Turn Mismatched Forks into Unique Air Planters

I have this thing about forks, and apparently so does someone else. Most people complain that their teaspoons go missing. Not in our house. Nope, it’s always those darn forks. I’m convinced they put on these little forky sneakers and run off to that mysterious sock island. Which means I have a whole bunch of mismatched forks locked away in a cupboard, pining for their long lost buddies 😉 Time to do something about it. And no I’m not letting them go. I plan to tie them down for good and turn them into air planters for our Tillandsia Usneoides (aka Spanish Moss).

Do you have a whole bunch of ,mismatched forks? Try this quick and easy decor idea that can make a huge impact and add a unique touch to your gallery wall. Turn those forks into air planters #DIYHomeDecor #GalleryWall #Repurpose

This is one of those quick and easy crafts that can make a huge impact and add a unique touch to your gallery wall.

Fork (noun) An instrument used mainly to put dead animals into your mouthClick To Tweet

How to Turn Mismatched Forks Into Air Planters

Grab those sad little mismatched forks and a few pieces of scrap pallet wood. Just make sure that the pallets are safe to use with plants. It’s best to only use those marked with HT (heat treated) for all DIY projects.

Do you have a whole bunch of ,mismatched forks? Try this quick and easy decor idea that can make a huge impact and add a unique touch to your gallery wall. #DIYHomeDecor #GalleryWall #Repurpose

Place the fork onto the wood and eyeball where it needs to be cut. Sand away any rough spots.

Seal the wood with a few coats of polyurethane if they’re going outside to protect the wood from rotting. Our mismatched fork air planters are hanging inside for now, but I’ve been known to change my mind often 😉 So better safe than sorry.

Place the fork onto the piece of wood and use a toothpick or something with a sharp point to mark where to drill some holes.

Use fishing line and sew the fork on to the piece of wood.

Drape your Tillandsia Usneoides over the tines and your air planters are done.

I love the way they turned out. They make such a cute statement on our gallery wall in the kitchen. And they’re light enough to stick on using double sided tape.

A Little Bit About Tillandsia Usneoides

Tillandsia Usneoides (Spanish Moss) is actually part of the pineapple family and it loves indirect, bright light. In it’s natural habitat you’ll find Spanish Moss draped over branches in warm, humid areas and it gets all it’s nutrients from the air. If you plan to grow them indoors, make sure to place it near a window. Just check that the air planters are not exposed to direct sunlight in summer. Give them a light mist of water on a daily basis and spoil them every now and again by mixing up a batch compost tea and spraying that on instead. I really love how easy most Tillandsia’s are to grow.

What do you do with your mismatched forks? I’d love to know because I have a few more that need to be repurposed 😀

If you’d like to make something similar, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and craft ideas for you 😉

Sample Pack - Epic Artifactory Reclaimed Barn Wood & Whitewash Barn Wood Planks
Sale Costa Farms Air Plants, Live Indoor Assorted Tillandsia Varieties, Small-Med-Large, 30-Pack, Fresh From Our Farm
Oneida Louisiana Seafood Fork

And if you’re looking to create those gorgeous brick walls, perhaps these links might inspire you.

Sale Grey and White Brick Peel And Stick Wallpaper
Brewster Wallcovering Co FD23288 Painted Brick Grey Brick Wallpaper,
Sale HaokHome 69091 Vinyl Retro Vintage Faux Brick Wallpaper Lt.Brown for Home Kitchen Realistic Wall Decoration Wall Paper 20.8' x 393.7'

Until next time, hope you have a beautiful, love filled week. May the forks be with you 😉

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts, Trash to Treasure

Comments

• Posted: August 22, 2018 16:59

I love air plants but I had never thought to demonstrate them this way! What a clever idea Michelle and how gorgeous are all these mismatched dinnerware!
    • Posted: August 23, 2018 05:10

Aren't air plants just wonderful and the forks seemed like a really good idea. Much better than having them lie in some cupboard waiting for their long lost buddies to come home 😀
  • Posted: August 6, 2018 12:13

Jelica

Gosh, this is super cool, Michelle. What a beautiful way to deal with those mismatched forks! And as a known plant killer, I love the idea of using Spanish moss or any air plant for this project :)
    • Posted: August 6, 2018 15:17

Yeah, air plants are really rewarding and don't need a lot of attention either. Plus they're such unusual plants, they create a statement all on their own
  • Posted: July 29, 2018 00:17

These are super cute. I made some similar for drying flowers but I bent my utensils. I should look at hanging them like you did. Mine are hung up outside on a fence. Love these
    • Posted: July 29, 2018 07:38

Oh that's sounds like a great plan. I never thought of using them to dry flowers. What a neat idea
  • Posted: July 27, 2018 17:21

laura

Hi Michelle, I don't what I love more the forks or the brick wall behind them! love the look! love it! laura
    • Posted: July 29, 2018 07:40

Isn't that brick wall just gorgeous. It's actually washable wall paper and I love it. So easy to put up and so easy to clean too
  • Posted: July 27, 2018 17:18

Ayana Nell

This is such a unique idea!! I think they turned out wonderfully, Michelle. Great job!
    • Posted: July 29, 2018 07:40

