How To Cast Anything With This Two Ingredient Mold

Sometimes it’s just fun to play around and create for the pure joy of it. Case in point this little concrete pear. When our blog was MIA a few weeks ago I went into a total downer. And when this girl gets down, she goes shopping for food. Anyone else do that? So while walking around our local store I spied a plump, little green pear with the cutest butt ever. Weird I know. If I’m not feeling up tin cans to make a washing board I’m checking out the butts on pears 😀  Anyways she came home with me and rather than chopping her up for a fruit salad, I decided to make a two ingredient mold, and turn her into a paper weight instead.

Ever wanted to make your own silicone molds? All you need is two ingredients and you probably have them at home already. #mold #mould #concrete #DIY

Kinda cute right?!!! She’s been drizzled with a rich copper paint sauce. If I ever master the art of cooking I’d love to make a baked pear dish with a drizzle of sauce. It looks like something that could be served in a 5 star restaurant. Okay maybe not 😉 So since the only recipes I know how to follow are those that involve a strange mix of ingredients, let me share how to make a mold, using only two ingredients that can be used to cast almost anything.

Two Ingredient Casting Mold

• Silicone
  • Maizena or cornstarch

The Other Stuff

• Whatever you want to mould. I used my shapely pear 😉
  • Plastic knife for mixing
  • Mixing container
  • Caulking gun
  • Sharp knife
  • Super Glue
  • Gloves

Check out how to make your own molds using two basic ingredients you probably have at home already. #mold #mould #concrete #DIY

Prepping the Form for Molding

Wash and dry the pear, or whatever you decide to cast. Since I’ll be filling the mold with concrete once it’s dry I stuck a pen lid into the bottom of the pear. It helps keep the pear upright while the mold sets and will leave a hole that’s the right size for pouring in the concrete mix later.

See what I mean about the cute pear butt 😉 I stuck the pen lid into a bit of polystyrene before mixing up the mold. It’s a trick I learnt when painting polystyrene balls 😉

Mixing the Two Ingredient Mold

Put your gloves on and throw some cornstarch into a container. Cut the tip off of the silicone tube and put it inside the caulking gun. Squeeze some silicone into the cornstarch. Roughly the same amount. Then add some more cornstarch on top of the silicone and stir using the plastic knife. It’s probably best to do this outside. Silicone has an incredibly strong vinegary smell. When it looks like it’s almost mixed, start kneading the mixture until it forms a stiff paste that resembles bread dough.

If the mixture is too tacky or sticky add some more cornstarch. If it’s too dry and flaky, like in the piccy above, add more silicone. Once it’s ready, flatten it out a bit and wrap it around the shape you want to cast. About 7 to 10 mm thick is perfect. That’s about 1/4” to 3/8”. Make sure you squish it into all the nooks and crannies.

Sit back and wait for it to dry, probably about ½ hour depending on the silicone you used. Use a sharp knife to cut the mold and remove your form. The two ingredient mold is very pliable so you can just peel it off. If you’re molding a pear, please don’t eat it. Rather wash it off again and add it to the compost heap.

Use super glue to carefully glue the two halves back together again and it’s ready for casting.

Casting the two ingredient mold

You can either use concrete or plaster of paris. I didn’t have to add any kind of release agent, I simply mixed up some concrete and poured it inside the mold. Just make sure you shake it around a little to get rid of any air bubbles. Once the concrete sets, carefully cut along the seam lines and remove your form.

The two ingredient mold can be reused over and over again, just wash it off and you’re good to go. To finish the pear off, I used some copper paint to create that 5 star restaurant look and added a bent rusty nail as a stalk. The leaf was cut from a piece of metal that’s been lying outside in the rain for a few months.

See out how to make your own molds using two basic ingredients you probably have at home already. #mold #mould #concrete #DIY

A little bit of rust always works for me.

The easy two ingredient mold works really well and can be reused over and over again. And I do so love that combination of concrete, copper and rust.

Just a word of warning. Once you make your first mold, everything looks moldable 😀 We’ve turned an old broken doll into a garden ornament and even made our own Egyptian cartouche using the two ingredient mold.

And if you like the idea, don’t forget to save it to Pinterest, so you can find it again!
Ever wanted to make your own silicone mold? All you need is two ingredients and you probably have them at home already. #mold #mould #concrete #DIY

Pinny Please

Let me know what you think. What would you mold? And as always hope you have a wonderful week, filled with love and lots of interesting new finds.

