A Broken Chair Back Becomes a Tiny Little Shelf

Hey there, hope you’re having a happy week.  What have you been up to?  We were supposed to go to a birthday celebration this weekend, but the hubby had to work. UGH, the joys of being an IT Geek.  So while he was stuck in front of his laptop I pottered around in the workshop trying to figure out what I could make with all the awesome crap stuff we have.  And that’s when I found this broken chair back.

How To Turn a Broken Chair Back Into a Shelf

I have no idea what that other thing is, so it got tossed back into the pile for another day, while I tried to figure out what to do with the chair back. I’ve seen quite a few chairs repurposed as shelves, but they all had the seat portion still attached.  So that wouldn’t work………… or would it?  Mmmmm, maybe I could just add a shelfie bit. But first things first. That  broken chair back needed to be cleaned and all the old varnish had to come off, along with those wooden bits.

The chair back is curved and there’s a decent amount of space that was worth exploring. Using a piece of cardboard I made a template to fit that curved space.

And then I used the template to cut a piece of wood to fit.

Pretty good for someone who still trying to figure out how to cut curved lines with a jigsaw 😀

Have you ever wondered what a chair would look like if our knees bent the other way?Click To Tweet

Okay moving on 😉 All the bits were sanded and stained, before I glued and screwed the piece of wood to the broken chair. And just like that we had a tiny little narrow shelf. It’s just wide enough to display a treasured photo and other small bits.

Even a broken chair back deserves a second chance. Super idea to turn it into a little shelf #DIYHomeDecor #BrokenShelf #Repurpose

Don’t you just love that photo? It was taken a few years ago when we went away for a weekend with some really good friends of ours.

Good friends have no shelf lifeClick To Tweet

And those cute hugging salt and pepper shakers?

I draped a string of stars that I cut out using our Sizzix Big Shot over the shelf.  Love that little machine. I can’t tell you how easy it makes my life. Just imagine trying to cut all those stars out by hand.  Even if  that specific die wasn’t a freebie that we got for being one of their creative team members, I probably would have bought it.  We’ve even used it make a wreath that we hung behind our pom pom Christmas tree. Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have a broken chair lying around somewhere.

Oh and don’t forget to pin just in case you want to repurpose yours into a shelf too 😉

Pinny Please

Want to get a similar look? We’ve got you covered. Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more repurposing ideas to share with you 😉

Hugging Couple Lovers Salt & Pepper Shakers Cruet Set - Black & White
Sale pinkblume Silver Decoration Kit,Star Paper Garland,3D Stars Party Decor,Metallic Bunting Banner-Holiday Supplies,Birthday,Wedding,Baby Shower,Hanging Decorations for Nursery,Kids,Girls Room (4 Set).…
BLACK 11x14 Photo Wood Frame with Mat (2 frames per box)

And as always wishing you a very blessed and beautifully crafty week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Furniture Hacks, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts, Trash to Treasure

Comments

• Posted: February 5, 2018 17:44

Michelle, I love this shelf!! Great idea to just add the missing shelf bit. I also love how you styled it. The picture is awesome and those stars are beautiful!!
    • Posted: February 8, 2018 07:59

😉 Thank you Keri, I'm glad we could use the poor broken chair for something
  • Posted: January 30, 2018 00:50

Jelica

Michelle, you are truly a genius when it comes to taking broken, unwanted pieces and creating something unique and charming. And I love how you decorated the shelf with that string of stars. It turned out so beautifully :)
    • Posted: January 30, 2018 07:00

Thank you so very much Jelica 🙂 I'm really happy with how the little shelf turned out. We'll probably be taking it down to our tiny little holiday home at the coast. It's the perfect size and fit for a small eclectic space.
  • Posted: January 28, 2018 18:19

Ellie Plummer

I am so impressed by this. I love how you styled the shelf, it looks so chic and it's just a great use of the chair back.
    • Posted: January 29, 2018 16:07

• Posted: January 28, 2018 18:08

First, I love the photo! And that shelf - my heart be still. I just love it. You always manage to make me say wow at your creations. You are such an inspiration!
    • Posted: January 29, 2018 11:10

Thank you my friend 😊 I really appreciate that. I'm so glad I discovered you in this big virtual world
  • Posted: January 27, 2018 23:47

FLORENCE

You know what I like about your little shelf? It doesn't jut out so far like a chair with a seat would. It's just right, like you say, to display a little photo or special things like you're doing. And the only thing I don't like about your vignette is...I can't see that picture very well, LOL. Here I am trying to make the screen bigger so I can see it. Not happening.
    • Posted: January 28, 2018 07:05

