Use Old DVD Cases to Make a Vertical Garden

Hey y’all, can you believe its almost the end of June and we’re more than half way through the year already? That just seems wrong somehow. I hope it’s been a good one for you so far. If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you’ll know that the last Monday of the month means it’s time for the Int’l Bloggers Club (IBC) challenge. Every month, a group of bloggers from all over the world get together, to make, create or recycle something based on a specific theme. Last month’s we all repurposed tin cans and you won’t believe what everyone came up with. This month we had to do something with a common household item and we chose old DVD cases.

Old DVD cases

That’s a common household item right? Everyone has them gathering dust somewhere. We have loads of them. Games, backups and movies, they’re all there. When we went through our stash, most of the inside bits were missing. How does that even happen? There’s no ways we could donate them, so we decided to recycle them instead and make a vertical garden.

Leather covered cases

The plastic outer casing make perfect planters. They’re sturdy and a nice size. All we needed to do was drill a few drainage holes at the bottom of the DVD cases and find a piece of wood to hang them on.

Drainage holes

The plain black casings aren’t the prettiest, so we put together a template and used it to cut some leather bits we have left over from our epic suitcase bureau makeover to cover the cases.

Cutting out the pattern

We glued the leather to the old DVD cases and when the glue had dried, added a few pebbles in the bottom.

Gluing and filling

The DVD cases were screwed onto the piece of wood and filled with soil, succulents and a Heart Leaf Philodendron. This little beauty is often called the Sweetheart plant and will grow really quickly in low to medium light. She’s probably the most common house plant here in South Africa. We have a huge one in our garden so we just took some stem cuttings that had been dipped in rooting hormone.

Another left over from the suit case makeover was used to hang the vertical garden.

Luggage strap

I love how the vertical garden turned out. I just can’t decide whether she should be hung up………….

Or do we put her against the wall with our other succulents?

What do you think? Would you hang it or stack it? And if you have any other ideas on how to recycle DVD cases I’d love to hear about them because we have a few more empty cases gathering dust 😉

Luggage strap

And if you like the idea don’t forget to share and pin it for later.

How clever. Old DVD cases have been re-purposed to make a beautiful vertical garden #DIYHomeDecor #Gardens

Pinny Please

Oh before I forget, if you don’t want to all that trouble and find some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more crafty ideas to share with you 😉

10 Single Side Black DVD Cases with Clear Plastic Cover
Sale David's Garden Seeds Flower Amaranthus Love Lies Bleeding OS1139 (Purple) 200 Heirloom Seeds
Sale Faux Leather Buffalo Black Fabric By The Yard

Now I’m off to see what common household items the other IBC bloggers have recycled. Wanna join me?

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Hacks & Revamps, Int'l Bloggers Club, Quick & Easy Crafts, Recycling Crafts

Comments

• Posted: December 28, 2017 19:05

Tsu Dho Nimh

Great idea ... we have a BAZILLION of those cases. I would worry about water damage to the leather if used for plants, but as wall storage pockets it would be awesome.
    • Posted: December 30, 2017 07:06

Thanks so much Tsu. Surprisingly enough the leather has held up nicely so far. Maybe because it's not real leather
  • Posted: August 6, 2017 18:09

Thrifty Campers

Such a cool idea for planters. What a way to put those dvd cases to good use!
    • Posted: August 8, 2017 07:09

Thanks so much, we have a few more empty cases that need to be re-purposed somehow. Weird how that happens
  • Posted: July 18, 2017 13:33

Michelle - Happy Heart Made

Brilliant...such a lovely planter Michelle!!
    • Posted: July 18, 2017 13:51

• Posted: July 6, 2017 13:25

Nikki Jo Frank-Hamilton

Michelle, this turned out so gorgeous! Love it. Does the leather wrap all the way around, holding in the dirt and plants? Fill me in, I may have a few cases that I can use myself!
    • Posted: July 6, 2017 13:47

It goes about half way around the back Nikki. You can see it in the one picture where we added the stones. We didn't have big enough pieces of the faux leather to cover the whole back. Hope that helps and thank you so much for the lovely comment
  • Posted: July 6, 2017 00:28

Gennifer Rose

Wow! What an ingenious way to use old CD cases. I never would've known, it looks so professional :)
    • Posted: July 6, 2017 05:21

Thanks so much Gennifer :D
  • Posted: July 4, 2017 11:35

Odette

This is such a wonderful planter Michelle. One would never say it is made from old dvd cases.
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 13:21

Thanks so much Odette, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: July 4, 2017 04:43

Samantha

This is a really great idea & so creative! Hopefully this inspires more people to upcycle/repurpose items.
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 06:09

