Get Into The Spirit of Halloween and Make a Fairy Graveyard

We’re not big into Halloween here in South Africa. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’ because it’s not safe to walk around after dark anymore. Or we have too many other real life scary things to worry about. I really wish we could get into the spirit of things though. I love dressing up and there’s just something about the whole idea that appeals to me. Trick or treating seems like a great way to get to know your neighbors 😉 It reminds me of the good old days when it was okay to go next door and get some sugar when you ran out. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve met all our closest neighbors and we all look out for each other. I’m sure they won’t mind giving me some sugar if I ask nicely. But it didn’t happen overnight. We’ve become so used to living behind our security fences that it takes a while before we feel safe enough to connect with others. Whatever trick or treating happens here is normally on a small scale so we decided to make ourselves this little fairy graveyard.

A quick and easy fairy graveyard that will instantly get you into the spirit of Halloween. And best of all, the moon shines at night #halloween #halloweendecorations

It’s got grave stones and skeletons and spider webs and even a moon that lights up when the sun goes down. I can’t tell how many times I’ve done a double take in the middle of the night seeing that moon 😉 It adds that extra creepy factor. And the whole fairy graveyard took us less than an hour to make.

What You Need to Make a Fairy Graveyard

If you’d like to make something similar all you need is:

• Steel wool
  • Small skeletons
  • Black and grey paint
  • A ping-pong ball and solar lights
  • Dried moss or coconut fiber and floral foam
  • Balsa wood or thick cardboard and some texture paste or plaster of Paris
  • Dried twigs and a suitable container. We used a large calabash or gourd, a big plastic pumpkin would also work.

Some supplies

The calabash we used already had a large hole cut on the side, so we didn’t have to do much to prepare it for the graveyard other than spray the inside black. If you can’t find one that’s already been cut, don’t worry. Just drill a pilot hole and then used a small saw to cut an opening. And if you’re using a plastic pumpkin, you can do the same thing. Line the inside with florist foam and cover with moss or coconut fiber.

Florist foam and coconut fiber

Time To Start Making All The Bits That Go Inside

For the grave stones we cut the balsa wood into grave stone shapes and slapped on loads of plaster of Paris to give it some texture. You can do the same thing using glue and some fine sand and texture paste works too. Grab a stamp set, if you have them, and squish it into the plaster of Paris while it’s still wet to mimic an epitaph. Or write you own using a toothpick. Once everything is dry dab on some grey paint.

Balsa wood and plaster of Paris gravestones

A spooky graveyard wouldn’t be complete without a few spider webs 😉 One of the easiest ways to make realistic looking webs is to use steel wool. Gently pull it apart and drape the bits of steel on a dry twig.

Steel wool spider webs

Now for my favorite part – making the moon. We cut a small hole in the ping pong ball using a craft knife and then inserted the solar lights. I used a crayon and smudged it on the ball so it looked kinda like the craters on the moon.

Making the moon

Did you know there are 28 craters on the moon and they’re all named after women scientists? How’s that for an interesting bit of trivia 😀 Anyhows, our calabash had this big split on the one side so we could simply slide the solar panel wires into the slit and glue the moon on. You may need to cut a small slit in yours.

A ping pong ball moon

Our skeletons had these weird red eyes so I used a Sharpie to change them to black. I didn’t want no zombie skeletons in our fairy graveyard 😀

Hello baby

Sorry it’s corny, I know, but I just had to say it. We listen to this radio station called Mix FM and one of the DJ’s always tells the corniest jokes. I’m blaming it on him 😉

Not so scary skeletons

The dude on the left showing the I love you hand sign is probably my favorite.

He seems so friendly. Then again they all seem pretty chilled. What do you think?

Pinny Please!!

