When Your Creative Spark Goes Missing and How to Find It Again

I lost my creative spark somewhere last month. I don’t know how it happened, but I suspect it’s because I’ve started spending waaaayyyy to much time in front of my laptop being a techie. After 8 to 9 hours at the office fixing data problems and then coming home to work on the blog, I’m all techied out. My biggest passion has always been drawing or creating something with my hands and for a while now I’ve been trying really hard to convince myself that blogging is creating. It is, right? I’m not so sure anymore. 80% of the time I find myself doing the behind the scenes techie stuff. Making sure I tick off all the SEO boxes, doing the social media thing, writing a blog post, editing photos – every single one of which involves sitting on my ever spreading butt in front of the laptop when I get home. Well no more!!! I want my creative spark back.

When your creative spark goes missing and how to find it again.

So, I set myself a challenge this weekend. Put the laptop away, turn off all notifications and do something creative. Anything, it didn’t have to be perfect, as long as I could immerse myself in experimenting, learning and creating. And that’s just what I did – I sketched fairy horses and did cartwheels on the lawn. Not my most glorious moment, BTW. I kinda forgot that cartwheels are best done when you wear some thing that’s not going to flip over your head and expose your grandma panties to everyone 😀

I watched a Dog’s Purpose with my daughter and we laughed and cried together. When Ethan’s life became unhinged I recognized myself and realized once again that it’s the small things that keep us together and life is too short to worry about something like SEO. Okay I’m still going to worry about SEO, but not so much anymore 😉 There were so many lessons in that movie. Have you seen it?

I’m not going to spoil it, but suffice to say when I woke up on Sunday morning I gave all our furr babies a big fat hug before parking my ever spreading “laptop butt” down to enjoy my first cup of coffee and contemplate life.

One thing led to another and before I knew it those creative sparks started flying again. It was the furr baby hugs that did it 😀 I figured out how to make a hinge using  a leather belt and a stick.

When your creative spark goes missing and how to find it again

Oh the possibilities. As soon as I get my act together I’ll publish a full post on how to make them. I learnt that a plastic bottle can be recycled into an awesome pencil case. Can you see the plastic on the inside of the lid? That’s the bottom of the plastic bottle 😀

When your creative spark goes missing and how to find it again

I even learnt that my new Sizzix Thinlets Dies can be used to make the most gorgeous impressions, just by swinging the handle. It’s my new favorite toy – thank you Sizzix for sponsoring our creativity even when we lose it for a bit.

When your creative spark goes missing and how to find it again

And if you use the BigZ dies, you can make leather flowers

When your creative spark goes missing and how to find it again

Or a tassel like the one I added to the front of the pencil case.

When your creative spark goes missing and how to find it again

So What Can You Do to Get Your Creative Spark Back
  • Walk away from things that cause unnecessary mind clutter. I had to take a huge step away from technology and get back to basics, before those sparks started flying again. For someone else it might be turning the TV off or getting out of the hustle and bustle of the city.
  • Allow yourself to be a child again. Go outside and do handstands or play tag. Don’t worry if your panties show, as long as they’re clean 😉 I honestly believe that we’re all born creative. But somewhere along the line, as we become adults, self doubt and endless rules rob us of our natural creative abilities. So take your inner child’s hand and go for a walk together.
  • Live in the moment and let nature inspire you. Give your fur babies a hug, admire the beauty of a spider’s web and stare at the clouds.
  • Don’t compare yourself to others. We are all unique. I can draw but I can’t bake a cake, or write a novel, or play an instrument and I really suck at telling jokes. REALLY SUCK, I always forget the punch line.
  • Creativity is all about discovering and learning. So experiment without having a specific end goal in mind. If it doesn’t work, you would still have learnt something. I have tons of failed craft projects lying around. Some of them can never be saved, but everyone of them taught me something.
  • Give yourself time. Time to just “BE” without any expectations. I gave myself a weekend and I can feel that it’s not enough. It’s too easy for me to slip back into the habit of chasing SEO and working on my laptop butt. I’m going to give myself more time. So forgive me if I’m a little quiet for the next few weeks. I’ll be outside dancing under the stars with my inner child and kissing fur babies.

