How to Make a Romantic Candle Holder Using CD Cases

The weather is so lovely here at the moment that we’ve been spending most of our evenings outside. We’ll light a few candles and just look at the stars and chat about nothing and everything. Isn’t candle light just so magical? There’s only one problem though. Mother Nature is still doing some spring cleaning and when she puts that windy vacuum cleaner of hers on she tends to blow out all the candles 😉 We needed a romantic candle holder.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

Ain’t that pretty? The inspiration for the romantic candle holder came from this gorgeous Thinlits Die that the Sizzix team sent us to try out for free. It’s called Meadow Flowers. When I opened the package I just fell in love with the pattern. We’re very lucky that they chose us to be one of their creative partners and we’ve had so much fun making things, like our fairy toadstool and arrow bookends.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

As luck would have it the Thinlits Die fits perfectly onto a CD case. And we had a whole bunch of empty ones that needed to be recycled.

What You Need for the Romantic Candle Holder

To make the romantic candle holder you need the following:

• 5 empty CD cases, just the lids
  • Adhesive card stock. Normal card stock and spray adhesive will also work
  • Scissors and all purpose glue. I love using E6000 because it sticks anything to anything 😉
  • Sizzix Meadow Flowers Thinlits Die or a pretty stencil
  • Frosted spray paint (optional)

Making the Candle Holder

Start by removing the lids from the CD cases and cutting off the end bits. You can break them off or use a pair of scissors, but scissors is probably better since it leaves a cleaner cut.

How to Make a Romantic candle votive from empty CD Cases

Die cut the Meadow Flowers onto four pieces of card stock. Sizzix kindly sponsored the hand operated Big Shot, which means we have to crank that handle a bit to get the die to go through. But that’s good for the biceps, right!!? 😉  Remove the backing on the self adhesive card stock and carefully align the beautifully cut dies onto the lids of four CD cases and stick down. If you don’t have access to a die cutting machine you could use a pretty stencil instead.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

Spray the back of the CD cases lightly with a frosted glass spray paint. The frosted glass paint gives the candle holder a mysterious, soft look that I abSooooooLutely love.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

While you wait for the paint to dry, stick a piece of card stock to the 5th CD case lid. This will form the bottom of the romantic candle holder. Once the paint is dry, glue the four sides together to form a cube and then glue the cube onto the bottom.

How to Make a Romantic candle votive from empty CD Cases

Add a candle. Not too big, you don’t want the plastic to melt 😉 CD cases are made from general purpose polystyrene (GPPS) and will melt if they come into direct contact with the flame. So just be careful and make sure the candle has a stable base so it can’t fall over.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

Doesn’t it look lovely?

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

Now Mother Nature can vacuum as much as she wants and our candles will still cast a warm romantic glow.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

The romantic candle holder also look lovely unlit, and would make an adorable vase or you could use it as a pencil caddy in your craft room.

How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

I’d love to hear what you think? Have you  #recycled any CD cases lately? What did you use them for?

Don’t forget to pin if you like this idea 😉
How to make a romantic candle holder from empty CD Cases

Pinny Please

Oh before I forget, if you don’t want to go to the trouble of finding some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more crafty ideas to share with you 😉

10 Standard Empty Clear Replacement CD Jewel Boxes with Clear Inner Trays (Assembled) - CDBIS10CL
ORACAL 651 Permanent Vinyl, 12' x 6', Black
Sale Sizzix 660340 Big Shot Plus Cutting/Embossing Machine, White/Gray

Wishing you a beautifully craft filled week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts, Trash to Treasure

Comments

• Posted: February 6, 2018 18:10

Rupa

I fond your blog just this week via pinterest. I love this project as I do some of the others too. Your crafts are elegant, they look professional and beautiful. Your detailed tuts are extremely helpful. I am in love with this CD recycling project as I have many clear cases as well as colorful ones. Thank you so much!
    • Posted: February 7, 2018 05:13

I'm so glad you found us in this big blogging cosmos of ideas Rupa. Thank you so much for your lovely words. It absolutely makes my day when someone takes a few minutes of their very valuable time and spends it with us 💛
  • Posted: December 30, 2017 12:49

Su

Can you please confirm what glue you used to stick all together please?
    • Posted: December 31, 2017 05:05

Hi Su, I used E-6000 to stick the CD cases together
  • Posted: October 30, 2017 15:10

Lois

I love your CD craft. I have some red ones so they will look good for Christmas Gifts. I will use a wooden coaster under the candle for safety purposes. I am in a Craft Class twice a month and this would make a great craft for our members (we have guys & gals).
    • Posted: October 30, 2017 15:36

