Recycle a Plastic Cup To Make a Fairy Bridge

In partnership with NutriStart

We are big into upcycling things to create something new so when NutriStart challenged us to come up with a #cupcycle project, we were all for it. This local company makes yummilicious breakfast cereal that’s wheat free and doesn’t contain any refined sugars. The perfect meal on the go. Especially for someone like my daughter who has to be at the pool really early in the morning. Like sparrow fart early 😉 The breakfast cereal comes in a convenient plastic cup with a re-sealable lid. So all you have to do is add milk or hot water and you’re ready to go. For our upcycle challenge, we decided to use one of the cups to make this little fairy bridge.

Recycle an empty plastic container and make and this adorable fairy bridge for your fairy garden #gardenideas #fairygarden #cupcycle #upcycle #repurpose #plasticrecycle #plasticcontainer

Isn’t it just adorable. You would never say that the bridge started out looking like this 😀

Recycle this empty plastic container and make and an adorable fairy bridge. Quick and easy DIY #gardenideas #fairygarden #cupcycle #upcycle #repurpose #plasticrecycle #plasticcontainer #cupcycle #earthday

And it’s one of those really easy projects that takes less than an hour to make.

Plus it’s such a fun project to do with the kids and they can learn all about building bridges too. The little ones can help with painting the bridge while older kids will love coming up with creative ideas to make the deck and the handrails. Here’s how we made this one.

How to Turn a Plastic Cup into a Fairy Bridge

For the fairy bridge, you only need the sides of the plastic cup. Use a pair of scissors to cut down either side of the cup and remove the bottom. Don’t throw if away, they can be turned into over sized emoticon badges. Just add a safety pin on the back and mod podge an emoticon onto the front 😉

Recycle this empty plastic cup or container and make and an adorable fairy bridge. Quick and easy DIY #gardenideas #fairygarden #cupcycle #upcycle #repurpose #plasticrecycle #plasticcontainer #cupcycle #earthday

The curved cup half looks like an arch and it’s really strong, which is the perfect starting point for the deck of the fairy bridge. To cover the deck we used a few ice cream sticks, but twigs will work too.

Cut the ice cream sticks so they’re a little wider than the piece of plastic. The easiest way to do it is to simply use a pair of scissors or a sharp knife to score alone the sticks and break them off. Don’t worry if they’re not the same size, it adds to the look. Before gluing the sticks to the bridge, use 100 grit sandpaper to roughen up the plastic a little so the glue has something to grip onto.

The plastic bits are really “bouncy”, which makes it so much easier when you’re gluing the sticks on. Just press it down firmly to create a flat piece and then add the sticks. That way they won’t slide off the curved surface while the glue dries. We used quick setting glue so it only takes a few seconds.

As soon as the glue dries, and you stop pressing down, it will pop right back up again 😀

Before adding the handrails you can paint the deck or leave Au Naturale if you prefer 😉

Adding the Handrails

There are quite a few ways to add handrails to the bridge. We don’t want our fairies falling off 😀 You can glue twigs to the sides of the bridge or you can take it up a notch and use beads instead. To form a stable base for a bead handrail I first glued on equally spaced flat bottomed abalone nuggets. While the glue is still wet insert a piece of wire. You’ll have to bend the wire a little so the actual handrail stands up straight.

Thread a few small beads onto the wire support beams and tie them all together with a bit of twine. To make sure the beads don’t fall off add a little bit of glue before threading the beads onto the piece of wire.

Snip off any excess pieces of wire and the bridge is ready for your fairy garden. Fill a container with potting soil and add your favorite plants and flowers.

Our little fairy bridge spans a small ceramic bowl that’s been filled with silver pebbles and water.

We placed the fairy bridge and the bowl inside a wooden crate and added Peace in the Home (Soleirolia soleirolii) and thyme.

Fairies love thyme. It’s one of the plants they like to dance around!Click To Tweet

Most herbs work well in fairy gardens since they have tiny delicate leaves and flowers that attract butterflies. And if there are butterflies you’re sure to find a fairy too 😉

Don’t forget to add a few fairy mushrooms under the thyme for a pop of color.

Or maybe hang a lantern shaped bead on one of the handrails to light the way.

The possibilities are endless. Just let your imagination run wild.

Recycle an empty plastic cup or container and make and this adorable fairy bridge for your fairy garden. Quick and Easy DIY #gardenideas #fairygarden #cupcycle #upcycle #repurpose #plasticrecycle #plasticcontainer #cupcycle #earthday

More Fairy Garden Plastic Cup Recycling Ideas

There are so many ways to recycle those plastic cups for a fairy garden:

• Make a wishing well by simply gluing twigs or small stones around the outside of the cup and adding wire or longer twigs to form the arch of the well and you’re good to go.
  • Turn the plastic cup upside down, add a little roof similar to the one we made for our fairy toadstool and paint on some windows and doors to make an adorable fairy hut. Just remember to lightly sand the cups before painting so it doesn’t peel off.
  • Paint the inside of the plastic container grey, fill with resin and add small fish beads for a quick and easy fairy pond.