And if you’re looking to make something similar, I’ve got you covered 😉 Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and our fairies will send some fairy dust your way too 😉

144 Beer Pong Balls - Washable Plastic
Sale XZP 5M 50LED Outdoor Christmas Fairy Lights Cool White Warm White Copper Wire LED Starry Lights Fairy LED String Light Decoration DC 12V (Color : Cool White)
Sale Basket Shaped Coco Fiber Replacement Liners 10 inch (3pk)
Mr. Bones Skeleton,Yeahii Movable Human Model Skull Full Body Mini Figure Toy Halloween

So do you have any big plans for Halloween or is it just another day in your corner of the world? I’d love to hear about it and as always wishing you a very blessed week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Fairy Garden Crafts

Comments

• Posted: August 16, 2018 15:03

Nikki Gwin

Michelle, I don't know how I missed this, but OMG! so cute!! You have the BEST ideas! :) gwingal
    • Posted: August 17, 2018 05:18

Thanks so much Nikki 😍
  • Posted: October 20, 2017 05:19

In Canada Halloween is bigger than ever, followed immediately by Christmas. I believe we do it to distract ourselves from the long dark nights and the onset of cold. The state of the world is really sad. The Canada I grew up in certainly doesn't exist anymore. I love this fairy graveyard and will be pinning and sharing it. Very well done.
    • Posted: October 20, 2017 09:57

Thanks so much for the pin Leanna. Isn't it sad that our kids can't play in the streets like we used to
  • Posted: October 12, 2017 05:11

Amber

This is such a fabulous idea! I love that you are still enjoying Halloween even on a small scale! I would love for you to link up over at the Hauntingly Beautiful Decor Halloween Link Party! https://followtheyellowbrickhome.com/category/hauntingly-beautiful-decor-halloween-linky-party/
    • Posted: October 12, 2017 08:16

Thanks so much Amber for your kind words and for the invite. I'd love to link up ;-)
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 06:57

Julia - Vintage with Laces

This is such a fun creation, Michelle! The skeletons seem to have a good time and they look so much better with black eye-sockets. I love the illuminated moon. That's such a great detail!
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 15:45

Thanks so much Julia. That moon is sooo my favorite thing about the little graveyard
  • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:40

Hahaha is this scary??? Nooooo.... is this addorable??? Sure it is!!!! I loved it ... the most cute Halloween decoration I have ever seen!
    • Posted: October 10, 2017 04:51

LOL, Christina :-) I'm so glad to hear that, thank you
  • Posted: October 9, 2017 15:04

Marie-The Interior Frugalista

This is just the most creative and adorable Halloween decoration! Love that it's even illuminated at night! Michelle, your awesome graveyard is my feature this week at the Talk Of The Town Party. See you Tuesday evening!
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 15:35

Whoop, whoop, yay!!! Awwwwwww Marie, thank you so very much. You just made my evening
  • Posted: October 8, 2017 18:09

It seems so odd to say this is cute because it is supposed to be spooky. It actually looks magical. My area is safe for trick or treaters. So much so that families that don't live here come to trick or treat.
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 04:40

LOL, you're right Debra. It's so lovely to hear that there are still safe areas out there for kids just to be kids
  • Posted: October 8, 2017 17:18

Wow, very creative fairy graveyard, good for the Halloween theme. Have a nice Halloween, my grandkids love it when they dress up and go for trick or treat with a big bag to collect the sweets. :)
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 10:19

It must be so fun planning the costumes and decorating outside for Halloween. Wish we could do it here
  • Posted: October 8, 2017 15:20

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

Michelle, that is the cutest thing! I didn't know steel wool was good for making spider webs. I'll have to remember that. Nor did I know the craters on the moon were named for women scientists! I love trivia. You did a great job with this! Love the ping pong ball moon!
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 10:20

Steel wool works beautifully for miniature spider webs. We've even used it to make miniature Spanish Moss too ;-) Thanks so much for your lovely comment too Florence. I really appreciate it
  • Posted: October 8, 2017 11:29

Michelle, this is a fun fairy graveyard. The skeleton with the love you hand is too funny. Another fun project!
    • Posted: October 9, 2017 04:40

