vintage suitcases stacked one on top of the other. There’s just something about the look that makes me think of a life well-traveled and filled with adventure. They evoke memories of faraway places and conquering the unknown, like these beauties from Overstock.com. Aren’t they gorgeous?

Three Colored Vintage Style Luggage Suitcase from Overstock

Photo Sourced from Overstock.com

I wanted my own stack of suitcases sooo badly. But they’ve become horribly expensive and it’s quite a challenge finding a set that looks good together. We do, however have a very boring pine chest of drawers, or bureau as it’s called in America, that desperately needed a makeover. We’ve had the chest of drawers for about 20 years now and her bones were still good. The drawers slide nicely and there’s tons of storage space for all our t-shirts and jerseys. But she needed a face lift, kinda like her owner 😉 And the only face lift I wanted to give her involved these really battered suitcases that we found at the local hospice. .

There's just something about a vintage stack of suitcases that I love. Come see how we gave a boring chest of drawers the look

All banged up

There was even a tatty old handbag thrown into the mix.

A well loved handbag

I think I paid R40 for everything, which included two briefcases, the handbag, 4 floppy suitcases and one of those old cardbaord school suitcases. That’s not even $5, but they were really badly damaged.

The hardware was still okay though, so we removed everything that was worth saving. The handles, locks, buckles, straps, bits of leather even the tags if they were pretty enough 😉

Saving the bits

Once the suitcases had been totally destroyed we had everything we needed to turn that boring dresser into our own version of a vintage stack of suitcases. We removed all the drawers and took the little wooden knobs off.

Prepping the drawers

Using lots of elbow grease and a sander we stripped the varnish and then gave the frame of the dresser a deep lustrous coat of Rustoleum’s American Walnut stain and sealer. to match the decor in our bedroom

Sanding and staining

Then it was time to start playing around. Both the hubby and I work full time as IT geeks for large banks so the only time we have to DIY is normally over a weekend. Fortunately for us most banks in South Africa have an IT freeze during December, which means we can’t work. And that gave us more than enough time to tackle the drawers.

I really wanted them all to be different but still form a harmonious whole. So I needed to limit myself to colors from the same temperature family or find one or two colors and then use variations of those colors. Because the dresser had been stained in a rich brown, we decided to stick with the warmer tones. The first drawer we made over was this one.

Plying around with the first drawer

We sprayed the whole drawer with a metallic copper which seemed like a good idea, but as soon as we put the drawer next to the walnut stained dresser it looked too cold and, well metallic!! Bling, bling definitely didn’t fit the whole vintage feel we were going for. To tone her down we used a piece of hessian as a stencil before applying a coat of brown acrylic paint over the metallic paint.

Hessian makes a cool stencil

One of the other things I really wanted to do was retain that tactile feeling of a real suitcase. So we used contact adhesive to glue some of the leather we’d salvaged from the damaged suitcases to cover the drawers. The drawers are quite wide, so the leather had to be joined. The salvaged suitcase buckles were perfect to hide the small gap where the leather came together. We just glued them over the join.

Hiding the join

And no suitcase is complete without a stamp or sticker to show where you’ve been, right? The Graphics Fairy was my go to place to get a few of those. As luck would have it, one of her labels were for Sinclair’s conditioning powder. Can you guess what the hubby’s surname is?

A few labels

I have to be honest. The dresser face lift  took us way longer that I thought, but I’m really happy with how it turned out. Every drawer is unique and besides the time, it only cost us about R150 for the whole makeover. That’s about $10 😀

All stacked up

What do you think? Was it worth the time? I really wanted to write a post about how we changed each drawer, but looking through all the photos I forgot to take a whole bunch. So the best I can do is share some tips if you’d like to do something similar.

