Write Like an Egyptian and Make Your Own Cartouche

Have you ever been to Egypt? It’s such a magical country. The sites, the sounds and the incredible history that dates back thousands of years just boggles the mind. The pyramids were wow. The sphinx, meh, not so much. It was so much smaller than I thought. The Sphinx Alley in Luxor however was a different story. There are more than 800 sphinxes standing on either side of the path and archaeologists believe that there are more buried under the sand. And I remember visiting Edfu on the western banks of the Nile and being awestruck by the splendor and ancient power of the place. Every square inch is covered with hieroglyphs or a cartouche that tells a story of kings and gods and the bitter battles they fought to win this beautiful land.

Evoke the magic and splendor of ancient Egypt and create your own Egyptian cartouche. Easy tutorial #DIYHomeDecor #Egyptiancrafts #Egyptionhieroglyphics

It’s an amazing place and I so desperately wanted to capture a piece of that magic and make it part of our home décor. I figured the easiest way to do that was to cast some hieroglyphs in concrete so it resembles an Egyptian cartouche. Here’s how I made this one.

Egypt is not a country you live in. It’s a country that lives in youClick To Tweet

What you need to make an Egyptian cartouche

How to make an Egyptian cartouche

Draw the hieroglyphics on the craft foam using the Egyptian Hieroglyphs as a template. The hieroglyphs need to be quite big since some of them are quite finicky. Especially the lion and the Eye of Horus 😉 Carefully cut the hieroglyphs from the craft foam using a craft knife or sharp pair of scissors. Don’t worry to much if the edges are uneven it adds to the final look. If you have a cutting machine it will make it much easier, but it’s not necessary.

Glue the hieroglyphs down on piece of cardboard. You can gets the kids involved and they can spell their name or just put them down randomly like I did. Random is good right?!!  Unless of course I just wrote a really bad cuss word 😀

Confession time. I lost the plot a little at this point. Strictly speaking a cartouche should be inside an oval frame but I completely forgot and just created little lines between the hieroglyphs. Oh well it’s that random thing again 😉 Mix up a batch of the two ingredient mold and place it over your cartouche. Be sure to squish the mold down into all the little nooks and crannies.

Once the mold has set, probably about ½ hour, carefully pull it off. The two ingredient mold is very pliable so it will peel off without a problem.

Casting the cartouche in stone, ermm I mean concrete

Apply a thin layer of vaseline petroleum jelly using a nail brush. Since the hieroglyphs in the cartouche mold are quite detailed I wanted to make very sure that I’d be able to release it once the concrete had set.

Mix up a batch of concrete or plaster of paris and pour it onto the mold. You’ll need quite a thick layer of concrete. The first one I made was too thin and broke when I removed it from the mold. Use some tin foil to create a “form” around the cartouche so the concrete doesn’t spread everywhere.

Once the concrete has set remove it from the mold and stain or paint it to suit your decor. I wanted ours to look like it had been carved from sandstone and the hubby suggested I try Rustoleam’s Multi-Color Textured Spray. I think the color is called Desert Bisque. Quite appropriate for this little cartouche me thinks 😀

The lid of an old ammo case makes the perfect frame for the cartouche. I just loved the way the two complimented each other. What do you think?

And I’m really impressed with the texture the Rustoleum paint gave the finished piece. See what I mean about the uneven edges not having to be perfect. It makes the cartouche look like it’s withstood countless sand storms.

Let me know what you think and if you like the idea don’t forget to share.