I really hope so Samantha, we need to start giving back to our beautiful planet ;-)
  • Posted: July 4, 2017 03:42

Tiffany Yong

Confession, I was browsing through your article really quickly. Did a double take when I see nothing like the ugly casing you said and then started reading in depth! Will this casing breed mozzies? That's something I'm concerned about.
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 06:12

I don't think so Tiffany, there are drainage holes at the bottom of the DVD cases and the soil we added drains well too.
  • Posted: July 4, 2017 02:31

Courtney Andrews

This is such a cool project! I could never even think of something so creative! I love how you were able to repurpose something old into something new and so beautiful!
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 06:13

• Posted: July 3, 2017 21:41

I just love succulents and this is the perfect way to feature them! You are always so brilliant when it comes to designing something unique! I love getting inspired by your work. Carolann xo
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 06:14

Thanks so much Carolann. I must admit we had lots of fun recycling the DVD cases for this vertical garden
  • Posted: July 3, 2017 18:23

Tali Love

I've been getting more into recycling lately. Great ideas.
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 06:16

Recycling can be lots of fun :D
  • Posted: July 3, 2017 18:11

Elizabeth

This is such a creative way to reuse materials from around the house! I love how you'll be growing plants.
    • Posted: July 4, 2017 06:17

Me too. It's always such a lovely feeling when we can take something that could harm the planet and turn it into something that earth friendly
  • Posted: July 3, 2017 04:34

Amy @ Chew Out Loud

Ok, i have to say this is probably one of the most creative ways i've ever seen a dvd holder being used. beautiful!
    • Posted: July 3, 2017 07:00

Thank you Amy, now I just need to figure out what to do with all the others
  • Posted: July 3, 2017 01:59

Regina Garson

What a beautiful idea. I always seem to have more plants than I can figure out what to do with. This looks like a real good space saving idea.
    • Posted: July 3, 2017 07:03

I love vertical gardens, they're so perfect for small spaces. Thanks for stopping by Regina
  • Posted: July 3, 2017 00:52

Ty

Wow!!! What an awesome idea. I'm so not a DIY girl, but greatly admire people who are. This is a really good one. :)
    • Posted: July 3, 2017 07:03

Thank you Ty, this is an easy one to try
  • Posted: July 2, 2017 19:19

Claire Ady

This is a brilliant idea! They're not much good for anything else these days!
    • Posted: July 3, 2017 07:04

You're so right about that Claire ;-)
  • Posted: July 2, 2017 18:13

Jithin

Wow...that's sounds cool. Great idea to convert old DVD covers to a vertical hanging garden. The concept of reusing things is very important in our current world. You have done a great job. I will definitely try this.
    • Posted: July 3, 2017 07:05

Thank you Jithin, we really do need to start making a plan to turn all our plastic waste into something useful and hopefully pretty too
  • Posted: July 2, 2017 15:00

Nancy Andres

So Cool Michelle. Love succulents and love how they look in your amazing recycling project. Visiting from Sweet Inspiration, where I posted Are Artificial Food Colors Harmful to People? Thanks for being one of the fabulous hosts. Have a great weekend.
    • Posted: July 2, 2017 15:43

Thanks so much Nancy and I'm really glad you joined us. I'm on my way to have a look at your post.
  • Posted: July 2, 2017 14:51

Clair

What are great idea! We have tons of empty DVD cases laying around...mainly because my kids of destroyed the dvds that used to reside in them 😂 I am all about succulents and finding new ways to plant/display them! I will be trying this out sometime this week 😁
    • Posted: July 2, 2017 15:41

LOL, that sounds like our house. How do they disappear or get broken like that? Thanks Claire, let me know how it works out and I'd love to see a pic of your version
  • Posted: July 2, 2017 14:14

Michelle, this is such an amazing project!! I'm always amazed by what you can do! This is such a beautiful planter and I can't believe you made it with DVD cases. I think I like the planter hanging up although it does look good next to the other succulents. I guess you could switch it up whenever you felt like it. Awesome repurpose, just amazing!!!
    • Posted: July 2, 2017 14:39

Thank you Keri <3 The garden was a lot of fun to make and I'm glad to say the plants are still thriving.
  • Posted: July 2, 2017 00:29

Wow Michelle, what a cool idea of using the old DVD cases, nobody can guess what are they made of? I like them on the wall.
    • Posted: July 2, 2017 12:44

Thank you my friend, I'm starting to think the same thing :D
  • Posted: July 1, 2017 16:35

Emily

I never would have thought to use them for that! I've been trying to repurpose things for gifts this year. Love all the things you've done!
    • Posted: July 2, 2017 12:45

Thank you so much Emily. Re-purposed gifts are the best in my books. They always come from the heart instead of the wallet.
  • Posted: June 30, 2017 17:21