😀 LOL Florence, you're so sweet. The photo was taken in a beautiful little mining town called Pilgrim's Rest. The whole town is a historical monument and filled with so many interesting things. You would love it.
  • Posted: January 26, 2018 23:56

Jas @ All that's Jas

That is just adorable, as is everything you make or even touch. You have magic hands, my dear. Have a great weekend. P.S. That other 'thing' looks like a chair leg to me. It has a hole for the stretcher, no?
    • Posted: January 27, 2018 03:33

Mmmmmmm I think you might be right Jas. Oh dear I wonder where the other legs have gone 😀
  • Posted: January 26, 2018 19:52

Katelynn|

Very unique! Great job #sweetinspiration
    • Posted: January 27, 2018 03:34

• Posted: January 26, 2018 17:12

Come on Michelle! You drive me crazy... the broken glasses, the broken chair... what is next??? You are so clever on how to repurpose things... so creative!
    • Posted: January 27, 2018 03:35

😊 Awww Christina, thank you so much, that means a lot my friend
  • Posted: January 26, 2018 14:57

Agnes Vazhure

Wow!! This is really amazing. I really like this wall decoration and you are so creative to give new life in an old broken chair.
    • Posted: January 29, 2018 16:05

Thank you so much Agnes. It's one of the thing we love doing the most. Trying to breath new life into something that someone would normally just throw aways
  • Posted: January 26, 2018 13:23

Jagriti Roy

Aww!! How nicely you have made this cute shelf from a broken thing that many of us will definitely abandon saying it is of no use anymore.. You have got such a talent of craftsmanship... I am amazed...
    • Posted: January 29, 2018 16:06

Thank you Jagriti. It's so much fun finding new uses for things that other people would discard. Everything deserves a second chance 😉
  • Posted: January 25, 2018 14:19

Julia - Vintage with Laces

You did a great job with the jigsaw, Michelle! Electric saws freak me out a bit. Your shelf turned out so cute! You always come up with such creative ideas! Very well done, my friend!
    • Posted: January 26, 2018 05:07

Thanks my friend. They freaked me out in the beginning too Julia. I think it's the noise they make, well for me anyways 🙂 but I'm slowly getting the hang of using them and love all the things you can do with them
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 21:27

steve walters

What a brilliant idea! This is just so creative and smart. I think it looks great with the items you added around and on it as well.
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 06:16

Thanks so much Steve, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 21:02

Hi Michelle, every time I come to your blog, you amaze me with so cute DIY project. This is really a cute back shelf, and the hugging salt and pepper shaker are cute. I have the same like that, which I bought in Pretoria.
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 05:27

Those little shakers are so cute, if I remember correctly I think we bought ours in Pretoria too at on of the markets.
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 20:30

Angela Ricardo Bethea

This creation really amazed me! At home, we just throw out the broken chairs or other stuff but this is very wise, smart and artistic way of using things again.
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 06:17

Thanks Angela 🙂 We love taking broken bits and trying to turn them into something new. It doesn't always work but it's so much fun trying
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 20:16

Preet

This looks absolutely amazing, love it. You have such a creative mind, looking at the broken chair back shelf and the finished shelf, the shelf looks like it was made to fit that place. Love the cute photo :)
    • Posted: January 26, 2018 05:11

😊 Thank you Preet, I'm real glad you like it
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 15:54

Shubhada Bhide

This is totally impressive. Your DIY back shelf looks so cute and perfect for a wall decoration.I would like to have one.
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 06:17

Thank you Shub 🙂 I'm glad you like it
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 15:19

You creativity and skill has no limit. Such a great way to use the chair. I also like a photo ... a little glimpse into your life! :)
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 05:40

Thanks my friend. That photo was taken a long time ago on my 40th birthday and it's still one of my favorites
  • Posted: January 24, 2018 04:12

Conchita

The finished product is amazing and even looks new and fresh! Love this idea, you're so creative.
    • Posted: January 26, 2018 05:10

• Posted: January 23, 2018 22:38

Melanie williams

Wow this is fab. Clearly you are very creative and innovative to even think of this and the result looks great x
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 06:18

Thanks so much Melanie, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 22:00

Alicia Taylor

Ha! Brilliant! I have a broken chair in my garage. It was going to the dump this weekend, but I think it will find a new life, now.
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 05:38

