Dreams are Made of Concrete and Fairy Lights

Our little blog was down for a few days, but we’re back and I have a confession to make. Playing with concrete makes me scared. Well it used to anyway 😉 Now I think I’m ever so slightly addicted. It’s sooo much fun and actually pretty easy. If you can mix plaster of paris, you can mix concrete. So without too much further ado, may I introduce you to my first ever concrete creation. A dreamy, broken wine goblet filled with swirling fairy lights resting on a concrete base.

Doesn’t that just look so pretty? I really love the way the concrete contrasts so beautifully with the ethereal, light filled wine goblet. Wanna make one too?

What You Need
  • Broken Wine Goblet or Empty Glass
  • Plastic Lids or Small Glass Bowl
  • Fairy Lights
  • Duct Tape
  • A Straw
  • Glue
  • Cement

I used Sculptcrete, which is available locally here in South Africa. It’s a super fine and sets reasonably quickly. If you’re in the States or Canada you can use Rapid Set Cement All instead. Here’s another confession. I always thought that concrete and cement were the same thing 😀 But concrete is normally a mix of three pieces, cement (which comes in a powder form); additives and water. When cement is mixed with water it basically becomes the glue that holds everything together to form concrete. To make the concrete mix you’ll need:

• A Jug of Water
  • Plastic Mixing Containers with a wide mouth to make it easier to mix the concrete.
  • Measuring Cups – I just used the lids from a spray cans
  • Gloves – if you don’t want to lose your finger prints 😉
  • Dust Mask– trust me that that fine cement powder goes every where
  • Plastic Knife
  • Optional Extras
    • Concrete Colour or Stain. You can also use acrylic paints
    • Additives like peat, sand, perlite, vermiculite, bits of paper etc. if you want to roughen things up a little 😉

Mixing the Concrete

All concrete mixes come with instructions that are pretty easy to follow. But here’s the thing – the more water you add, the longer it takes to dry and the weaker the end product will be. So if you want to build a house, use less water 😉 We’re just making a small base for the wine goblet so I didn’t measure exactly. You want to end up with a mixture that’s a little goopey. I found it easier to add little bits of water at a time until the mixture resembled thick whipped cream. Once you have the consistency you’re looking for simply pour or scoop the concrete into your mold.

Preparing the Mold for the Concrete Mix

For the mold I just used a clean, rounded, plastic lid. No idea where it came from, but a small glass bowl would work too. You can also make you own mold using this easy, two ingredient recipe. Since I wanted to hide the battery pack for the fairy lights inside the base, I needed to add bits of cardboard around the battery pack, to make it wider. The whole thing was then wrapped in duct tape to protect it.

To create hole for the fairy lights to thread through, I cut a straw and glued it to the bottom of the plastic lid.

And the battery pack was balanced on top of the straw before adding the concrete mix. I let the concrete set for a day, just to be safe, before removing it from the mold. If you’re using something like Rapid Set Cement All, it should be set in a few hours.

And the fairy lights fit perfectly through the little hole left by the straw 😉 Sand and stain the concrete base to suit your decor if you like, or leave it as is.

Adding the Light Filled Goblet

I really wanted the lights to look like they’d been spellbound inside the goblet. Swirling around like a magical tornado if that makes any kind of sense. So I attached three silver leaves to a larger bead which was then glued inside the goblet. To finish off, thread the lights through the hole and up into the wine goblet and glue the battery pack down.

And finally glue the goblet to the concrete base.

And when the lights are switched on you get that magical effect, which I abSoooooLutely love.

This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine, shine, shineClick To Tweet

A dreamy repurposed wine goblet filled with fairy lights and tips on how to work with concrete #repurposed #concrete #tips

Doesn’t it look like there’s a whole bunch of crazy fairies dancing and swirling around those silver leaves?

And when the lights are off it looks almost steampunkish and so intriguing.

I’d love to know what you think and if you’ve played around with concrete or repurposed broken wine glasses? While the blog was down we made a whole bunch of other stuff too, which hopefully will go up on the blog soon. Oh and if you like the idea, don’t forget to share it with your friends and/or save it to Pinterest.