Would you like to make something similar? We’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and craft ideas for you 😉

Design Toscano Egyptian Temple Steles Tutankhamen, Isis and Horus Wall Sculpture Plaques, 10 Inch, Set of Three, Polyresin, Black and Gold
Sale Barn Wood Rustic Decorative Shutter Set of 2
Design Toscano Ancient Ankh Egyptian Decor Wall Sculpture Plaque, 16 Inch, Polyresin, Black and Gold

Sale The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day: The Complete Papyrus of Ani Featuring Integrated Text and Full-Color Images
Sale Rust-Oleum 223524 Multi-Color Textured Spray Paint, 12 oz, Desert Bisque

Until next time, hope you have a wonderful craft filled week. Much love as always

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: September 13, 2018 11:35

Wow Michelle!! This is soooooo cool! Love the detail on it.
    • Posted: September 13, 2018 11:37

I was quite surprised with this one too Keri 🤗
  • Posted: August 22, 2018 17:33

I live in a country that has great Ancient History but I love so much ancient Egypt. If someone asked me to go to the past this is the place I am going to choose. But you my friend, you are the perfect example that all of us carry something from the past. Are you sure that in your previous life you lived there??? I want to make one of this the soonest possible! Thank you so much for the idea!
    • Posted: August 23, 2018 05:08

You know we went to Greece and Egypt on the same trip and they are both so incredibly beautiful and historically rich. I could spend hours wondering round all the temples and imagining the lives ordinary people lived way back when. Just imagine being a builder or an architect in those days. Oh the possibilities ....
  • Posted: August 22, 2018 11:46

That is amazing Michelle! It does look ancient, and I love all the details. Goes perfectly with your ammo lid. One of these days I want to get into playing with cement, and try making my own molds. Would like to go to Egypt too. But guess I'll have to stick with playing with cement. Lol
    • Posted: August 22, 2018 11:55

Oh Linda, Egypt is such an incredible place, I do hope you get to go one day. And yes my friend, you need to start playing with cement. I was a little scared too at first. I thought I'd get the mixture all wrong but it's really not difficult. Kinda like mixing plaster of Paris. It just works 😍
  • Posted: August 6, 2018 15:17

Kari Rogers-Miller

This is too cool Michelle. Years ago, I bought a cartouche while in Egypt and it is oval with my name (or at least they said it was my name, but one never knows for sure does one?) LOL!!! It is on a gold chain. I need to take it out and look at it again...sometimes I forget I even have things. I love the way your vignette looks. Great job!
    • Posted: August 7, 2018 06:32

Thanks so much Kari, I'm sure your cartouche does have your name on it or something very close 🙂 Either way it's a lovely memento from such an amazing place
  • Posted: August 6, 2018 06:23

Tiffany Yong

I’ve never thought of using Egyptian language as a design. The whole feel is so realistic and nice. I am gonna show this to my BFF and see if he wants to make one like that!
    • Posted: August 6, 2018 06:36

Glad you like it Tiffany and hopefully your BFF will enjoy making one too
  • Posted: August 5, 2018 02:44

Amy

Michelle, this is so cool! I love all of the detail you put into everything you do. And I've been wondering about that Rustoleum textured paint. So it's great to actually see it put to use! Egypt would definitely be on my bucket list. Someday...
    • Posted: August 6, 2018 06:35

That textured paint is awesome Amy, you just have to shake the can really, really well to get an even coat of texture 😉
  • Posted: August 4, 2018 09:56

Nati

I love this Egyptian decor! It's such a great idea but the making process seems to require a level of mastery I totally lack. You're so talented and creative!
    • Posted: August 6, 2018 06:35

Thanks so much Nati
  • Posted: August 3, 2018 13:00

Marie Blackburn

This is such a cool project, Michelle and looks amazing!
    • Posted: August 3, 2018 13:37

Thanks so much Marie 😉
  • Posted: August 3, 2018 12:05

Jas - All that's Jas

Super innovative, but I'm not surprised. You're a master of your trade :) I also fancy the look of it on your mold, where the cuss words (bwahahaha) are indented. ;)
    • Posted: August 3, 2018 13:39

😂 Your the best Jas, but I sure hope that's not a cuss word. Eeeek I'll get banned from all kinds of places
  • Posted: August 3, 2018 11:28

