DIY Rustic Square Ornaments and Free Printables

One of the things I hate about Christmas is having to take down all the decorations after the festive season. It’s even worse when the decorations are in a holiday home. Seriously, who wants to spend the last few days on holiday worrying about taking down all those ornaments and trying to find somewhere to put them. Not me. We just don’t have the space or the time to do that. So I’m on a mission to make small things that can stay up all year, but still add a little Christmas cheer. Like these rustic square ornaments.

Rustic square ornaments that can stay up all year long. Includes free printables. #ChristmasOrnaments #HomeDecor #ChristmasDeecor #RusticOrnaments #SquareOrnaments

They’re beautiful, easy to make, and meaningful too. I’m all for spreading the message of hope, love and joy throughout the year.

What you need to make rustic square ornaments

• Scrap pieces of 2 x 2
  • Pretty paper, photos or these free printables
  • Ribbon, string or twine to hang
  • Paint or wood stain
  • Mod Podge
  • Eye screws
  • Sandpaper
  • Frame
  • A hand saw

How to Make the rustic square ornaments

Using a hand saw cut the 2 x 2s to make square blocks. Here’s a interesting fact for you. A 2 x 2 isn’t actually 2 inches by 2 inches. It’s smaller than that, roughly 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches (38 x 38 mm).  When the lumber yards cut the wood it’s still wet but it shrinks after it’s kiln-dried, so you end up with something that’s a bit smaller than the original cut measurements. So you’ll be cutting the left over 2 x 2s into 1 1/2 inches.

Sand away any rough bits.

And stain or paint the square blocks. Since our decor style is warm and rustic, with a touch of boho, I chose to paint the squares a beautiful coppery brown. Screw an eye hook into one corner.

Confession time: Getting those little eye hooks into the corners was probably the hardest part of making these rustic, square ornaments 😀 If you struggle to get them in the corners, don’t worry, you can just glue the blocks to a ribbon or piece of string when you’re done decorating them instead.

Decorating the Rustic Square Ornaments

I wanted the ornaments to convey a message that would capture the spirit of Christmas, without being too ummmmmmm…………Christmassy. Does that make sense? For me Christmas is all about love and the pure joy of giving. Everyone seems so hopeful and. for a while the world seems like a better place. So I chose to use Hope, Joy and Love for the ornaments. I found this amazing resource where you can download free vintage dictionary pages and music sheets, which made things so much easier. All I needed to do was resize the images, draw a heart, bell and star and find a pretty font to write out the words. I’ve saved you the trouble and you can download the full set here if you like.

Once the images had been cut out, I lightly burnt the edges to “soften” them up before mod podging them onto the square blocks. Add a ribbon or a piece of string and they’re ready to be hung.

Not bad for 10 minutes worth of work. Okay maybe 15 minutes, because of those darm eye screws 😉

We put ours in a frame, but they’ll look good hanging on your Christmas tree too. Or you can use them as part of your table decor.

I’m thinking of making a few more to give as gifts. Maybe mod podge some picture of the kids on them for their Grandparents. What would you put on yours?

If you like the idea, don’t forget to pin it for later

What about you? Do you hate packing away the decorations too? Oh and by the way if you’re struggling to find some of the things we used, I’ve got you covered Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and craft ideas for you;-)

Sale American Crafts 341310 Music Paper, Multi
8 Fillable CUBE 45mm Clear Glass Ball Christmas Bauble Ornaments
Black Walnut Lumber Turning Squares - 2' x 2' (4 Pcs) (2' x 2' x 8')

Wishing you everything that’s beautiful and true this festive season. I hope it brings you nothing but fond memories, love and laughter. See you in the new year.

Categories:   Craft Tutorials, Holiday Crafts, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: January 16, 2019 02:45

Amy

These are gorgeous, Michelle! And I absolutely adore them hanging in the picture frame. I'm seriously copying this and putting it in my own home. :) And I have a love/hate relationship with packing away seasonal decor. I love the change, but sometimes hate the process.
    • Posted: January 16, 2019 05:03

Thanks so much Amy, I'm glad you liked them and copy away. That always makes my heart happy when someone enjoys the things we share enough to want to make some for themselves 💞
  • Posted: January 14, 2019 02:30

Jas @All that's Jas

Another amazing project! Love this, Michelle! How do you come up with ideas? Do they come to you in a dream? You're like an inexhaustible well of ideas! Also, do you sell your craft on Etsy? You really should. Hugs!
    • Posted: January 14, 2019 14:17