What do you do when you feel uninspired and lose your spark? I’d really love to hear about it.

Categories:   Hacks & Revamps

Comments

• Posted: August 26, 2017 22:22

Lauren

I definitely appreciated this post! I sometimes feel like I'm 'forcing' myself to do a project JUST because I haven't done a post in a while, etc. But when I'm creating, just for the joy of creating -- it really is a great feeling! Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on the spray chalk paint project!
    • Posted: August 28, 2017 13:02

Anytime Lauren. I'll be visiting lots more. I love your blog
  • Posted: July 27, 2017 00:35

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

I love this post Michelle! I can relate to every bit of it except the techie part. I am so NOT techy. I can relate to "laptop butt" though. I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds delightful. I'm really not terribly creative either, but I try my best. All of us bloggers can relate to feeling pulled in a zillion different directions trying to keep up with it all.
    • Posted: July 27, 2017 07:47

I'm real glad to hear I'm not the only one Florence. Who would've thought that blogging could be so hard sometimes.
  • Posted: July 24, 2017 04:55

Very beautiful project Michelle, its stunning. It was very moving to hear that you too sometimes have struggles. I will often weigh the challenges, if I blog and no ones reads it because I haven't marketed it. If I don't create there is nothing to blog about. I finally realized I love blogging because its my own, I am the owner. That is one of the big benefits of blogging. When that happens I am able to do exactly what you did. It warms my heart to know that such a widely talented and creative women shares the same emotions. Thanks so much for sharing my friend. Hugs.
    • Posted: July 24, 2017 05:50

Deep down in inside we're all the same I suppose. Full of doubt and never enough time to do the things we love so much. I'm realizing more and more that one of the BEST things about blogging is the wonderful people we meet along the way, like you Leanna. Thank you so much <3
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 20:32

Marie

Oh, I so needed to read this today. A Dog's Purpose has been added to my Must Watch list. Yep, every time I walk away to just breathe, sit outside on the deck with my fur baby on my lap and watching the squirrel's antics, or better yet pack a suitcase and head for the coast, I ALWAYS come back refreshed and loaded with creative ideas. When blog SEO is getting me down I try life SEO - Shut Up|Empty Your Head|Outdoors We Go!
    • Posted: July 20, 2017 05:59

That's the best definition I've ever heard of SEO Marie. Just brilliant!!! I must remember that and let me know what you think of a Dog's Purpose my friend. I loved it
  • Posted: July 19, 2017 19:11

Stephanie Jeannot

Funny you said that. Movies have lately been sparking my creativity in such a big way. I like that idea. Music always seems to change things for me.
    • Posted: July 20, 2017 06:04

Music is a huge source of inspiration for me too. It's amazing how it talks to our senses in such a beautiful way
  • Posted: July 17, 2017 20:48

Nadia

I haven't seen the movie but have heard it'd make you cry (and you've confirmed it to me :) so I think that's why I've been avoiding it. Too much stress here already so avoiding anything that would make me weep. Silly, right? Maybe a bit of crying would relieve the stress and also, like you mentioned, snap us out of everyday unnecessary worries like SEO :) Life is SOOOO much bigger than that and, thankfully, whenever I take time off social media, spend more time with family and friends, out and about, being active, I feel so much more alive <3 Just need fur babies in our home :) I would be giving them plenty of hugs :D Loved the tips on how to get the creative spark back! They all work like a charm. xox Nadia www.mielandmint.com
    • Posted: July 18, 2017 13:25

It's soooo worth watching Nadia. My mom always said we need to empty our jug before we can fill it again and a good happy cry always works for me ;-)
  • Posted: July 17, 2017 20:45

