DIY Geometric Christmas Trees

The holiday season is around the corner and one of the best parts for me is the tree!! But not everyone has space for a real thing or the time to pack away all those decorations when January rolls around. That would be me 😉 These unique, geometric Christmas trees are quick and easy to make and you can personalized them to fit your unique style. It doesn’t matter if it’s rustic and natural or modern glam, the trees look lovely and they’re budget friendly too.

Do It Yourself modern geometric Christmas trees • Two ways with these unique DIY geometric Christmas trees. Glam them up or go for a rustic, natural look. They’re fun and inexpensive to make #geometric #christmastree #easyDIY #copper #rustic #diytutorial

What You Need to Make Geometric Christmas Trees

To make these super easy trees you only need a few basic things:

• Plaster of Paris
  • Flexible chopping mat
  • Twigs or small branches

You’ll also need sticky tape, a pair of scissors, pen and paper, small mixing container and a tall glass.

Making The Mold For The Geometric Christmas Trees

Start by drawing an isosceles triangle to use as a template. The size of the triangle will determine how high and wide your geometric trees will be. Our trees are roughly 14 cm (5.5″) high and 7 cm (2.75″) wide at the base.  Use the template to cut 4 triangles from the flexible chopping mat. If you can’t find one of those mats, you can cut the template from cardboard too. Just make sure to cover it with sticky tape so it’s waterproof.

Lay the pieces side by side in the shape of a fan and tape them together along the sides. Fold the fan shape to form a triangular pyramid, aka tetrahedron. Try saying that one out loud, it’s such a cool word.

Tet Ra He Dron

Tetra Hed Ron

Te TRA Hed Ron

Okay I’ll stop now 😀 Tape the last side down over the first side so they overlap.

Now, grab that glass and place the triangular pyramid mold thingy inside, with the point facing down and the opening at the top. If the mold wobbles around inside the glass you can add some soil or dry beans to stabilize it.

Cut a square from the cutting mat and make a hole in the middle. We’ll be using that little square in a minute to keep the “trunk” of the Christmas tree in place 😉

Making the Geometric Christmas Trees

Mix up equal quantities of plaster of paris and water to form a smooth, runny paste. Pour or spoon the mixture into the mold. Give it a shake to get rid of any air bubbles. Push a small branch or twig into the hole you made earlier and place it on top of the mold. Just make sure that there’s a long enough piece of the branch inside the plaster of paris mix.

Let the plaster of paris dry completely, about 10 minutes, before removing the mold.

For the base of the tree you can either make a simple little bucket mold using this template or you buy a small galvanized bucket online. Just fill the bucket with plaster of paris and plant your geometric tree 😉

Life without geometric shapes would be pointlessClick To Tweet

Once the base has set your Christmas trees are ready to be decorated.

2 Ways to Decorate The Geometric Christmas Trees

For this post I wanted to show you two possible ways to decorate the little trees. They’re both really easy to do, but feel free to experiment and do your own thing.

Option 1 – Rustic Goodness

First up, a little rustic goodness that fits right in with the whole farmhouse look.

Tie a few pretty beads onto a piece of twine and simply drape them on the Christmas trees. If you want to use the trees as part of your table decor you could make name tags for each of your guests and tie them on instead. Combining the beads and tags would look lovely too.

Don’t forget to pin it for later if you like the rustic look.

Option 2 – Modern Glam

If modern and glamorous is more your style then the unique shape of the geometric Christmas trees is the perfect starting point to create something that’s both chic and classy.

All you need for this look is some tacky glue, a paint brush and copper leaf. I love this stuff. A little goes a long way. This booklet of 10 sheets has been used to upcycle old, unusable paint brushes and  I even used some of the leaves to “paint” the most beautiful wings for the angel portrait in our small metallic bathroom

Paint the tacky glue onto the tip of the trees and around the base and then gently brush on the copper leaf.

Place the Christmas trees on a pretty plate, add a few fairy lights and enjoy.

If you like the modern glam look don’t forget to pin this version.

