Quick and Easy Cat Proof Pom Pom Christmas Tree

We have a problem. Traditional Christmas trees just don’t last in a house with 4 purr babies. I love them to bits, but as soon as they see tinsel and baubles some little gremlin inside takes over and it’s meowdness. And our purr babies always win. So we tend to go for trees that are cat proof. Last year we made a tin can succulent tree and this year we decided to make a pom pom Christmas tree. And I love how it turned out.

A quick and easy cat proof pom pom Christmas tree. I love how pretty it looks when it lights up at night.  Christmas tree alternative ideas to make yourself #DIYChristmasTree #AlternativeChristmasTree

The inspiration for the pom pom tree came from a very dear friend of mine who blogs over at Vintage Southern Picks. She made a beautiful little shabby chic tree by gluing vintage lace, tulle and bridal trim to a tube. It’s stunning!! Since my glue gun has given up the ghost I had to try figure out another way to make our tree.  To be honest I think one of our purr babies attacked our glue gun. There are little teeth marks all over the place. They were probably just trying to protect their mommy from the vicious wire snake or something 😉

What You Need to Make a Cat Proof Pom Pom Christmas Tree

• Some Cardboard
  • Empty Paper Towel Roll
  • Bits of Tulle, Lace, Ribbons
  • Battery Powered String Lights
  • Scissors and Craft Glue
  • A Slice of Wood

Ready to make some pom poms?  I don’t have a pom pom maker so I still do it the old fashioned way.

How To Make a Traditional Pom Pom

Take some cardboard and draw and cut out two large circles. Draw a smaller circle in the center of each circle. The space between the big circle and the little one inside will determine how big and fluffy your pom pom will be. Don’t make the inside circle to small though, otherwise it becomes difficult to get the tulle and ribbons through. Cut a V-shaped slit from the big circle to the small one and then cut out the smaller circle. Place the two cardboard bits together.

Start wrapping the tulle, ribbons and lace around the bits. The more you add the fluffier your pom poms will be.

When you’r happy and the cardboard bits are nice and full, push your scissors between the two cardboard discs and cut all the way around. Sharp scissors will make it much easier.

Make sure that the cut pieces don’t fall out of the hole. Put a long piece of ribbon between the two cardboard discs and around the pom pom bits.

Tie the ribbon up as tight as possible and remove the cardboard circles.

That’s it, you’re done. If the pom pom looks untidy, give it a trim until you’re happy with the shape. If you want extra fluffy pom poms, hold them over boiling water for a while. They go like puffy and pretty 😀

You need to make ten pom poms for the cat proof Christmas tree: four small (8 cm or 3 1/4″ diameter), three medium  (11 cm or 4 1/4″ diameter) and three large ones  (13 cm or 5″ diameter).

Assembling The Cat Proof Christmas Tree

Grab those string lights and wrap them around the the empty paper towel holder. Not all the way around, just the portion where the pom poms will go. Using the long piece of ribbon, tie the pom poms to the paper towel holder, starting at the top with the three small pom poms, then the three medium sized ones and lastly the three biggest ones at the bottom.

Squish the last small pom pom into the top of the paper towel holder to finish of the tree and then glue the bottom of the pom pom tree to a slice of wood. You could also use a pretty plate.

To decorate the pom pom Christmas tree I just used a string of faux pearls and added a little wooden star to the top. But you could use anything that’s not a purr baby magnet. And it’s probably a good idea not to have any dangling bits 😉

And it looks so pretty when you switch the lights on.

Check meow out. Love the lights

Please let me know what you think of our cat proof pom pom Christmas tree. Do you also decorate around your purr babies? Oh and don’t forget to pin it if you like it.