Tips on converting a bureau or chest of drawers into a stack of suitcases
  • Before painting or staining the dresser or bureau pick a color palette that matches or compliments your existing decor.  We have terracotta tiles throughout the house so we tend to stick with warmer colors.
  • Choose a muted, neutral color for the frame of the dresser to anchor the piece. The walnut stain we used creates a beautiful backdrop to showcase each drawer.
  • Broken and damaged suitcases, briefcases and even handbags are perfect for a makeover like this. There are so many bits and pieces that can be salvaged.
  • Don’t worry too much if the suitcases don’t match. Everything can be painted. We used  a wash of acrylic paint to “warm up” the leather  that we stuck on the drawer second from the bottom.
  • Add interesting touches and don’t be scared to mix and match the salvaged bits. Look at pictures of actual suitcases and try and mimic the look. We used bits of leather on the corner of some the drawers and stuck then on with glue and thumb tacks.
  • Treat each drawer as an individual work of art. Take your time. We tackled one drawer a day and experimented with all the bits and pieces until we were happy before sticking or screwing everything down.
  • A few labels or stamps add to the vintage feel. The Graphics Fairy has a whole bunch that you can download for free. She’s the best.

Every time I look at the suitcase bureau I feel like a modern day Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, dreaming of a world of travel. I’m ready to pack up and go at a moment’s notice 😉

Pinny please

What about you? Do you love vintage suitcases as much as I do? Oh and by the way if you’re struggling to find some of the things we used, I’ve got you covered Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us create more crafty magic;-)

Faux Leather Buffalo Brown Print Fabric
IKEA 3-Drawer Chest, Pine, W 24.38, D 11.75, H 27.5, RAST 753.057.09
The Hillman GroupThe Hillman Group 852408 6' Luggage Handle- Brown 1-Pack

Sending love and hugs as always

P.S. We still had some faux leather left over and we used those pieces to repurpose DVD cases and make an awesome vertical garden.

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Furniture Hacks, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: March 15, 2018 19:26

Anonymous

I am in love with this!!
    • Posted: March 16, 2018 04:53

Thank you Anon, I'm really glad you like it
  • Posted: March 14, 2018 01:41

Angela

OMG those drawers look incredible! I absolutely love suitcases but the vintage, cool ones, are beyond my price limits sadly. When looking in local charity shops they only seem to have the naff 60s and 70s ones for a cheap price so I haven't bought any but now I see how I could use bits and pieces off them I am definitely going to up-cycle a three drawer cheast of drawers I have in my bedroom that is pretty hideous! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing make over, you made my day xx
    • Posted: March 14, 2018 05:14

❤ I'm so happy to hear that Angela and you're right those vintage ones are horribly expensive now. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun digging in that pile of "not so cool" suitcases to find ones that have pretty handles and other interesting bits you can use. And if they're already broken so much better. Let me know how your chest of drawers turns out too. I'd love to see a picture
  • Posted: February 2, 2018 15:22

Shirley

This is just an unbelievably fabulously stunning piece of art! You guys rocked this! Took your time and made it your own and I just can’t even begin to tell you how amazed I am at the finished product! I feel the same way you do about stacked suitcases. There’s just something dreamy about them. I have been trying to find a way to incorporate them into my life as well, actually my living room area. I actually have many suitcases to work with but nothing ever feels quite right with them together. I don’t want a chest of drawers BUT you did give me much incentive to totally change the look on some of them to make them coordinate. So thank you for this wonderful tutorial!
    • Posted: February 2, 2018 16:53

Shirley, you just made my weekend 💕 Thank you so very much for you're beautiful comment. I think our gypsy spirits recognize the promise of travels somehow. I still wake up every single morning with a smile on my face when I see the dresser. Thank you, tomorrow I'm going to have a double smile because of you
  • Posted: January 7, 2018 22:26

Karissa Lininger

Nice account.
    • Posted: January 8, 2018 06:18

• Posted: December 23, 2017 15:27

sandee Anderson

Wow!! You two are so talented. I'm a designer from Iowa in the states and am so happy to have found your blog.
    • Posted: December 25, 2017 03:27

Thanks so much Sandee and I'm real happy you found us too 🙂
  • Posted: December 16, 2017 14:42

Debbie

Michelle, I don't know what I can say that previous posters haven't but I just wanted to add that you are one insanely talented couple and this turned out AWESOME!
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 04:31

Ahhhhh Debbie - thank you so very, very much. I still love waking up in the morning and seeing our luggage bureau. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that we made it. Thank you
  • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:17

Gloria Fields

This is absolutely gorgeous !!! It gives me a lot of ideas for a chest of drawers that I'm wanting to do this winter. I'm definitely going to pin it so I can go back and refer to your great ideas. Thanks and keep up the great work. Hope to see more !!
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:58

Thank you so much Gloria 😊 I would love to see how yours turns out
      • Posted: November 11, 2017 22:07

