How to Make Gorgeous Oreo Dipped Roses

Making multi colored roses are also super easy but it takes a little longer than the Oreo dipped version we shared on previous page.

What You Need to Make Multi Colored Roses

• Long stemmed white roses
  • Craft knife
  • Food colouring
  • Warm water
  • Suitable containers. We used tall shot glasses and a toilet roll, but more about that in a bit later.

Roses make a beautiful gift and and always look lovely in a home. Make them even prettier with this easy tutorial on how to dye candy floss roses. #DIYHomeDecor #DyingRoses #CandyFlossRose

How to Make Multi Colored Roses

Once again you need to remove all the leaves and cut the stems at an angel. Splice the rose stem vertically with a sharp craft knife. The cut needs to be long enough so the rose can “straddle” the two glasses.

These striking Oreo Dipped Roses make a beautiful gift and will look lovely in a home. See how to make your own with this easy tutorial. #DIYHomeDecor #DyingRoses #OreoRoses #OreoDippedRoses #TheGiftOfFlowers

Add a few drops of the food coloring and warm water in each of the glasses. The more food coloring you add the deeper the color will be and for the biggest impact try mixing contrasting colors. We used “green and yellow” and “blue and red” for our roses.

These gorgeous two toned rose makes a beautiful gift and will look lovely in a home. See how to make your own with this easy tutorial. #DIYHomeDecor #DyingRoses #TheGiftOfFlowers

To keep the long stemmed roses upright, I taped the glasses together and added a toilet roll on top. It looks ridiculous, but it was the best idea I could come up with 😉

Roses make a beautiful gift and are a great and always look lovely in a home. Make them even prettier with this easy tutorial on how to dye candy floss roses. #DIYHomeDecor #DyingRoses #CandyFlossRose

And that’s it. Depending on how long your stems are, it takes between 1 and 4 hours to see the roses change color. It’s amazing to watch.

How Do The Roses Change Color

Roses, like most other plants, have developed this ingenious system called transpiration which pumps water and nutrients up from the roots into the stem, leaves and petals, where the water evaporates through these little pores called stomata.

Just like sucking on a straw, transpiration creates a negative pressure, which pulls the water upwards. When you add food coloring to the water you can actually see the whole process in slow motion. Mother Nature is so fascinating. After a few hours you should end up with these gorgeous multicolored roses

I’m calling this one a Candy Floss rose. Love that blue and pink combo. And the green and yellow is so striking too.

This gorgeous two toned rose makes a beautiful gift and will look lovely in a home. See how to make your own with this easy tutorial. #DIYHomeDecor #DyingRoses #TheGiftOfFlowers

If you struggle to splice the rose stem or the stem is too thin, you can always place the rose in a single color and you’ll end up with something like this.

Gorgeous blue and green rose makes a beautiful gift and will look lovely in a home. See how to make your own with this easy tutorial. #DIYHomeDecor #DyingRoses #TheGiftOfFlowers

The longer you leave the roses in the food color mix the deeper the color becomes.

What Kinds Of Flowers Can You Dye With Food Coloring

Any cut flower that lasts a few days in water is a good candidate for dying with food color. Look for flowers with soft green stems like poppies, delphiniums, narcissus, daffodils, lilies, chrysanthemums, hydrangeas, carnations, daisies and tulips. Even bougainvillea’s work. Some woody stemmed flowers, like baby’s breath, work too but it takes a few days before you’ll see the color change and it will be very subtle. Adding the dyed flowers to a bouquet or table scape makes it truly special. Just a word of caution though. The dye will leak out as the flowers begin to wilt or if you remove them from water. So I won’t use them in a bridal bouquet or a corsage, unless the stems are sealed off.

So tell me which is your favorite. The candy floss rose……….

Or this vibrant green and yellow combo…….

Or maybe its the Oreo dipped roses from page 1. I would love to know.

And don’t forget to share and pin it for later.

