See How To Verre Eglomise With Unicorn Spit

Have you heard of the decorative art technique of Verre Eglomise? Apparently it dates back to the 13th century and according to Wikipedia, the French term Verre Eglomise refers to the process of applying both a design and gilding onto the back of glass to produce a mirror like finish. When you combine it with Unicorn SPiT, it creates the most beautiful effect.

Come see how to use the decorative art technique of Verre Eglomise and combine it with Unicorn SPiT

The ancient art of Verre Eglomise and Unicorn SPiT

That’s my humble attempt at Verre Eglomise and it was surprisingly easy to do. I’ve never used Unicorn SPiT on glass before. I do know that it works like a charm on wood and material though, and I’ve being dying to try it. Especially after seeing all the beautiful things some of the other talented SPiTTers have been doing. Anyhows, because this was one of those playing around, experiment kinda things, there was just no ways I was going to spend a ton of money. Luckily, we had one of those el cheapo clocks and a plastic doily in our craft stash that were just perfect.

Come see how to use the decorative art technique of Verre Églomisé and combined it with Unicorn SPiT

A Cheap Clock and Doily

How To Verre Eglomise With Unicorn Spit

After dismantling the clock we gave the glass a good clean with newspaper and watered down vinegar, before using the doily as a stencil.

A Light Coat of Spray Paint

The design on the doily was quite fussy, so I took a plastic lid to mask off the center bit. When spraying the doily, I used a very light touch, so the design would come out blotchy and hazy rather than perfect. I think it adds a nice touch to the final look.

Vague and Blotchy

Once the paint was dry, I applied a coat of clear Mod Podge. Unicorn SPiT tends to peel off of the glass if it’s not treated first. If you don’t have any SPiT, acrylic paints will also work. Using a combination of White Ming, Zia Teal and  Weathered Daydream I just dabbed bits of color on to the back of the glass, being careful to leave some gaps between the colors.

White Ming and Zia Teal

When everything was dry, copper leaf was applied to the outer edges of the glass. Copper leaf is really, really thin sheets of copper and you should be able to find it in most craft shops. It comes in a pack of between 10 and 25 sheets. To apply the copper leaf, spray the area with a little tacky glue and gently brush on the leaf with a good quality brush. I had to keep flipping the glass over to make sure it looked okay. It was a bit disconcerting to work on the back of the glass, you’re kinda layering everything in reverse 😀

Life is lived forward but judged in reverse - Salman RushdieClick To Tweet

Once I had the look I was going for, I sprayed the back of the glass with mirror effects from Rustoleum. Krylon sells something similar, but it’s hard to find here in South Africa.

Copper Leaf and Mirror Effect

And that’s it. The Verre Eglomise with Unicorn Spit experiment was done. The piece of glass went back into the original plastic frame, that got a quick makeover with some spray paint.

Come see how to use the decorative art technique of Verre Eglomise and combined it with Unicorn SPiT

Full tutorial on how to use the decorative art technique of Verre Eglomise and combine it with Unicorn SPiT

And the colors in the mirror change depending on how the light catches the copper leaf behind the glass.

Pinny Please

I think I’m ready to go all out now and try the technique on a BIG piece of glass. A good friend of mine makes the most beautiful custom stencils. I’m sure Keri from Repurposing Junkie will be able to come up with a design for me.  What do you think? Have you experimented with anything interesting lately? I’d love to hear how it turned out.

As always sending lots of love and hope you have a stupendously creative week.