Rebecca

I love this. It turned out amazing! I am going to do this too. I have been saving bits and pieces too. I just need the right chest for it. Thanks for sharing yours with us.
        • Posted: November 13, 2017 11:55

Thank you so very much Rebecca. I hope you find your chest soon
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 17:53

Anonymous

Nice project cool way to use the luggage, thanks for sharing.
    • Posted: October 12, 2017 08:17

• Posted: October 2, 2017 08:55

Nina

I adore this! I've seen a few of real and faux suitcase drawer chests, but this one is by far my favorite! You two are such an inspirational and creative couple...this project and your blog: pinned. Best regards from Germany :) Nina
    • Posted: October 2, 2017 11:21

Vielen Dank Nina 🙂 We really appreciate your lovely words so much
  • Posted: September 4, 2017 23:46

linda

awesome creation!!!!
    • Posted: September 5, 2017 08:35

• Posted: September 3, 2017 15:59

greenpear

An amazing makeover! I just love it. Your craftsmanship and execution are lovely. A technical question for you: For the stripe across the front of each drawer that mimics where the lid meets the body of the suitcase, did you put that on in paint and how did you do it so it? I would appreciate some tips on how applied the "lid line". I would interested in a breakdown of how you did each drawer, even if you don't have any "in process" photos. Thanks for sharing an awesome project!
    • Posted: September 4, 2017 05:51

Hey there Kari, thank you so much for your lovely comment. The lines have been drawn on using a ruler and permanent markers. I'm afraid I would never be able to paint a a straight line. I always overload my brush and it looks uneven. So a sharpie and a ruler were the safest bet. I'll see what I can do about adding a breakdown of each drawer. We did take tons of pictures. I was worried that the post would be too long, but perhaps I can add a page two?
  • Posted: August 17, 2017 07:06

Tamara

Just wanted to let you know that this furniture piece is so beautiful. You have a very creative and artistic mind.
    • Posted: August 17, 2017 10:54

Thank you Tamara, I needed that today
  • Posted: August 14, 2017 17:15

Michelle - Happy Heart Made

WOW!!! AMAZING!!! So inspired to use this to revamp some things around the house!! Thank you for sharing Michelle!!!
    • Posted: August 15, 2017 11:37

That's a huge pleasure my friend, I'm glad you found it inspiring. Hope you have a truly lovely and blessed week
  • Posted: July 24, 2017 18:05

Marni Holmes

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm in total agreement with the rest of your commenters! Serious talent girl! Bet you wish you could just grab 'em and go on a trip. Lol! Maybe you can create that next!
    • Posted: July 25, 2017 05:47

LOL, every morning when I wake up it sure does feel like I just want to grab them and go somewhere exotic. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Marni
      • Posted: July 31, 2017 18:48

Natalie Noel Hughes

I absolutely LOVE this! You did an amazing job giving character to each drawer and they complement each other so well. Question- How did you attach the handles securely?
        • Posted: August 1, 2017 05:33

Thank you so much Natalie. All of the handles have been screwed into the drawers with wood screws.
          • Posted: August 3, 2017 01:30

Christine

This is so creative....I LOVE it and have started looking for a dresser and kicking myself for all the old purses I have purged :) Am I stating the obvious, that it would be best to have drawers that glide easily? Most old second hand dressers I have looked at have sticky drawers and I'd be worried about the stress on the handles....have you had any issues with that?
          • Posted: August 3, 2017 12:38

I'm glad you like it Christine. Our bureau is also quite old and one of the bottom drawers tends to stick a little. The handles have held up nicely, they've all been screwed in. Hope that helps
  • Posted: July 10, 2017 18:15

Lenora

Amazing, I would almost consider, destroying good luggage to do this.
    • Posted: July 11, 2017 07:51

LOL, Lenora. Thank you but I hope you find some old luggage somewhere first
  • Posted: July 8, 2017 06:25

Barbara Sweetwood

I can't even begin to express how much I love this!!!!!! So wonderful. Thank you for sharing! You have great talent.
    • Posted: July 8, 2017 06:26

Thank you Barbara, that really means a lot. Have a happy weekend
    • Posted: July 10, 2017 19:45

