A Lamp Shade Recycle and How to Thatch a Fairy Roof

There’s just something about making a little fairy home that will always appeal to me. I think it’s probably because you can use all kinds of things while you’re creating them. Just let your imagination run wild. Old tissues boxes can be turned into a desert abode or even a church. Clocks are perfect for making secret gardens, complete with beaded topiaries and a porch swing. Even a lunchbox can be transformed into something amazing. And an old, tatty lamp shade……… Well if you thatch it, add a plastic flower pot and a door knob it makes for a great fairy roof . Amiright? 😀

How to thatch a fairy roof and make the cutest fairy house ever using an old lamp shade #recycle #fairygarden #lampshade

We made this little one over the weekend for a friend of ours who’s keen to start her first fairy garden. She wanted a cottage style home for her fairies that would last outside. Since the weather here in South Africa doesn’t typically go from one extreme to the other, and I know how hardy a thatch roof is (we stay in one), the roofing choice was easy.

What You Need To Thatch a Fairy Roof

• 1 bundle of Coconut Fiber (Coir)
  • Old Lamp Shade
  • A Pair of Scissors
  • E6000 Glue
  • Duct Tape

Bundle of coconut fiber

Preparing the Lamp Shade for Thatching

The lamp shade I had was kinda bell shaped, but I really wanted the top portion to be narrower. I don’t know, to me it just looked more fairy-ish. So I used wire cutters to snip around the top and squished it together, before taping it up with aluminium tape.

Once I was happy with the overall shape, the rest of the lamp shade was covered in tape. The tape helps make the roof stronger and gives the thatch something to hold onto.

How To Thatch a Fairy Roof – The Easy Way

Grab a few strands of the coconut fiber and spread them evenly onto a piece of tape.

Fold the tape over to secure the coconut fibers. Do the same on the other side. Cut the taped coconut fibers in half so you have two strips of fibers, or thatching material as shown below.

I like to cut a whole bunch at once so I have a stockpile of thatching material to work with. It’s a very messy business so it’s probably best to do it outside. Just like thatching a real, life sized roof, you need to start at the bottom and work your way up in overlapping layers. So start by gluing a strip of the taped coconut fibers all around the bottom of the lamp shade. Don’t worry if it looks sparse, it fills up as you add more layers.

Cover the entire lamp shade with the strips making sure that the underlying tape is covered by the next layer. When you reach the very top of the lampshade use duct tape to attach the final layer to the shade. Give the roof a trim to remove any stray bits and tidy it up. It honestly felt like I was giving the thatch roof a hair cut 😀

Finishing The Roof Off

Find a plastic pot or anything that fits snugly over the top of the lamp shade. Paint it if you like and add other bits and bobs to give it some character. I used a cabinet door knob and a failed concrete mold and then glued on a small watch trinket I found lying around.

Want to see how I made the rest of the fairy house? Click page 2 below for all the other instructions 😉

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Fairy Garden Crafts

Comments

• Posted: July 11, 2018 18:26

Handan Navage

Michelle, I love how your mind works! Seriously! You're just awesome!
    • Posted: July 12, 2018 11:14

😍 Thanks my friend, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: June 16, 2018 13:18

Joan Husby

old straw broom wire baskets and coconut fibre might work too. thanks for inspiring me.
    • Posted: June 18, 2018 06:22

Wow Joan, that's a great idea. I need to play around a bit and see if we've got a wire basket lying around somewhere. Thank you
  • Posted: June 6, 2018 19:11

Maya

Wonderful Michelle! Thank you for sharing the tute with us! When I saw the first picture and prior to reading (and seeing the following photos) I thought you used a make up brush and had an aha moment thinking how I might get hold onto my daughter's brushes! hahahaa... Nevertheless, that is one fab thatched roof!
    • Posted: June 7, 2018 06:50

A makeup brush is a brilliant idea, now you've got me thinking, thanks so much Maya 😉
  • Posted: May 30, 2018 22:21