P.S. Not keen to DIY Verre Eglomise. We’ve got you covered. Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with new crafty ideas to share with you 😉

Handmade Eglomise wall Mirror 23.6', Peruvian luxury Sunflower Mirror, Silver Round Mirror wall art decor, Mirror for living room
Peruvian Eglomise Serving Tray with handle, Handmade Small Tray Drink, Wooden Silver Kitchen Decor tray, Handpainted on glass Decorative Serving tray
Handpainted Mirror Wood Round Serving Tray from Peru, Wall Art Peruvian, Silver Kitchen Decor tray Drink, Serving tray, Birds design

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: October 20, 2017 05:11

Rita Ragan

This is breathtakingly beautiful. I can't wait to try it....but I'm confused. Did you remove the doily after spraying the black on it. If so, what did you use for the white look that remained.
    • Posted: October 20, 2017 09:55

Thank you so much Rita. Yes the doily was just used as a stencil and was removed afterwards. That white look is just piece of paper. Sorry I probably didn't make it clear enough. I didn't want any paint to go on the inside of the circle so I used the paper to block it off. That way when you spray with the mirror paint afterwards the center of the circle can be used as an actual mirror. Hope that helps and thanks so much for taking the time to ask, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: August 9, 2017 21:27

Tara

Michelle, I love the design of the doily, and the colors look amazing! Unicorn Spit sounds like such a fun product to use!
    • Posted: August 10, 2017 06:32

Thanks so much Tara. US is the best, you need to try it sometime
  • Posted: August 9, 2017 18:24

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom

Really really pretty! I imagine it was hard to layer backwards like that... but it turned out great! Going to have to go click your links to figure out what on earth unicorn spit is now... :P
    • Posted: August 10, 2017 06:34

I must admit it was a bit confusing working backwards. It puts a completely different perspective on things, which is a good thing sometimes;-)
  • Posted: July 28, 2017 16:27

Maya

This is the first time I hear about this technique (thank you Michelle for the introduction) and what you did is ab.so.lute.ly AMAZING!!! Must say you got me first with the Unicorn spit - laughed out loud when I read the title :P
    • Posted: July 29, 2017 10:40

Thanks so much Maya, it's the coolest paint and wood stain ever. I love the stuff and I'm so glad we finally have a local distributor here in South Africa
  • Posted: July 25, 2017 11:42

I have never heard about that technique and I think I won't be able to remember that name, but the result is gorgeous! I've heard amazing things about Unicorn spit too
    • Posted: July 25, 2017 11:44

You have to try it Pili. It's such awesome paint and it smells like jasmine too
  • Posted: July 24, 2017 19:04

This is WOW Michelle! I have never heard before about this technique! I suppose we can apply this technique on so many items!!! Excellent work my friend :)
    • Posted: July 25, 2017 05:44

Thanks so much Christina :D The technique really does produce the most beautiful effects
  • Posted: July 24, 2017 05:04

I have not heard of this before. Thank you for the knowledge. This piece is stunning and love the colours. Like everything you do this is stunning and artsy. I love it. Pinning.
    • Posted: July 24, 2017 05:46

Thank you so much Leanna, I really appreciate that. Hope you have a very happy week
  • Posted: July 21, 2017 15:09

jodie filogomo

This is an incredible technique!! I think I have a couple of things I could do this with.... XOXO Jodie www.jtouchofstyle.com
    • Posted: July 21, 2017 15:53

:D That's great Jodie, let me know how it goes. I'm sure you'll add you own unique style as always
  • Posted: July 20, 2017 20:45

Angie ~ ambient wares

This is so beautiful, Michelle! The colors are incredible. I've not heard of this technique at all but, it looks pretty darn cool. I've also never used Unicorn Spit and I'm just like Jas, I can't help but imagine a unicorn spitting all over the place ;)
    • Posted: July 21, 2017 08:53

LOL, yes that image is stuck in my head too now :D
  • Posted: July 20, 2017 15:07

Michelle, I've never heard of this technique but I love it!! The glass looks amazingly beautiful!! What a beautiful statement piece! I'd be glad to design a stencil for you my friend, we'll have to chat so you can give me a direction that you're wanting to go with the design.
    • Posted: July 20, 2017 15:49

We need to do that Keri. I'll give you a shout. There's no-one I would trust more to make me a big ass overlapping stencil. Hope you have an awesome week my friend :D
  • Posted: July 20, 2017 03:21

Jas @ All that's Jas

Love it! How do you come up with new and amazing ideas is beyond me. But every time you said unicorn spit I visualized a real (as if) unicorn snorting and then spitting on your project, lol. I can't help it, I'm a very visual person. :)
    • Posted: July 20, 2017 05:54