Autumn

Hi, I just wanted to say that 95% of the time I'm really disappointed in the projects I find on DIY Idea Center and the other sites affiliated with it. Whoever is doing the description titles for the projects is wasting their talents because almost all of the "great" projects really suck! This one however, is absolutely fantastic!!!! I'm going out right now to see what I can find for old luggage! You guys are super creative and thank you so much for sharing this amazing project! 😃😄😁😊☺😀😆
      • Posted: July 11, 2017 07:51

Thank you so very much Autumn, that's such a lovely thing to say and I really appreciate it. Good luck with your hunt for old luggage, I'm sure you'll find something :D
  • Posted: July 8, 2017 00:24

Linda Ownby

This is absolutely amazing! You are an artist!
    • Posted: July 8, 2017 06:23

• Posted: July 7, 2017 20:56

Laura

Wow! I want this! Your eye for detail and vision for the completed project came together beautifully. I will make plans to do something similar on a smaller scale. Thank you so much for sharing.
    • Posted: July 8, 2017 06:24

Thank you so much Laura, I'm really happy you like it. Please let me know how yours turned out. I would love to see it
  • Posted: July 7, 2017 17:29

Jeanne

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing!
    • Posted: July 8, 2017 06:24

Thank you very much Jeanne, I appreciate that
  • Posted: July 7, 2017 11:42

Anonymous

I absolutely LOVE this! Thank you for sharing. I marvel at your vision. I would never think of anything like this.
    • Posted: July 7, 2017 13:03

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate that
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 12:05

Averil Bell

wow i love it!!!
    • Posted: June 28, 2017 13:24

• Posted: June 12, 2017 03:13

Kim @Hunt & Host

I can't stand how much I love this piece, seriously stunning!!! pinned and shared
    • Posted: June 12, 2017 07:24

Thank you very much Kim, that's such a lovely thing to say
  • Posted: June 9, 2017 22:50

Kathy A.

Just georgeous!
    • Posted: June 10, 2017 04:17

• Posted: June 4, 2017 13:37

Venessa

WOW! This is really beautiful and I like it a lot. Just love the suitcase idea. Now I know what I'm gonna do with my old chest of drawers, suitcases and old handbags. Thanx for sharing.
    • Posted: June 4, 2017 13:59

I'm so happy to hear that Vanessa. Please shout if I didn't explain anything properly and if you're willing I would love to see how your's turns out.
  • Posted: June 1, 2017 01:33

Anonymous

Cool!!!
    • Posted: June 1, 2017 06:02

• Posted: May 28, 2017 22:48

Nancy

OMG, that's the coolest EVER!!
    • Posted: May 29, 2017 04:35

• Posted: May 26, 2017 16:11

Crafty Cajun

Totally awesome. love love it!
    • Posted: May 27, 2017 04:57

• Posted: May 25, 2017 17:09

Marie|The Interior Frugalista

Oh my gosh Michelle, how did I miss this makeover. My chin has still not left the ground! LOVE LOVE LOVE this makeover - pinned, sharing, drooling. I'll never look an at old suitcase, purse or belt the same after seeing this. You rocked this girl!
    • Posted: May 26, 2017 05:36

Awww Marie, that means so much to me coming from the Queen of furniture flips and makeovers. Thank you
  • Posted: May 25, 2017 16:59

S K Simpson

Great piece. I hope I have the patience to do such a nice job as you two did. I have a couple suitcase from family that never sat level to stack. There's my beginning!🤗
    • Posted: May 26, 2017 05:40

I'm so glad to hear that. Hope you have loads of fun with yours and if you're willing I'd love to see a photo when you're done
  • Posted: May 25, 2017 02:51

Dianne

I absolutely love this dresser! It is wonderful. Yes, I am obsessed with suitcases and have a stack of them in our living room. xo Dianne
    • Posted: May 25, 2017 06:59

Thanks so much Dianne, I bet you pick up a whole bunch on your vintage treasure hunts
  • Posted: May 24, 2017 18:12

Louise Adkins

Absolutely beautiful. You did a wonderful job. Before I read your article I thought you had stacked real suitcases. What you did was better than suitcases.
    • Posted: May 25, 2017 06:53

Thank you so much Louise, we're real happy with how it turned out
  • Posted: May 24, 2017 14:36

Marilee Hird

Thank you so much for this post. I love the result, and plan to try one for myself.
    • Posted: May 24, 2017 15:26

