The Secret Language of Herbs and a IBC Basket Challenge

In the days before technology took over the world there was a secret language spoken only with fragrant herbs and flowers. So, when my friends from the Int’l Bloggers decided that this month’s challenge would be baskets, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to go back in time and send them a message using a talking bouquet and the basket would be the carrier 😉

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

A talking bouquet

It felt like I would be cheating if I just used a boring basket without doing something with it first. This is the Int’l Bloggers Club Basket challenge after all. A while back, a friend of mine gave me a paper covered balloon that she’d been meaning to turn into a hot air balloon for her twins. She’d seen the Steampunk Balloon I’d made and wanted something similar. (Ek skies maaitjie, ek het hom gesteel want ek het ander planne vir die twins).

I used some twine to create a net to cover the balloon. I struggled a bit to figure out how to do it, so I won’t bore you with those details. Suffice to say, I finally figured it out. All you need is 16 long strips of twine. Knot them all together and stick them into the very top of the balloon using a pin. Separate out the strands. I found it easiest to split them into groups of four so they would be evenly spaced. Then I split those groups of four into two, before knotting the alternating bits together and sticking each knot into the balloon in with a pin.

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

Making the net

To hide the knot, I glued a broken metal thingy on.

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

Disguising the knot

The basket got a quick update with some spray paint to match the look of the broken metal thingy. Now I needed to try come up with a plan to suspend the balloon over the basket. Skewers to the rescue. They were just squished into the sides of the basket and the balloon rests nicely in between them..

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

Skewers suspend the balloon

I added hessian, a plastic bag, which was cut to the right size and an oasis to the inside of the basket and started “writing” my message using the secret language of herbs and flowers 😉

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

Some burlap and foam

Now the basket was finally ready for the secret message 😀

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

The secret language of flowers and herbs

A Secret Message In A Basket

Want to know what is says? There’s a little bit of  parsley for gratitude. I’m the newest member of the Int’l Bloggers Club and these wonderful ladies found me drifting aimlessly in the blogging cosmos last year and took me under their wing. Thank you Mary, Katrin, Keri and sweet Pili for reaching out and making someone from waaayyyyyy down South part of your tribe. Four yellow roses to celebrate the joy and happiness their friendship brings. Lots of lavender for good luck and prosperity. May your pockets be heavy and your hearts always light. And finally, a few sprigs of rosemary for remembrance. I certainly will never forget their kindness and support. You ladies are the best.

Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

I wish my basket was bigger so I could fit more words inside. I would have loved to add Irish moss and mint and a Forget-me-not or two 😉 There are so many different herbs and flowers to choose from and they all convey a different message. Use the secret language of herbs and flowers to tell someone how you feel.

Which ones would you use? Let me know in the comments or, better yet, send me a secret message 😉 Now I’m off to see what my friends from the Int’l Blogger’s Club have done with their baskets. Their links should be down there. Want to join me?

Categories:   Int'l Bloggers Club, Party Time, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: September 5, 2017 22:49

Shawna

Oh wow I wish I could be as creative like that (I'm too anxious lol). This is such a beautiful project you made with a such an awesome tribute to your ladies!! I love it!
    • Posted: September 10, 2017 04:46

Thank you Shawna, they're a very special group of friends
  • Posted: September 3, 2017 00:54

Michelle, I love the idea that messages were sent using flowers and herbs, it's so enchanting and beautiful isn't it? I wish we still used the language of flowers. Well I love what you did with the basket challenge! It looks wonderful and it's so super sweet!! We love having you be part of the tribe!!! We're truly blessed by your friendship!!!! :)
    • Posted: September 4, 2017 05:56

:D Thank you Keri. If I could make a bouquet just for you it would be filled with apple blossoms for “promise”, azaleas for "abundance" and some yarrow for "good health”. Congrats on your awesome news, I can't wait to meet the new addition to the family
  • Posted: September 2, 2017 07:37

Thank you so much for being you and be part of our little tribe, and thanks for this sweet post and your kind comments. Your basket reminds me of an ancient hot air balloon with flowers as passengers. I didn't know the language of all those flowers, thanks for sharing them.
    • Posted: September 4, 2017 06:07

Thank you sweet Pili. This month's challenge was loads of fun and I enjoyed trying to find the right flowers to send you all a message. Hope you have a very happy, busy week
  • Posted: September 2, 2017 00:14

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

The balloon looks like parchment paper. This is a great way to make a craft with a basket and a sweet and thoughtful way to thank friends! I love the concept of using the herbs and flowers. I didn't realize they had so many different meanings!
    • Posted: September 2, 2017 06:06