These geometric trees can be used wherever you want to add a little budget friendly Christmas magic. Put them in your window sill or on the mantle. Or use them as part of your table decor. The possibilities are endless. So tell me where would you put them?

Oh and by the way if you’re struggling to find some of the things we used, we’ve got you covered. Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and craft ideas for you 😉

Sale Flexible Chopping Mats, 12' x 15' Kitchen Cutting Mats, Set of 4 by bogo Brands
Sale Bullet Face 100 Sheets 5.5 by 5.5 Inches Imitation Gold Leaf Foil Paper for Arts, Gilding Crafting, Decoration DIY (Gold)
Mouldmaster 1 Kg Plaster of Paris, White

And if you prefer to buy rather than DIY then perhaps these beauties will appeal.

Sale FLOOR | 9 Concrete Tree Figurine, Small (Christmas / Holiday Accent)
Silver Metal Tabletop Christmas Tree with Red Star Topper and Ornament Holders - 30” Tall – Vintage Look, Decorative Holiday Tree, for Indoor Use, by Clovers Decor
Sale FLOOR | 9 Gold Dipped Concrete Tree Figurine, Small (Christmas / Holiday Accent)

Until next time, wishing you a beautiful, love filled week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: November 16, 2018 17:51

Maya Kuzman

I am amazed with your ability to make such effective projects! Love these - so unique!
    • Posted: November 17, 2018 03:49

Thanks so much Maya 😊 That means a lot coming from you
  • Posted: November 8, 2018 05:38

Puja

These are such cute ideas for Christmas. A great variation from the traditional green tree.
  • Posted: November 7, 2018 18:30

Naza Holliman

OMG these are gorgeous.
  • Posted: November 7, 2018 16:46

Angela Ricardo Bethea

This unique geometric Christmas tree looks really awesome. You really did a great job hun.
    • Posted: November 7, 2018 16:51

Thanks so much Angela 💞
  • Posted: November 7, 2018 13:10

These are super cute Michelle, although I have that word stuck in my head now. lol It's great how basic the actual tree is giving you all kinds of opportunity to make them your own.
    • Posted: November 7, 2018 14:52

😂 I know that feeling. When I first heard it I couldn't stop saying it. Glad you like the geometric Christmas trees too Leanna and they are very easy to make and decorate
  • Posted: November 3, 2018 07:35

I love these Michelle, they are so unique! I especially love the copper leaf tops, really beautiful!!
    • Posted: November 3, 2018 16:22

Thanks so much Katrin 💞
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 21:06

Dorothy

I had to come over and see what that gorgeous metallic stuff was. I think... I know... that would make our concrete planters just perfect for Christmas gifts. Thank you!
    • Posted: November 3, 2018 16:28

🍻 Those concrete planters of yours are going to be perfect and the kids are going to love experimenting with you Dorothy. I'm so looking forward to your next post when you share the results 💞
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 13:33

Claire

Love these Christmas trees, they are very stylish, especially with the gold touches.
    • Posted: November 2, 2018 14:07

I'm partial to the coppery gold ones too 😉
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 12:53

Marie InteriorFrugalista

Your trees are fabulous Michelle and I'm especially fond of the copper leaf modern ones. Pinned :)
    • Posted: November 2, 2018 14:06

I happy you like them Marie and thanks so much for the pin too
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 21:26

Jess

These are so awesome! Thanks for sharing the step by step process! I feel like I could actually pull this off at home!
    • Posted: November 2, 2018 05:43

It's a huge pleasure Jess, I'm real happy you liked the geometric trees
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 14:07

Living the Gourmet

You've done such a beautiful job with these! I love making my own Christmas decor...you've definitely inspired me to make some new ornaments this year.
    • Posted: November 1, 2018 15:48

Thanks so much Catherine, I'm really glad you liked them. Happy making
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 12:55

Gail

Oh my, Michelle! These are the cutest trees ever! What a terrific ideas to use plaster paris! This is one of those out of the box ideas with unlimited possibilities! And to think you made them using an isosceles triangle to form a tetrahedron! Your teachers would be proud! Lol!
    • Posted: November 1, 2018 12:58

