How to Make Baked Cotton Mushrooms

I hope you’re sitting down for this one. I’m going to be baking 😀 Shocker right!!? If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you’ll know that the oven and me will never be friends. That thing does not like me. Whatever I put inside always comes out rock hard and inedible. But I’m okay with that, especially since that’s exactly what I wanted to achieve when I made these adorable baked cotton mushrooms for this month’s Int’l Bloggers Club Challenge.

Crafting is fun. How to make baked cotton mushrooms with things you have at home. #CraftMushrooms #CottonCrafts #FairyGarden #CottonOrnaments #CraftTutorial

And in typical “Michelle v.s. Oven” fashion they’re not edible 😀 They do make the cutest addition to a fairy garden, and because they’re so light you can use them as ornaments too. But I’ll get to that in a minute 😉 Let me first tell you a little bit about the Int’l Bloggers Club (IBC). Every month a group of bloggers from around the world get together to create something using a common theme. Last month was all about paper and this month it’s cotton. You’ll be able to see all of our projects at the bottom of the post. Okay back to those baked cotton mushrooms.

What You Need to Make Baked Cotton Mushrooms

• Roll of cotton (large cotton balls work too)
  • Flour & water
  • A baking pan

See how clean and shiny mine is. Yup it’s never been used. Oven – 1: Michelle – 0 🙁

Crafting is fun. How to make baked cotton ball mushrooms with things you have at home. #CraftMushrooms #CottonCrafts #FairyGarden #CottonOrnaments #CraftTutorial

You’ll also need some acrylic paint, twigs from the garden, glue, aluminum foil, a mixing bowl and some wire.

How to Make Baked Cotton Mushrooms

Cut the wire into pieces about 12.5 cm (5″) long. Bend the wire to form a stable “base” at the bottom. The wire helps the mushroom keep it’s shape and and makes it easier when you bake them later.

Grab a piece of cotton from your roll and pull it apart lengthwise to make a thinner strip. If you’re using cotton balls unroll them to form long strips. Start at the top and slowly wind the cotton strip around the piece of wire, working your way down towards the bottom. Try to keep the cotton strip as tight as possible. When you get to the bottom, wind the cotton strip back up toward the top of the wire smoothing and twisting as you go.

Grab a second piece of cotton, and place it about a 1/3 of the way down. Use your finger to hold it in place and wrap the cotton towards the bottom.

Make a small loop at the top of the wire if you plan to use your baked cotton mushrooms as ornaments. Continue adding layers of cotton until you’re happy with the shape of your mushroom.

You can really get creative and make all kinds of cool shapes by bending the wire or adding more cotton. Once you’re happy, mix up equal quantities of flour and water to form a runny paste.

Stir well to get rid of any lumps. Drizzle the mushroom with the water and flour mixture.

You can use the back of a spoon to gently squish the mixture into the cotton and get rid of any bumps or wrinkles. And don’t forget to coat the bottom of the mushroom with the paste too 😉

Baking the Cotton Mushrooms

Scrunch up bits of aluminum foil to form balls and place them in your baking pan.

Drape the mushroom shapes over the foil before placing them inside the oven. Bake on low for about an 1 hour or until they’re hard. Let the cotton mushrooms cool down a bit before carefully removing the foil.

Take that you silly oven. Michelle – 1: Oven -1

Okay time to get creative. Glue a few twigs or sticks to the bottom of the cotton mushrooms and paint the tops with acrylic paint. To make the dots simply dip a pinhead into white paint and dot them all over 😀

If you want to use the mushrooms in a fairy garden be sure to give them a few coats of outdoor mod podge to protect them.

Don’t you just love their weird and wacky shapes? They look good grouped together …….

Or on their own.

And I love the way the flour mixture forms almost natural looking gills underneath the mushrooms.

And since they’re really light they make super cool ornaments too. Mine are going to stay in our fairy garden for a bit 😉

If you like the idea don’t forget to pin it for later.

Oh and before I forget. If you’re looking for some of the things I used to make the baked cotton mushrooms, I’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a very small commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and  craft ideas for you 😉

Fantasea Cotton Coil, 2 Count
Miniature Fairy Garden Mini Fly Agaric Mushroom Picks Set of 5
Darice 28-Gauge Beading Wire, 40-Yard, Silver

Until next time, hope you have a beautiful, creative week. Love as always

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Fairy Garden Crafts, Int'l Bloggers Club, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: October 30, 2018 09:02

Lirtea

Quedaron ideales. Saludos
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:45

How cute!!! But the most important for me is that you always think the "impossible". All these ideas !!! Speechless as always!
    • Posted: October 29, 2018 15:28

Thank you so very much Christina, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 14:37

I absolutely love them! Your creative genius never ceases to amaze me! Cute as can be!
  • Posted: October 27, 2018 19:35

Claire

You are so creative. And those mushrooms are sooo soo cute !
    • Posted: October 28, 2018 04:21

Thank you Claire and congrats on your big win. So well deserved
  • Posted: October 27, 2018 15:23

