Making a Game of Thrones Candelabra

Winter is coming, bleh, but so is season 8 of Game of Thrones 😀 Well maybe not just yet. Apparently, we have to wait at least until April 2019 to see who will take the Iron Throne. Phooey, But there’s nothing stopping us from adding a little G.O.T décor to our homes in the meantime, amIright?! Which is exactly what the hubby decided to do this weekend when he made us this candelabra.

Bring a little bit of the Seven Kingdoms into your home decor with this DIY Game of Thrones candelabra. #DIYHomeDecor #GameofThrones

I can just picture the Night Watch using it to navigate their way through the pathway of gated tunnels under the Wall. Or perhaps Khaleesi will use to show Jon Snow the way? And this Game of Thrones candelabra was really easy to make too.

What You Need To Make A G.O.T Candelabra

An assortment of galvanised pipes and fittings. We get all ours online from Aluminium Flanges. They’re the best and they don’t sponsor us to say that either, we’re just really big fans of theirs. To make this candelabra in the piccy above the hubby used:

• 1 x Flange – 25 mm (1″) for a good stable base
  • 1 x Reducing Bush Galvanised Fitting – 32 x 20 mm
  • 2 x Galvanised Stand Pipes – 20mm x 150mm (3/4″ x 5 7/8″).
  • 1 x Reducing Tee Galv Fitting – 20 x 15 mm
  • 2 x Galvinised Barrel Nipple Fittings (one 15mm (1/2″) and  another 20mm (3/4″) )
  • 2 x Galvanised 90 Degree Elbows – 20mm (3/4″)
  • 1 x Galvanised 90 Degree Elbows – 15mm (1/2″)

The pipe pieces were assembled first before spraying them black. Sometimes it’s not so easy getting the threads on the various pieces to line up nicely so you have to twist and bash them around a bit and chances are the paint will chip off. Something we learnt the hard way when we made the industrial chic wine rack.

Something To Hold The Candles

Once all the pipes, nipples and elbows have been joined together, (LOL I love saying that) and the paint was dry, we had to try figure out a way to add that cup thingy that holds the candle. I’m sure there’s a technical term for it, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what it is. Do you know what it’s called? I even tried to look it up on wikipedia, but they weren’t much use; “……candlesticks have a cup or a spike…..to keep the candle in place.”  All righty then, so it’s a cup thingy and that spikey bit, well that’s called a pricket, according to wiki. Go figure 😀 Anyhows, we decided to use the bottom of a beer can. It has a nice concave shape and it holds a decent sized candle too.

And for the “pricket” a pop rivet or a nail works really well. Just make a hole and glue it inside.

Spray the candle “cups” and add a good dollop of steel epoxy to the bottom before gluing them onto the Game of Thrones candelabra to finish everything off.

Love how the candle wax drips and flows over those candle “cups”.

And by using a larger flange for the base the candelabra is really stable.too.

I’d love to know what you think of the Game of Thrones candelabra and who your favorite character is. Daenerys? Arya? Tyrion? The beautiful dragons? Or Jon Snow? I’m a little scared to pick a favorite, since everyone seems to die, but maybe it’s Tyrion for me. He’s so wise and straight to the point.

Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no-one can use them against you. Tyrion LannisterClick To Tweet

And if you’re looking for a few more awesome Game of Throne decor bits I’ve added a some of my favorites below. Disclosure: If you click on the links, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry, it won’t come out of your pocket, and maybe, just maybe we can use it as a down payment on our very own dragon 😉

Dragon Claw Goblet, Umiwe 3D Dragon Claw Goblet Glass Cup Drinkware for Whiskey, Beer Wine and Juice (Black)
Game of Thrones Armor Book Set
Game of Thrones Dragon Eggs Collectible Set

And as always, wishing you a beautiful week filled with magical moments.

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: June 19, 2018 11:54

I didn't even know that that is what they were called 🙈It looks just like it belonged to those times (show!?) I love GoT and cannot wait for the next season. ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: June 20, 2018 08:18

You and me both Tanvii. They must hurry up already it feels like we still have so long to wait before it's out there
  • Posted: June 19, 2018 06:17

I read the first few books of Game of Thrones, so miffed when they bumped Ned off. I am just starting to watch it on TV. Your right that the candelabra is perfect for the Nightswatch.
    • Posted: June 19, 2018 09:54

Yeah, I was pretty bummed too when Ned Stark lost his head. He was my favorite. Such a gentleman. Glad you like the candelabra too 🙂
  • Posted: June 18, 2018 14:45

I love Game of Thrones and this candelabra is everything! I would love to make one for my outdoor space. We are just now in the throes of summer here and this would be perfect for outdoors. Love it!
    • Posted: June 18, 2018 15:45

Yay, another G.O.T fan. I was getting worried. So many people said they'd never seen it before and here's me thinking everyone was a fan. Thanks so much Carolann, I'm glad you like the candelabra
  • Posted: June 18, 2018 01:37

Debbie-Dabble

What a great idea! Love it!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! That tornado came too close for comfort! Hugs, Debbie
    • Posted: June 18, 2018 06:27

Thanks so much Debbie and I'm so glad that tornado missed you guys. Looking at the photos it was really, really close.
  • Posted: June 16, 2018 12:53

