Empty Crisp Packets and a Magic Wallet – So Cool

Happy New Year. Hope it’s a good one and filled with many magical moments. I planned to do so much over the December break and didn’t even get round to half of them. Oh well, I suppose that’s life. We did however make a magic wallet or three. Have you heard of them? Seriously it’s the coolest thing ever. A friend of ours has one and I couldn’t stop playing with it when he first showed us. Recycle those empty crisp packets and make an awesome magic wallet. It's just so cool. Video tutorial included

See how the money flips from one side to the other? It  just boggles my mind. Most things do though 😉 And it turns out that they’re really easy to make. Wanna see how we made this one by recycling empty crisp packets?

What You Need to Make a Magic Wallet From Empty Crisp Packets
  • 2 packets of your favorite crisps
  • Cardboard
  • Sticky tape, glue, ribbon and scissor
  • A cold beverage (optional)

Empty the crisps into a large bowl to enjoy at your leisure while we make the magic inside bits of the wallet 😉 Measure the empty crisp packets and cut 4 pieces of thick cardboard that are about 1- 3 cm smaller than the crisp packets. That’s about 1/2″ to 1″ 😀 Cut 4 pieces of ribbon that are about 4 cm wider than the pieces of cardboard. Tape a piece of ribbon to the top and bottom of one of the pieces of cardboard. Make a cross with the other pieces of ribbon and tape it down in the center of another piece of cardboard.

Flip both pieces of cardboard over and slide them together so they line up neatly as shown below.

Start taping the outer bits of ribbon down as shown in the pics. Thank goodness for photos, otherwise none of this would make any kind of sense 😀

Flip the whole thing over and remove the tape. That’s the inside of the magic wallet done. You might need a refill if you poured that cold beverage 😉 Wash and dry the empty crisp packets at the same time. Glue them down onto the two other pieces of cardboard.

Then glue the crisp covered cardboard onto the outside of the magic wallet to hide the stuck down ribbon bits.

If that all seemed terribly confusing you can see how we made them in the video below! And no I don’t have the shakes I just tried to speed the video up so I didn’t bore you all to tears 😀

Wouldn’t it make an awesome gift for the kids? They can wow their friends and you get to recycle at the same time. Which is always a plus in my books.

Pin me for later. I know you want to

So now I need to try and tackle all the other things I never got around to doing. What have you been up too?

Wishing you a truly wonderful 2018. Craft on beautiful friends and here’s to saving the planet one crisp packet at a time 😉

Categories:   Quick & Easy Crafts, Recycling Crafts

Comments

• Posted: January 22, 2018 06:00

Michelle, that wallet is mesmerizing. Seriously that's too cool! This would be a fun gift for anyone. Thanks for sharing the how to.
    • Posted: January 22, 2018 06:50

It is. I can flip it over all day long. It's just so cool and kids love it
  • Posted: January 9, 2018 12:30

Oh Michelle! How fun is this? And how do you think to make all these projects!!! You are really a very talented person
    • Posted: January 9, 2018 14:37

💕 Thank you Christina
  • Posted: January 8, 2018 00:12

Florence

Unlike a lot of the others, I don't think I've seen this before, and I believe my eyes ARE playing tricks on me! Ha! Going to watch your video to see if I can figure out what's happening. Are the packets about as big as a DVD holder?
    • Posted: January 8, 2018 06:19

LOL Florence, I'm still trying to figure it out and yes the packets are about the size of a DVD holder
  • Posted: January 7, 2018 08:50

Candy Rachelle

This is really cool. I have to make one of these wallets for my kids tricky magic. lol!!! They will like this so much, for sure.
    • Posted: January 8, 2018 06:19

I'm sure they'll love it Candy 😀
  • Posted: January 6, 2018 13:23

What a fun project. I remember years ago when they came to the market. I was like wowo and still am. Great for kids to do too!
    • Posted: January 7, 2018 04:56

Thanks so much Carolann 😀 They're fascinating to play with
  • Posted: January 4, 2018 21:36

