When You Can’t Find a Wine Barrel Top Make Your Own

I keep on seeing the most beautiful things from Pottery Barn popping up in my Pinterest feed. Like their wine barrel top tray. Ahhh man it’s so pretty. Unfortunately they don’t ship to South Africa. In fact we can’t even get into their web site to steal with our eyes. It’s blocked for some strange reason. All I can see is a big fat blank screen with tiny letters saying “*file not found*”. Thank goodness I’ve still got Pinterest. Well if I can’t buy one, then I’ll just have to make it instead.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

It’s a little more rustic than the beauty they have for sale. But I’m kinda okay with that, since it used to be a broken table in a previous lifetime.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

We picked this table up, along with a whole bunch of other crap awesome stuff,for an absolute bargain. Yup, besides the table and other bits and bobs, we got a whole boot load of the most amazing pieces of solid wood, including Rhodesian Teak and Meranti. All that stuff for the astronomical sum of R100. That’s not even $10 😀

You guys I'm in woody heaven right nowClick To Tweet

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. On to the wine barrel top tray.

How to Make a Wine Barrel Top

Using a screw driver, hammer and pliers we dismantled the table.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

It was actually surprisingly easy to take apart, given how much glue whoever built the table used. I measured the width of all the slats to figure out how big the tray could be and then drew a circle on a piece of hardboard (HDF), using the highly scientific pen and string method. It works everytime 😉

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

The slats were glued and screwed onto the hardboard circle and left over night to dry. It makes it so much easier afterwards to cut the slats with a jig saw and you don’t have to join them together.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

I sanded my not so perfectly round circle lightly to bring out that beautiful weathered grain. For the sides of the wine barrel I used the table off cuts. Fortunately, Mother Nature had already done all the hard work for me and they were beautifully curved from lying outside,

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

All I had to worry about was how to stain the cut bits to match the other weathered pieces. Oh well, there’s nothing that oil paint thinned down with a bit of turps  won’t cure.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

It’s getting there, but I still needed to figure out how to make the wine barrel hoop. Is that what it’s called? The metal brace thingies that go around the barrels?

Adding the Wine Barrel Factor

Anyhows, it had me stumped for a bit until I remembered the metal tension bracing strips we used to make the pallet headboard. They would work after some rustifications. The easiest way to rustify something is throw it in a hot fire for a bit.

RUSTIFICATIONS (verb): The act of throwing metal into a fire to rust quicklyClick To Tweet

Once they cool down completely, those bracing strips were wrapped around the wine barrel tray tightly and screwed on every few inches.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

And obviously, no wine barrel top tray would look complete without some signage, courtesy of The Graphics Fairy.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

After another light sanding to distress the signage a bit, the sides bits were glued onto the tray and then the metal bracing strip was screwed in to hold everthing together. To protect the tray I gave it two coats of a clear sealant. What do you think? Can I give up my day job and become a maker of stuff for Pottery Barn 😉

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

I’m loving the way the sealant added a rich lustre to the weathered wood and that rustification on the bracing strips.

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

And to think the wooden barrel top tray started out as a poor forgotten table in someone’s woodpile.

If you like the idea of making your own wine barrel top, don’t forget to pin it for later

Pinny Please!!

How to make a wine barrel top tray from scratch

Have you brought home broken wooden bits to make something new? Please share in the comments, I’d love to hear about it.

Oh before I forget, if you don’t want to go to the trouble of finding some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more crafty ideas to share with you 😉

Sale Simpson Strong Tie WB126C 11ft. 4-3/4 in. Wall Bracing Coil 12-per box
Rust-Oleum 260368 Ultimate Wood Stain, Half Pint, Sunbleached
Piazza Pisano Wine Barrel Personalized Carved Lazy Susan 16 inch

As always here’s wishing you a beautifully creative week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: February 1, 2018 05:29

Rhonda L

Wow, how cool is that!!! Great job!
    • Posted: February 1, 2018 05:53

• Posted: January 21, 2018 20:11

Shirley

Ok wow I have so much to say! I think we might have the same creative minds. I have one I am working on in the garage that is very similar to yours but winter hit and I had to stop for a while as I have no heat in my detached garage. By the way, yours is awesome and totally Pottery Barn worthy! In fact, I think yours is even better! Of course I always think mine are too but that’s another subject...lol! Just wondering...you said you couldn’t get on the PB website...did you know that if you go to the search on Pinterest and type in Pottery Barn that everything they sell is there? Ok let’s hope you can see it but it is there I promise! You work like I do too, hoard things u til there is a definite project for it. My husband is totally not a fan of all my stuff but when he sees things I make he loves them. So hopefully one day all the stuff won’t bother him so much. I try to follow the rule “out of sight, out of mind” and it does help some with him. My biggest problem is in Sept. my daughter and 2 grandchildren had to move back in. Well I had to move a lot of thing to fit them in and hubby was going belistic over all the stuff sitting around. It’s slowly finding a space and I hope to be done soon.
    • Posted: January 22, 2018 06:43

