7 Quick Tips for Making Your Own Wire Art

Have you ever dabbled with wire art? I remember way back when in art class making little birds and sculptures from bits of wire that the telephone company had donated to the school. So when the ladies from the Int’l Bloggers Club (IBC) decided that this month’s challenge would be “wire”, I thought I’d see if I still had the knack.

7 Quick Tips for creating wire art with photos. Have you ever dabbled with wire art? It dates back to 3000 BC and it's such an amazing medium to work with. Easy to shape and you can twist, wrap, braid, coil, weave and even crochet with it. #DIYHomeDecor #arttutorial #wireart

Did you know that wire art dates back to 3000 BC. Egyptians made the most amazing sculptures and woven jewelry and in the early 20th century many artists took the concept to a whole new level. Wire is such a lovely and forgiving medium to work with. We have a whole stockpile of the stuff that we use to sculpt the tree of life.

Depending on the gauge or thickness of the wire, it’s really easy to shape too. You can twist, wrap, braid, coil, weave and even crochet with it. But before I get to the 7 quick tips for making your own wire art, let me tell you a little more about the IBC. Every month a small group of international bloggers from all around the world get together to share a themed project. Some have been easy and fun while others really made my head spin. This one goes into the fun and easy bucket 🙂

Okay so let’s get to those 7 quick tips for making your own wire art.

7 Quick Tips for Making Wire Art

Tip #1 – Find an Interesting Picture

Before starting you’ll need some reference images. Pick interesting pictures that have a recognizable form – silhouettes and line drawings are a good place to start. You can even turn your favorite word into wire art or try making a little spider web. A rough sketch or doodle works too.

7 Quick Tips for creating wire art, with photos. Have you ever dabbled with wire art? It dates back to 3000 BC and it's such an amazing medium to work with. Easy to shape and you can twist, wrap, braid, coil, weave and even crochet with it. #DIYHomeDecor #arttutorial #wireart

I feel like a little Mozart – Rough Sketch

Something like a brick or a ball is not going to work though. Your wire art will end up looking like, …….. well a round circle or a big old, boring rectangle 😀

Tip #2 – Get into the Mood

I need to get into the right mood before I start with the actually using wire to create something. Put on some music, get a cup of your favorite brew and get comfy. Well as comfy as you can because you need to put some of those super sexy, protective eye glasses on. Warning – reality shot coming up.

LOL, thank goodness I brushed my hair before putting that hat on. Not the prettiest look, but trust me that wire will jump all over the place 😀

Tip #3 – Wire Buying Wisdom

The best and cheapest wire can be found in a hardware store. They normally have a huge selection of galvanized, copper, brass, and aluminium wires to choose from. Baling wire is really cheap but it may leave an oily residue on your hands. Craft stores normally sell jewelry wire in lots of pretty colors, but it’s more expensive. Another alternative is to use florist wire, which you can find in most chain stores.

Tip #4 – Gauging Your Wire

Wires are measured in a thing called “gauge”. The higher the gauge the thinner and easier the wire is to bend. For wire art it’s easiest to use something between a 14 and 24 gauge. The 14 gauge is the most difficult to bend with your hands though and you may need some pliers.

Tip #5 – Sticky Tape is Your Best Friend

Seriously, that wire really does jump all over the place, ALL THE TIME!! When you start, stick your wire down. As you follow the form and lay the wire down over your picture, stick it down. When you’ve bent that wire in just the right way, stick it down. If you’ve made the curtest little curly, whirly bit, stick it down. Okay you get the point 😀 Sticky tape won’t just make it easier to create and keep a form, it will stop that pesky wire from jumping around and poking you in the face. Nuf said.

Tip #6 – Handy Wire Art Tools

Most of the time I just use my hands to sculpt and form the wire, but pliers come in handy too. Especially if you want to make a sharp bend. They’re also great for joining and twisting two pieces together. Oh and you’ll also need wire cutters. Mom’s sewing scissors just won’t cut it.

Tip #7 – Let Your Hands Do the Talking

If you’re in the right mood, your hands will almost take on a life of their own. You’ll twist and braid and loop and turn the wire and before you even realize it you’ve created a form. Just have fun, don’t forget those safety glasses and don’t poke your eye out.