Barbara Chapman ~ French Ethereal

HI Michelle and Hubby! :) This is brilliant!!! I really like the whole Steampunk/ mechanical repurposing of pieces. Isn't it amazing what you can do with plumbing parts??! Now I know it's not the same thing, but my son was always taking PVC parts we had around the garage and shed and making stands to hold cymbals and later to become "third hands" when filming claymation when he was home from college. Fun project!!! Saved to my DIY Projects board for our readers, thanks! :)
    • Posted: June 18, 2018 06:21

We love the whole Steampunk thing. Hubby made some lights for a friend of his in the Cape, where he used other pipes and cages and things and they look sooo amazing. I would love to have seen how your son used those pipes as "third hands" and the claymation videos too. That sounds so interesting
  • Posted: June 15, 2018 21:10

I'm I the only one who hasn't watched this show? Although I do know of it. Anyway, the candelabra is so cool that I will need to watch the show.
    • Posted: June 16, 2018 05:35

Looks like there are quite a few people who haven't seen it. I must admit I was a little surprised, in my humble opinion it's one of the best series out there if you like fantasy 🙂
  • Posted: June 13, 2018 18:08

Ayana Nell

What a great way to use up spare parts found in the garage! This is a really neat and unique craft and definitely perfect for GOT fans!!
    • Posted: June 15, 2018 14:00

• Posted: June 13, 2018 18:01

You are unstoppable! This is good for us because we pick up ideas ... thank you Michelle once more for all your gorgeous projects!
    • Posted: June 14, 2018 07:40

😊 Awwww, Christina thank you so much
  • Posted: June 13, 2018 04:34

Sam

Confession: I have never seen or read “Game of Thrones”. 🙈 I thought I’d read the books first and I never got around to it. This candelabra is really cool! I’m sure GoT fans would love it. I also don’t know what the cup thingy is called either.
    • Posted: June 13, 2018 05:36

It's one of those series where the books and the series are both sooooo good. The series's story line kinda follows the story of the Song of Ice and Fire novels, but there are differences too and no-one knows what will happen in the final season since George R.R. Martin hasn't released the last book yet. Oh man the anticipation is killing me. Hope you get to read or see them one day Sam. I think they're awesome 😉
  • Posted: June 13, 2018 03:20

I think it is criminal that they are making us wait so long for the final season. But even worse is the book that we have been waiting decades for. At least we have your wonderful candelabra to keep us from having a fit! I think it would make a fine addition to the cast on the wall, poor men that they are, and it will hopefully protect them and guide them away from the nightwalkers. I especially like the Jon Snow fur you so casually added on the bottom. No comment on the favorite, I am so confused after all that reading.
    • Posted: June 13, 2018 05:24

I agree Mary, it feels like forever before season 8 comes out. I wonder if The Winds of Winter will be released before the season starts. I'd be really keen to see how they match up, or not? And shame, yes those poor guys from the Night Watch could really use something to help them with the Nightwalkers. I suppose we'll just have to wait patiently 🙈
  • Posted: June 12, 2018 21:57

Daisy

This is such a totally cool project!!! I absolutely love the look of this!
    • Posted: June 13, 2018 05:24

Thanks so much Daisy, I'm glad you like it
  • Posted: June 12, 2018 16:57

Your creativity is astounding, I am always so impressed. This is gorgeous, you did so well bringing it to life from bits you can find from around the house.
    • Posted: June 13, 2018 05:31

😊 Thank you Elizabeth, that means a lot to me
  • Posted: June 12, 2018 16:29

Misty Eilar

This is like my obsession but I love Harry Potter too haha. Husband won't let me put much around the house. I do have a framed map though. You guys did a great job on the candle holder.
    • Posted: June 13, 2018 05:30

Ahhh I love Harry Potter too Misty. I'm a little obsessed with fantasy series in general though 😉
  • Posted: June 12, 2018 08:44

Ithfifi

I must be the 1% of the universe who's never watched Game Of Thrones but that doesn't take away the beauty of your candelabra! This is absolutely amazing, the dripping wax is just so cool!
    • Posted: June 12, 2018 09:18

Nooooooo, you've never watched Game of Thrones - where's my shocked face emoti when I need it 😉 OMW Ithi, it's such an awesome series but I'm real glad you like the candelabra though.
  • Posted: June 12, 2018 08:21

Julia - Vintage with Laces

I've never watched Game of Thrones but I love your chandelier anyway, Michelle. The industrial look just talks to me. :) The pipes and fittings would have never thought they'd become something so cool and beautiful. I'd be happy to part with some degrees of temperature and wish I could send them over to make your winter season more pleasant.
    • Posted: June 12, 2018 09:21

Oh wow Julia, it's such an amazing series filled with dragons and dwarves and intrigue and stuff. I love it. Thanks for the love on the candelabra and please yes blow some of that warm weather this way. 😉
  • Posted: June 11, 2018 18:16

Ah, can't wait for the next season to start! Thanks for making the wait more fun with this amazing candelabra! It really looks like it came straight out of Winterfell. Hard to think of a favourite... probably Jon Snow ;)
    • Posted: June 12, 2018 09:22

You and me both Katrin. I read the books many years ago and loved them and it's not often that a series lives up to (well kinda) the books, but it's so awesome. Jon Snow rocks!!