I love the idea of using red CD cases for Christmas Lois. That is going to look so, so awesome
  • Posted: October 26, 2017 05:16

Rena Christodoulou

Very clever! I have many of them and I 'll try to make some.
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 04:35

Thanks so much Rena 😀
  • Posted: October 25, 2017 15:29

Michelle, this is a beautiful and clever repurpose of CD cases and I love the design!! What a great solution to keep those candles from being extinguished.
    • Posted: October 25, 2017 15:50

Isn't that design just so beautiful? I was so happy whnen Sizzix sent us that one
  • Posted: October 23, 2017 20:53

Roamy sarganser

Hello Michelle I do say I have 2 left hands when it comes to creative matters, but your post has really inspired me. Im not trying to be the best out there but I`m really tempted to give this a try.Thanks for sharing,this is really lovely.
    • Posted: October 24, 2017 09:41

Thanks so much Roamy, that means alot to me
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 08:31

Ok... this is something that only you could think ! I am so impressed once more! I love all the white and black details :)
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 09:50

🙂 Thank you Christina. I was just think how lovely it would look with those gorgeous napkin pillow cases you made for the bedroom.
      • Posted: October 20, 2017 09:01

You are absolutely right! I had not think that!!!
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 15:19

Oh gosh, Michelle. What an adorable and beautiful idea. I have so many cases and this would be the perfect way to utilize them. I love the pattern you chose too. Thanks so much for sharing. I love your inspiring crafts.
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 15:35

😀 Thank you Carolann 😀
  • Posted: October 13, 2017 13:43

Mia

Wow! What a great idea, Michelle! I will definitely try it! Kisses, my friend.
    • Posted: October 13, 2017 14:47

Thanks so much Mia xoxoxoxo
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 16:56

Candy Rachelle

While I am not a DIYer, I think this is really creative. And it turned out so beautifully. Great job with this one!
    • Posted: October 12, 2017 08:18

Thanks so much Candy
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 16:27

This looks so cute. You are so very creative and talented. This DIY candle holder looks so stylish perfect for home decoration.
    • Posted: October 12, 2017 08:18

Thank you Elizabeth, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 15:10

MinhNguyen

You are a creative person, very good idea. I think candles it when lit up symbolize a lot of different meanings. This is a great idea for the upcoming Christmas season.
    • Posted: October 12, 2017 08:19

They would be perfect for Christmas, thanks so much Minh
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 15:00

Tara

This is so cool! I never would have thought of something so crafty from something so seemingly one-purposed. Such a great gift idea or just for your own repurposing - beautiful!!
    • Posted: October 12, 2017 10:06

Thanks so much Tara :D
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 09:37

Naomi Destiny

Wow! These are so cool and lovely, I never would have thought one can use empty plastic CDS for candle holders. Would definitely try them out!
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 09:48

Thanks so much Naomi, hope you get to try making them
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 08:32

Pooja Kawatra

This is such a creative way and will try to make one for myself. Yesterday only I have attended a workshop on candle making and was so fascinated.
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 09:35

That's so great Pooja. I'd love to go to a workshop like that
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 03:47

Tee

This is sooo pretty! I wish I could be this creative. I'm gonna try this for christmas.
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:08

Thanks so much for you kind words Tee, they would look lovely at Christmas
  • Posted: October 11, 2017 01:28

Shubhada Bhide

Oh this is really smart and such a cute idea.. Would love to try this. I will do it with my kids I'm sure it will be fun!
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:16

The kids would really enjoy making these Shubhada 🙂
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 21:26

Bea

I will never be enough amazed by your creativity Michelle!! Reusing CD case, making them stylish and turning it into a Candle Holder? Absolutely wonderful AND Pretty!!
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:10

🙂 Thank you Bea
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 18:44

Courtney Blacher

This is so creative, I would have never thought about this! I need to check out if I have any cd cases.
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:15

🙂 Glad you like it Courtney, hope you find some CD cases 🙂
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 18:42

Carolina

oh its really cute, i have a lote of CDs en my home i do my best to make some for my friends i think it is a great gift. i'll come back when i have the others materials :)
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:14

They do make lovely, inexpensive gifts if you've got some old CD cases lying around 🙂
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 18:26

Vanessa Delia

Now that is a neat little craft! Never thought about making my own candle holder like this!
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:13

Thanks so much Vanessa and it's so easy to do too
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 15:54

Ana Ro

This is such a great idea! I love the pattern too. Now you made me regret that I thrown all my cd-cases into recycling container some time ago. Will check, whether some are left by any chance. :)
    • Posted: October 11, 2017 05:12