Ahhhh Shirley, you just totally made my day. It must be lovely to have your daughter and granbabies with you, even though you had to give up some creative space. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had some kind of "beam me up Scotty" machine so we get together and chat about hubbies and hoarding. We could have so much fun. I suspect I'll be stuck on Pinterest all day if I go through all the beautiful things from Pottery Barn. It's so strange that they've blocked their website for South Africa, but they must have their reasons. Thank you for taking the time to share a little piece of your life with me, I truly appreciate it so incredibly much 💕
      • Posted: March 16, 2018 12:22

Shirley

Oh, I was just browsing through some things and came across your comment that I hadn’t seen before. I am at mcgypsy9@aol.com and we can talk there or through Facebook if you have that. I just bought a new 60” round table and already want to take the legs off of it and put on a different base. The top is wood slats that have been super sealed almost to the point of looking plastic. I like it for easy cleaning and it looks nice too so I will keep it! The legs are 4 separate legs and the chairs don’t go under it properly and it drives me crazy! LOL Everyone loves it though and said it fits better in there which is why I purchased it in the first place. The other was a rectangle and took up too much space. Hubby just got a large bonus check and told me to do my living room...yeahhhhh!! I have almost everything I need for it but now I will get the help I need to put it together! I have had some major health issues for the last 3 years which has finally come to almost a screeching halt. A pain that was causing more and more pain each day. My primary dr. Should have been able to diagnose this but didn’t. It took another dr. I go to for pain management (this is not something that he should have looked at but he took it under his wing) and he told me some things to try and within 4 days it worked! Praise God! I seriously thought I was going to die but now I am almost 100% good. The simple things that can cause so much drama and stress...I just couldn’t believe it was that easy. Anyway...didn’t mean to bite your ear off, I’m just so excited and relieved about it. I hadn’t been able to do any crafting, woodworking or even do the dishes for a very long time and now I can and it’s just so nice. I can’t wait to get back to woodworking. I just love it! But I also love interior and exterior design. I have made a lot of things for my home and was going in one direction and then I changed directions (for my living room) and now I have things I won’t be using so I will just have to sell them. I made a rustic coffee table and I love it so much but it won’t be right so instead of getting rid of it I’m going to paint it so it will still work with my design. This particular piece, the tray, will be made into a lazy Susan for my dining table. It isn’t formal like I’ve always had but I needed something that everyone was comfortable at. We had our first family meal there last night and it was nice to see and talk to everyone...they all commented on how nice that was as well. We should exchange pictures of our projects. I think we would probably enjoy each other’s work. I must run for now so take care and keep crafting!
        • Posted: March 17, 2018 05:32

Wow Shirley, I'm really glad you finally got the pain sorted out. Such a pity your doctor didn't diagnose it properly in the first place. 3 years is a long time to suffer like that. Isn't it just so wonderful to be pain free again and to do all the things you want to do. I would love to connect with you on Facebook and see all the lovely projects you're working on. Your hubby sounds like an absolute darling too. What a lovely thing to do, it's always so much fun when you can redecorate a whole room like that. Stay safe and enjoy doing all those things you've missed so much
  • Posted: December 13, 2017 11:40

Greg Navage

Awesome idea, and very well done, guys! Great job!
    • Posted: December 13, 2017 13:52

• Posted: October 25, 2017 15:35

This is awesome Michelle!!!! You could definitely create products for Pottery Barn or any company you would like. You have so much creative talent!!! This is an awesome tray and I hope you and your husband enjoy using it! :)
    • Posted: October 25, 2017 15:51

Ahhhh my friend, thank you so much. This one is going down to our little house by the sea
  • Posted: October 24, 2017 04:56

Oh Michelle! What you have done again! It is rustic and it is so beautiful! It is perfect for displaying everything appetizers or decoration items! You can make everything with your hands!!!
    • Posted: October 24, 2017 08:01