Oh before I forget, if you don’t want to go to the trouble of finding some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and  craft ideas for you 😉

GlobalRose 50 White Roses - Beautiful Long Stem Flower
Speedball Super Black India Ink, 1 Pint
Kotobuki Slim Ohkubo Flower Arranging Shears

Until next time, hope you have a beautiful, craft filled week. Sending love as always.

Categories:   Craft Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: October 19, 2018 13:41

DecorCraftDesign

Romantic Halloween I should say, love it!
    • Posted: October 19, 2018 14:11

• Posted: October 16, 2018 21:28

These are so cool! Perfect roses for Halloween. When I read the title I really thought that they were dipped in oreos, LOL. I love the multi versions as well!
    • Posted: October 17, 2018 04:04

🙂 It's such a fun experiment and I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing them change color
  • Posted: October 16, 2018 15:23

Julia @ Vintage with Laces

They look fantastic, Michelle! I would have never thought of adding some color to fresh flowers. I love the idea! :)
    • Posted: October 18, 2018 15:53

Awwww Julia, I missed you so much 😍 Hope all your fur babies are doing good
  • Posted: October 15, 2018 20:59

These are perfect for Halloween. I avoid the ugly garish decor and these roses are elegant. Morticia would approve lol
    • Posted: October 16, 2018 04:29

🙂 Well if Morticia approves then it's all good 😀
  • Posted: October 12, 2018 21:49

Florence

These are lovely Michelle...they look so appropriate for Halloween, yet they look very elegant on their own. I was trying to figure out how they were related to "Oreos," but I kept reading to the end. I think I'm going to try it! Miss you my friend.
    • Posted: October 13, 2018 04:32

Awww Florence, I miss you too. Hope your downsizing plans are all going well. It can be such a stressful time but worth it in the end,
  • Posted: October 12, 2018 15:10

What an interesting idea. Love the end result and how you can choose different colors to achieve different results. ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: October 12, 2018 16:05

It's such a fun experiment to try and totally fascinating to watch the roses change color
  • Posted: October 11, 2018 17:49

They look so interesting like heirloom roses. I keep imagining dipping them in gold or pink ink.
    • Posted: October 12, 2018 03:59

Ahhhh just imagine that Elizabeth 😍 The gold would look stunning. I need to see if any of our craft shops stock gold ink
  • Posted: October 11, 2018 08:01

Annemarie LeBlanc

Those Oreo dipped roses would be a great Halloween dinner centerpiece. I will practice making them starting tomorrow, and I would love to try to make those beautifully colored roses too.
    • Posted: October 11, 2018 08:58

Cool Annemarie, let me know if something doesn't work. They're pretty easy to do
  • Posted: October 10, 2018 18:37

Alejandra Graf

Amazing!! I had no idea they were so easy to make and I think black and white is perfect for this time of year.
    • Posted: October 11, 2018 04:11

Quick and easy home decor are my favorite, especially when it makes a big impact 🙂
  • Posted: October 9, 2018 15:38

Kristine Nicole Alessandra

Wow, this is so beautiful and looks so easy to make. I will try to do this with my kids on this coming weekends.
    • Posted: October 9, 2018 15:44

I'm sure you'll all have loads of fun Kristine. Be prepared for colorful stained hands and lots of experimenting 😃
      • Posted: October 27, 2018 09:13

Cyn

What happens when the roses die, Can you still make them last, just to save? Would like to keep them they are so pretty.
        • Posted: October 28, 2018 04:19

Hi there Cyn, the roses can be preserved in two ways. You can either use glycerin instead of water for the colored roses and the oreo roses or you can hang them upside down and spray them with a clear, matt sealer. We used Rust-oleum's Ultra clear to preserve these and they still look gorgeous. The hubby keeps on saying I should take photos and add them to the post 😉
  • Posted: October 8, 2018 21:28

Nicole Anderson | Camping for Women

That is really a creative way to spruce up your roses. No doubt they would generate lots of comments from visitors. Love that you can also get more colourful as well.
    • Posted: October 9, 2018 05:32

Spot on Nicole. The Oreo roses do get a lot of attention at dinner parties. Everyone always wants to know where we bought them 😃
  • Posted: October 7, 2018 07:14