Debbie-Dabble

Michelle, Thanks so much for stopping by!! The frogs sitting on a bench were bought about 10 years ago at Sam's Club. Hugs,Debbie
    • Posted: July 18, 2017 05:50

Those frogs are the cutest Debbie. Hope you have a happy week my creative friend
  • Posted: July 17, 2017 11:38

Firstly, I LOVED your tips on staying creative. All of them brilliant! I also adore your pencil case! The leather work is stunning, Michelle! I love that little gadget too! Your work and creativity always inspire me. When I see a new post from your blog, I always get so excited! Thanks so much for this. I needed it big time right now. You are so right, all the behind the scenes work is a buzzkill for creativity. I get so frustrated by it as well. So blessed to have discovered your blog and your friendship! xo
    • Posted: July 17, 2017 13:55

I feel the same way Carolann. Looks like working on the laptop butt does actually pay off sometimes. We get to meet the most awesome people in blogland ;-)
  • Posted: July 16, 2017 15:16

Cynthia Chilson Finger

I really enjoyed reading this post, Michelle. I think it boils down to knowing ourselves and what makes us happy and fulfilled. I've gotten a lot more selfish with my free time. And spending it on figuring out social media, is just not on my to do list. It looks like you got your groove back because your leather pieces are gorgeous! Respect :D
    • Posted: July 16, 2017 15:35

Thank you soooo very much Cynthia. And you are spot on with the bit about knowing yourself. I always thought I did, but I got sucked into the whole social media and SEO thing without even realizing it. And I miss ME
  • Posted: July 15, 2017 22:16

Nati

I am quite lucky to blog about something creative as makeup. In fact I do create nail art manicures and I try to be original with my makeup looks, associating improbable colors and challenging myself to make them look good. Then I snap pictures of my work and share it on my blog. Is in the way I share things I am still not creative enough. I just present them quite plainly. So I definitely should work in improving that!
    • Posted: July 16, 2017 06:17

I've read quite a few of your posts and your writing style is lovely Natalia. I suppose we should never stop working on improving ourselves and whet we do
  • Posted: July 15, 2017 00:48

Jas @ All that's Jas

My sentiments exactly, Michelle. I had to walk away from SEO, the chair with my big butt imprint, and my laptop that has me glued to its screen and social media (I'm back now after 10 unproductive days). I lost my creative spark too but in my case, it means no food and no eating, lol. That horse drawing is absolutely stunning! Wish I could at least draw a stick figure, ha! Not even wishing to be able to create anything else you do, becasue I just know my fingers won't bend that way :)
    • Posted: July 16, 2017 06:21

LOL and here I was feeling all sorry for myself and your family was starving '-) Good for you Jas, although I really missed seeing what deliciousness you've been cooking up. We all need to get a way from technology every now and then, it messes with our souls.
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 22:35

Candy Rachelle

As far as blogging, when I try to come up with something outside of fashion and travel to blog about, I usually visit other blogs and see what type of things they're doing. Or I may just drive and look around. There's inspiration everywhere. www.keepingupwithcandy.com Where Fashion + Travel Live Happily Ever After
    • Posted: July 16, 2017 06:22

You're so right Candy. We can find inspiration anywhere if we just look hard enough
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 19:34

Oh, you expressed exactly how I have been feeling. You definitely need to walk away from the computer and enjoy the things you love to do. And when you come back and create a wonderful pencil case. I love looking at all of your projects. And I also loved A Dog's Purpose.
    • Posted: July 16, 2017 06:24

Thanks so much Debra :D I really wonder if there's a bug going around. Do many of us are feeling bleeah.
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 19:20

Amy

I love this post. I think it is necessary to step away sometimes. As a professional musician, I find that I have always done better by NOT practicing every day. One or two days off a week help keep me motivated and fresh. So, good for you for taking a weekend off! Also, I love the pencil holder. I certainly don't think you've lost the creative spark - it just needed a little rest. :)
    • Posted: July 16, 2017 06:25