🤣 Awww Christina, thank you so very much. I'm super happy with how this one turned out
  • Posted: October 20, 2017 23:07

Oyinkan Ogunleye

Love love love! I love DIY. The only thing I would have done differently is paint it. I love to create.
    • Posted: October 21, 2017 05:05

Thanks so much Oyinkan. I was considering that, but with the lovely naturally aged grain of the wood it just seemed wrong to paint it some how 🙂
      • Posted: January 31, 2018 14:09

Anonymous

Natural wood stained with a nice shellac sealant is the only way to go ... Painting it a color would not look good. Natural is so much more pretty.. Thank you Michelle.
        • Posted: January 31, 2018 14:23

I agree Anon, some pieces of wood have such a beautiful story to tell and we shouldn't hide it under paint. Thank you for your lovely comment, I really appreciate it so much
  • Posted: October 20, 2017 05:42

This is beautiful Michelle, its very well done even with the little mishap. Love the tones you chose for it.
    • Posted: October 20, 2017 09:56

Thank you so much Leanna 🙂 One day I'll conquer that jig saw
  • Posted: October 18, 2017 19:13

Claire

Wow this DIY is so gorgeous and lovely! It really makes the vase/flower look more beautiful! I think you can even sell it! haha
    • Posted: October 19, 2017 14:42

Thanks so much Claire
  • Posted: October 18, 2017 18:17

OMG, this is amazing woodwork, Michelle, are so creative. I wish I have that tray. I am so glad I found you through Way wow group, now I am learning so many things through your blog.
    • Posted: October 19, 2017 14:44

Likewise Sadhna 🙂 I have tasted the most delicious Indian dishes just coz I get to share your recipes with our favorite resturant and they cook it for me.
  • Posted: October 18, 2017 16:43

Wow!! You really impressed me in your DIY wine barrel tray. This is very expensive when you buy in the store but you did an alternative one. You are very creative. Good job!!
    • Posted: October 19, 2017 14:45

Thanks so much Elizabeth 🙂
  • Posted: October 18, 2017 14:23

Candy Rachelle

Oh my goodness, you did an AMAZING job!!! God knows I've always wished I were good with wood! I would have SO MANY incredible pieces!!! Awesome job!!!
    • Posted: October 18, 2017 16:09

Thanks Candy, I love wood to bits 🙂 Everytime I pick up a piece there's this little story inside. So fascinating
  • Posted: October 18, 2017 10:20

Shubhada Bhide

This wine barrel top tray looks so awesome. You are very creative to do this. If you buy this in any store it is very expensive.
    • Posted: October 18, 2017 10:48

You're right Shubhada they are expensive. Thank goodness we found that old table top
  • Posted: October 18, 2017 07:13

Katie

So pretty! This would be an amazing living room focal point or gift idea. Such a creative concept too!
    • Posted: October 18, 2017 09:54

Thanks so much for that Katie
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 19:01

Courtney Blacher

That's great idea, and result is absolutely amazing! I need to try this out, hope it turns out this pretty.
    • Posted: October 18, 2017 09:53

I'm sure it will Courtney 🙂
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 16:49

Ithfifi

Mix this is incredible!! I am absolutely in awe! It's odd that you can't get onto Pottery Barn's website but maybe its also a blessing in a way. The beginning picture to the end result was incredible to see. I swear I want to come over and see all you beautiful creations! Also the design you did on the center of the tray.. blimey. I would have guessed that was some sort of professional stamping or print that was done on the original wood. Immense love for this!
    • Posted: October 18, 2017 09:52

Where's my blush emoticon when I need it. Thank you so very much Ithfifi. Our door will always be open for you 🙂
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 14:18

Your creativity never disappoints. I can tell this took a lot of work and attention to detail. It is a special kind people who can dedicate time to doing DIYs and doing them SO WELL! The tray looks better than the one I have seen at Pottery Barn! Trust me :)
    • Posted: October 18, 2017 09:51

🙂 Oh yay I'm so glad to hear that Tanvi. Thanks so much for your lovely comment
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 11:41

Aditi

Love your DIY spirit and really admire your gorgeous creations! I think Pottery Barn will be fortunate to have you both! ;)
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 11:52

😀 Wouldn't that be so much fun, thanks so much Aditi
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 10:33

Amy

Oh, I love, love, love this tray! It's gorgeous, and looks amazing with the white flowers on it. I love the stenciling/signage that you always add. It gives it just the right touch. Perfect!
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 11:52