Thanks Keri, that little skeleton is my favorite too 🙂
  • Posted: October 6, 2017 19:24

So you can also make cool fairy graveyards right? I have never asked myself if fairies die but now I know. I am sorry to hear it’s not safe for you to go out at night, that is something I love about Spain and we take it for granted
    • Posted: October 7, 2017 05:30

It is sad, but it seems it's not safe in a lot of countries anymore. I'm glad to hear that Spain isn't one of them Pili.
  • Posted: October 6, 2017 16:13

Claire

Love your little Halloween scene. The grave stones with plaster of Paris on top of balsa wood is very clever. It's a shame you don't feel safe at night where you live.
    • Posted: October 7, 2017 05:42

Thanks so much Claire, and yeah it is a pity that we don't feel safe at night anymore. The world's a scary place sometimes
  • Posted: October 5, 2017 19:18

Mia

Wow Michelle!!!!! So funny, so original, so creative!!!!!! What a great idea, my friend.
    • Posted: October 7, 2017 05:42

Thanks so much Mia xoxoxox
  • Posted: October 5, 2017 02:14

Nicole flint

Awww this is so fun and so cute! Very creative. I usually don’t decorate my house for Halloween. I’m not sure why though.
    • Posted: October 5, 2017 06:16

Thanks so much Nicole
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 17:40

Joanna

What an amazing idea! I would love to do this for Halloween but unfortunately I won't be celebrating this year because I am traveling. I love the little skeletons coming out from the ground and the moon that lights up. It's definitely scary if you put it in the window in the evening :)
    • Posted: October 5, 2017 06:18

🙂 Thanks Joanna. That little moon does make all the difference. Enjoy your travels and stay safe
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 14:39

Michelle this is way too adorable to be scary! They look like they are having a party. I'm really looking forward to celebrating this year and I hope you also have a great Halloween!
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 15:50

Bwahahhaaahhha, you're right Mary. A big fat party under the full moon. They're even dancing on the ceiling ;-)
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 14:38

Candy Rachelle

This is sooo cute!!! My daughter is into the fairy thing. Hopefully she doesn't find anything like this. I have enough to do already!!! LoLoL
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 15:53

😀 LOL Candy, good luck
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 14:04

nikki frank-hamilton

Michelle, this is so flippin cool! I love every bit of it. Who knew you could use steel wool to make spider webs! I always find new tidbits of info when I stop here, that's one thing that I love about your site. The graveyard is so awesome. I love the moon and the skeleton with the "I love you" hand sign is my favorite too!
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 14:11

*Insert HUGE smiley face right here* Thanks so much Nikki
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 08:50

Gemma jamieson

Halloween in the UK is not good anymore. Hardly any kids go trick or treating. Not so much because it's dangerous to walk around but because sweets or £1 isn't enough for them any more. The UK has lost is spirit. I love the idea of making your own decorations it really gets you in the mood for Halloween. Hope you have a good one!
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 11:23

Oh dear, that seems to take all the fun out of it. Kids of today :D Hope you have a good one too Gemma
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 07:55

Tiffany Yong

Halloween started getting bigger about 6-7 years ago in Singapore, but I still do have friends who don't celebrate them as they find it scary... I stop celebrating the festive for the past 2 years though~
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 08:00

Same here Tiffany. The last few years there's been an upsurge in Halloween parties but the kids don't really do any treat or treating and many people find the whole concept really scary and it goes against their belief systems
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 06:56

Samantha

I love Halloween! I love this! It's so cute & a different spin on Halloween decorations (or at least the ones I have). I think making the skeleton eyes black make it look better.
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 07:34

I know right!!? Those red zombie eyes just didn't do it for me ;-) Thanks so much Sam
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 03:21

Amy

This is perfect for Halloween! I love the light up moon! (And who knew that all the craters were named after women?!?) I also love the steel wool on the trees. It makes perfect spiderwebs! Great job!
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 06:05