Pinny Please

Oh before I forget, if you don’t want to go to the trouble of finding some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us feed our purr babies 😉

12pcs Faux Fox Fur Fluffy Pompom Ball For Hat Shoes Scarve Bag Charms Keychain
ANJAYLIA LED Fairy String Lights, 10Ft/3M 30leds Firefly String Lights Garden Home Party Wedding Festival Decorations Crafting Battery Operated Lights(Warm White)
Walnut Hollow Basswood Country Round, Extra Large for Woodburning, Home Décor and Rustic Weddings

Until next time. Hope you have a beautiful, love filled week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: May 10, 2018 19:04

AweSomeMom

So cute! How do you make it flare out?
    • Posted: May 11, 2018 06:31

Thank you, it's the different sized pompoms that make it flare out like that
  • Posted: January 21, 2018 18:46

Shirley

This is so precious! I need to try this one! Thanks for sharing!
    • Posted: January 22, 2018 06:44

• Posted: December 26, 2017 04:24

Oyinkan

Decorating the tree is one of my fave parts of Christmas. Always great for those w/pets to grind something that's pet proof lol
    • Posted: December 26, 2017 04:34

I used to love decorating the Christmas tree too until our fur babies tried to help out 😀
  • Posted: December 20, 2017 15:34

Handan

I love how easily you made those pompoms. And that tree - oh my - turned out gorgeous!
    • Posted: December 21, 2017 07:29

Thanks so much Handan 💕
  • Posted: December 19, 2017 14:53

Florence @ VintageSouthernPicks

Michelle! Love the little pom pom tree, and thanks for the shout-out! Would you believe I've just now had a minute to sit down and read this? Been so busy lately, as we all have with Christmas doings. So surprised to see you gave me a mention and I so appreciate it. Now your tree! So lovely! A new twist! My cats are so busy trying to stay away from big dog Leo, they're not too tempted by decorations right now, thankfully. I love the new twist on pom poms...are they made with tulle? Love the addition of the lights around the paper towel roll too. Definitely pinning.
    • Posted: December 20, 2017 08:23

It's a pleasure Florence. I sooooo loved your beautiful Christmas tree when I saw it. And thank goodness for Leo, although I do hope the purr babies get used to him so they can all be part of the family together
  • Posted: December 18, 2017 01:10

Nikki Gwin

So cute! And girly!! I can see this done is all sorts of colors. I love it. :) gwingal
    • Posted: December 18, 2017 14:39

• Posted: December 17, 2017 06:27

This little tree is so feminine and pretty. I need to make one hopefully this year. I am pinning it in case I have to wait until next year. I love how girly it is and such a nice touch adding the pearls.
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 12:35

Thank you Leanna, I so appreciate that
  • Posted: December 16, 2017 16:28

Love this tree and its name! It's so girly and pretty! Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 04:29

Merry Christmas to you too my friend 😉
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 19:30

Stephanie

Pom pom girl haha I love this. What perfect way to still keep to a trend and style your own version of Christmas tree. I need to try this tonight :) thanks for sharing girly
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:29

It's a pleasure Stephanie 🙂 let me know how yours turns out
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 17:44

britney

Very Cute idea, very pretty. I am not much of a DIY craftsy person (in this sense) but I definitely admire those people who can create these fun and unique things.
    • Posted: December 16, 2017 07:51

Thanks so much Britney
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 15:02

Candy Rachelle

Wow! This is such smart idea and beautifully presented too. Cats will always be cats no matter what holidays you are celebrating, so this is really cool.
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 12:38

LOL, that's so true Candy, but I wouldn't give them up for anything.
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 14:59

I love your do it yourself projects and this pom-pom Christmas tree is probably the cutest of all. You really are so creative. Great job.
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 12:43

• Posted: December 13, 2017 14:18

Nicole F

This is so pretty!!! I love the pom Pom idea! I usually don’t do a lot of Christmas decorations but this would be cute to add in the center of a dining room table or mantle!
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:39

It would look lovely as part of a center piece Nicole, great idea
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 12:20

Tiffany Yong

This is so cute! I like this pom pom Christmas tree as you can use them right after Christmas... What's more, people can use different coloured pom pom (or the body wash pom pom) to make coloured Christmas tree!
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 13:59

Hey that's a really cool idea Tiffany 🙂
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 12:00

So pretty and girly!!! I would keep it all the year to decorate my vanity table :) The tulle pom poms look so elegant!
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:38

You could make a pink one my friend 🙂 to go with all the other beautiful things you've been making
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 11:47