😄 I'll have to tell my maths teacher. I think I'm still friends with her daughter on facebook 😄
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 10:19

Tash

Oh I love these. So simple but absolutely perfect.
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 05:30

Preet

What a fun and a cute idea. I love how creative you are. I would love to try making this.
    • Posted: November 1, 2018 13:01

Thanks so much Preet and I hope you do get to try them 😉
  • Posted: November 1, 2018 03:52

Elizabeth

LOve your beautiful Geometric Christmas Trees Michelle!!! They would fit right into our apartment and I'm sure my girls will have loads of ideas on how to decorate them
    • Posted: November 1, 2018 13:04

I bet your girls will enjoy makings some of these Elizabeth. If you remember please share a picture of their version
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 20:30

Nati

this is a great idea! I don't have space for a real tree, we have a false tree (every year the same, lol) standing on a small table. These would look so lovely and modern!
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 12:47

Kita roberts

What a neat idea for Christmas crafts. I bet kids would get very excited for doing this.
    • Posted: November 1, 2018 13:05

Thanks so much Kita and yes I think kids would love making these. THey're real easy to do and they can decorate them anyway them choose
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 12:20

Michelle these are so adorable even I can make it. I actually have some plaster of paris in my cart! I love that you can do them two ways and I'm actually hard pressed to choose which one I like better!
    • Posted: October 31, 2018 12:37

I'm so happy t hear that Mary. I bet you'll come up with other wonderful ways to decorate yours too. Maybe something involving books or even that milk paint you love so much 😉
  • Posted: October 31, 2018 07:34

Catherine Santiago Jose

Wow, I love this idea, it so pretty and the instructions look so simple to follow. I'm going to try to make them for my sister and I am sure she will love it.
    • Posted: October 31, 2018 12:38

Glad you like them Catherine and I'm sure your sis will love them too, especially if they're handmade just for her
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 23:02

Katie

These are so cool and they look pretty easy to make too! I just love how you styled them especially the copper version 😎
    • Posted: October 31, 2018 12:42

Thanks so much Katie. I haven't decided which one I like more. The rustic version fits with our decor style but the copper dipped ones look so pretty with the lights
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 18:24

Kim

Just beautiful. I pinned this idea. And I think you're right, not everyone has room for a tree...or like me...the older I get the less thrilled I am about lugging out a few huge trees each year. I've found that I prefer one big tree and several small, creative accents trees peppered about instead. These definitely fit the bill!!
    • Posted: October 31, 2018 04:59

Thanks so much Kim. Big trees always look lovely but I just hate taking them down after Christmas and packing everything away. It's such a mess and it makes me sad when that space looks so bare after it's down. Small trees are the way to go.
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 16:02

Stacie

Those are really great! I love this project because it has that wonderful old school crafty vibe.
    • Posted: October 30, 2018 16:26

Yes, I like old school vibe 🤗 Thanks so much Stacie
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 12:30

Alexandra

These are absolutely stunning :) What a beautiful idea. I love the cool effect of the gold. Have to try this!
    • Posted: October 30, 2018 13:17

Thanks so much Alexandra, I'm glad you like them
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:41

oh my gosh! these trees are simply stunning! I love the gold leaf elements you added. What a perfect idea for the holidays!
    • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:54

Thanks so much Carolann. They're loads of fun to decorate
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:39

Julia @ Vintage with Laces

That's another fantastic project, Michelle! Your trees are so beautiful! I love the idea to make a template out of a chopping mat. I haven't seen them here yet but I'll keep my eyes open.
    • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:53

Thanks so much Julia 💌 I hope you do find some of those flexible chopping mats. They're so easy to store and come in so handy. I always buy them in packs of 5 and use them for all kinds of things. They're slighty see through so you can put a pattern behind them and cut material or use them to protect a surface from gluing, mod podge stuff since they're so easy to wipe clean. And they make great molds 😉
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:38

Oh Michelle! You started early! Your trees are gorgeous as it is everything you make. I love the gold details too. You know how much I love this metallic color!
    • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:47

You and me both Christina. There's just something about warm coppery tones that make me happy 💞