P.S If you don’t want to go to all that trouble and find some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more unique DIY and  craft  tutorials to share with you  😉

Sale Dap 08641 Clear Silicone Sealant 9.8-Ounce
Sale Corn Starch (4 oz.) by Pure Organic Ingredients, Thickener For Sauces, Soup, & Gravy, Highest Quality, Kosher, USP & Food Grade, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Eco-Friendly (Also in 8 oz,1 lb, 2 lb, & 3 lb)
Sale CTS CEMENT MANUFACTURING 120020025 25LB Cement All Box

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: July 8, 2018 18:38

Kathleen

You sure were right about the pear butt! What a clever and attractive paperweight. Using the rusty nail and scrap tin for the stalk and leaf is genius at work. Just beautiful!
    • Posted: July 9, 2018 06:03

Thanks so much Kathleen. 🙂 Isn't that pear butt just the cutest thing ever.
  • Posted: May 28, 2018 22:06

Susan

What a wonderful idea! .... and the result is fantastic. The mind boggles with ideas that you could use this for. I'm in awe of your blog and your creativity (I'll have some of what she's having :) - I'm signing up to your Twitter so I don't miss anything.
    • Posted: May 29, 2018 09:16

🙂Thanks so much for that Susan and I'm sure with all the beautiful pieces you create you are going to make some amazing molds
  • Posted: May 21, 2018 12:28

Julia - Vintage with Laces

Oh Michelle, I've somehow missed this post. This is sooooo cool! I had no idea that you can make a mold with these ingredients. Thank you so much for sharing! Right now I don't have an idea for a mold but I will certainly keep this method in mind.
    • Posted: May 21, 2018 13:35

It's such a fun thing to do Julia and the best thing, it doesn't damage the original piece you used to create the mold. Sooooo guess what my lovely friend, I'll be making molds of those beautiful brooches of yours real soon 😀
  • Posted: May 16, 2018 15:00

Marie

How clever and creative is that and can't believe how easy it is to make a mold. Brilliant using a rusty nail for the stem and love how you finished your pear, especially the copper sauce running down. Again, you never cease to me amaze with your creativity, Michelle :)
    • Posted: May 17, 2018 13:32

💕 Thank you Marie, I'm having so much fun right now and making all kinds of moldable things
  • Posted: May 16, 2018 01:18

Sam - Raggedy Bits

How clever!!! You really come up with the best projects Michelle! I love how you used a nail for the top of the pear! So creative!
    • Posted: May 16, 2018 05:23

Awww Sam, thanks so much. That rusty bent nail just seemed perfect for the pear with the cute butt 😉
  • Posted: May 16, 2018 00:30

This is absolutely fabulous. I am putting this on my to-do list.
    • Posted: May 16, 2018 05:23

I'm so glad to hear that Debra and knowing you, you'll come up with some really amazing mold ideas too
  • Posted: May 15, 2018 12:25

This is so cool Michelle! I've never thought of making my own molds, I didn't know how easy it would be. Your pear does have a cute butt, lol. And turned out so pretty. Love the concrete, and rust together.
    • Posted: May 15, 2018 14:51

I swear that pear had the cutest butt I've ever seen on a fruit 😀
  • Posted: May 14, 2018 23:25

Ana Vukosavljevic

Woooooow!! This is so freaking awesome and it looks so easy to make. I saved it :D
    • Posted: May 15, 2018 04:56

It's really easy, as long as you get the dough-like consistency right you should have no problems Ana. Enjoy
  • Posted: May 14, 2018 22:47

I wish I could sit inside your mind with you for a day wow! I just love how this turned out! Gosh, now I feel compelled to try casting something too lol. I love the drizzle over top...it looks good enough to eat! You are so talented lady....I am always in awe of you!
    • Posted: May 15, 2018 05:41

😊 Thank you Carolann, and your welcome to fly over here anytime. Just think of all the fun we'll have together
  • Posted: May 14, 2018 07:16

OMG! What have you done here again Michelle! This is such a clever method to make everything you like. It is a piece of art, you know! I just loooooooooooooove it!
    • Posted: May 14, 2018 11:37

😉 So glad you like it Christina, thanks so much
  • Posted: May 14, 2018 00:48

Jas @ All that's Jas

You are a genius! That pear is everything. I'm speechless. Do your ideas come to you in a dream? How do you come up with them?
    • Posted: May 14, 2018 11:42

😀 Not so sure about the genius bit Jas 😉 but I sure do appreciate your comment my friend. I'm really not sure where the ideas come from most of the time they're just there. The hubby says I'm a little weird and that there's a md scientist living inside my head. Everything fascinates me
  • Posted: May 12, 2018 07:52

Michele Michael

Love the nail as a stem. Celebrating your creativity.
    • Posted: May 14, 2018 05:29

• Posted: May 12, 2018 04:57

Lorin Small

Freaking awesome! Just awesome! I'm hoping to use this to fix furniture. I cant wait to try it.
    • Posted: May 12, 2018 05:51

Oh that's wonderful Lorin. Let me know how it goes.
  • Posted: May 11, 2018 23:04

Deborah

I am just in awe! You are so brilliant! I now need to find something to mold!
    • Posted: May 12, 2018 05:31

Awwww thank you. I just know your going to have so much fun Deborah
  • Posted: May 11, 2018 18:26