Laura Ingalls Gunn

What a truly cute and clever project!
    • Posted: October 28, 2018 04:19

THanks so much Laura 😉
  • Posted: October 26, 2018 22:15

Jas - All that's Jas

First, I knew right away this was your project. You, my friend, have a recognizable style. Second, I'm so proud of you, you almost baked a bread! LOL Just omit the cotton the next time, ha! ;) Baby steps... Btw, these are super duper adorable!!! xx
    • Posted: October 27, 2018 04:40

🍻 Ha, you see, visiting your delicious blog does pay off 😉 I still have a long way to go through, most of the bread I make can be used as bricks for building houses
  • Posted: October 24, 2018 12:49

Sandra Cook

I would love to see all the cotton creations! Where would I find them?
    • Posted: October 24, 2018 13:06

Hi there Sandra, the links to all of the other cotton projects are towards the bottom of the post, just up above the comments. LEt me know if you can't see them so I can investigate
  • Posted: October 24, 2018 02:30

Where do you come up with these ideas? I can see using cotton as a base but then bake them. I actually rolled my eyes when you said time to get creative lol. You gobsmack me with your brilliant creativity. Fantastic as always, of course, I love them.
    • Posted: October 24, 2018 06:18

• Posted: October 24, 2018 00:30

Maria

Wow you had a successful oven experience. They turned out so charming and they look real even thought they are red.
    • Posted: October 24, 2018 03:55

Yup, this time round I showed that oven who's boss 😄
  • Posted: October 23, 2018 17:55

Seriously? Baking cotton?? That could only come from your clever creative mind!! IN LOVE with these wacky mushrooms Michelle, they are adorable and they'd look lovely as ornaments as well!!
    • Posted: October 24, 2018 04:05

🤗 Thanks so much Katrin, baking cotton is loads of fun and you can make so many interesting things too
  • Posted: October 23, 2018 03:36

Sam - Raggedy Bits

Well blow me down with a feather! I've never heard of baked cotton!! You never cease to amaze me Michelle with your creative cleverness!! I'm so sorry to hear that you and your oven aren't friends.... but you sure have aced it in the baked cotton department!! #nailedit 😍😍
    • Posted: October 23, 2018 07:14

Me and that oven just don't see eye to eye 🙄 but I'm happy with how these turned out and they're loads of fun to make too
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 20:14

Michelle you just amaze me with all your wacky creative ideas. Who would of ever thought of baking cotton? Only you! These mushrooms are amazing, and so cute! You have to have the happiest garden fairies around.
    • Posted: October 23, 2018 07:11

Wacky is good right 😀
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 19:48

Marie InteriorFrugalista

The Queen of Fairy Gardens does it again! Seriously, I never in a million years would think, hum lets see, I'm going to make mushrooms from cotton balls! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity, Michelle. I like the idea of making them into ornaments too - perfect for the gardeners in our lives :)
    • Posted: October 23, 2018 07:10

Thanks so much Marie but the fairies made me do it 😉
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 15:38

Evija

Bake cotton?? OMG you are so clever!!! Love these cute mushrooms, and love how original and 'think outside the box' your project really is..
    • Posted: October 22, 2018 16:05

Thanks so much Evija and I'm super glad you're part of the IBC too. Can't wait to see more of the things you'll be doing
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 13:19

Michelle not in a million years would I have believed you can bake cotton! I learn so much from your blog! The mushrooms are truly adorable and you would never know they had humble origins as cotton and flour clay! They also make a pretty addition to your fairy garden!
    • Posted: October 22, 2018 13:45

What!!? No one else bakes cotton. Isn't that what ovens are for 😀 Thanks so much Mary, I think I might just have to make a small little gnome to keep them company
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 10:45

You made me laugh so hard with your oven battle but after those gorgeous mushrooms, you deserve at least 10 points. They look lovely in that bright red against all that green from the garden. I would love to make some with my daughters for our pots because we don't have a proper garden.
    • Posted: October 22, 2018 11:26

YES!!!! If I can get 10 points for this one then I'll almost have that oven beat 😄 I think your girls will love making these Pili and if some of the mushrooms don't work the way you want them too, you can always throw them against the wall. They're like little mushroom bombs that explode and leave cotton wool behind 🙊
      • Posted: October 22, 2018 15:39

If I show your reply to them they will be praying for me to fail, that way they will have an excuse to have cotton flying all over the place.
        • Posted: October 22, 2018 16:03

I love the way your daughters think Pili 😀 Can I come help mess some mushrooms up for you?
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 10:24

Merle

You always manage to mess with my mind 🤔 How!!!? Everyone else has done a normal project with cotton and then you go and turn it all upside down and bake your cotton to make mushrooms 😂 that's so different and really cool 👌
    • Posted: October 22, 2018 10:35

😎 LOL Merle, thanks so much 💞
  • Posted: October 22, 2018 09:45

Julia @ Vintage with Laces

Baked cotton mushrooms? This is such an amazing idea only you can come up with, Michelle! They're so cute!!! I'm sure your oven was very happy with the result as well. ;)
    • Posted: October 22, 2018 10:37

🤗 Thanks Julia, but it's going take a lot more than baked cotton mushrooms to make me like that oven of ours 😉