Extreme Repurpose – The Making of a Mermaid Chair

Have you ever wanted to create something that’s a little “out there”, but you had absolutely no clue how you were going to do it? It seems to happen to me all the time 😀 For as long as I can remember, I’ve had this slightly wacky idea of a repurposing something boring and making a mermaid chair for my daughter.

A novel twist on a boring office chair. Transform it into this beautiful mermaid chair. You won’t believe how it was done. Full tutorial at acraftymix.com #DIYHomeDecor #Upcycling #ExtremeMakeover #FurnitureMakeover #mermaid

She’s an amazing young lady and has been working her butt off to qualify for the South African Swimming team. I swear she was a mermaid in a previous life. So I really wanted to celebrate her unique spirit and passion for the water by making her THAT chair.

A few weeks ago while wandering round the local thrift store I found this rather sad and boring office chair. I’m not sure if it had been standing in the rain for way too long or if someone threw the wildest, wettest party ever. But this poor thing had definitely seen better days. The hubby thought I was completely bonkers when I brought it home.

Even a boring office chair can be transformed into something that’s unique and oh so different. Come join us as we turn old and blah into Mermaid wow. Full tutorial #DIYHomeDecor #Upcycling #ExtremeMakeover #FurnitureMakeover

EeeeeDeeee didn’t seem to mind though 😉 and it was the perfect starting point for that mermaid chair.

What You Need to Make a Mermaid Chair:

• old second-hand wood chair with a straight back
  • mattress foam
  • quilt batting or a thin foam
  • dust cover fabric
  • spray Adhesive
  • fabric (velvet or velour)
  • plywood
  • 1x2s

Tools:

• fabric stapler
  • fabric scissors
  • bread knife
  • jigsaw
  • drill
  • Screwdriver
  • Needle nose pliers

Dismantling the Boring Chair

First thing I needed to do was get rid of that old yucky fabric.

There were soooooo many staples. UGH!! They’re not too difficult to remove though. Just a little tedious. All you need to do is pry them upwards with a small flat screwdriver and then pull them out with some pliers.

Yucky

I did think twice before sharing this photo. Look at all that gunky stuff that was hiding in that chair. Eeeeeewww. From now on, I’m going to be very careful where I park this butt of mine.

Some more yuckiness

Even the foam was yucky. Everything that couldn’t be cleaned had to go until I was left with just the bare bones.

I wanted the seat to be a little higher. Apparently land bound mermaids have sensitive feet so it’s best to have a chair where their feet can swing free when they’re sitting. After adding a dust cover and drawing a template of the seat portion, I cut a new piece of foam with my handy bread knife. I learnt that trick when I built a window seat last year for my daughter. 😉

And our sweet little EeeeeDeeee got to test it out too 😀

The foam was covered with quilt batting. I found it easier to start in the middle and staple it onto the underside of the chair every few inches, tightening the batting as I went along. The next thing to go were those oh, so boring wooden legs. I just cut them off with my trusty jigsaw.

Where’d my legs go?

Alrighty then. Time to add a little of that mermaid X factor. Head on over to page 2 to see how we gave this baby some new legs and added a mermaid surprise onto the back of the chair .

Categories:   Home Decor Crafts, Trash to Treasure

Comments

• Posted: July 17, 2018 09:10

Tiffany Yong

Wow, you are really talented to change and makeover a chair! Look out for mites and bed bugs ya, as I had a bad scare last time. Every time I see cushion and stuff, I get that reminder automatically!
    • Posted: July 17, 2018 10:14

Eeeeewww, I would run a mile if I saw bed bugs and mites. Just thinking about it makes me cringe 🙂
  • Posted: July 16, 2018 19:57

I ABSOLUTELY love the end result. It is also one of my favorite colors. So luxe and chic. You are a magician. ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: July 17, 2018 10:14

Awww Tanvi, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you 😍
  • Posted: July 16, 2018 13:43

Michelle, I'm blown away by the chair transformation! Just wow!!! The mermaid chair is gorgeous and I bet your daughter loves it.
    • Posted: July 16, 2018 14:11

🙂 Thank you Keri and yes my daughter really likes her new chair. So happy
  • Posted: July 14, 2018 09:08

Nati

The makeover is simply amazing Michelle! I'm in awe of your creativity and your skills to actually turn your imagination into something real. I would love a chair like this for myself!
    • Posted: July 15, 2018 13:25

I can sooooo picture you in a mermaid chair Nati 😀
  • Posted: July 13, 2018 18:20

Marie

Holy crap, are you kidding me, Michelle! Wowsers you got THAT from THAT! Girl, I've said it before, you blow me away with your creativity! LOVE this chair and adore the way you styled the photos. Pinned, sharing, telling everyone I know :)
    • Posted: July 15, 2018 13:39

That means so much to me Marie. You're the queen of makeover furniture 😍
  • Posted: July 13, 2018 16:42

Maya Kuzman

My goodness! This has to be the most amazing chair makeover I have laid my eyes upon! It is majestic! I love it from tops to bottom - everything you did on it!
    • Posted: July 15, 2018 13:44