Amy

I’m with you, I always still have leftover tasks that I wish I’d have time to finish over the break! But this wallet! Super cute and so so fun?! My boys will love this, as they have a blast with these how to videos and making all sorts of cool things!
    • Posted: January 5, 2018 14:58

Your boys will love making these Amy and they can wow their friends when they do the magic 😉
  • Posted: January 4, 2018 21:15

This is so cool Michelle! I do remember seeing them before but never new how it worked. It is magical! Looks like a really fun project for the kids, I think my grandson would love this. Happy New Year, and happy creating in 2018! Can't wait to see what other awesome projects you have to share!
    • Posted: January 5, 2018 15:01

I must admit Linda, I still don't have a cooking clue how they work 😀 but it just does. I'm sure your Grandson is going to love making one with his Gran. And a happy, beautiful New Year to you too my friend
  • Posted: January 4, 2018 15:00

I have never seen the magic wallet before and it really is so tricky! My girls would love to make one of these. Thanks for such a fun craft to make for the last days of our winter break. ;) Happy New Year to you and your family Michelle! <3
    • Posted: January 5, 2018 15:03

They will totally love making them Katrin and knowing how talented you all are I bet their's are going to be something extra special. Happy New Year to you too my friend 💕
  • Posted: January 4, 2018 02:19

jossy

Wow!!! this is such a great idea, I would love to try my hands on it. Thanks for sharing this
    • Posted: January 4, 2018 13:46

Thanks so much Jossy. Let me know how it goes if you get a chance
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 22:58

Kesha

This has to the the cutest project! We are going to make this for our son. He is going to love it!
    • Posted: January 4, 2018 04:19

I'm sure he will Kesha 😊
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 16:32

Ariel

This is seriously beyond neat and cool! I love DIY projects like this, especially ones that are so easy and simple. Thank you for sharing this, I am definitely going to have to do this!
    • Posted: January 4, 2018 04:16

Have fun with it Ariel 😉
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 15:02

Sue Tanya McHorgh

Happy new year to you and your family. This is such a cool idea. I would love to make one of these wallets.
    • Posted: January 4, 2018 04:16

Thank you Sue Tanya and to you are yours too
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 12:54

Chique

I am going to share this with my girls’ troops and maybe even have my son make one at home. This is a great snow day project too!
    • Posted: January 4, 2018 04:19

Enjoy, they will have so much fun making their own.
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 07:17

Tiffany

That is such an awesome idea! I would be playing with it so much lol. I could see my daughter gifted class or Girl Scouts doing a project like this! They could couple it with a money lesson...hmmm! Thanks for the tutorial and for the ideas!
    • Posted: January 3, 2018 08:51

That's an awesome idea Tiffany and the girls will have so much fun 😀
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 04:36

I had one of these as a child. I remember how fascinating it was. Good memories and a great project.
    • Posted: January 3, 2018 04:44

Aren't they just sooooo cool. Glad it brought back some good memories for you Debra
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 01:08

Happy New year to you and your family. OMG, this magic wallet is so lovely and using such simple items like a crisp packet. You are really good and makes lovely DIY things with anything and everything. I have to learn a lot from you.
    • Posted: January 3, 2018 08:55

Thank you so much my friend and naya saal mubaarak ho my friend 💕
  • Posted: January 2, 2018 17:05

This is such a clever project Michelle. I have seen it before but always thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Now at least I know how it's done. As for the holiday break, I did nothing but cook and eat. That is what the holidays are for after all! Happy New Year my friend!
    • Posted: January 3, 2018 04:39

😊 I still get a kick out of seeing it flip flop around like that. Happy New Year to you too Mary ❤️
  • Posted: January 2, 2018 16:36

Julia - Vintage with Laces

This is so cool, Michelle! I have to make one of these wallets. Thank you very much for sharing this fun project! Have a wonderful, healthy, happy and creative 2018 with lots of repurposing and upcycling fun! :) xo Julia
    • Posted: January 3, 2018 04:36