Mia

Wow, Michelle!!!!!!!!!!!! I needed this recipe!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, thank you so much!!!!!!!!! What a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!!!! Kisses, my friend.
    • Posted: May 14, 2018 05:40

And right back at you Mia xoxoxo I'm so happy that you found the two ingredient mold recipe useful.
  • Posted: May 10, 2018 17:51

Katie

This is an awesome idea! It looks so easy too. I'll have to think about what I want to create.
    • Posted: May 11, 2018 06:33

😉 That's the fun bit, trying to figure out what to create. Right now everything in our house looks moldable 😀
  • Posted: May 9, 2018 23:03

Hi Michelle, this is so cute. So you have used the real pear to give this shape, great idea.
    • Posted: May 10, 2018 13:26

Thank you my friend, yes it was an actual pear
  • Posted: May 9, 2018 17:40

Preet

This is so amazing, always love your work, so cool and creative ideas. I have never made any molds but this is inspiring me to try it myself. I really like the rustic finish. It would be great to create a bunch of fruits like this in a bowl.
    • Posted: May 10, 2018 13:30

You're so sweet Preet, thank you. I do hope you get to try it. It's way to much fun
  • Posted: May 9, 2018 13:18

Nati

Wow Michelle! your project is amazing! what a fantastic way to reproduce and object with great precision and the final result is amazing. btw, when I'm down I do not shop for food, I shop for MAKEUP LOL!
    • Posted: May 10, 2018 13:29

😁 Now that's one thing I hardly ever shop for Nati. I probably still have make up from when I was in school in my drawer. I should probably use it to do some crazy experiment 😁
  • Posted: May 9, 2018 10:54

This is such an awesome project! I really like that it only has 2 ingredients and seems quite easy to do. The pear looks absolutely amazing!
    • Posted: May 9, 2018 11:45

Thank you Elizabeth, it really is super easy
  • Posted: May 9, 2018 04:08

Sam

This is really cool. Now you have the cute pear butt forever! 😆 The gold sauce definitely makes it 5 star worthy. I really like the bent screw as a stem.
    • Posted: May 9, 2018 05:32

😀 Yes!!! That butt's now been immortalized and I can make lots of them 😀
  • Posted: May 9, 2018 03:39

chris

wow that is truly beautiful work
    • Posted: May 9, 2018 05:31

Thank you Chris, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 18:02

Ithfifi

SO much awesomeness! I looked at the picture for a minute before reading trying to work out how on earth you had done this, it looks simply stunning! It also took me a minute to realise that the stem was actually a nail! Everything about this is perfection. How do you discover all these amazing techniques, is it something you already know or do you tend to do experiments? :D
    • Posted: May 9, 2018 05:41

😊 Thank you Ithi. I suppose it depends on the project but I do really love to experiment. The world fascinates me, there's just so much to learn and try, I don't any of us will ever have enough time to do it all. And google and pinterest and youtube make it so much easier to find new ideas
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 12:50

kumamonjeng

This is so cute and I think one is not enough to decorate in my living room. I needed to have few pieces at least to place it in the coffee tables in the living room.
    • Posted: May 8, 2018 13:12

Ahhhh yes, just imagine a whole bunch of concrete fruit in a bowl. That would look so lovely
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 12:38

I would have NEVER thought of it. Never. You are so creative. And enthusiastic about these projects. I can feel it through your words and interactions. You should give classes and may be spread this joy? I know I would take your class. I yearn to use my hands to create something. Love the end result. It came out so well. ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: May 9, 2018 05:42

😊 Thank you Tanvi, that means a lot to me
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 05:06

You are so clever to make your own mold and this pear really is a cutie! Lovely! I feel like concreting [is that a word?] now!!
    • Posted: May 8, 2018 05:34

Ooooo I hope so, the concreting bug sure has bitten me hard 😉
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 01:51

FLORENCE

That looks quite impressive Michelle! So you used a real pear to mold around? I like the rust application at the end too. It looks sort of like a gourd. I had no idea it was that easy to make molds. Now you can make no end of things to put out in your garden.
    • Posted: May 8, 2018 05:34

I've been having so much fun with making the molds. Nothing is safe anymore. I even "borrowed" some of my daughter's dolls to make a few 😉
  • Posted: May 7, 2018 21:10

Rebecca

This is awesome! I can't wait to try it out. I've been wanting to try making silicon molds forever, but I thought I had to buy expensive mold-making stuff. I never realized I could make a mold with 2 ingredients I already have. Thank you!
    • Posted: May 8, 2018 06:02

🙂 You are going to have sooooo much fun Rebecca. I honestly can't wait to see what you come up with and the kids can make all kinds of things for their fairy gardens too
  • Posted: May 7, 2018 21:04

Such a cool project Michelle. I tell you that pear with its copper sauce looks good enough to eat. And the rusty nail is also very inspired! I may just try this when I unbury myself out of the mountain of furniture.
    • Posted: May 8, 2018 05:29

Oh that's good to hear Mary. You're going to have so much fun with it