I hope this project inspired you to reduce, reuse and recycle those plastic cups. It’s a great way to teach our kids to take something that would normally get thrown away and find a fun way to reuse it and protect the planet too. Small efforts can make a huge difference!

Join the #cupcycle revolution and save the planet one plastic cup at a timeClick To Tweet

Recycle an empty plastic cup or container and make and this adorable fairy bridge for your fairy garden #gardenideas #fairygarden #cupcycle #upcycle #repurpose #plasticrecycle #plasticcontainer #cupcycle

And if you’re looking for a few more fairy things, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a very small commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more amazing ideas to share with you 😉

Tonsiki 40 Inch Length Miniature Fairy Garden Ornament Fence
Sale Amagabeli Decorative Garden Fence Outdoor Coated Metal Rustproof 32'x24'x 5 panel Landscape Wrought Iron Wire Border Folding Patio Fences Flower Bed Fencing Barrier Section Panels Decor Picket Edging Black
NCYP Forest Fairy Garden Miniature Stump Sweet House Resin Planter for Succulents Cactus DIY Modern Gardening Treehouse Sculpture Multilayer Decorative Flower Pot No Plants

Until next time, hope you have an awesome week, filled with lots of love and fairy kisses.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Fairy Garden Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts, Trash to Treasure

Comments

• Posted: September 13, 2018 11:50

Wow! That is really clever Michelle. It looks super cute in the fairy garden.
    • Posted: September 13, 2018 12:07

😍 I'm saving everyone of those plastic cups now. They really come in so handy and not just for fairy gardens 😉
  • Posted: September 11, 2018 09:47

Linda Galvin

Hi ! I guess you cant use a hot glue gun as the plastic would melt? or is that just a stupid question?? thanks
    • Posted: September 11, 2018 10:11

Hey there Linda so happy you popped in for a visit. I'm sure a hot glue gun will work as long as the tips doesn't touch the plastic and no question is ever stupid
  • Posted: September 10, 2018 03:00

This is really beautiful, I love your fairy projects. Pinning to make with my granddaughters. Thank you or the craft project idea.
    • Posted: September 10, 2018 05:35

You and your grandbabies are going to have so much fun together Leanna. I just love how imaginative the little ones are when it comes to making things for a fairy garden and I bet they come up with some really lovely ideas on how they want to decorate their little bridge.
  • Posted: September 2, 2018 20:58

Love the little fairy bridge. Great way to upcycle a plastic cup. Love the hand rails, and the little lantern is adorable! You have the luckiest little fairy's!
    • Posted: September 3, 2018 06:31

😀 I think we're the lucky ones because they always come to visit 😉
  • Posted: September 1, 2018 15:46

Mel

It's super cute!!! I would look amazing on a tiny fish pond and I really love the lantern....
    • Posted: September 3, 2018 06:32

Thanks so much Mel 😊
  • Posted: August 31, 2018 14:11

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com

Michelle, I have next to no craft skills, but I'd like to give it a try. Glad I found your blog today and know where to come for inspiration. Thank you for hosting #SweetInspiration.
    • Posted: September 10, 2018 05:42

It's a pleasure Jean, I so love meeting new friends at the link party and your recipes are so yummilicious and sound easy enough that someone like me, who has very little cooking skills, can make
  • Posted: August 31, 2018 02:12

Sandy Brandon

This has got to be the cutest thing I have ever seen done! My granddaughter is 2 and I can see in the next several years doing a fairy garden for her at my house....oh such fun that will be!! I would never have thought a simple plastic container/cup would be turned into something so adorable. Great job!!
    • Posted: August 31, 2018 10:06

Oh you are going to have so much fun with your granddaughter Sandy. Enjoy every second with her. They grow up way to quickly
  • Posted: August 30, 2018 19:42

You are just so creative, WOW!! This is amazing. What a lovely idea indeed and it look fab.
    • Posted: September 23, 2018 08:53

• Posted: August 30, 2018 18:28

renee

All the little tiny things always fascinate me!! I don't know if I would ever have the patience to create them (guess that is why God gave me three rough and tumble boys! ;) but they always amaze me!!
    • Posted: August 31, 2018 10:09

😀 Rough and tumble boys are super cool Renee. They have such inquisitive minds, maybe one day they'll grab your hand and lead you down the garden path to build a fairy garden filled with dinosaurs and those other boy things 😉
  • Posted: August 30, 2018 16:33

Tanya

Wow, very creative! I would have never thought to make a fairy bridge our of recycled cups!
    • Posted: September 23, 2018 08:52

I'm glad you like it Tanya, thank you
  • Posted: August 30, 2018 15:01

Fibi Drese

Wow, this is really cool idea. I can make this for my little garden now.
    • Posted: September 13, 2018 15:06

Thanks so much Fibi, let me know if you have any questions
  • Posted: August 29, 2018 20:19

I just love this fairy bridge! I love upcycling too and these projects always inspire me! Lovely work...as always!
    • Posted: August 30, 2018 05:00