Oh that's a pity Ana, hope you find some 🙂
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 12:01

Angie ~ Ambient Wares

Oh wow, Michelle. You've done it again. These old CD cases are perfect as the housing for candles. A Sizzix seems like the perfect crafting partner ;)
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 15:47

Thank you Angie, we are so incredibly lucky to have been chosen as a Sizzix creative partner. I love the dies they send me every few months. I just wish I had more time to play with them all
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 06:49

Julia - Vintage with Laces

You are such a clever girl, Michelle! This is a very lovely and creative idea, and of course a fabulous upcycling project! I do get your blogposts on Bloglovin' now. Yeahhh!!! :) Thank you so much for your kind words on the death of our kittens. You're so sweet, my friend! I know you're an animal lover as well who cares a lot for her furry family members. ♥ xo Julia
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 15:39

My heart broke for you Julia. It was so terribly sad. I hope Cosmo is doing better now
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 05:03

Samantha

I really like this idea! What a great way to upcycle CD cases! I love the design you used! It is pretty with or without candlelight,
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 15:38

Thanks so much Samantha :D
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 20:57

Amy

Wow, this is gorgeous. I love the thinlits die! Stunning pattern. Your evenings of sitting out under the stars sound wonderful, and I'm sure these create just the right ambience. Love it!
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:50

Thanks so much Amy and your right that pattern is really pretty. I can't wait to try it on something else
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 20:30

Emily Terrell

These look amazing! I am slowly learning how to craft from what I have around the house, but truly would never have thought of this idea! I love the ease of how you put them together. I think the next time I have loose cd cases, I'm going to have to try this.
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:53

Thanks so much Emily. Our homes are always our biggest craft store, there are so many things we can repurpose
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 20:08

This is so pretty Michelle! Brilliant way to use up all the empty CD cases, and we have lots of those. Don't know what the hubby does with the CD's but they never make it back into their cases. I LOVE LOVE that pattern. I haven't heard of the Thinlits Die, but it sure looks like a handy little tool.
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:54

:D Linda, we've got the exact same problem here. Those CD's seem to disappear into thin air
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 18:48

Erica D Ardali

What an awesome DIY! It looks chic and romantic but easy to make. Thanks for the steps. I think I might be inspired to get to work on the DIY's I have planned in my head.
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:55

Thanks so much Erica, I hope you get to do all those DIYs. It's loads of fun
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 17:10

Joanna

What a great idea! I have literally just thrown away probably about 150 dvds. I could have kept a few cases if I knew about this beautiful diy candle holder. I use candles a lot in my house because i love their pretty aroma.
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:56

I'm kinda addicted to those scented candles. They're the best
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 16:32

Michelle these are so pretty. I have always been wondering what to do with the CD cases and this to me is such a lovely solution. It looks so professional with your machine. I can only imagine the ambiance it must create. Beautiful and very creative!
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 17:07

Thank you Mary. I'm still a little dumb founded that Sizzix picked us as a creative team member. I'm so grateful though. Their dies are beautiful
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 14:32

Donquita (Dee)

I love candles. But i am usually bad at DIY projects but with your instructions I might not be that bad lol
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 14:41

This is a real easy one to do. Just cut and paste ;-) Thanks for saying hi though Dee, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 14:21

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

I haven't done a thing with any of my CD cases, or junk CD's in them. I have a ton of them though. I love this little upcycle Michelle! Those candle holders are so pretty with the stencil backing.
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 14:42

Thanks so much Florence. Since memory sticks came out we have tons of CD's that have no purpose anymore, so we might as well re-purpose them
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 13:23

It is a rainy/cloudy day here as well and looking at those candle holders, I feel I need my own. How cool that Thinlits Die were the perfect size as a CD case! And how cool that you thought of this idea in the first place. I do not own any CDs, and have no idea wha happened to all the ones that I did own a decade back - but if I did - I would have sent them all to you - haha - as I have mentioned before, I do not have a DIY bone in my body but you sure inspire me with your creativity. You can definitely sell these on etsy. Right? :)
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 14:44

LOL Tanvi, if you ever find those CD's, send them over. I'll make something just for you 🙂
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 11:30

Michelle, your candle holder really does have such a romantic vibe to it, you would never guess it´s made from cd cases, brilliant! And I really like the black flowers you chose, especially this time of year. That is one cool machine you´ve got!
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 12:13

:-) Aren't they just beautiful. I was so impressed with how nicely the Big Shot cut the pattern out. The detail is lovely