It's the most fascinating thing to read up about. There are tons of different combinations you could use to send a secret message. Some people even include little nots to make sure that the message is interpreted correctly.
  • Posted: September 1, 2017 22:30

This is absolutely lovely. Your tribe is made up of a very special group. I love knowing the secret language of plants. Now if only I could grow them.
    • Posted: September 2, 2017 06:04

Thanks so much Debra and I'm so lucky to be a part of the Int'l Bloggers Club. They've been incredibly supportive and helped so much
  • Posted: September 1, 2017 20:26

Steve

This is such a unique and cool idea. I've really never seen anything like this. I'm really impressed with it 😮
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 15:00

• Posted: September 1, 2017 19:37

Tiffany Yong

This brown 'hot-air' balloon is gorgeous and brilliant. I'm glad you've put in effort for this International Blogger's Club Challenge~
    • Posted: September 19, 2017 05:24

The ladies in the Int'l Bloggers Club are really special, thanks Tiffany :D
  • Posted: September 1, 2017 18:08

Maya

What a fantastic project Michelle! I have a soft spot for air balloons and this is the cutest I've seen! Love the re-use!
    • Posted: September 4, 2017 06:18

You and me both Maya. There's just something about a hot air balloon that's so cool. Maybe one day I'll get to go up in a real one. The views must be amazing
  • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:58

Oh gosh, this is so stunning! I love twine/jute. I'm working on another project as we speak with some jute. You are always so creative and I just love your work!
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 15:02

Ahhh Carolann, I really appreciate that. I'll come visit your blog again soon to see what you're up to
  • Posted: August 31, 2017 09:24

Natalie

Oh this is beautiful! I love seeing original ways of being creative, you've got a real talent here.
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:50

• Posted: August 30, 2017 14:00

Tiffany

What a super fun project! I would love to do something like this with my Kiddies. I always knew flowers had meanings but had no idea how many different ones there are. Very cool indeed!
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:51

I bet the kids will have loads of fun using flowers and herbs to create secret messages Tiffany. Let me know what they come up with
  • Posted: August 30, 2017 08:04

So sweet!!!! The language of the herbs!!! But I still insist that your imagination is something that always surprise me!!! Excellent job once more my sweet Michelle
    • Posted: August 30, 2017 14:25

• Posted: August 30, 2017 03:17

Chei Pangan

Wow! This is so unique. I know a white rose means a sincerity. I didn't know there was lots of meaning of this basket.
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:52

• Posted: August 30, 2017 02:22

Martine - MeUnfinished

This is a very creative way to showcase those herbs and flowers! I got some pretty good tips to get my own juices flowing, thank you and it's beautiful!
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:55

Thank you Martine, I'm glad those juices started flowing ;-)
  • Posted: August 30, 2017 01:44

amanda

A. Great basket! How creative and fun. Love the step-by-step. B. I recall reading about herbs and their meanings many years ago - love revisiting it.
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:57

A. Thank you Amanda ;-) B. It's such a fun language to learn, I'll be sending lots of little baskets to the special people in my life
  • Posted: August 30, 2017 00:21

Mia

Love the basket, Michelle, and the beautiful balloon!
    • Posted: August 30, 2017 14:25

• Posted: August 29, 2017 18:46

Oh Michelle your herb basket is beautiful. I love the rustic looking balloon, it's goes perfect with your herb basket. Thank you for sharing about the secret language of flowers and herbs.
    • Posted: August 30, 2017 14:25

Thank you so much Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed learning about the secret language
  • Posted: August 29, 2017 16:52

gigi

I love knowing the meanings behind all the flowers.
    • Posted: August 30, 2017 14:24

It's quite cool and with all the flowers and herbs out there, the messages are endless
  • Posted: August 29, 2017 13:45

Nikki

Michelle, this is so cool. The herbs and the planter! Who doesn't love a hot air balloon? And this one looks old and rustic, just perfect! I am always so impressed with your mind and creativity, inspiring.
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 14:35

Thank you Nikki :D That means a lot coming from you
  • Posted: August 29, 2017 07:04

Debbie-Dabble

What a lovely basket!! Beautiful post!! Thanks so much for stopping by and for all your kind words and encouragement!! It is greatly appreciated!! Hugs, Deb
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:33

Aww Debbie, thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoyed the post
  • Posted: August 29, 2017 06:48

Samantha

This is a really unique idea! If I were to make one, I'd give it to my aunt whose son just passed away unexpectedly on Sunday night. I'd include Forget-Me-Not, Daisies, Calendula, & maybe some red roses.
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:34