Bonus Tip – Displaying Your Wire Art

There are so many different ways you can show off you work. Suspend the wire art inside a frame like I did, hang it from a mobile or inside a bicycle wheel or use a block of wood or a stone as a base. Anything goes! For this Mozart inspired wire art I choose to make a thick frame from pallets.

And just in case no-one recognizes Mozart, I mod podged a music sheet on to the back 😉

The wire art portrait was suspended by drilling a small hole on either side of the frame and gluing that wiry Mozart inside.

Let me know what you think and whether you’ve made any wire art. I’d love to hear about it. Don’t forget to share.

Pinny Please

If you want to try something that’s a little easier then Matilda and her Spider Web would be perfect. And for you convenience I’ve added some affiliate links below.  Disclosure: If you click on them, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and craft tutorials for you 😉

BarnwoodUSA | 100% Reclaimed Wood Bundle for DIY Projects | Pack of 6 (8 inch Planks)
Sheet Music on White Heavy Embossed Gift Wrapping Paper -Two 24 In x 6 Ft Sheets
4x6 Farmhouse Barnwood Picture Frame w/Real Glass (White)
Sale Mandala Crafts 12 14 16 18 20 22 Gauge Anodized Jewelry Making Beading Floral Colored Aluminum Craft Wire (20 Gauge, Black)

Anyways I do hope you have an amazing week filled with lots of love, creativity and good music. And please don’t forget to see what my international friends have done with this month’s wire challenge.

Categories:   Art by Mix, DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Int'l Bloggers Club, Party Time

Tags:  , , ,

Comments

• Posted: June 13, 2018 17:46

I have never seen something similar! It is a very modern approach for a portrait... Very creative idea my friend :)
    • Posted: June 14, 2018 07:42

I wish I could say it was my idea, but it's an art form that been practiced for ages. It sure is a lot of fun to do though 😉
  • Posted: June 11, 2018 10:09

Jelica

I absolutely loved this tutorial, Michelle! Art was one of my favourite subjects in school, but we never used wire. I've got a lot of craft wire at home and will refer to your post when I get started - great tips, by the way :)
    • Posted: June 11, 2018 16:35

I'm real glad you found it useful Jelica and I probably should have known that you took art too. You're always so creative and your sense of proportion and color is always so beautiful
  • Posted: June 6, 2018 19:06

Maya

You make it look like a piece of cake Michelle, but I am sure it requires some serious skills like yours. It is divine and I would love to try something like this....
    • Posted: June 7, 2018 06:52

You'll do it Maya, it's really not difficult at all, you just need to follow the lines and stick it down 😉
  • Posted: June 5, 2018 00:00

FLORENCE

Michelle, you taught me some things about working with wire that I didn't know. In fact, I don't know much about working with wire period. The few projects I've done, were a struggle, so I must have used too heavy a gauge. I can't believe you can crochet with it though! The Mozart is incredible! It actually looks like him! How long did it take you to do that?
    • Posted: June 5, 2018 06:44

Mmmmmmmmm, I didn't actually time myself but I think the Mozart piccy took about 20 minutes to do Florence. In fact it took longer to put the frame together than actually bending the wire to create the portrait.
  • Posted: June 1, 2018 20:05

Samuel frodo

Woow! This is awesome, and so detailed, I almost feel like I can try it, although I am the least artistic person ever.. This would be really fun to do with the kids.
    • Posted: June 2, 2018 04:29

The kids will love it Samuel as long as you're there to help them. Just make sure to watch those sharp wire edges and safety glasses is a must
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 22:31

Claire

You are very talented ! This is awesome, I’ve always fancied making my own wire art but haven’t got around to it yet. However, reading your post has inspired me to start.
    • Posted: May 31, 2018 05:40

😊Thank you sooooo much Claire, that means a lot coming from you. I bet you'll come up with the most amazingly beautiful designs
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 21:20

Cheryl @ Artzzle

Hi there. I found you at the Boondocks blog. I'm always looking for new craft ideas to try and/or share. This is so unique. I shared it. Thanks for a great post.
    • Posted: May 31, 2018 05:37