Ana Vukosavljevic

Oh, Michelle, I'm more and more surprised every time I come to your blog! I think this is one of my favorite! This thatch roof is everything, I would love to have this little house at my yard or home in an area with all the board games, I think it looks so freakin' cool!!
    • Posted: May 31, 2018 06:10

😊 Thank you Ana, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: May 29, 2018 20:22

This is so darn cute Michelle! I love all your fairy houses but this may be my favorite. I love how you did the roof, the bricks, and all the cute accessories.
    • Posted: May 30, 2018 07:43

🙂 Thank you so much Linda. I must say those little bricks always add a special touch to fairy homes.They're just the right size
  • Posted: May 27, 2018 22:52

Christiana Acha

I am usually the worst when it comes to arts and creative stuff but you make this look really simple i am so tempted to try. I love the fairy house it's super cute and portable.
    • Posted: May 28, 2018 08:25

Thank you so much Christiana,and it's not that difficult to do. Just let yourself play, you'll be amazed at what happens
  • Posted: May 27, 2018 03:42

Preet

This little fairy garden house looks so adorable, love the creativity. This is so perfect and I would love to try this one with my daughter during the summer holidays. We both are definitely going to have a nice time together as we both love fairies and craft :)
    • Posted: May 27, 2018 04:59

Thanks so much Preet, I'm sure you'll both have so much fun 🙂
  • Posted: May 26, 2018 19:41

Jas - All that's Jas

OH MY WORD, you think of every little detail! The way you made the roof reminds me of hair extensions (roof extensions, lol). I just want to live in your perfect fairy world :)
    • Posted: May 27, 2018 05:02

LOL Jas, I never thought of that but you're right 😂 I It does look like I'm putting on hair extensions
  • Posted: May 26, 2018 15:11

Marie

Nobody makes faerie gardens as amazing as you, Michelle! Just when I thought you couldn't possibly outdo the last one, you did it again. Pinned and sharing :)
    • Posted: May 27, 2018 05:04

Awww Marie, thank you. I could build them all day if I had the time 💕
  • Posted: May 25, 2018 16:07

Super Mom - No Cape!

I love this idea! Finding the material for the thatch might be a bit of a challenge but this has gone on my list of Favorite Fairy houses!
    • Posted: May 28, 2018 10:55

Thank you so much Susan, I really appreciate that. Amazon sells the bundles and you should also be able to find some at most online doll house shops too
  • Posted: May 25, 2018 10:09

Mel

So cute!!! Any kid would love your fairy house.
    • Posted: May 25, 2018 14:43

Thanks so much Mel 😊
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 13:04

FLORENCE

Michelle, you make this look like it's as easy as pie! I wouldn't have had a clue how to use the coco fibers until you showed me. The lamp shade is perfect to use as the base for the roof, and I like how you used all the rest of the pieces to finish it off. I recognized the flower pot, but not sure what the other pieces on top were. You're soo crafty Michelle!
    • Posted: May 24, 2018 14:37

😊 Thanks so much Florence. I think that's what makes building fairy homes so special. Almost anything small can be repurposed or recycled to create them
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 10:46

I love fairies too! You nailed it with this thatched roof! It's so adorable and so very creative too!
    • Posted: May 24, 2018 14:37

Thanks so much Carolann. We all need some fairies in our lives
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 05:47

Pooja Kawatra

This is really so beautiful and would love to try this one with my kids during their summer holidays. That thatched roof is looking super awesome .
    • Posted: May 24, 2018 06:01

Hope you do get to try it Pooja, our kids love making fairy homes out of all kinds of things
  • Posted: May 23, 2018 15:25

NAti

Oh my! You outdid yourself! this little fairy garden house is absolutely adorable, I want to live in there! I am amazed on how you achieved that roof with coconut fibers and tape, it is simply amazing.
    • Posted: May 24, 2018 06:01

Thanks so much Natalia 😊
  • Posted: May 23, 2018 12:13

Ithfifi

Once again I am entirely in love! Your friend must have been super thrilled. The thatched roof adds so much character and charm but then theres everything else! All those tiny details on the windows, the door, the added clock.. You just leave me speachless everytime!
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 12:31