I'm super glad you like it Marilee. Please let me know how it turns out or if you need any more info.
  • Posted: May 24, 2017 14:35

Jenny

How awesome is this?? The answer is extremely awesome! This is such a good idea - I made sure to pin it!
    • Posted: May 25, 2017 06:59

Thank you so much for the pin and the lovely comment Jenny :D
  • Posted: May 21, 2017 15:52

Julia - Vintage with Laces

OMG Michelle, I'm so in love with your chest of drawers! This is the best furniture makeover I've seen in a long time. It's brilliant and well worth all the effort. PS: Your blog hasn't been updated on Bloglovin since December.
    • Posted: May 22, 2017 06:03

Oh dear, I just can't seem to figure bloglovin' out. Somehow I ended up with two profiles and I have no idea how to fix it. I need to make a plan, thanks for the heads up and your lovely message Julia, I really appreciate it
  • Posted: May 20, 2017 23:33

Zefi

This is amazing!!! Now I'm wishing I had another chest of drawers to do this with! I will definitely start buying some of those ratty suitcases! :) Found you at Funky Junk's link party.
    • Posted: May 22, 2017 06:01

I just popped over to your blog and web site Zefi and I was blown away by your gorgeous art work. Your pet portraits are just beautiful. That's one of the best perks of joining Donna's Junk Party, we get to meet the most amazingly talented people. Thanks so very much for coming to say hi.
  • Posted: May 20, 2017 21:56

Kate Hollingsworth

This is the most amazing transformation I've ever seen! I absolutely love it! It was worth all the time and hard work - you now have a one-of-a-kind masterpiece 😀 xx
    • Posted: May 21, 2017 08:21

Thank you so much Kate, I'm couldn't be happier with how it turned out
  • Posted: May 18, 2017 23:01

mary chaisson

fantastic job on the dresser... and where oh where did you find the fleur de lis on top of it?
    • Posted: May 19, 2017 17:03

Thank you Mary. I love that Fleur de Lis mirror and we were super lucky to find it at a thrift store. I think someone marked the price wrong or something like that because it was a bargain.
  • Posted: May 18, 2017 19:09

gigi

What an absolutely amazing project!!!
    • Posted: May 19, 2017 06:43

• Posted: May 18, 2017 14:31

Handan

Oh this is fantastic, Michelle! I have to say you do have a great eye for detail. Awesome job indeed!!
    • Posted: May 18, 2017 14:54

Awww that seriously means a lot coming from you Handan. Thank you so much
  • Posted: May 17, 2017 14:20

Diane Davis

I've seen this technique before and love it! This is one of the best I've seen... I want to do this to a dresser I have but I'm having trouble finding suitcases that are cheap or suitcase handles/hardware. Is there s secret to acquiring these treasured items now that EVERYONE is looking for them?
    • Posted: May 17, 2017 15:01

I'm not sure Diane. We found our suitcases at the hospice at the very bottom of the pile. They had rips and tears in them and in most cases the frames were all bent and buckled. I'm not sure which country you're from, but in here in South Africa I often find hidden treasures at the local hospice. Perhaps a second hand clothing shop (handbags), swop shop or even the Salvation army might have something if you're from the States? I hope you come right
  • Posted: May 17, 2017 10:56

Wendi@H2OBungalow

You totally outdid yourself on this makeover! Love - love- LOVE! I'm sure it looks fantastic in your space too. Who needs to pay big bucks for a stacked suitcase look when one can be DIY'ed so well? Pinned & shared on my FB page :)
    • Posted: May 17, 2017 11:23

I know right, those suitcases have become so horribly expensive and difficult to find too. Thanks so much Wendi, I really appreciate your lovely comment
  • Posted: May 15, 2017 06:50

Linda

Beautiful!! I have a old dresser in the bedroom some of the handles are missing, picked up at a resale shop that way. This would be the perfect way to do it!!
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:15

Oh that does sound perfect for this kind of makeover Linda. I'd love to see it when you're done.
  • Posted: May 15, 2017 03:43

Suzanne

Ditto to all the above comments and a whole lot more! You are an amazingly talented couple. Can you imagine how many generations this work of art will be handed down to? Best wishes
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:15

Thank you so much Suzanne, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: May 15, 2017 01:48

Cath

Love this! Very clever, fun and still handsome enough to fit into a room's decor. Well done.
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:16