Pinny Please

If you don’t want to try and find some of the materials we used, I’ve got you covered Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us fund my concrete addiction 😉

Sale Anchor Hocking Vienna Stemless White Wine Glasses, 15 oz (Set of 4)
Richland Submersible Fairy String Lights Warm White LED Battery Op. 5ft
Sale CTS CEMENT MANUFACTURING 120020025 25LB Cement All Box

And as always hope you have a wonderful crafty week, filled with love

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Recycling Crafts

Comments

• Posted: June 10, 2018 15:27

LisaBeth

What a simply beautiful display . Thank you for such lovely inspiration.
    • Posted: June 11, 2018 05:49

Thanks so much LisaBeth, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: June 3, 2018 13:59

This is so magical Michelle, love the fairy lights and the leaves, it really seems there is a garden fairy inside. I have been wanting to try something with cement (which by the way I thought it was the same as concrete too) for so long, I think I will follow your instructions
    • Posted: June 4, 2018 15:53

I can't believe it took me so long to play with the stuff, I'm a totally slightly addicted now. It really is so much fun and the possibilities are endless too. You will have a ball Pili and concrete aka cement is so forgiving. Well maybe not if you're making something huge, but for the little decor stuff it's great
  • Posted: May 10, 2018 08:57

Tiffany Yong

Wow, you are good with the fairy lights, I have always wanted to make and customise my own, not concrete ones, but this is inspiring~
    • Posted: May 10, 2018 13:31

I just love fairy lights. They always add such a delicate touch to something
  • Posted: May 8, 2018 18:13

What a brilliant idea again Michelle! It looks old as if you found it in an abandoned castle... you know what I mean...
    • Posted: May 9, 2018 05:34

That's such a lovey way to describe it, thanks Christina
  • Posted: May 3, 2018 01:37

Sam - Raggedy Bits

What a neat idea!! I can see a whole bunch of these pretties outside on the deck twinkling away!
    • Posted: May 3, 2018 05:36

They'd be perfect for outside Sam
  • Posted: May 1, 2018 23:57

Deborah

WOW!! You are BRILLIANT. This is gorgeous! What fun it would be to thrift and make projects together #oneday
    • Posted: May 2, 2018 05:42

That would be just amazing Deborah #oneday 💕
  • Posted: April 28, 2018 14:34

Marie-The Interior Frugalista

Another amazing broken wine glass and fairy project, Michelle! You really make a gal want to take out her frustrations on some wine glasses. Pinned
    • Posted: April 29, 2018 13:55

LOL Marie, go for it, it's a great way to get rid of those frustrations 🙂
  • Posted: April 27, 2018 22:02

FLORENCE

Michelle, that's so innovative! Love these wine glass crafts you do! Love the look of the lights swirling over the leaves, and the concrete base looks really cool in brown. What will you think of next? You're so creative! Maybe your computer should be down more often, LOL.
    • Posted: April 28, 2018 05:34

😀 Maybe it should. Strange how we spend so much time in front of an object that connects us with the world but at the same time takes away our ability to go outside and do something for real.
  • Posted: April 26, 2018 06:43

Well done on using concrete. Your fairy light is so whimsical and fun. The lights look like little fire flys. This is perfect for an outdoor table under a tree.
    • Posted: April 28, 2018 05:35

Thank you Leanna. I must say it really has been fun playing with concrete and there are so many things you can do with it.
  • Posted: April 25, 2018 23:39

Joyce

So you made this from scratch? Very creative, I love that you used yellowish light makes it more fairy and not bright light. I think I can have this in my bedroom.
    • Posted: April 28, 2018 05:37

It would make such a pretty night light in a bedroom, thanks Joyce
  • Posted: April 25, 2018 22:40

I'm wowed once again. I've been itching to work with concrete too! I just love the lights. They are so dreamy. You've inspired me to give it a whirl! I just love that start too!
    • Posted: May 1, 2018 05:03

You've got to try it Carolann, you love it and with all the jute creations you make they would look so good together
  • Posted: April 25, 2018 17:00

I am so fascinated by your blog. It must be so satisfying to be able to create things with your own two hands. I try and imagine what it would be like - but I am too lazy to do it ... may be if I had some company I would give it a try. These fairy lights turned out sooo well. Such a cute idea. ❥ tanvii.com
    • Posted: April 28, 2018 05:40