I never knew you were a professional musician Amy. Wow.
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 15:32

jodie filogomo

Nature always gets me back in the mood!! Jodie www.jtouchofstyle.com
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 15:55

That's so true hey Jodie. Connecting with Mother Nature always calms me down
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 14:42

Sue Tanya McHorgh

I am glad you got your creative juices flowing again. Every now and then i lose my flow, i think we all do as bloggers. I find taking a break sometimes helps . Cheers
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 15:01

It's now quite there yet, it's more like a dribble at the moment ;-) But I'll get there. Thank you Sue ;-)
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 13:31

Indrani

Sometimes I too face the writer's block. Your tips sound so helpful to get off that mood.
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 13:53

I do hope the tips help a little when you get writer's block Indrani, they helped me a lot
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 13:05

Kelly

This is such a great post! As someone who works in a creative field, it's so difficult when you lose your creative spark. It happens sometimes but tuning out and tuning into those things that you love help it come back!
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 13:52

Thank you so much Kelly and yeah you're right. Sometimes we have to tune out to tune in :D
  • Posted: July 14, 2017 03:44

Amy @ Chew Out Loud

I totally want to see A Dog's Purpose, too. Your talk of laughing so hard has sealed the deal...I'm renting it!
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 05:29

It's a lovely heart warming movie Amy, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 22:59

I think you will always have your creative spark, but it's good that you were able to step away for awhile. As for the ever widing laptop butt, I so get that. Lol. This week I have taken some time off, we having been having a staycation. We haven't gone anywhere just been working around the house. So I've been doing the bare minimum on my blog, and been enjoying the break.
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 05:34

I just heard about a staycation the other day and it sounds like such a great idea. I know how many hours you put in at work too Linda, so taking the time to spend at home with the hubby doing all the things you've been meaning to do sounds good to me. Enjoy your break my friend and those new/used pool chairs ;-)
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 22:05

Elena

I know what you mean. I not only lost my creative spark but I am also loosing my sight. I took a month break, maybe you should too :)
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 05:35

Oh Elena, I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you loads of love and good wishes
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 19:42

Jasmine Watson

This post has come at the right time for me, I need to get my creative mojo back !
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 05:37

It's awful when it happens, you feel so lost. I'm sure yours will come back to Jazz, just give it some time
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 16:54

Never Say Die Beauty

Your post is on a topic I had been thinking about. I'm a crocheter, and I sort of lost my mojo back in November though I am not quite finished with a shawl I'm making. I've gotta get myself going again. I am so impressed with your pencil holder - it's stunning! The leatherwork is incredible. Keep up the good work!
    • Posted: July 14, 2017 05:43

I wonder if there's a "creative juice destroying" bug going around or maybe we're all just working to hard and forgetting to play. I hope you get your shawl done Allison. I've always wanted to learn how to crochet.
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 15:02

Jessica Barnett

I absolutely adore your warm tone photos! Those glasses are so adorable! Where did you get them from? I find myself from time to time taking a break from social as well, nice read!
    • Posted: July 13, 2017 16:01

I believe those glasses were my great granddad's on my mom's side of the family. Aren't they just the coolest? Thanks so much for your lovely comment Jessica, I really appreciate it
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 12:22

Nicole

This post is very inspiring! Sometimes it's okay to have a break and as a blogger we do tend to lose our creative spark!
    • Posted: July 13, 2017 14:19

Thanks so much Nicole, it's good to know that I'm not the only one :D
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 09:41

I'm so glad that you were able to walk away from the computer at least even for a day. I know all about that spreading butt on the chair. Haha! Michelle I think as long as you have paper and pencil you will always be super creative. The thing I hate about blogging the the SM circus. That to me is the worst and it only seems to be getting more vicious. But I decided to just concentrate on one or two and then just do the minimum for the rest. And I try to enjoy the writing process as much as the photography. That too is creativity, no?
    • Posted: July 13, 2017 10:48