Maya

wow! I knew there was something more behind those drab CD cases! A wonderful repurpose Michelle. I couldn't have guessed just by judging by the photos!
    • Posted: July 1, 2017 07:46

• Posted: June 30, 2017 15:37

Amanda

Whoa! This is such a cool hack that I have never seen before! I live in a small apartment but love plants so this is way up my alley. Thank you for posting.
    • Posted: June 30, 2017 15:40

Oh my Amanda, thank you for that. The little vertical garden is perfect for a small apartment
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 07:22

Sarah - Craft Invaders

Would never guess in a million years what the planter is made of Michelle (if it wasn't in the title obviously!) Very clever
    • Posted: June 28, 2017 07:41

That's good to know ;-) Thanks Sarah
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 06:17

No one but you can think about these types of ideas Michelle. Your brilliant at this stuff. I really like the leftover leather idea. You could easily grab an old jacket to do this with. Love it as always.
    • Posted: June 28, 2017 07:14

Oh my yes, an old leather jacket would work perfectly too. You've just given me an idea, thank you Leanna ;-)
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 03:12

Angie ~ ambient wares

Oh would you just stop it?! Of course I'm kidding. Never ever ever stop! Your brain is insane in the very best way ;) Love it!!
    • Posted: June 28, 2017 05:15

LOL Angie, that's one of the best compliments I've ever gotten :D Thank you
  • Posted: June 27, 2017 23:04

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

Wow! What an idea! That's one I never thought of. I had no idea DVD cases could be used that way. So clever!
    • Posted: June 28, 2017 05:19

Thanks so much Florence and welcome back from your camping trip, hope you had a lovely time. I missed seeing all your lovely vintage finds
  • Posted: June 27, 2017 21:15

Very clever Michelle! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. Your dvd case vertical garden is amazing! It looks great on the wall or with your other succulents. I love the Heart Leaf Philodendron with the colors from the other succulents mixed in with it. You are really good at thinking outside the box. ;)
    • Posted: June 28, 2017 05:24

Thanks so much Linda :D That little Philodendron is such a rewarding plant. We got a small cutting about two years ago from a friend down in Hibberdene and she just does her own thing in the garden. I suspect that the leaves a will turn a little darker now that some of her babies have been planted in the vertical garden. She'll get a lot more natural light where we've put her.
  • Posted: June 27, 2017 00:44

You are so very clever. I love seeing what you have been up too.
    • Posted: June 27, 2017 08:02

Thank you Debra, I really appreciate that ;-)
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 16:35

I am pulling my hair right now because before the move I got rid of all our old cases aarrrggg!! You have such a creative mind, and it turns out that the finished product is amazing. Thanks for the wishes but no sipping martinis at the beach for me, I can have some cold water instead 😉
    • Posted: June 27, 2017 07:58

Ahhh sorry to hear that Pili, maybe you'll find a few in all those apartments your redecorating? :D
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 16:11

Marie|The Interior Frugalista

Never EVER in a million years would I look at an old DVD case and think, hmmm, I see a hanging succulent garden! You are so freak'n creative, Michelle, seriously girl!!!!
    • Posted: June 27, 2017 07:56

LOL Marie, thank you :D
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 15:46

I don't even know where to start, one of these days I'm gonna get a major freak out anxiety attack when going through your posts! This is brilliant and sooooo pretty! Love your idea Michelle!
    • Posted: June 26, 2017 16:03

Oh no Katrin, please don't. I would far rather have you anxiety free so you can enjoy your beautiful summer weather my friend.
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 14:44

Jas @All that's Jas

I can't believe you! Do your fairies come in your dreams and whisper those amazing ideas to you? How do you look at an old CD case and think - aha! Garden! My mind would go - aha! Trash! LOL You just never cease to amaze me!!!
    • Posted: June 26, 2017 14:51

:D LOL Jas, yes those fairies whisper all the time :D
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 14:00

Julia - Vintage with Laces

I would have never thought of that, Michelle! What a great idea! Your vertical garden looks beautiful!
    • Posted: June 26, 2017 14:22

Thank you Julia, but knowing how creative you are, you would have made something completely out of this world with DVD cases
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 08:28

Aww Michelle this is really epic! The use of the leather makes it look so earthy and goes great with the wood and green of the plants. I have quite a few of those DVD cases and never knew what to do with them. Your idea is really great but I think you'll forgive me if I put faux flowers in them instead. I don't want to do any harm to the real ones.
    • Posted: June 26, 2017 08:57

LOL, of course I'll forgive you Mary. Adding faux plants will work just as well and you won't have to remember to water them either, especially with the heat wave you guys are having at the moment ;-)
Pin201