Thank you so much Tanvi, what a lovely compliment. Making things is always so satisfying and I do understand. We often just have so much on our plate that it's difficult to find the time to make something. I'm really glad you liked the lights
  • Posted: April 25, 2018 08:57

Nati

Aw, this is so sweet! Again Michelle, you've totally impressed me with your creation, I think I would be very afraid of using concrete!
    • Posted: April 25, 2018 13:51

You're so sweet Nati, thank you 💕
  • Posted: April 25, 2018 03:26

Tee Evans

This was a very cool idea. I know my 2 year old would love starring at that, lol!
    • Posted: April 25, 2018 13:46

You're so right Tee, little people are fascinated by the twirling lights 😉
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 22:17

Oh this is sooo cute Michelle! You are very creative with your endless supply of broken wine glasses. I love this! Love how the cement looks, and the broken wine glass with the fairy lights. <3
    • Posted: April 25, 2018 13:48

LOL, and we don't even drink wine, but we do have a whole bunch of friends who do and they are a never ending source of broken wine glasses for us 💕
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 21:00

Oh wow this is truly stunning, what a really creative idea it would be perfect for a garden party or even a gift, mothers day is coming up!
    • Posted: April 25, 2018 13:49

Thank you Elizabeth, they do look lovely in the garden at night
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 16:55

Chastity

Wow this is a serious DIY project that I can’t even make!! This looks so fabulous I wish I was talented to create something like this. You should sell on Etsy so wonderful!!
    • Posted: April 25, 2018 13:49

Thank Chastity, that's such a lovely compliment
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 15:14

Sue Tanya Mchorgh

I really like this fairy lights idea. I think this is a really good diy project. I can't wait to see how mine will turn out.
    • Posted: April 25, 2018 13:50

Hope you get to try it Sue Tanya and don't forget to share if you do
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 13:17

Ithfifi

Still can't fathom how you create such amazing, magical and perfect things, I love this, this is like a summer nights fairytale! You never fail to amaze me. Ps I don't think I've be brave enough to play with concrete!!
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 13:35

💕 If my nails were covered with gorgeous nail art, like yours Ithi I wouldn't play with concrete either. In fact I wouldn't even wash the dishes 😉
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 07:03

kumamonjeng

Wow, looks like you have a magic hands! Didn't know that the broken wine glass could be turned into something so special. Love how you hid the batteries and the dancing lights!
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 09:28

Thanks so much 😉
  • Posted: April 24, 2018 06:03

Sam

This is a cute project! I love the silver leaves & fairy lights. It looks so whimsical & the base looks grounding, like the Earth. If I ever build a house, I’ll keep in mind to use less water. 😜
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 09:27

😉 Yup, I'd be very careful with mixing everything up exactly when building a house, but for something like this, it's just fun to play around and see how it turns out
  • Posted: April 23, 2018 22:35

I am so happy that you are back and running! Michelle I am sorry to say I have never done any sort of fairy light work other than hang them on the wall. As for concrete only to add it to tiles when we were doing the kitchen. I think there is a learning curve there. Your project came out very steam punkish and has loads of texture to keep me happy!
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 09:26

You and me both Mary. It was horrible when it went down, but it gave me a whole bunch of free time to experiment and push some boundaries. So there's always a silver lining somewhere 💕
  • Posted: April 23, 2018 19:31

Aw I am a sucker for fairy lights, you know. I love your concrete base for this cute fairy lantern, so clever to have the battery box hidden underneath!! Concrete is so much fun hey??
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 09:24

Yay for concrete and conquering fears. I'm really enjoying working with it. So many possibilities, so little time 😉
  • Posted: April 23, 2018 19:26

Julia - Vintage with Laces

You don't seem to run out of broken wine glasses, lol. That's another fabulous project, Michelle! The concrete base turned out great and looks lovely with the fairy lights top. I look forward to seeing what else you've been up to. :)
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 09:22

LOL, wine glasses break here all the time, but for now I think I've gone through all the ones I can repurpose. Well until the next party 😊
  • Posted: April 23, 2018 16:38

Kim

Very cool and very crafty. You have me dreaming of summer nights...
    • Posted: April 24, 2018 09:21