Ellie Plummer

That tree is so adorable and I love the star wreath. I love reading your DIY posts.
    • Posted: December 16, 2017 07:51

• Posted: December 13, 2017 10:30

gigi

This is soooo beautiful! I love it! I think I might have to make this even tho we are Jewish! Its so gorgeous!
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:33

Thanks so much Gigi 🙂
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 09:22

corinne & kirsty

The little Christmas tree is so pretty! So princess like! And so creative too! I don't have a cat in london (nor a christmas tree for that matter) though 🙂 but I could defo do this!
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:37

Ahhhhh that's sad, every one needs a purr baby to cuddle up to when they come home from work but I'm sure glad you like the tree
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 06:15

Samantha

This is too cute! The white Pom Poms and pearls make it elegant and classy. I’m so glad my cat doesn’t cause havoc on Christmas decorations.
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:31

You're so lucky Sam. One day you need to tell me how you "trained" your purr baby to leave the decorations alone
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 02:01

Hi Michelle, this Christmas tree is really beautiful and unique artwork, I love the white colour. And interestingly, it looks easy to make.
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:25

Thanks so much my friend, this one is super easy to make
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 00:26

Jessica

This is really beautiful! And I agree with the comment about how lovely this would look on a mantle. And while I don’t have any cats, I have some toddlers who might actually leave a tree like this alone. 😉
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:26

Thank you Jessica, they probably are toddler proof but we don't have to many of those running around for me to be sure 😉
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 00:01

Ariel

This is seriously the cutest little tree ever. I love the idea, even though I do not have a cat. I am definitely thinking about making one.
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:32

Thanks so much Ariel, let me know how yours turns out
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 22:12

Diana

We struggle to keep our cat away from the Christmas tree, but we'are lucky this season she did not pull it down yet. But your Christmas tree is sooo cute and stylish that I think I might do one as well!
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:34

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun making it Diana and here's hoping your purr baby stays away from the tree - at least until after Christmas
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 20:45

Quirky Homemaker

Your pom-pom Christmas tree turned out adorable! Our 8 foot tree has gone down more than once because our cat was climbing it. She broke the base one year & my hubby made a new base. Now it leans!
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:27

LOL, they really are little devils when it comes to Christmas trees. We gave up a loooong time ago
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 17:48

Ithfifi

Oh. My. Word. I absolutely adore this! Just when I think your creations couldn't look any more amazing! I have no Christmas tree for my room but now I want this one! How do you think of these things?! The execution is always perfect. I'd love to try this but I know it would probably look like a year old had too much unsupervised fun! Simply gorgeous!
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:29

I just know you'll be able to make it Ithi and knowing how incredibly talented you are I can just picture you painting the smallest little ornaments for it too 🙂
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 17:37

Jess

This is such an unique twist to a Christmas tree! I'm pretty jealous over here with the classy and chic touch! I never even considered using tulle! Plus, your photography for the DIY is fantastic!
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:34

Thanks so much Jess 🙂
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 16:30

I don't know how purr proof this is Michelle. If I were a cat I'd go straight for it. But it is still beautiful. Those tulle pom poms were pure genius as is adding the lights on the inside. Just make sure to put is on a table so it will stay safe. It it is far too lovely to have any harm come to it.
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 05:31

🙂 Thank goodness you're not a cat my friend. Our purr babies have pretty much left it alone since we made it but I have seen the youngest one eyeing it out. I bet he's planning something devious 🙂
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 15:08

Marnie

What a great idea! The tree looks very chic! I would set aside one afternoon to recreate this project, even if i dont have fur-babies! :)
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:35

Thank you Marnie 🙂 I found it quite relaxing making the pom poms so it should be a good afternoon
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:49

Agnes Vazhure

This is such an awesome and super cute Christmas tree. I wish I'd seen it earlier so I could have made one. I will recommend this to my niece for there Christmas tree project, they don't have one yet.
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 12:37

Thank you so much Agnes. If you get a chance let me know if your niece makes one.
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:33

Cia Black

What a beautiful and simple creation. I can see this working on a mantel, an array of size in front of a large window or even pieces in a rustic christmas wedding.
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:57