Awwww Amy thank you my friend. I really appreciate that
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 06:33

Ching

I loved your quotes to share on Twitter; is rustification really a word haha? I use the word beautification so I'm going with it! :) This is such a charming piece. Wood always has such a classy feel to me. Forget Pottery Barn, you're doing a way better job! !
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 08:04

LOL Ching, thanks so much. I'm not sure if it's a real word, but we use it lots at home 🙂
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 06:30

Samantha

This is really cute! You did an excellent job. I really like the writing on it. You would never know that it didn't come from Pottery Barn. :)
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 08:05

Oh yay, I'm so glad to her that. Thanks Samantha
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 01:32

Florence @ VintageSouthernPicks

Michelle, you've worked your magic again! The tray looks awesome, and I love the "rustification" factor. The graphics fairy image is perfect with it too, completing that tray. I love it! Love rustic...that's my thing.
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:41

Rustic, time worn is my thing too. There's just something about a piece that looks like it's been around for a bit that makes my heart smile. It's kinda like looking in the mirror 😉
  • Posted: October 17, 2017 01:26

Amy Dong

This is amazing creative! I LOVE that table tray. I never even thought of using a wine barrel for a tray; probably haven't peeked at Pottery Barn mags lately ;) I'm always in awe of how people can create such beautiful things out of seemingly throwaway items. Love it.
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:36

Ooooooo you get the PB magazine? I'm so jealous Amy. Don't you want to send some of the old ones over this way 😉
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 21:17

Wow Michelle your wine barrel top tray is beautiful. But that doesn't surprise me. I think that yours looks better than any Pottery Barn tray. I love how you added the rusty band around the tray, and the pretty graphic. Beautiful!
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:31

Thanks sooooo much Linda 😀
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 19:22

amanda

You are so creative! I love the idea so much, I'm currently stocking up a load of DIY ideas as we are in the process of buying our first home. Can not wait to get started
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:30

Congrats on your almost first home Amanda, that's so exciting. Wishing you many, many happy hours decorating, renovating and DIY'ing
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 18:32

This is truly beautiful Michelle. The wood was the perfect candidate for this and the rusty metal just adds to the charm. I think you can totally give up your day job!
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:27

Heeee Haaaaaa, won't that be awesome. I can make stuff all day long instead of doing the laptop butt workout 😀
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 18:28

Oh screw PB, who cares, I love love love yours and it´s so so so unique and beautiful! You just amaze me every time!
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:26

LOL Katrin 😀 thanks so much for that
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 16:59

Jeannee Taylor

Mix, I love this! It's really beautiful and fabulous! Jeannee
    • Posted: October 17, 2017 04:26

Thanks so much Jeannee 😀
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 16:39

DeeDee

WOW! I love this! Thanks for sharing with us! :)
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 16:47

Thanks so much DeeDee 🙂
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 16:21

Katerina Konstantinou

I love this! Ok pallets I can find but a barrel to no! Thanks for the awesome diy!
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 16:25

Yeah pallets and broken tables are easy, but those wine barrels. No ways, they're so scarse and expensive
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 15:23

Love this! I love anything made of wood and this is a beauty! This would look stunning as a centerpiece for any table.
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 15:36

I agree Carolann, there's just something so special about wood that's been aged by nature. Nothing compares
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 14:26

Cia Black

This is such a money saver, Barrel tops are rather expensive , this is such a great alternative, one that can be customized to you liking a well.
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 14:31

Thanks so much Cia. I couldn't believe the price people charge for them.
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 14:18

Julia - Vintage with Laces

This is fantastic, Michelle! I just checked out the one from PB and I like yours so much better. It's got more rustic charm and I love that you added a graphic. Your tray is very beautiful and you saved a lot of money too! I see you had a cute furry helper. :) Have a great week!
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 14:29

Ahhhh our little Cleo. She loves inspecting things and I'm convinced if she had fingers she's be grabbong a paint brush or saw and helping with our DIY stuff 😀
  • Posted: October 16, 2017 13:05

Angie ~ Ambient Wares

Gorgeous, Michelle! I had to laugh about the jigsaw. I have no idea how anyone can get a nice curvature :D Love how you reused so many goodies and turned them into such a beautiful and functional piece. Forget Pottery Barn, I want your tray
    • Posted: October 16, 2017 13:54

Whoop, whoop, thanks for that Angie and I think that jig saw and I need to have a chat sometime. I've got to try figure out how to cut a perfect circle 😀