😊 Awwww Maya, thank you so much. I'm really happy you like it
  • Posted: July 12, 2018 17:02

Oh wow this is such a beautiful chair indeed. You did such a great job.
    • Posted: July 13, 2018 11:00

Thanks so much Elizabeth
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 15:27

Sarah Gray

This is the actual cutest! What a great tutorial. I am going ti pin this one for later.
    • Posted: July 12, 2018 11:15

Thanks so much Sarah, glad you like it and thank you for the pin too
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 04:05

Sam

Michelle, you are the master at all things DIY! This is so awesome! To take a boring old chair and turn it into something so beautiful is amazing. Those legs are the perfect match! I really like the silver sequins added to the back. I showed Nikki the chair as she loves mermaids & she said she wants it. lol I bet your daughter loved it. Good luck to her on making the swim team!
    • Posted: July 11, 2018 10:10

😊 Aaww Sam thank you so much. Now if only we stayed closer I would love to make one just for Nikki.
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 03:19

FLORENCE

Michelle, I bet your daughter loves her mermaid chair!! I sure would. I love the triangular back, and those legs! They're gorgeous...perfect for an ethereal mermaid! What the chair was before & what it is now...incredible.
    • Posted: July 11, 2018 10:10

Thank you Florence 😊 she's super impressed with how it turned out and I'm really happy too
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 00:56

Kim

Outstanding, Michelle!! I love it. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. I bet your daughter loves it...I would! Can you see me blogging from my mermaid chair? ;)
    • Posted: July 11, 2018 10:11

LOL, actually I can see you Kim, out in that beautiful garden of yours 😍
  • Posted: July 11, 2018 00:26

Kesha

That chair is absolutely beautiful. You make it look so easy. It is a great ideas for a decorative chair in a bedroom or living room. I can even see these in a dining room setting.
    • Posted: July 11, 2018 10:58

Wouldn't it look just awesome having a whole bunch of them around a dining room table and all things considered it was way easier than I thought, especially since I've never tried upholstering something before 🙂
  • Posted: July 10, 2018 20:56

repnpepper

What a lovely present for your daugther. You are a real upcycling queen! I always like your creations but this is one is probably one of my favourites!;)
    • Posted: July 11, 2018 10:58

🙂 Thank you so much
  • Posted: July 10, 2018 19:18

Ayana Nell

That is so unique! And that puppy is so darling <3 I definitely need to head to the next page to see what you did next!!! What a fun project!!
    • Posted: July 11, 2018 15:49

She's the cutest thing ever. Always such a busy body and loves being part of our DIY makes.
  • Posted: July 10, 2018 11:49

remo

Super! What a beautiful chair you-all made. I love the colour and those silver lined legs. I want it!
    • Posted: July 10, 2018 16:07

😀 So happy you like it Remo
  • Posted: July 10, 2018 11:41

Olayiwola

That was a nice mermaid chair. So funny of you to say maybe she was a mermaid before her present life
    • Posted: July 10, 2018 15:58

I'm convinced she is Olayiwola. When it comes to water and my daughter they're inseparable
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 19:22

I just love this chair makeover and your adorable poochie too! That chair omg...the color!
    • Posted: July 10, 2018 16:05

Poochie still wins hands down in my opinion. She's the cutest addition to our fur baby family since........... well the last fur baby we got 😀
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 19:07

Congratulations to Talea on her qualification into the Olympics swim team. You must be such a proud mama. I now see why you went above and beyond to make this very special chair for her. She is very deserving of it. And of course it is the perfect gift for her. Michelle you literally took it apart and reconstructed it. Amazing!!!
    • Posted: July 10, 2018 16:01

😀 She hasn't qualified yet, but she is giving it her everything. I can't believe how even when it's freezing outside, she's ready and waiting to go train in the pool, and it's outside and sometimes the heating doesn't even work. UGH!!!! How does she do that. She is one very special lady 😍
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 16:00

Oh my Gooooooooooood!!!! This is a miracle!!! You built a whole new chair!!!! And look at those legs!!! My English are not quite enough to express my enthousiasm!!!! Michelle you are something else my lady :)
    • Posted: July 9, 2018 16:12

LOL Christna, you've just made my day. Thank you
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 15:08

Nikki Gwin

Oh..... MICHELLE!!! I never knew it, but i NEED a mermaid chair!! Oh, and I'll have to keep my husband away though because he and his superpower magnets would wreak havoc... LOL :) gwingal
    • Posted: July 9, 2018 16:13

😀 😀 😀 And I know my son has one of those super power magnets somewhere too. I'm waiting for the day when he decides to try them out on the chair
  • Posted: July 9, 2018 14:01

Wow, Wow, Wow! This is the perfect mermaid chair, it's gorgeous! Only you come up with this Michelle! And the back is so cool. My daughter has a few tops with these sequins, they're so fun. I bet your girl is loving it!!
    • Posted: July 9, 2018 14:59

😍 My baby girl loves it, sooooo happy how it turned out and I even a bit of that lovely material left to make her a small pillow.