Oh Samantha, I'm so sorry to hear that. Losing a child must be the worst thing in the world. Sending lots of love to your Aunt in this very difficult time
  • Posted: August 29, 2017 05:22

Ressa

That is seriously one of the most gorgeous herb baskets I've seen! Such a great summer DIY, too! Thanks so much for sharing that neat creation!
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:40

• Posted: August 28, 2017 21:21

jin

Oh what an interesting post! I love how you made that beautiful basket, but you took it one step further to add even more meaning to the entire project. I'm truly captivated by the poetry you've created with the basket and florals. Bravo!
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:40

What a lovely thing to say Jin, thank you so much
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 20:46

Tanvi

This is so thoughtful and creative. This weekend I took a class on Herbs 101 and I learned something new and now on a Monday I learn their secret language. I am sending you beautiful fragrant vibes too. <3
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:35

• Posted: August 28, 2017 20:42

April J

Love hot air balloons, the fact that you added flowers and twine makes me to happy haha. Beautiful work!
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:59

Thanks so much April, one day I'll get to go up in a real hot air balloon. I love them too
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 20:22

Nick

Michelle I was totally clueless about the language of herbs and flowers prior to your blog post. I usually just follow my instincts when it comes to flowers but this is a great reference that I'll be using in the future. Thank You!
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:39

Following your instincts is a great way to do it Nick and I'm glad you found the post useful.
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 20:20

Brigette

That is so stinkin awesome! I love that idea! Yellow roses are my favorite roses! You did such an amazing job putting these together :)
    • Posted: September 1, 2017 14:59

:D Thank you Brigette. Yellow rose always remind me on sunshine and they make me happy too
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 16:38

Wow, this is an awesome project of the basket with such a lovely balloon. Thanks for showing me the language of herbs, I didn't know. You know every time I visit your blog, I learn something new. I am lucky to meet you in the journey of blogging. I really love this basket with the hidden msg.
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:36

Thank you my friend. I'm always inspired when I pop over to Herbs and Spices. All your dishes are so delectable
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 16:36

Marie

This is such a beautiful, heart felt, and touching tribute to your blogging tribe, Michelle! I pinned the hot air balloon in my Gift Ideas Board and the Secret Language Graphic to my Gardening Board. If I could send you a Thank You tribute from my garden for always being so supportive of my work, it would be filled with blue bells, crocus' and rosemary (those are the only things on the list that I can successfully grow).
    • Posted: August 29, 2017 09:37

Thank you for the double pin Marie and for the lovely secret message. Blue bells, crocus and rosemary would all look stunning together
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 15:20

That is such a sweet post Michelle. Thank you so much for thinking of us, you have enriched our little group so, so much. And your balloon project is so sweet. It would make the perfect gift for a friend. I had no idea that herbs had a secret language. One thing for sure, we have plenty of chamomile here.
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 15:29

Chamomile sends such a lovely message Mary and with so many things happening in everyone's lives you'll be able to use it over and over again. And I meant every single word that's captured in that basket. You ladies are so special.
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 15:01

Ana Vukosavljevic

This is such a great idea! I saved this post, I didn't know there was a secret language of plants and flowers. It's so good to know it now :D Thank you for learning me something new! Sending lots of love, Ana P. S. I would send you a lot of gardenias and lavanders!
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 15:31

Thank you Ana for all the happy, thoughtful wishes. Sending love and hugs right back at you xoxoxox
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 14:25

Kelley

Your hot air balloon style basket is so darn cute! I would have never thought of that.
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 14:44

Thank you Kelley. I needed to up the basket factor for the challenge and it was the perfect opportunity to tell the other ladies how special they are
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 14:10

Paola

Absolutely beautiful, so creative! and thanks for the secret language of plants and flowers....I was completely clueless about this!
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 14:16

Isn't it just such a lovely way to send someone a message and they get to see and smell all those beautiful herbs and flowers at the same time.
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 11:49

Angie ~ Ambient Wares

This is so beautiful and a great acknowledgment to those who impacted you! I'd send you some hydrangeas and lilacs :) A big thank you for for always bringing joy and happiness in your comments!
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 12:16

:D Thank you Angie :D and thank you for your lovely secret message
  • Posted: August 28, 2017 08:36

Aw you made me tear up Michelle, Thank you for your sweet message! Your herb basket is beautiful and original as all of your creations! I adore the idea and how you´ve re-used the balloon, it´s just so sweet! Now here´s my flower bouquet for you: A hole bunch of pink roses with some forget-me-not´s, plenty of rosemary and just enough lavender!
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 12:18

Ahhh I didn't meant for you to tear up Katrin, you guys have meant the world to my blogging journey. I've learnt so much from you <3