Thank you Cath, I'm glad you liked it
  • Posted: May 15, 2017 00:59

Anonymous

Best dresser drawer makeover I've ever seen. I'm going to try it on an old dresser that has been sitting around looking unloved and boring. Thanks for the wonderful tips.
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:16

Unloved and boring dressers are the best for something like this ;-)
  • Posted: May 14, 2017 17:50

Maya

Wow! I mean WOW! This is unique and I just love it!
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:17

• Posted: May 14, 2017 17:50

Amanda Porter

This is stunning! Fantastic transformation 🙂🤓
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:18

• Posted: May 14, 2017 16:04

Laurie

Absolutely amazing! I'm going to have a go at this! Will be perfect in my front room xx www.vanityandmestyle.com
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:18

Oh that's so cool Laurie, thank you so much
  • Posted: May 14, 2017 13:58

Wow, this is simply stunning! What a creative idea. I love it!
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:21

• Posted: May 14, 2017 00:26

Michelle, I'm floored by this piece, exquisitely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously this is just awesomely awesome!! You and your husband did an amazing job on this!!
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:20

Awww my friend thank you so very much
  • Posted: May 13, 2017 22:59

Vicki

This is the most creative makeover I've seen on s long time. Beautiful and amazing!
    • Posted: May 15, 2017 11:21

Wow Vicki, thank you. That means a lot coming from you. I love your stuff
  • Posted: May 13, 2017 05:08

Cristina

This is indeed epic. It looks amazing. You are so creative. Pinning it!
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 11:11

• Posted: May 13, 2017 01:51

Melissa Wiges

Wow, this is absolutely amazing!! What a creative and ingenious way of recreating a vintage suitcase look. I just pinned this for future furniture DIY ideas.
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 04:30

Thanks so much Melissa :D
  • Posted: May 12, 2017 20:11

Susan

Michelle this is probably the BEST dresser makeover I've ever seen and I've seen a million! This is definitely one for the books! Excellent job, sharing it!
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 04:32

Awwww what a lovely thing to say Susan, thank you so much
  • Posted: May 12, 2017 19:47

debrashoppeno5

You did a spectacular job. I loooove it!
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 04:32

• Posted: May 12, 2017 19:17

Sadie Seasongoods

This is INSANELY amazing. Please tell me you'll link it up to Talk of the Town next week?!?!
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 04:33

Wow Sarah, thanks so much. I'd love to join you at Talk of the Town
  • Posted: May 12, 2017 17:35

jodie

I am in awe of this!! What a fabulous idea! Jodie www.jtouchofstyle.com
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 04:34

• Posted: May 12, 2017 17:03

ELLEN

Oh, my goodness - this is the most gorgeous piece ever!! I am in absolute awe over this fabulous chest of drawers and that you made it look like a suitcase for each drawer - AMAZING!! Your husband and you certainly win first place for this project. I can't wait to share it with my son ( a lover of vintage suitcases too)! Thank-you for this wonderful post.
    • Posted: May 13, 2017 11:06

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you like it Ellen. We're super happy with how it turned out
  • Posted: May 12, 2017 15:52

Julie@CutOffintheKeweenaw

Spectacular! Just spectacular! I happen to have a dresser you could make over in the exact same manner. Let me know when you can come!
    • Posted: May 12, 2017 16:06

HeeeHaaa I'm on my way Julie ;-) I've been dying to see what Keweenaw looks like in real life
  • Posted: May 11, 2017 01:26

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

I'm sooo impressed with this! Truly a work of art! I love old suitcases too, and they are expensive nowadays. You transformed the chest. I really thought I was looking at a stack of suitcases! Wish you could make me one!
    • Posted: May 11, 2017 08:36

I'd make you one in a flash if I could afford to ship it to you Florence ;-)
  • Posted: May 10, 2017 14:16

Nikki

Michelle, this is a work of art. I absolutely love it!!! You are so creative. I have always loved this look too, but didn't know how to achieve it. Although this took time and elbow grease it is so worth it in the end.
    • Posted: May 10, 2017 15:29

Thanks so much Nikki, I really appreciate it. We're so happy with how it turned out. Every time I go into the bedroom, I do a little happy dance because our t-shirts are living in suitcases we made, elbow grease and all ;-)
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 20:12