Awww Ithi, thank you. My friend has only seen the pictures and sounds super excited about her thatch roof fairy home. Hopefully she'll be picking it up this weekend and taking it home to her fairies
  • Posted: May 23, 2018 11:04

This is just so sweet, what a truly beautiful and unique idea. You are very creative indeed and have done such a lovely job recycling that lampshade.
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 11:12

Thanks so much Elizabeth
  • Posted: May 23, 2018 06:11

Cat Uy

Beautiful creation and to think that this comes from recycled materials, it stands out. I really admire your creativity and imagination. Good job!
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 09:38

Thank you Cat. I love trying to incorporate odd things into our fairy homes and that lamp shade was just calling to me 😊
  • Posted: May 23, 2018 05:20

Sam

This is so cute. Putting coconut fiber on tape sounds right up my alley. 😂 I might be able to handle a fairy house (I really wish I was more artsy!). I looked at page 2 to see the full fairy house & it’s too cute! No wonder they’re so popular.
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 09:40

😊 Thank you Sam, making fairy homes is one of the most relaxing things to do and you'll probably be surprised at how creative and artsy you actually are if you give it a try
  • Posted: May 22, 2018 19:49

Evelyn, PathofPresence

This is such creative and artistic work. I love seeing the photos and the step-by-step on how you have developed and made this creation suitable for our friends, the fairies. Excellent! 👍🏼
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 09:40

😊 Thanks so much Evelyn
  • Posted: May 22, 2018 18:51

Sarah

This is just adorable, my girls would love something like this for their fairy garden.
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 09:43

Well grab those little ones of yours Sarah and let your imaginations run wild. You'll have so much fun
  • Posted: May 22, 2018 18:07

You always surprise me with your crafts! But OMG this time you have overcome your own self my dear friend! What an imagination!!! You are so talented. I think nobody except you could think to make something like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted: May 23, 2018 09:44

😊 Thank you Christina. Whenever I need to take a break from the real world I end up making a fairy home
  • Posted: May 22, 2018 07:06

Explorethe6

I feel like my nieces would have a blast making this! It's so whimsical and fun!
    • Posted: May 22, 2018 07:46

Kids love making fairy gardens and homes and they have such amazing imaginations too. It always turns out special when they're part of the make
  • Posted: May 21, 2018 23:57

Sam - Raggedy Bits

Ridiculously cute Michelle!! What a cool way to repurpose an old lamp shade! Love the addition of the sweet clock face!
    • Posted: May 22, 2018 04:49

Thanks so much Sam, I really enjoy making fairy homes 🙂
  • Posted: May 21, 2018 23:51

This is so cute and whimsical. Thatched roofs are so nice and I have never seen a real one. Love this project.
    • Posted: May 22, 2018 04:52

You'll have to come visit us one day Leanna. Both our main house and our little cottage by the sea have a thatch roof. I couldn't imagine living in a home without one now. I love the atmosphere it creates
  • Posted: May 21, 2018 20:45

Just when I think it couldn't get any better, you come up with this! You've created the sweetest and most creative little fairy home! I don't think anyone but you could come up with this Michelle, what an inspiration you are! This is the most amazing fairy home there is! All the fairies will move over now, I'm sure!
    • Posted: May 22, 2018 04:56

😊 Thank you Katrin, that means a lot to me
  • Posted: May 21, 2018 17:24

Michelle the fairies are so happy with this house. It really looks life like and if we let our imaginations go we can definitely see a fairy or two walking into the house any minute now. All the pretty details are spot on!!
    • Posted: May 22, 2018 05:03

Thanks so much Mary, all those details is what makes it so much fun 🙂
  • Posted: May 21, 2018 15:04

That looks soooo cute. I have never seen a 'real thatch roof other than in villages in India. How fascinating. I bet your friend's fairy garden looks super charming. Blown away by your attention to detail. Xx ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: May 21, 2018 15:26

Oh my really. Quite a few homes here in South Africa have thatch instead of tiles and I absolutely love living in one. It's warm in Winter and cool in Summer. Mmmmmm isn't it fascinating how each country is different 💕