Make a Bandana Heart Pillow

I love bandanas, they can be used for so many different things; tie a bandana around your  head for a trendy boho look, sew them together make a huge picnic blanket or you can make an easy no sew pillow.

Bandana heart pillow

Bandana heart pillow

Just grab two bandanas and your pinking shears.

What you need to make a bandana heart

What you need to make a bandana heart

Place the bandanas on top of each other wrong side facing inwards, fold the bandanas in half and cut out a half heart shape.

Cut the bandana into a heart shape

Cut out a heart shape

Fold the hearts open keeping the two bandanas on top of each other. Use pinking shears to cut a fringe around the heart shaped bandanas. The fringe pieces should be at least 6.5 cm long and 2.5 cm wide. Anything shorter than 6.5 cm long will be difficult to weave and if the fringe is too long, you pillow will be a bit small. Fold the fringe over and make a small slit on the fold. You’ll use the slit to “weave” the edges of the pillow, so the smaller the better.

Cut the fringe and make a small slit

Cut the fringe and make a small slit

Turn the the fringe strips up and squish them into a little sausage and then pull them down, through the slit.

Make a tube and weave through the slit

Make a tube and pull it through the slit

Tug tightly and repeat

Tug tightly and repeat

Tug gently to tighten.

(Post update: I had so many beautiful comments on the bandana heart – thank you, but it seems the pics on how to weave the fringe aren’t descriptive enough so here’s a video that might help.)

Continue weaving the fringe and periodically flip your heart over to make sure you haven’t missed any lonely little fringe pieces – you’ll end up with a wonky heart if you do. Leave the last five fringe pieces, stuff the heart and then finish off the pillow by weaving the last few pieces.

Snuggling with Merlin

Snuggling with Merlin

Find your favourite snuggle cat and cuddle up with your bandana pillow.

P.S. Here’s a handy cm to inches converter if you don’t use the metric system.

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: February 3, 2016 09:42

Dee

I'm not the craftiest person in the world (I would safely say I am craft challenged, but I keep trying). I love this and I'm happy to see a way to use my old bandanas!
    • Posted: February 3, 2016 09:56

Hey Dee, so glad you liked it. Let me know how the pillow turns out.
  • Posted: February 3, 2016 14:46

Anne

Cute! I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this morning that features your tutorial: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/?p=86511 --Anne
    • Posted: February 4, 2016 06:03

• Posted: February 3, 2016 14:47

Tutorial: No-sew bandana heart pillow – Sewing

[…] Make a Bandana Heart Pillow, by A Crafty Mix […]
  • Posted: February 3, 2016 18:20

Kelly Brito

Oh, I freaking adore this. Well, I'm REALLY into anything handmade and have a passion for DIY. I'm adding this to my weekend to-do list (planning to do a pink and white for my kiddo's bedroom). :)
    • Posted: February 4, 2016 06:04

Wow Kelly, please share some photos when you're done. I'd love to see it.
  • Posted: February 3, 2016 19:06

Ali

must have a go at this as I am clumsy and can't sew and struggle following instructions, I may even be able to do this.
  • Posted: February 3, 2016 19:13

Ali

struggling with the notion of the slit and little sausage thing, welcome to my brain.
    • Posted: February 3, 2016 20:38

Yvonne

Yeah, I'm not quite getting that part either. Is the slit through both sides of fringe? Then threading (rolled up tube?) both ends through the slit?
    • Posted: February 3, 2016 23:47

Anonymous

Me too, I don't get it. :-(
    • Posted: February 4, 2016 05:59

Hi Ali, sorry about that. I'll try update the post as soon as I get a chance. Maybe I need to take better photos.
    • Posted: February 5, 2016 13:23

Mimi

Me too. Maybe if you take a picture of the fringe after the slit is cut but before the weaving starts so we can see the orientation of the slit? I think I can see it but not sure how the 2 fringe pieces go through it.
      • Posted: February 5, 2016 18:27

I really need to take better pics :-( I've got some time this weekend and will definitely update the post. Thank you for the comment.
    • Posted: February 5, 2016 14:16

Leslie

Hi, I was also confused by the directions, so as usual I needed an answer now and I started to Google bandana pillows. I got all kinds of hits but none for the no knot kind. I plugged in "no knot bandana pillow" and I found a tutorial that is clear on how to dothe no sew fringe. This is for a blanket but it can be translated into the pillow idea. http://www.sandicrafts.com/no-sew-blanket-knot-tying/ <-- I can never get the link to post correctly so just copy and paste it to your browser...good luck :)
      • Posted: February 7, 2016 07:06