Yay, I just saved a chair 😉 Thanks Alicia
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 21:38

shadlyn

That's a great way to reuse broken furniture! I would have never thought of doing that.
    • Posted: January 26, 2018 05:07

Thanks so much Shadlyn 🙂
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 20:37

Ithfifi

Oh no! Just realised I was too late to vote, I am so sorry I missed it!
    • Posted: January 24, 2018 05:27

No worries at all my friend. I should probably take the vote button down since they've closed the online voting process.
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 20:36

Ithfifi

Gorgeous as always and it looks so in place with the sweet photo, cute hugging salty and peppery people and the stars! In all honesty if you hadn't ever mentioned the chair I would have just assumed it was a very beautiful shelf! I love your creativity, like how you thought of this idea is so beyond me! I hope you are having a happy week too besides the cancellation! Off to vote for your blog! <3
    • Posted: January 24, 2018 05:26

😊 Thank you Ithi, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 19:43

Bea

Oh Michelle! Every time you surprise me even more with your creativity! I had never thought of doing this! Simply amazing!
    • Posted: January 24, 2018 05:24

Ahhhh Bea, thank you so much
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 16:51

Stevie

Oh my gosh! This is so amazing!!! I wish I was able to figure out how to do stuff like this on my own!! So cool!
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 05:36

Thank you Stevie, no if only I knew how to take beautiful photos like you do 🙂
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 09:45

Joanna

That is indeed a brilliant idea to give life to an old broken chair. I would have never thought about creating a shelf out of the top part. It turned out really nice and I like that you've painted it in 2 colors. The stars add-on definitely gives it personality.
    • Posted: January 26, 2018 05:08

Thank you Joanna. I think I'll be draping stars over everything now 🙂
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 07:14

Samantha

I love how you find creative ways to upcycle/repurpose items. It’s so cute! I love the hugging shakers and really love the stars. The tweets are great; the first one is thought provoking. 😂
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:28

Yeah, that one made me think a bit too 😀 I bet most of our furniture would look way different if our knees went the other way 😉
  • Posted: January 23, 2018 01:32

I love this little shelf. It is perfect to display your treasured photo. Chair make overs are so creative
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:26

Thanks Debra 😀
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 23:52

Cia Black

Love this, I was just telling my husband how we needed a few floating type shelves, but I like this much better. SO much more creative and would fit better with our eclectic taste.
    • Posted: January 26, 2018 05:12

😊 Thank you Cia, it has become a bit of a talking point in our home, which I love
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 23:21

What a cute little shelf Michelle! I think for someone that's still trying to learn to cut a curve with a jigsaw you did an awesome job. I do think that you conquered it. What a fun photo! Did yall go on a hunt or it's just posing for the photo?
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:26

Ahhhhh no we were just posing for the picture. It was taken in a small little town in South Africa called Pilgrim's Rest. We're not big fans of hunting unless it's for food.
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 22:59

Tonya

Very Talented!! Looks great!!
    • Posted: January 25, 2018 06:20

• Posted: January 22, 2018 22:56

Aaron

This is so creative! And man I love those tweets. Much puns.
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:24

LOL Aaron, glad you like the tweets 😀
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 21:01

Fabiola Zefi

What an absolutely neat idea. I am the worst at creating furniture as I am so impatient! HAHA. But this looks so easy ... although so do the many pinterest thing I attempt. LOL
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:23

😀 I'm like that too Fabiola. I've pinned so many things that I think I can do and then it just doesn't work out they way I expected
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 19:32

I would have never thought of making a shelf out of the broken chair back, you have some imagination and then some skills to actually make it work! Wow. Love that little shelf and I agree, such a lovely photo and decor you added to this cutie. Well done friend :)
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:22

Thanks so much my friend. I'm finally starting to master the jigsaw 😀
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 16:02

Aww Michelle, it took me a bit to figure this out but now I get it and I think it is such a smart repurpose!! Using that extra bit of wood really makes a great little shelf. And of course it looks wonderful on the wall with all your special things on it.
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:22

Oh dear me, did I explain it all wrong. Sorry about that Mary but I'm sure glad you like it. Thank you my friend
  • Posted: January 22, 2018 16:01

Laura Ingalls Gunn

What an absolutely charming upcycle! I adore the styling on the shelf. Have a happy Monday!
    • Posted: January 23, 2018 08:21

😊 Thank you so much Laura, that means alot coming from you. You always have such impeccable style