Oh yes Mary, writing is creative and you do it so well. It always feels like I can actually hear your voice when I read your posts. I often really struggle to find the words, I'd far rather draw them than try and write them
      • Posted: July 13, 2017 17:43

I think you express yourself perfectly with drawing. That is your comfort place I think.
        • Posted: July 14, 2017 05:38

Hubby said the same thing and when two of my favorite people agree, it's probably a good idea for me to listen ;-) Time for me to pick up the paint brush again
  • Posted: July 13, 2017 07:12

Julia - Vintage with Laces

It's good to take a break from the online world from time to time. It can be so overwhelming and it's no wonder that the creative juices don't flow anymore. I'm glad you got your muse back, Michelle. Your pencil holder turned out great! Go and have fun doing some more cartwheels! :) xo Julia
    • Posted: July 13, 2017 08:45

I swear I'm going to put a hex on technology. UGH, why does it have to rule our lives so completely. One thing I do know if that every time I pop into your blog I get inspired so maybe technology isn't all bad ;-)
  • Posted: July 12, 2017 18:41

I'm glad you got your creative juices flowing again Michelle. It has happened a lot to me this past year, adjusting work with family and me-time. That can be one tricky bugger. Movie time with the kiddos is a great way to step away from the to-do lists, we went to the movies last night and watched the new Despicable me movie and it was awesome. I have to ask my girls if they´ve watched a dog´s purpose. If not, then that´s on tonight! ;) Can´t wait to see more of your beautiful pencil holder! Looks amazing as all of your creations!
    • Posted: July 13, 2017 08:46

It couldn't have been easy for your Katrin and you still come up with the most amazingly beautiful things. You definitely have a gift for making everyday things so beautiful and classy
  • Posted: July 11, 2017 04:23

Michelle, that's awesome that you took a break from technology and got your creative spark back! I haven't seen A Dog's Purpose yet but now I'm going to put it on my watch list. These are great tips for getting that creative juice flowing again! It obviously worked, you made some wonderful things!
    • Posted: July 11, 2017 07:44

You and the girls will love the movie Keri. It's such a lovely story. Hope you have a happy week my friend
  • Posted: July 10, 2017 19:18

Melissa Javan

Love this
    • Posted: July 11, 2017 07:45

• Posted: July 10, 2017 19:02

MomOfTwoLittleGirls

Love this! I'm still catching up on last week's linkys, but refusing to join any this week! I'm taking my break ... and will break it how I see fit! Glad you got your groove back! #humpdaylinky
    • Posted: July 11, 2017 07:53

:D I love that and I hear you, sometimes it all gets a bit much. Hope you have an awesome break
  • Posted: July 10, 2017 17:06

ChevsLife

Sound like you had a glorious weekend and wow, what amazing art!
    • Posted: July 10, 2017 17:14

I did, it was looooong overdue ;-)
  • Posted: July 10, 2017 16:38

Angie ~ ambient wares

I have goosebumps, Michelle. I've driven myself crazy, probably literally, trying to juggle all aspects of life and blogging. Working 2 jobs, 1physically draining, the other just plain boring ;) and then coming home totally drained and wondering why I just can't muster the energy to do something, anything. I love being creative too and I never want to lose that. Your tassel and bottle are awesome and the design on that piece of leather looks incredible! I love seeing all that you create but, I'm with you, we need to take breaks so that we don't forget what's truly important to us.
    • Posted: July 10, 2017 17:00

Oh I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one Angie, it's driving me nuts at the moment. I can't understand exactly when I let technology and blogging take over my life, but it did, and I'm going to kick it's butt right back where it belongs. Coz my laptop butt needs a break and my creative soul wants to dance again <3