Oh you beautiful woman, thank you for sharing the link. You are a super star :-)
  • Posted: February 3, 2016 20:01

karyn

Great idea! Love the "weave" rather than tying knots. Seems to be much neater finish.
    • Posted: February 4, 2016 06:05

Thanks for the lovely comment Karyn. Those knots do tend to hurt when you're cuddling.
  • Posted: February 5, 2016 15:11

artmarketing

I will teach this to others in my art company awesome Idea
  • Posted: February 5, 2016 18:46

Stacy

Oh wow. Great idea. Can you do this with a regular square shape as well? I guess any shape would work? I love it and am going to make some this weekend with my daughters!
  • Posted: February 6, 2016 19:17

Judy

Where do you cut the slit? When you say weave the Fringe ,I'm totally lost.
  • Posted: February 7, 2016 02:27

Edith Williams

Where can I get the pattern for the lovely afghan the pillow is sitting on?
    • Posted: February 7, 2016 06:53

Hi Edith, I wish I could help with the pattern but I found the gorgeous afghan at a little antique shop called "Borrowed and Blue @ Cullinan Junction" . If I remember correctly, the afghan belonged to the owner's gran, maybe she can help with the pattern.
  • Posted: February 8, 2016 17:34

Maarit

Must try!
  • Posted: February 10, 2016 03:53

Brenda

OMG! I love it! I have so many bandannas and with your wonderful tutorial, now I will have many lovely bandanna pillows. Thank you!!
    • Posted: February 10, 2016 05:58

Hi Brenda, thank you so much for your lovely comment. Really appreciate it and would love to see your finished pillow.
  • Posted: February 11, 2016 11:13

19 Valentine's Day Ideas You Can Leave Up All Year Long | News Cellar

[…] 1. Tie your own plush pillow from bandanas Project via A Crafty Mix […]
  • Posted: February 11, 2016 13:27

19 Valentine’s Day Ideas You Can Leave Up All Year Long – Jody Minns's Notes

[…] 1. Tie your own plush pillow from bandanas Project via A Crafty Mix […]
  • Posted: February 11, 2016 21:01

Valentine

I'm still having trouble with the dip on the heart when it comes to tieing it. I'm not getting it, I tryed to load your video but it not working.
    • Posted: February 12, 2016 06:54

Hi, can you send me the error message. It's the first time I've uploaded a video so I may have done something silly.
  • Posted: February 13, 2016 16:41

Valentine

When I hit video it doesn't upload to my phone. So I tried it on Google and it came up but its not showing how to make a loop on the dip of the heart. I get how to make the cut and Loop it in but I'm having trouble with the dip.
    • Posted: February 13, 2016 18:36

Hi V, glad the video worked but really sorry you're still having a problem. I sent you a personal email to try and explain. Let me know if it helps.
  • Posted: February 21, 2016 17:34

Sandi

Why can't measurements be in inches and not cm?
    • Posted: February 22, 2016 07:11

Hi Sandi, valid point. We use the metric system in South Africa so it's second nature to measure everything in mm or cm. I believe the only countries in the world who haven't converted to the metric system are the States and Liberia. To make things easier I must remember to add a link to convert inches to cm in my posts.
  • Posted: May 5, 2016 18:15

Mary-the boondocks blog

Michelle this is such a cute idea. I used this technique to make a pillow from an old fleece scarf. I love that there is no sewing involved. Easy and pretty.
    • Posted: May 6, 2016 14:11

Thank you Mary. It really is so easy once you get the hang of it. Thanks for the visit and hope you had a lovely Easter.
  • Posted: June 14, 2016 18:05

Skylynn

I can't get the video to load and would love to try it, but am coming up shy on how the slit works for weaving. Does the slit go in both pieces and then you roll both pics to weave through it?
    • Posted: June 15, 2016 15:37

Hi, yes the slit is in both pieces and you scrunch/roll both pieces together, push them through the slit and pull tight. It's kinda like threading a needle, the slit is the eye of the needle and the longer bits of the bandana are the thread. Hope that makes sense? Let me know if you need more and I'll try my best to explain it better.
  • Posted: August 24, 2016 21:10

Cute bandana heart. I have always loved heart crafts. Love that blue, and how you did the fringe.
    • Posted: August 25, 2016 07:38

Yay, thank you Linda. They're easy and almost therapeutic to make
  • Posted: August 31, 2016 11:18