The moon is my favorite too Amy. I'm so glad it worked out. I just wish I could capture it properly, it's so freaky
  • Posted: October 4, 2017 01:54

Kiwi

This is actually pretty innovative. I dont like it being a fairy graveyard because I think they are so cute...how about a miniature graveyard?
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 06:06

Good point Kiwi, miniature graveyard would probably have been a better description coz we love our fairies too
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 21:34

Debbie-Dabble

OMG!!!!! Totally LOVE love this!! So cute!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!! Pinned!!! Hugs, Debbie
    • Posted: October 4, 2017 06:06

Ahhh Debbie, thank you.
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 14:43

Stephanie Jeannot

I used to decorate because I thought it would draw trick or treaters. But I’ve never decorated like this. Very creative idea.
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 14:54

Thanks so much Stephanie. We never get trick or treaters unfortunately. It's not safe for kids to be outside after dark so this is our little contribution to Halloween decor
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 12:52

Cia Black

Super cute to spook up something that is normally soft and dainty. This is very creative. We have a small fairy garden perhaps I can get my daughters to agree to spook it up for halloween
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 13:54

Thanks so much Cia, I hope they agree
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 12:00

You are one creative chick! I love this so much, Michelle, how do you come up with these amazing ideas! I´d love to go trick or treating here, but it´s not a thing either, although this year I will decorate a bit at least, cause my girls like it. You´d love Spain, here you can´t get your neighbours out of your house, lol, they ring your bell at all times, hahaha. Enjoy your Halloween, would love to ring on your door!!
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 12:31

😀 I'd love to have neighbours like that Katrin. Growing up here, that's what I remember but it's changed so much in the last few years. And you don't even have to ring our doorbell, just walk right in
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 11:51

Can I just say that those skeletons look quite cute and I have never said that about skeletons :D - I am not big on Halloween. I just keep some candy in the house for the kids who ring the bell but I thoroughly enjoy walking about the neighborhood and see the decorations. Your DIYs continue to blog my mind <3
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 12:32

LOL, I don't believe I've said that about skeletons either Tanvi, thanks a mil 😀
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 11:48

Ithfifi

Ah, Mix, I just love this! You are so creative! We don't celebrate Halloween much here (UK) or at least not while I was growning up but its becoming more popular with the kids. This is such a cool idea, I love the skeleton giving the devil sign.. or is it rock and roll? The whole creation looks truly awesome! The solar light was also such a clever idea!
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 12:33

;-) Thank you Ithfifi, the hand sign I was trying to go for was actually the deaf sign for I Love You. I just couldn't get his little thumb to stick out properly.
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 11:26

Thena

So much fun and spooky! My girls would love this so much!
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 12:34

• Posted: October 3, 2017 10:10

This is so cute Michelle! Halloween is still big here, but instead of going house to house now a lot of people choose to take their children to church for trunk trick or treat. Because people are getting so mean and evil putting things like razor blades, needles, drugs in candy. I remember when my girls were small we would go through their candy before they could eat any. As for us we have to go to bed so early we just turn our lights out so we don't get any visitors.
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 11:19

Oh no really!!! How can someone do that? That's just crazy scary Linda.
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 08:40

Megan

It's true what you say! South Africa isn't that big on halloween, however we are slowly easing into it. I'll definitely be trying this out but with a big plastic pumpkin!
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 08:46

One of those big plastic pumpkins would work great and they're really easy to cut too. Let me know how yours turns out Megan
  • Posted: October 3, 2017 08:07

Linda

This is so creative, I think Halloween in the whole of Africa isn't celebrated because many people would think it's witchcraft, lol. I'm in Kenya, and if I even dared to dress up myself and my baby in any funny costume I'd be taken to church to be prayed for! But I really love your creation, it's really spooky!
    • Posted: October 3, 2017 08:43

:D That's so true Linda. I think in many of the rural areas here the same would happen. Sadly we still hear stories of people being stoned or burnt alive by the community, if they think they're witches. So dressing up as one would be a very bad idea.