🙊 Awwwwww thank you Jas. And no we don't sell on Etsy, maybe one day when I retire. Now we just make things for our own home. xoxoxoxo
  • Posted: January 3, 2019 04:26

Julia @ Vintage with Laces

These ornaments are so adorable, Michelle. I love the rustic look. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you a healthy, happy and successful 2019, and many creative projects.
    • Posted: January 13, 2019 05:23

And a happy New year to you too my friend 💞
  • Posted: January 1, 2019 07:24

Such great materials were used! They are so cute and perfect for decorations anywhere at home. I love it!
    • Posted: January 13, 2019 05:22

Thanks so much Elizabeth 😉
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 20:46

Sue-Tanya Mchorgh

These are so cute! I love how easy this is to make, I think I'll give it a try.
    • Posted: December 31, 2018 09:25

Thanks so much Sue-Tanya, I'm glad you like them. Have fun 🙂
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 19:14

Justyna Butler

These are amazinG! I try to buy things that are winter themed and this way it is so much easier to enjoy them just a bit longer!
    • Posted: December 28, 2018 12:22

Thank you Justyna 😍 I'm really glad you like them
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 16:05

Jackline A

Wow! I just love the look of these! So unique. I never thought I'd say this but you definitely can have Christmas without the glitter!
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 13:02

Kimberley

These are really cute! Thanks for sharing
    • Posted: December 29, 2018 05:31

You're most welcome Kimberly. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 05:32

Rachael Eberhardt

Wow, that handicrafts were so beautiful! And 15 minutes? Seriously? Just imagining how to do that might take me an hour. Lolz
    • Posted: December 27, 2018 06:22

😀 Thanks so much Rachael. The thing that took the most time was getting the little eye screws in the corners of the blocks.
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 03:19

Blair

What an attractive diy decoration. I had to pin this one. This could be adapted for any season.
  • Posted: December 27, 2018 02:10

Danielle

These are so amazing and they look incredibly easy to make. They look like they make great decorative pieces!
    • Posted: December 27, 2018 06:24

They are easy and it's a great way to use up scrap bits of wood too. Thanks so much Danielle
  • Posted: December 19, 2018 18:23

Cute ornaments Michelle! These could be left up all year. I love the idea of putting the grandkids on the little blocks, in fact I've been wanting to do something of the grandkids on wood and these would be perfect. I have often wondered why they call them 2 by 2's or 2 by 4's when their not. Why not call them what they really are. 😉
    • Posted: December 20, 2018 03:55

It puzzled me to and then reading all about the difference between nominal and actual measurements and how wood shrinks it kinda makes sense. But it's still a bit weird 😎
  • Posted: December 19, 2018 12:58

Claire

What a fabulous idea, I don't think I've seen square ornaments before. So many possibilities!
    • Posted: December 20, 2018 03:52

🤗 Glad you like them Claire. I bet you'll come up with a few beautiful ways to change make and use square ornaments
  • Posted: December 18, 2018 17:44

Suzi McGowan

Oh my yes packing those decorations away are the worst. I love it when they go up and not even 5 minutes later start stressing about taking them down again :D this is really cool idea. I think I'll try do them with photos
    • Posted: December 20, 2018 03:50

Ugh, I know how you feel Suzi. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could wave some kind of magic wand and poof all the decorations are packed away neatly after Christmas. So happy you like these
  • Posted: December 17, 2018 23:36

Michelle these are so sweet. Love how you have them hanging from the frame like that. Such outside the box thinking. Thanks for sharing your resource with us. I am going to check it out. Merry Christmas to you my friend!
    • Posted: December 18, 2018 04:40

And Merry Christmas to you too Mary. Wishing you and your loved ones all that's beautiful and good this season
  • Posted: December 17, 2018 18:40

Your craft ideas are always so top notch. This is very different and gives me all sorts of ideas for decor. The printables are so rustic and antique looking, its gorgeous Michelle.
    • Posted: December 18, 2018 04:41

Thank you so much Leanna, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that 😍
  • Posted: December 17, 2018 17:40

The cutest little squares!! I am with ya, the worst is taking it all down, although it comes to the point somewhere in January where I feel like starting fresh. But I also love having decor up that can stay longer than just one season, so these little square ornaments are perfect for that!!
    • Posted: December 18, 2018 04:53

Thanks so much Katrin. It would be lovely if the whole spirit of Christmas could stay all year long, but I suppose then everyone would get tired of it and not see the specialness anymore.