Thank you so much for popping by for a visit and pin Cheryl. I'm really glad you liked the Mozart wire art, hope you have loads of fun playing with the idea 🙂
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 18:38

A really cool project Michelle, and Wolfgang is my favorite. You look so determined with your glasses on all ready to work. I certainly can see why you would need them too. And your hair is on point too!! Extra points for using music paper for the background! ;)
    • Posted: May 31, 2018 06:08

Rock on Wolfie, isn't his music just so beautiful. Glad you like my oh so trendy look too Mary 😂
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 17:49

You are extremely creative. It must be amazing to see your artwork come alive like this in wire art. Super cool
    • Posted: May 31, 2018 05:34

Thanks so much Elizabeth 😉
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 13:33

Dana

Oh wow, this is awesome. What a fun and a great idea. I will definitely try doing this.
    • Posted: May 30, 2018 14:13

Glad you liked it Dana, have fun
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 06:03

Sam

This is really great, Michelle! Way better than the circle or boring rectangle that I could do. 😂 I like your sexy goggles...protecting your eyes is sexy!
    • Posted: May 30, 2018 07:47

Ahhh Sam, I'm sure you'll be able to create more than a rectangle or a circle. Maybe you and Nikki can try a hamburger 🙂
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 20:29

LOL Michelle you are so funny! Looking good in your sexy glasses. I use wire in my jewelry making, and have thought of trying to make words but haven't tried that yet. Never have thought of making any wall art. Very creative, and so cool!
    • Posted: May 30, 2018 07:45

😊 mmmmmmmm those glasses. You should see me when I'm painting miniatures and I wear my magnifying glasses, now that sexy 😂
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 18:05

Marie

I almost spit my coffee onto the monitor when I saw the goggle pic - too funny! Oh my, if I attempted wire art they'd be hauling me out on a gurney. I recognized Mozart in your sketch right away and absolutely adore how you got him wired and placed he and his music in a frame. Brilliant! Pinned :)
    • Posted: May 30, 2018 07:40

😂 Love those sexy glasses of mine. Thanks so much for the pin Marie, much appreciate it
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 13:13

Indu

This is amazing to see wire art. I like the wire portrait of Mozart immensely . Another beautiful example of your creativity and with tips given by you even I can try this.
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 15:39

😊 Thanks so much Indu, I'm glad you like it and hope the tips do make it easier for you to try
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 12:13

kumamonjeng

Yes, I have seen some wire art before but this one is kind of unique and interesting too. Thanks for the great tips.
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 15:31

So happy you like it, thank you
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 10:17

Nati

Amazing! not only is your wire portrait of Mozart simply genius, but I appreciate that you gave us so many useful tips on how to get started with this technique. Thank you Michelle!
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 11:40

It's a huge pleasure Nati, I'm so glad you found them useful 😊
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 09:00

Explorethe6

Good word! This is so freaking cool! I just got into string art, but wire art has a more distinct finishing look. One day I'll work up to this!
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 09:12

Thanks so much Tiffany, if you enjoy doing string art then you'll love playing with wire 🙂
  • Posted: May 28, 2018 22:15

Love the picture of you getting ready to create. You did an excellent job on Mozart. I have never really tried working with wire but now you have my creative juices thinking about it.
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 09:09

You'll have loads of fun Debra and I'm sure you'll make something amazing too
  • Posted: May 28, 2018 17:16

Your doodles look great as they are but wired up really really cool! I can only imagine trying to bend that kind of wire must be so tricky. Your selfie is the cutest!! :)
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 09:09

Ugh, me and cameras. I don't mind being behind them but in front - ummmmmm nope 😂
  • Posted: May 28, 2018 08:45

I saw Mozart at first sight, you did a great job and that's a creative use for wire. Thanks for the tape trick, I've tried little things with wire and it got my nerves trying to manage it, so simple but effective. Also, the music sheets are a great addition, creative as always Michelle. You made me laugh with your selfie and brushing your hair, you are too funny.
    • Posted: May 28, 2018 10:35

I would never be able to create wire art without sticky tape. It's a life saver in more ways than one 🙂 and I'm so happy I could make you smile with that wild, bug eyed selfie.