O M G, This is really amazing, a real creative work, I have never seen something like this before. Sticker on it is really cool and the colour is awesome.
    • Posted: May 10, 2017 08:29

Aaawwww Thank You Sadhna
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 19:22

Sarah - Craft Invaders

This is a beautiful piece of furniture, such a clever idea. Off to pin it everywhere :)
    • Posted: May 10, 2017 07:12

Thanks so much Sarah :D
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 09:30

Oh Michelle she is a beauty! I LOVE it! Y'all did a wonderful job! I would love to get my hands on some vintage suitcases. I see so many cute things made from them. Out of all that I've seen yours take the cake. 😊❤❤
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 12:02

Thanks so very much Linda and all of the suitcases we chopped up for the dresser probably date from the 70s so they're not even vintage ;-)
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 05:49

joannamatt@mightyessays

This is amazing!I love vintage stuff and my grandparents gifted their trunks to me on my birthday.This is awesome and the best creative thing to do with.Thanks a ton for posting this. Love, Joanna
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 06:50

Awww that's such a lovely gift Joanna. Glad you liked the dresser makeover
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 05:15

Belinda

Oh! My! Word! You are genius! I have the stack of cases x2 one in my lounge and the other in my dining room, but this is so much better! Brilliant job and great explanation. Nice to see a fellow South African posting.
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 06:52

What a great surprise Belinda. Us South Africans tend to be a really shy bunch and I hardly ever get comments from my fellow country woman. Thank you so much for reaching out and for your lovely comment
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 01:57

Jas @All that's Jas

You're making me sick! In a good way, though :) I've been writing sentences and erasing them, then started over and so on. I just can't find the right words to describe how fabulous this is. But, you know that already! I'd pay big bucks for a dresser like this (If I had any money, lol).
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 06:54

That means a lot Jas, thank you so much :D Now you can make your own and it won't cost alot. Most people just throw their broken suitcases away
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 00:47

Angie ~ ambient wares

I can't take it! This is too beautiful, Michelle. You both did an amazing job and using actual suitcase/luggage/purse parts is smart, smart, smart. It's beautiful. I just can't say it enough. Pinned & sharing :)
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 06:55

Thank you for the pins and the shares and the love Angie ;-)
  • Posted: May 9, 2017 00:38

TwoPlusCute

You asked whether it was worth the time. YES, yes it was! Masterpiece, so beautifully done. Unique piece (I have a thing for unique), using self control with the colors made this piece cohesive, the touch of adding the stickers is brilliant (and not overdone). I could go on for days. It's one of the best - if not THE best - suitcase themed creation I have seen. This (master)piece should bring home a lot of money if you ever sell it. Really really should. It's so good. Loved the ingenious stencil. I'll share around with the world. I leave this comment here with my last thought:"what an interesting piece of furniture!" It turns heads guys, well done!
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 06:59

Wow Dione, thank you so much. I'm really glad you like what we did. It took a while, but when that last drawer went in it just felt so good.
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 21:45

Mary - the boondocks blog

I am so impressed with this project I cannot tell you enough how impressed I am! It must have taken a long time to do this but it was soooo worth it. A true labor of love. And if you need any more hardware I think I have a few extra suitcases in the basement.
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 07:01

LOL Mary, I swear I'm coming to raid that basement of yours before you move to NY. All the treasures just waiting to be turned into something new. Thanks my friend, I'm glad you it
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 21:35

This is beyond amazing, Michelle!! I looove suitcase chest of drawers and yours is the most beautiful I've seen. The color palette you chose is perfect, and adding leather to the front drawer makes it feel like a real suitcase. The labels add the perfect charm.
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 07:04

Coming from a master decorator like yourself, that means a lot Pili. Congrats on being one of the top 150 woodworking and craft blogs. You deserve it
      • Posted: May 12, 2017 15:41

Thanks so much my friend
        • Posted: May 12, 2017 16:08

You soooooo deserve it Pili
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 20:44

OMG Michelle, you guys did such an amazing job with this dresser, it truly is one of a kind, I've never quite seen anything like it! You are so talented and yes, I think it was totally worth all the work! Congratulations!
    • Posted: May 9, 2017 07:05

Thank you so much Katrin, we're so happy with how it turned out. Hope you have a lovely week
  • Posted: May 8, 2017 19:51