Knitting Up a Little Planter for our Tillandsias

Hey there, how are you doing? It’s been a strange week here. The temperatures have yo-yo’ed between sweltering and freezing, which is very unusual for this time of the year. We don’t know if we should get our winter coats out of storage or put a bikini on 😀 Even our garden is saying “what the fudge!!?” So we spent the weekend doing some preventative maintenance just in case. Tender new shoots got little blankets of their own and it seems our Tillandsias have made a whole bunch of pups, which need a new home.

Such an interesting idea. Knitting a little planter for Tillandsias #AirPlant #Planters #gardenideas

Tilly and her pups

Tillandsias or “Air Plants” are fascinating little things. They do all their feeding through their leaves rather than their roots and they can grow on almost anything. From rocks and seashells to scraps of wood, even forks. As long as the wood hasn’t been pressure treated. As luck would have it, the theme for this month’s Int’l Bloggers Club is “wood”. Perfect timing right!! Every last Monday of the month a few bloggers from all over the world get together and do something based on a  theme or a challenge. Last month we all had to take flatlays to show case our countries. It was really difficult. I struggled, alot. But wood…. I can do wood 😉

Such an interesting idea. Knitting a little planter for Tillandsias

How to Make a Knitted Planter

I wasn’t 100% sure what this piece of scrap wood had been stained with so we sanded it down and used a heat gun to bring out that beautiful grain, before sealing the wood with a non-toxic outdoor sealer.

Such an interesting idea. Knitting a little planter for Tillandsias

There are many different ways to attached Tillandsias to wood. Soft wire, elastic stretch cord or glue. We normally use E6000 because its waterproof and non-toxic to plants, but I wanted to try something a little different this time. So instead of gluing the Tillies on I used natural jute twine to loosley knit three rectangles, which were gathered at the bottom to form small pockets.

The pockets need to be “loose” to allow for proper airflow. Tillies don’t like feeling smothered.

Such an interesting idea. Knitting a little planter for Tillandsias

I used a paper template to figure out where to drill some hole so I could sew the pockets onto the piece of wood.

Such an interesting idea. Knitting a little planter for Tillandsias

Adding the Air Plants

Once all the pockets had been sewn on they were filled with a tiny bit of coconut fibre and the Tillandsia pups. The coconut fibre helped “anchor” the Tillies until they get a litle bigger. It should encourage them to grow some roots too.

Tillies thrive in bright indirect light and don’t mind a few hours of direct sun in the morning or afternoon. We’ve hung ours outside on a western wall that gets early morning sun and dappled shade for the rest of the day.

I don’t know about you, but I’m loving the look.

We’ll watch our pups for the next few weeks and if the weather carries on being temperamental we’ll probably bring them inside for a bit. Just until they’re settled.

Let me know what you think of the knitted planter. Is it something that you would make for your Tillandsias? Oh and if you’d like to make your own and your not sure where to get the supplies, I found these on Amazon. Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us create more crafty magic 😉

Sale Darice Bamboo Knitting Needles 7, 9, 10, 12 (1171-75)
5 Large Ionantha Tillandsia Air Plant Pack - Each 2 to 3.5 Inches Long - Live Tropical House Plants for Home Decor - Indoor Terrarium Air Plants
Just Artifacts Eco Metallic Bakers Twine 55yd 11 Ply Solid Gold - Decorative Bakers Twine for DIY Crafts and Gift Wrapping

So I’m off to see what the my blogging friends have done with their wood challenge. Care to join me? Their links should be down there.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Int'l Bloggers Club, Party Time, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: December 11, 2017 19:58

Adil Shezad

It is so beautiful, love the way you knitted the cool pocket for the plant. I really love knitting. Great job, admire the pictures. Reply
    • Posted: December 12, 2017 04:08

Thanks so much Adil
  • Posted: November 9, 2017 16:53

Post by post I discover your creativity! It is amazing the way you combine matterials, the way you "build" something! I am allways surprised how you think of your constructions... I just love your knitting planters
    • Posted: November 10, 2017 15:01

Thanks so very, very much my friend <3
  • Posted: November 5, 2017 00:19

Jas @All that's Jas

What an interesting plant and, of course, only you can build a perfect housing for it. Amazing, Michelle!
    • Posted: November 6, 2017 04:31

🙂 Thank you Jas 🙂
  • Posted: November 4, 2017 18:40

Amy

The weather has been fickle where I live as well. This week, temperatures are well above normal. It doesn't feel like fall at all. I love your planter, and I'm super impressed with your knitting skills. Those little planter pockets are adorable! It looks great! I hope your pups do well in their new home. :)
    • Posted: November 6, 2017 04:31

Thanks so much Amy, it looks like the pups are real happy with there new home 🙂
  • Posted: November 2, 2017 22:13