Bwahahahahahhaaa Jas, I don't think I'll ever be able to use Unicorn SPiT without that image popping into my head :D
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 20:16

Marie

Oh my goodness, Michelle, I MUST give this a try. But first, WTH is Unicorn Spit and do I need to find myself a unicorn (they're hard to come by in my neck of the woods)? I did pin it though in case I catch one galloping by my house.
    • Posted: July 20, 2017 06:02

:D LOL Marie, we struggle to find them here too. I think you'll love US for some of your furniture projects. The colors are just WOW
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 13:06

I haven't heard of this technique before, but now I want to try it! I love how it turned out, and I love trying new techniques. I have heard that Home Depot sells Unicorn Spit, I will have to remember next time I'm there.
    • Posted: July 19, 2017 14:04

OooooEeeee Linda, you have to try it and get some SPiT. The colors are amazing!!
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 02:27

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

This is the first I've heard of the technique, but it is lovely! Looks like there's quite a bit of room for variation to get different effects. I'm going to be looking for something to try it on. Now I've heard of "Unicorn Spit," but what exactly is it? Paint? What?
    • Posted: July 19, 2017 05:37

Oh you have to try Unicorn SPiT Florence. It's a gel and wood stain that comes in the most beautiful colors. The lady who developed it, Michelle Nicole, used to work at a day care center for the elderly and disabled and she really wanted to get them involved in upcycling furniture pieces, especially the men. Many of them found it difficult to hold a paint brush so she figured out a way to make a gel stain that was safe and that could be applied with your hands. It's really awesome stuff. I bought three colors from her about 2 years ago when she was still making it at home and loved it. Now you can get it at Walmart and a whole bunch of other stores. Isn't that just the most amazing, feel good story.
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 02:06

I have never heard of this before. I love the effect, it looks amazing. I will need to give it a try.
    • Posted: July 19, 2017 05:39

You will love it Debra. I wish I could capture how lovely it looks when the copper shines through the paint on the glass.
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 01:39

Handan Navage

Michelle, I love this!
    • Posted: July 19, 2017 05:39

• Posted: July 18, 2017 16:51

gigi

absolutely gorgeous!!!!
    • Posted: July 19, 2017 05:39

• Posted: July 18, 2017 16:31

Gabi

I never heard of it before, but now you made me curious and I have to try it. I have an old clock that is not working anymore and has to be redone. Only that awesome paint is a problem but i hope i will get one during my trip to US this autumn. Just lovely! :)
    • Posted: July 19, 2017 05:42

Thank you Gabi and I think you'll really enjoy it. I ordered my Unicorn SPiT directly from the lady who invented it. She's the sweetest person. Acrylics paints should also work though.
  • Posted: July 18, 2017 16:09

Hi Michelle, I am not good in craft, I have not heard of this technique before, you have changed the old cock into an awesome item. I love the design of the doily. What is a copper leaf?, Is it a thin sheet of copper. Very creative work dear.
    • Posted: July 18, 2017 16:26

Sadhna, your recipes are so creative so in my books you're "good in crafts". Copper leaf is the most amazing stuff. They normally use it to gild those highly ornate mirrors. It's super thin. In fact if you work with it the slightest breeze just blows it away.
  • Posted: July 18, 2017 16:02

I also have never heard of this technique Michelle. But it is so, so beautiful. All those layers of color and on top of that intricate design of the doily. It looks like a beautiful abstract work of art.
    • Posted: July 18, 2017 16:23

And it looks like an antique mirror. I can see myself, just barely. So I always look good ;-)
  • Posted: July 18, 2017 12:19

I have not heard of verre eglomise before, but really love how this old clock was turned into such a unique and beautiful decor piece! And you know what, I have this huge frame that I would love to try this on Michelle! Ah lot´s of inspiration, now I want to get home asap!
    • Posted: July 18, 2017 13:08

It's such a fun technique to try Katrin and the effect in incredible. Hope you're enjoying your holiday in Canada my friend.