Thanks so much Ayana
  • Posted: July 27, 2018 15:45

Barbara Chapman ~ French Ethereal

Hi Michelle! Such a cute idea!!! In our house, it was the spoons... Turns out our son was taking them to school in his lunch bag, leaving them on the outdoor kindergarten lunch tables to pick up when lunchtime was over, but the janitors would grab them and throw them away... When I figured out that we were really missing spoons and asked about it, we were down to three! From about 20! That's when I showed Peter the joys of plasticware. Lol! {Did recover one spoon in perfect condition years later... in with his camping Scout kit!}. Really love how your air planter turned out and that wall with all its textures!!! Perfect! Pinned out to my DIY board. <3 Have a great weekend!!! Barb :)
    • Posted: July 29, 2018 07:43

LOL Brabara, I imagine the janitors must find tons of forks and spoons and things lying around after lunchtime. Thank goodness for plastic ones. Hope you have a lovely weekend too 😍
  • Posted: July 27, 2018 13:32

Maya Kuzman

It is a fantastic project Michelle and that wall is outstanding and unique!
    • Posted: July 27, 2018 15:09

Aww Maya Thank you so much 😉
  • Posted: July 27, 2018 10:23

Nati

What a lovely and original project Michelle! I love your creativity! BTW I just realised I don't have mismatched forks at home!
    • Posted: July 27, 2018 15:12

You've got to tell me how you get the right Nati. Every time I think I've got a full set, one of them goes missing 😀
  • Posted: July 27, 2018 01:17

Sarah Holladay

I love this unique look! That blue pattern makes it perfect too... I may have to do this on our outdoor patio!
    • Posted: July 27, 2018 15:13

Ooooo I think the air planters would look lovely on a patio wall. As long as they don't get to much sun they'll be super happy there
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 21:04

Katie

This is such a cute decorating idea! I love unusual ways to display plants and flowers.
    • Posted: July 26, 2018 16:58

Thanks so much Katie 😉
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 14:32

This looks so cool. I actually adore this idea it is so creative! You did a great job.
    • Posted: July 26, 2018 16:59

Glad you like it Elizabeth, thank you
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 14:13

Michelle, what a fun and creative way to repurpose those forks. They're little stinkers for running off like that. ;) Great idea to tie them down and plant moss around them. I love how your gallery wall looks. Those blue plates are gorgeous!
    • Posted: July 26, 2018 17:00

Little stinkers is right Keri 😂 P.S. Those blue plates are actually paper plates but they are gorgeous and looks so good on the wall
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 04:19

Sam

What a unique idea! I would’ve never thought to turn forks into an air planter. Also, your tweet made me laugh! Somehow, I don’t think that’s the definition in the dictionary. 😂
    • Posted: July 25, 2018 05:19

LOL Sam would you believe me, that quote actually does come from a dictionary 😉 Well sort of. It's called the Devil's Dictionary and it was started as a weekly newspaper by Ambrose Bierce way back in 1881. I put the hyperlink to the dictionary on the quote but it seems it only does the tweet. So here it is in case you want to see more weird and wacky definitions http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/bierce/bierce.html
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 00:38

Kesha

This is an incredible idea! I love what you have created. Surprisingly, we don't loose a lot of spoons or folks but I would love to loose some in art like this. ;-)
    • Posted: July 25, 2018 08:43

😀 Bring them to our house, they'll get lost real quick 😉
  • Posted: July 24, 2018 16:24

Elizabeth

That is such a clever DIY trick! I love those air plants too - I want some for my kitchen!
    • Posted: July 25, 2018 08:44

Glad you like it Elizabeth, thank you
  • Posted: July 24, 2018 11:25

Antique fables

I have got quite a number of mismatched forks I had love to experiment this with. I believe I can figure it out
    • Posted: July 24, 2018 14:56

You'll do it without a problem, it's really easy but let me know if you get stuck or if the tutorial isn't clear
  • Posted: July 24, 2018 11:15

Always good to learn about something new ... I had no idea about the Spanish moss and now I do. You post also made me realize I have really basic and boring dinnerware. haha :) ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: July 24, 2018 14:55

😀 LOL Tanvi, I can't resist unusual dinnerware
  • Posted: July 23, 2018 15:18

These are such unusual plants Michelle. And the way you have placed them on the forks really shows them off. Now the forks won't feel neglected. Your wall gallery is also a thing to behold and admire.
    • Posted: July 23, 2018 15:51

Aren't they just beautiful and they're one of those plants that just keep on giving even when you forget about them for a bit. I'm glad we could bring some inside and add them to the gallery wall. They fit right in 🙂
  • Posted: July 23, 2018 11:04

First off, your forks are so pretty! Mine look all the same and I don't even notice if one left us ;) And it would only be you who'd make a beautiful wall display out of miss matched forks! SO clever and SO unique, I love it!
    • Posted: July 23, 2018 15:49

I really like unusual dinnerware but they always seem to go missing. Right now everything is mismatched but the worst is definitely those forks 🙁 and I have no idea why. Glad you love the idea Katrin though, thank you