I just realized we have Tillandsias at home! We call them Air Plants and we have them hooked on a wire but your planter is lovely, love how you burned the wood to show the grain. Yours are fortunate plants!
    • Posted: November 3, 2017 14:47

Thanks so much Pili. Have yours flowered yet?
  • Posted: November 2, 2017 10:47

I haven't knitted in years but I think I can do this. What an adorable idea. I love the texture. This will probably work for orchid also.
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:59

What a great idea, I'm sure it would they grow in similar conditions. Thanks for the idea Debra
  • Posted: November 2, 2017 03:31

Florence @ VintageSouthernPicks

Those are so cute! I didn't realize they were air plants until you said so, then I recognized them. Love that they gather nutrients through their leaves, & love that they take root anywhere. They look so nice and settled on your board. I agree that the weather is a little crazy here too.
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:55

🙂 I hope they do settle in nicely, they've only been in there for a bout two weeks, but they seem really happy
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 20:41

Wow!! I think this is the best DIY I have ever seen. Perfect for wall decorating in our garage. You are so creative and talented to make this one of a kind tillandsias planters. So impressive.
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 13:00

Thanks so much Elizabeth 😊
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 19:38

Angela Ricardo Bethea

Wow!! You have a creative and brilliant idea. This tillandsias planter looks so gorgeous and unique. Perfect for your garden. I think I need to try some DIY like this. I am looking forward to that.
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 13:00

Oh I hope you do Angela. DIY'ing is so much fun
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 16:09

Julia - Vintage with Laces

What a fabulous idea, Michelle! I love the rustic, natural look. It's so beautiful! xo Julia
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:56

Thanks so much Julia 😊
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 14:59

Michelle, fantastic idea to knit holders for the tillies! I love how this all turned out, it's beautiful and rustic and just so awesome!! I hope the weather gets evened out soon. :)
    • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:57

Me too Keri, me too 🙂
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 12:45

Candy Rachelle

Wow! This diy tillandsia planter looks so creative and awesome. I really want this for my garden. It's a perfect hanging plant.
    • Posted: November 3, 2017 14:46

Thanks so much Candy
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 12:42

Amy

Ahh so cute! I wouldn't have thought of this. What a cool fusion of macromet (can't spell which is funny cause I'm a writer... shh don't tell anyone haha) and I am not even sure what - wood?! lol
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 14:17

LOL Amy, I struggle with that word too 🙂
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 12:42

Ellie Plummer

They are so cute, what a great idea! Do they last in the rain?
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 14:16

They do 🙂 In the wild they grow on trees so they love being outside. They just need a little spritz of water once or twice a week if it's dry and hot
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 09:09

Nina

Wow knitting something like that is so cool. I would never think to knit a plant holder. What a great idea! I love how you really walk us through the process.
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 09:53

Thanks so much Nina, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 08:03

katie

These are such a cute idea for an indoor planter. This would make a great gift idea too!
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 09:55

They do make lovely gifts 🙂
  • Posted: November 1, 2017 04:20

Samantha

The weather has been crazy here too, Michelle. Typically, we'd have fall temperatures in September. The last few years, I can wear shorts & flip flops in October. I've been keeping shorts, capris, & jeans where I can easily get to them! 🤣 This project is so cute! A good way to do the wood challenge & protect your plants. 😁
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 04:47

Isn't it weird how the weather has changed so much lately but it's a good idea to keep some of those cross seasonal cloths in the wardrobe just in case. I'm real glad you liked the knitted planter Samantha though, thanks for that
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 23:27

Angie ~ Ambient Wares

You can knit too!? What can't you do, Michelle? These planters are incredible
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 04:48

LOL Angie, there's a lot I can't do....like cooking and crocheting.... 🤣
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 22:41

What a cute idea to knit the little planters and I love air plants, now I need some too! I love the look and it´s such a unique project, I don´t think I´ve ever seen anything like this!
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 04:48

Thanks so much Katrin, they are really special plants
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 20:19

Ithfifi

If I am honest I don't know an awful lot about plants.. I had no idea about air plants. Once again you've gone and created something that looks perfect and like it would cost a bomb to buy in a fancy garden center! I am always inspired by your creativity!
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 04:49

Thanks sooooooo much Ithfifi 😀
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 20:02

The temperatures have been yo-yo'ing here as well ... but I think fall is here in full swing and the winter is just around the corner. BUT ... let's talk about this knit+planter. I think I want it. It is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time. Although all my plants die, but if I had this I would try harder to keep them alive :D
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 07:44

Yeah, it seems like the weather is a bit strange all over the world right now. Thanks so much for your lovely comment Tanvi, you're so sweet
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 18:12

amer

I'm impressed by your talent. That's so creative, I don't know if I can do that myself. I love it though.
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 09:56

Ahhhh Amer, thank you 😀
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 17:45

Stephanie Jeannot

That has to be the most creative project I have seen yet. Good thing to keep you from unraveling. I need to get creative like this with crocheting. Wow!
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 05:10