You're right Cia, they would look awesome as table decor for a rustic Christmas wedding and because they're so easy to make you can get all the bridesmaids involved over a glass of wine and help make them.
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 11:24

Uwe

Looks great! You did a great job. many greetings Uwe
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:52

• Posted: December 12, 2017 11:23

Claire

Cute! Love the design and love its base too - looks like it would fit so well in my living room!
    • Posted: December 18, 2017 14:39

Thanks so much Claire 😊
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 09:24

Maria

I wish I saw this earlier... I bought a little small tree yesterday! Had I seen this prior I would have made it for sure! It's just so pretty :)
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:55

Ahhhh that's a pity Maria. Maybe next year
  • Posted: December 12, 2017 05:54

Julia - Vintage with Laces

This tree is so pretty, Michelle! It's great that you found a way to have a tree that is no temptation for the kitties. It would work for our adult cats but I'm not so sure it would be Cosmo-proofed. At his age almost everything seems to be play-worthy. When we make tea we have to watch our mugs, otherwise he grabs the little tags and pulls until the tea bags come out, LOL. Thank you for your kind comment on my little sweater ornaments! I thought the small stitching would be difficult on the T-Shirt material and I had my doubts that it would work well. I used a stretch needle and rather thick embroidery lining. The fusible web between the layers probably helped also. I was amazed that it worked so much better than I had expected.
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:53

I was sooooo impressed with those beautiful little sweaters and the scarf Julia. So perfect
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 23:08

Oh Michelle this little pompom tree is soooo cute! I use to make pompoms when I was younger, just because it was fun. But never ever thought of turning them into a tree. It's so beautiful and fluffy. How did you ever figure out to hold them over boiling water to make them fluffy. Did you give your purrbabies a big hug for saving you from that vicious wire snake? :)
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 14:54

I'll give them a BIG hug from you Linda 🙂
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 23:03

Alicia Taylor

This is simply elegant! I have 5 cats myself. My cats would go after the beads, for sure. I'd have to put it up high, but I've got just the place.
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 06:25

I was a little worried about the beads too but they seem to be okay with them on the pom pom tree. Well for now anyway 🙂
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 22:41

Kendra W.

That is cute! I don't even have a cat but I would use this in my office as part of the decor.
    • Posted: December 14, 2017 06:36

It would look really neat in an office too, thanks Kendra
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 19:52

You are so clever, this is gorgeous Michelle! I love how it glows in the dark and of course I love the white pompoms! Amazing project!
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 06:28

Thanks so much Katrin. I'm super happy with how the string lights show through the pom poms.
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 19:36

Chique chica

I’m just not clear on why this is cat-proof. Did you spray it with scratch-off?
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 04:11

Nope, no scratch off just pom poms that don't tempt our purr babies like baubles and tinsel would 🙂
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 18:40

Michelle, this is such a lovely Christmas tree and great idea to make one that is cat proof. It's such a beautiful tree!!
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 06:29

Thanks so much Keri. We're always trying to find new purr baby proof trees 🙂
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 17:10

Naomi Destiny

Gosh, this is so beautiful! I love how creative and flexible you are towards doing this. I hope to recreate this Christmas tree during this season. It's just so cute!
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 12:38

• Posted: December 11, 2017 15:22

Joanna

I am so lucky that my cats were never tempted by the Christmas Tree. For some reason they have never tried to take it down or jump in it. Your idea of creating a cat proof tree is adorable! And who knew that you can reuse in such a nice way the empty tubes of toilet paper. The tree is adorable, I love the white!
    • Posted: December 11, 2017 16:26

Ahhh you need to tell me your secret Joanna. Ours are little monsters when it comes to a Christmas tree. I can actually see them having secret meetings in the bedroom to plan their strategy 😀
  • Posted: December 11, 2017 13:37

That is the cutest Christmas Tree ever. I like that it is white too ... Your DIYs are always so well presented with easy step-by-step instructions. I would assume stopping to take pictures at each step would be quite tedious but you do it so well. :)
    • Posted: December 11, 2017 14:32

Thanks for that Tanvi, I struggled a lot in the beginning to remember to take photos, but now it's almost second nature 🙂