Sam - Raggedy Bits

These are just beautiful Michelle!! I have never heard of them before!! But they have just been added to the list of things to try and make!! They would look awesome in Halloween vignettes! Oh the possibilities...
    • Posted: October 7, 2018 07:21

Glad you like them Sam 😍 Have fun
  • Posted: October 6, 2018 02:03

Amy

Um, these are amazing. Plus, you had me at the word Oreo. :D I love the tip about adding sugar and vinegar to keep them fresh longer. Does this work for all flowers? Love, love, love!
    • Posted: October 6, 2018 06:15

Sugar and vinegar work like a bomb. We add them to all our cut flowers and it really does make them last longer
  • Posted: October 5, 2018 14:29

Dorothy

So glad to find this DIY. I love flowers and I love unusual arrangements, so this is perfect. Saving this one!
    • Posted: October 7, 2018 07:23

Thanks so much Dorothy 😍
  • Posted: October 5, 2018 13:20

Marie B.

Well this is a super cool idea! Love the colored versions too. Thanks for the sugar and vinegar tip too, I've never tried that one. Me and ink, now that's a disaster waiting to happen! Pinned :)
    • Posted: October 6, 2018 06:08

LOL Marie, I'm still trying to get that ink off my hands, but the food coloring is way worse my friend. My hands look like they belong to some alien from another universe 😃
  • Posted: October 4, 2018 14:44

Oh my gosh, they do look like Oreo cookies! I just love them! And the other colorful roses too. I can't wait to try this!
    • Posted: October 4, 2018 17:36

😃 Have fun Carolann
  • Posted: October 3, 2018 00:31

They are amazing. Have you tried the technique on other flowers?
    • Posted: October 3, 2018 04:29

We have yes. The Oreo dipping technique seems to work on any flower. Well those we've played with anyway 😃 while those that you dye with food color only works really well with flowers that have soft green stems. Some flowers pull the dyed water up really quickly, like the roses, while others, like arum lillies and the bougainvillea took a little longer
  • Posted: October 2, 2018 18:49

Another unique project Michelle! I don't ever buy roses, or any flowers actually, they just don't seem to last at all, but now you make me want to try out these!! I really love the oreo ones and agree with Mary, they'd also make a great Halloween decor.
    • Posted: October 3, 2018 04:34

Get some roses Katrin 😃 Even if they only last a few days it's so worth it. Ours are almost two weeks old and they still look really pretty. Only the outside petals have started drying out. The hubby actually sprayed one of each color with a clear lacquer spray to see what would happen. I'll update the post in a few weeks once we know the outcome.
  • Posted: October 1, 2018 20:00

Erika

Ek is mal hieroor Mix. Sal blou ink ook werk?
    • Posted: October 3, 2018 04:35

Hey Erika, dit sal ja, rooi ink sal ook baie mooi lyk.
  • Posted: October 1, 2018 17:05

Wow I think they would make a great Halloween decoration too, especially if they had some blood red on them. That's just me and my Halloween mood talking. I think they are very elegant Michelle. <3
    • Posted: October 1, 2018 17:30

Oh that's a great idea Mary. I think my daughter's got some blood red nail polish that she doesn't wear anymore and the roses are still fresh. I'm going to try make them halloween-ish! 😄
  • Posted: October 1, 2018 10:51

Handan

Oh my word Michelle! These are gorgeous! and awesome photos too! I love everything about this tutorial!
    • Posted: October 1, 2018 10:58

• Posted: October 1, 2018 09:22

I love, love, love them! I've tried some months ago to make something similar adding black food color but really nothing happened! I left them more than 3 days and I was so disappointed! Yours Michelle look beautiful!
    • Posted: October 1, 2018 09:27

Glad you like them Christina 💕 Black food coloring doesn't seem to work so well, we tried it too and the dyed roses come out a greyish color. The only way I know how to turn them black is using food spray, but that stuff is sooo expensive and it's difficult to get it right down into all of the petals.

shares