Upcycling is the best 😉
  • Posted: August 29, 2018 16:31

Shaily

Wow! This is such a beautiful way to recycle a plastic cup. This is a very helpful tip as I'm planning to make a fairy garden. Moreover, it's so easy to make.
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 17:41

Soooo glad you enjoyed it Shaily and have fun making that fairy garden of yours. Careful, they can become addictive 😉
  • Posted: August 29, 2018 12:40

This has to be the most creative way I've ever seen a plastic cup recycled. In fact when I saw the photo I was wondering where the cup was! You have done it again my friend, created a wonderland for the fairies!
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 14:43

😍 😍 😍 You know me and our fairies. I love making things for them so much
  • Posted: August 29, 2018 05:33

Sam

What an excellent challenge! This is such a creative idea. I really love the railing & lamppost! Any fairy would love these additions!
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 13:53

Thanks so much Sam 😉 I just love challenges like these and I'm so proud that a local South African company is championing the cause for recycling.
  • Posted: August 29, 2018 00:56

Nikki

Wow this is such a cool craft. I think is very important to find ways to up cycle things because we tend to waste way more than we should. So if there’s a way to find a way to repurpose something why not?
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 05:30

You're so right Nikki, we've become so wasteful and creative ways to reuse plastic it will go a long way to saving our beautiful planet.
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 22:57

Amy-Lynn Denham

Love it! We have a fairy and gnome garden that this would be perfect for!!
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 05:29

Cool Amy-Lynn. Let me know how yours turns out
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 21:18

Nati

Oh Michelle, this is soooo freaking cute! Looking at your first pictures (yes, you know I look at pics first, then read, lol) I couldn't tell this was a miniature! I totally thought this was a full size bridge and judging by the title I thought "There is no way she does that beautiful brisge with a plastic cup! But yes, you do indeed!! Are you a fairy for real??
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 05:25

😍 You're so sweet Nati, thank you and I'm a picture kinda girl too.
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 21:16

Monidipa Dutta

This is a cute and fun project to do with kids. The lantern looks so good with it. At first, I couldn't believe that the bridge was made from plastic cup but then you explained the process.
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 05:32

Thanks so much Monidipa. Kids love making something for a fairy garden and they never cease to amaze me with their creativity
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 20:12

Tiffanie Anne

Whoa! At first I had some doubts about this, but you totally took it to the next level and it all looks so great! That is so neat and crafty of you!
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 13:53

Thanks so much Tiffanie 😉
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 18:08

Lisa

This is so sweet, and a great way to recycle plastic! I love the creativity behind it, and I'm sure the fairies will appreciate it too :)
    • Posted: August 29, 2018 05:26

Thank you Lisa, I hope the fairies like it too 🙂
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 15:38

Ellie Plummer

This is so cute, I bet this would be so much fun to do with your children. It's so creative and you'd never know that it was just from a plastic cup.
    • Posted: September 13, 2018 15:21

It's the best project ever to do with the kids, they love getting involved in the planning and making 😉
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 15:36

How very charming - the whole set up looks so quaint and like a nook in a garden. I really loved the finishing touches to the whole thing. ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: September 23, 2018 08:51

Thanks so much Tanvi 🙂
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 13:26

Autumn

I love the fact that you recycle to create these cute little items for your garden. They are so darn cute!
    • Posted: August 30, 2018 05:06

• Posted: August 28, 2018 12:51

Joanna

This is such a cute idea of a project! I can definitely need more decorations in my garden but the ones from the shops are so expensive. I could definitely make a bridge like this myself!
    • Posted: August 28, 2018 13:06

I'm sure you'll be able to do it Joanna and with all the travelling you've been doing I bet you'll add something special to your little fairy bridge too 🙂
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 09:52

Jordan Campbell

Great idea! Those fairy terrariums and gardens are all the rage right now, too.
    • Posted: August 28, 2018 13:07

Thanks Jordan. I seems everyone likes to live in a miniature world with the fairies
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 06:40

Maya Kuzman

When I read the title of the post I was hooked :) What an incredible project this is and I applaud you on it - you are a fantastic bridge builder! That adorable lantern is the cherry on the project (cake)!
    • Posted: August 28, 2018 07:08

I love that little lantern too Maya 😊
  • Posted: August 28, 2018 02:38

Jas - All that's Jas

You should rent a space and make a fairy world exhibition. More people should see your wonderful art and they should pay to see it. As for me, I'd pay for a plane ticket to come and cook for you if you let me play with it. Beyond super duper cute, Michelle! <3
    • Posted: August 28, 2018 06:15

Ahhhh my friend, I'll pay for you to fly out here just to taste all the yumminess you make. But you'll have to come for at least a month, I want to try every single one of your cheesecakes 🤗
  • Posted: August 27, 2018 10:53

We always re-cycle almost everything in school and the kindergarten kids really love it as well. They come up with fun ideas. But I will have to show them your adorable fairy bridge from a plastic cup Michelle. This might be our next project! So far, we've always only re-used plastic cups for paint, but this is way prettier and more fun!
    • Posted: August 27, 2018 11:03

Oh Katrin, the kids will have so much fun making on of these and I bet they come up with the most incredible ideas to recycle containers. They are always so creative at the age