Thanks so much Stephanie, I really wish I could crochet though. That's something I've never earnt how to do
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 16:32

I didn't know the air plants are called Tillandsias! I love what you did with them wow. What a great idea. I would love to create one too! The knitted pockets are everything!
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 05:11

Thanks so much Carolann 😀
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 15:59

Preet

This is so beautiful, love the way you have knitted the cool pocket for the plant. I love knitting, learned it from my grandmother. Great job, love the pictures.
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 05:11

Thanks so much Preet, my gran taught me how to knit too 😀
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 15:22

Shubhada Bhide

Wow, this is very beautiful. Such a cute and smart idea. I'm not good in planting, but I would love to try this too, I love that plants.
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 15:46

Isn't it just the most awesome little plant ever. Thanks so much Shubhada
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 14:26

nikki frank-hamilton

Michelle, I love the look of this planter. And the tillandsias or so pretty against the jute and wood. So cool. This would be a perfect planter for a small area, or for on the side of a cupboard near our kitchen window. You are so creative. Pinning to make one for our home. BTW, I think you nailed the flatlay, but you definitely nailed this wood project!
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 15:49

Awwwww Nikki, thank you. You always make my day with your comments. Tillies love being in kitchens where there's good light. I think they enjoy the cooking steam. They would never survive in our kitchen though, not much cooking happens here 😀
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 11:25

jossy

omg! Thats like so pretty, I think I should do the same thing. Thanks for sharing this
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 13:08

Thanks so much Jossy 😀
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 10:24

corinne & kirsty

Oh this is so cute! I am loving the idea! I am in the process of buying my flat right now and this would make such fab decor!
    • Posted: November 1, 2017 12:22

You're so right, it's perfect for bringing a little greenery into a small space. Good luck with your new flat BTW. That's always so much fun
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 05:34

Alicia Taylor

How cute is this! I wish I knew how to knit. I've tried to learn, but never got the hang of it. You did a great job - and that wood you chose does have a nice grain.
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 07:21

Thank you Alicia. Knitting I can do but I sure wish I knew how to crochet. That's something I would love to be able to do
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 02:35

Mia

What a beauty, Michelle! I love your great knitted pockets for the plants! Kisses, my friend. And something else: You are not late for my birthday candy. There will be two more draws! If you want to participate, please visit my blog again and leave a comment under the post "Birthday candy". There is also a picture on the top of my sidebar. I will be glad if you decide to participate. Kisses, my friend.
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 04:47

Thanks so much Mia, I was worried that I'd missed your birthday in October. Hope you have a great week xoxoxox
  • Posted: October 31, 2017 00:44

Hi, Michele, I can't believe, that you had used jute twine to knit those small pockets for your plants. This DIY project is awesome dear. After reading your post, now I know about these Tillandsia pups, I am not good in gardening or plants :) :)
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 04:20

Thanks so much Sadhna 😀 I'll make you a deal. I'll teach you the little I know about plants if you can teach me how to make those delicious dishes of yours
  • Posted: October 30, 2017 23:28

Marie

My inner boho came out with this one! How cool is that, knit pockets sewn onto wood - brilliant! Pinned
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 04:18

Ahhhh now it all makes sense. It's that inner boho of yours that makes you create all your special pieces Marie 😀
  • Posted: October 30, 2017 18:13

Deborah

Okay LOVE those little air plants first. And this is just adorable!!!! I really need to learn to knit! Ill be pinning this for sure!! Oh, and we have had unusual temps here too so our bulbs are coming out trying to figure out what season it is :)
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 04:11

It seems the weather is really crazy all over the world right now and those poor bulbs should be sleeping right now. Hopefully things will return to normal soon. Hope you have a happy week Deborah 🙂
  • Posted: October 30, 2017 17:28

Michelle these are so precious. The fact that they grow from the leaves and not the roots. You did a wonderful job in creating a special home just for them. They will feel loved and thrive even if the weather is acting all crazy.
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 04:15

Aren't they just the most amazing little plants and their flowers are so unusual too. I'm hoping they like their new home. We have a few more pups that need to be rehoused, but I'm working on that one 🙂
  • Posted: October 30, 2017 14:48

Love your knitted pockets for your Tillandsia pups. I have never had one before but have always thought they were cool plants. Really like how you burn the wood to bring out the wood grains. Super cute!
    • Posted: October 30, 2017 14:54

Thanks so much Linda. Tillies are so rewarding and they make the most unusual flowers. They're part of the bromeliad family and as soon as the flower dies they start making their babies. Hopefully these babies will make some pups of their own by next year
      • Posted: November 1, 2017 18:26

I didn't even know that they flowered. I guess I'm going to have to go get me one. 😊
        • Posted: November 2, 2017 12:56

They do an the flowers are this gorgeous combination of red and purple on a long spikey kinda of stalk. Very unusual 🙂