Mel

Beautiful ancient piece of art! Thanks for hosting again this week and wish you a lovely day!
    • Posted: August 3, 2018 13:41

So happy you like it Mel and it's always a pleasure hosting the party. I get to meet awesome bloggers like you 😍
  • Posted: August 2, 2018 03:29

Daria

This is just awesome! You are very talented and very crafty.
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 06:57

• Posted: August 1, 2018 20:11

Becca Talbot

What a great tutorial - I love this! I went to Egypt years ago with an ex boyfriend, and when we split up he took all our souvenirs with him. So maybe I should try making this as a stand-in souvenir :) x
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 15:32

Thank you Becca and I'm sorry that the ex left with all those souvenirs. That was a bit unfair
  • Posted: August 1, 2018 12:35

Waren Jean

This is a unique DIY project. We had an Egyptian writing project back in high school and I had so much fun. This must be fun to do at home too.
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 07:01

Thanks so much Jean. I wish they'd done something like that when I was in school.
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 20:24

From the photos, this looks very old, what an amazing idea. I will never travel to Egypt I am afraid . Egypt, Israel and Greece all seem so fascinating to me. Love what you created.
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 15:31

I know a lot of people are scared of going to Egypt but all the tourist destinations are really well protected and safe and it's so worth seeing
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 18:14

Your creativity always astounds me, you are really talented. I love this project it really looks great!
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 07:01

• Posted: July 31, 2018 16:56

Amazing! I have never been, but it sure sounds like an exciting place to go. Again you've created something so unique and just beautiful!!
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 07:00

Thank you my friend. Egypt is just amazing
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 11:33

Preet

You are so creative. I wish I I could pull something like this off. Such a talent. Love this so much.
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 06:58

Thank you Preet, this is a super easy project to try. Why not give it a go
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 09:40

Lyosha Varezhkina

Sounds like a super fun DIY. Great to do with a kid, esp during active learning how to write, explaining various languages in a fun way!
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 06:59

Kids will love playing around with something like this Lyosha. It's like learning to write in a secret language 🙂
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 03:38

Samantha

I've never been to Egypt, but it sounds amazing! This is a really cool idea. The cartouche looks rustic and weathered.
    • Posted: July 31, 2018 05:03

Thanks Sam and I hope one day you and Nikki get a chance to go. It would be fascinating to see a write up about gluten free food in Egypt 🙂
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 02:47

Stephanie Jeannot

For one, what a great experience visiting such a place and seeing a wonder of the world in person. How cool. I love this craft idea. I mean, such a nice one to do.
    • Posted: August 2, 2018 15:31

It was wonderful. I would go back anytime
  • Posted: July 31, 2018 00:36

Kesha

There is so much history in Egyptian culture. You have captured it beautifully in this cartouche. Never thought of making Egyptian artifacts. This is very creative and very beautiful.
    • Posted: July 31, 2018 05:04

Thanks so much Kesha, it really is an amazing place
  • Posted: July 30, 2018 21:36

Firstly, love that quote on Egypt. I have always wanted to visit the country. But with your skills you are able to learn and absorbs the cultures through art. Loved the end result here, as always! :) ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: July 31, 2018 04:55

Oh you have to make a plan to go Tanvi. It's an incredible place, I would go back anytime
  • Posted: July 30, 2018 18:48

Tizzy Says

I love your Egyptian crafts. I am also surprised to hear that the Sphinx was so underwhelming.
    • Posted: July 31, 2018 04:54

Maybe it was just me, but the Sphinx was a bit disappointing. It's small and when we were there they were doing repair work to the base. The pyramids of Giza are amazing though and the Sphinx is right there so maybe they over powered it a little
  • Posted: July 30, 2018 17:10

Really beautiful Michelle and it looks like it's been around for centuries. Love the old age look the spray paint has given it.
    • Posted: July 31, 2018 04:57

🙂 That spray paint is really cool, I can't wait to play around with some of the other colors in the range