The Sad Story of an Epic Fail – IBC Challenge

It’s the last Monday of the month which means it’s time for the Int’l Bloggers Challenge. This month challenge is a little bit different from the others. We’re exposing some of our epic fails. Gasp!!! Something you don’t see often in a world where information is readily available and all you need to do is go to Pinterest to see pictures of stunning DIY projects and decorating ideas? I don’t know about you, but sometimes it feels like it’s all a little bit over the top. I’ve seen some beautifully decorated homes and thought, who on earth dusts all that stuff. And all those DIY projects where something that’s perfectly functional has been turned into something that collapses in a heap the minute you’ve finished staging the photo. If you’ve got a minute or two to spare let me tell you the sad story about my epic fail when I decided to make my hubby a man curtain.

Even the name is a little ridiculous, but I that didn’t phase me. I figured it would make it easier to get to the number one spot on google if someone ever decided to type in “man curtain” 😉 And it all started with this contraption here.

Not all DIY projects work out, some of them fall into the EPIC fail category. Like the man curtain

The “Contraption”

That thing is apparently called a Guy Wire Turnbuckle and I have no idea how it ended up in our stash of arbitrary things. Nevertheless it was there, and it looked like a very manly thing. Now I’ve never been one to shy away from playing with manly things so I gathered up a whole bunch of chains and some wire and started thinking about what I could do that would go viral and put our name up there with the other blogging greats. People like Mary, Keri, Katrin and Pili.

A ton of chains

That’s when inspiration struck. Why not wire the chains to the turnbuckle to make a manly version of a beaded curtain.

Wiring the chains

No one’s done that before, right? It would be the perfect décor in a man cave or even garage. I could already see myself walking onto the stage to get my award for turning the world of DIY around. And the best thing about the man curtain was that it could be used for storage too. Just add a few hooks and viola.

The Man Curtain

And that’s when the epic fail happened. That darn curtain became so heavy it stayed on the wall for all of maybe 3 minutes, before it came crashing down in a heap and taking a whole bunch of hubbies tools with it. It left a dent in the wall on the way down and a crater the size of Mount Vesuvius on the garage floor.

Our own Mount Vesuvius

We were lucky to survive the fall with all of our appendages intact. This is a family friendly blog so unfortunately I can’t share the words hubby used. Suffice to say that quite a few hardened criminals would have been proud of my man. That’s the thing about DIY and life in general. Not everything works, but we move on and we learn something valuable in the process, even if it’s just the realization that old limbs can still move really quickly when disaster strikes.

[tweet_box design=”default” float=”none”]When you succeed, move on by sharing. When you fail, move on by learning.[/tweet_box]

I’m glad to say we could salvage some bits and piece, although my pride was in tatters for a few weeks. Those chains went to making a dreamy garden swing and my new found appreciation for gravity helped me figure out how to defy it and make this HOME shelf, our most popular post ever. Well that is until I figure out how to make a light weight man curtain, so I can bask forever in blogging glory 😉

Home shelf for all those little treasures

Home shelf for all those little treasures

Everyday somewhere, someone is doing something silly that could lead to an epic fail. That’s what makes us human. I honestly believe that failure is something we all need to celebrate instead of hide, so we can learn and grow together. It’s only when you fail that you begin to realize that good things don’t happen overnight and that sharing failure often brings us closer together.   Talking about sharing, pop on over to my beautiful friends from the IBC to see of their epic fail.

P.S. If you’re willing I love you to share some of your fails in the comments below so we can all grow together.

Categories:   Int'l Bloggers Club

Tags:  ,

Comments

• Posted: April 3, 2017 00:12

Angie ~ ambient wares

Such a great frame of mind Michelle! I wish I was kinder to myself in the face of failure which happens at least once a day. I'm definitely learning that the harder I am on myself, the harder it is to really complete ANYTHING. Thanks for this reminder!
    • Posted: April 3, 2017 07:46

You're so right Angie. Sometimes we try so hard to be perfect all the time and when things don't work out the way we planned, we give up. You shouldn't be to hard on yourself, your projects are amazing
  • Posted: April 1, 2017 01:04

Kellie

I have a few that have not worked. I have wondered about the chain thing that went around. Thanks for the heads up.
    • Posted: April 1, 2017 14:46

I hear you Kellie. I think we all have a few that didn't work out, or more than a few in my case
  • Posted: March 31, 2017 19:57

yvonne

This makes me feel so much better, the amount of things that I end up not putting on the blog because it has turned out different to planned lol! X
    • Posted: April 1, 2017 14:45

Uggg Yvonne don't you hate it when that happens? I have sooooo many projects that I tried that just don't seem to work out. Live and learn I suppose ;-)
  • Posted: March 31, 2017 17:30

jodie filogomo

It's true--sometimes I think I learn more from the failures than the successes! jodie www.jtouchofstyle.com
    • Posted: April 1, 2017 05:25

I agree, they always teach us something ;-)
  • Posted: March 31, 2017 14:15

Gina

I really like the theme of this month's international linkup! It makes me feel a lot better about my own epic fails. Like the time I tried to make bread in my food processor and broke it. O.o Haha!
    • Posted: March 31, 2017 14:46

Oh no Gina :D I'm so sorry you broke your food processor, that sounds like something I would do. I'm really enjoying your blog BTW, I love following your journey
  • Posted: March 30, 2017 23:24

Tara

I think the man curtain was a great idea. All those tools would get heavy, though. My husband has something with hooks that holds his ties and belts. It's great for keeping them organized and from being all over floor.
    • Posted: March 31, 2017 08:41

Yeah, silly me, I never took into account how heavy the chains plus a whole bunch of tools would be.
  • Posted: March 30, 2017 23:19

Oh my dear, very well written post, Michelle. Failure can make us perfect. You are right we should not shy of our failure. we all are human beings. Sometimes we start a project but that can be a total disaster. Home-shelf is looking so cute for small items and garden swing is an awesome idea. I am looking forward to see all your new and successful projects in future.
    • Posted: March 31, 2017 08:42

Thank you so much Sadhna and you're right it's only by failing that we succeed
  • Posted: March 30, 2017 21:47

Amy

You are hilarious! This was a great post. I agree about all the picture perfect homes on Instagram, etc. Who actually lives like that? Not me... Personally, I think the man curtain was a fabulous idea. Don't let it go. You'll make it work at some point! Also, I adore the HOME shelf that you came up with!
    • Posted: March 31, 2017 08:44

:D Thank you Amy, I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets a bit freaked out by perfect homes
  • Posted: March 30, 2017 20:17

Hey Michelle: I really enjoyed reading along, I was nodding my head thinking yes that's logical, good idea, what could go wrong it makes sense to me. I can just imagine your shock when the whole thing came crashing down. In our home Hubs is always cautioning me about the weight of something. He often has to curb my enthusiasm on "ideas". I have to say though that your new whimsical swing is my favorite post to date and maybe it wouldn't have occurred if this man curtain had worked out for you. Thank you for sharing its nice to know the reality behind your gorgeous blog.
    • Posted: March 31, 2017 08:46

It sounds like your hubby and mine will get a long beautifully Leanna. One day we'll get together and they can chat about gravity and we can sneak off and try to defy her as much as possible ;-)
  • Posted: March 30, 2017 18:03

Cathy

How refreshing! In the online world where we mostly see "perfection". By the way, I loved your swing and your shelf is great!
    • Posted: March 31, 2017 08:46

Thanks you so much Cathy, I appreciate that
  • Posted: March 29, 2017 17:35

Our fails make us go back to the drawing board so you will come up with an idea for the man curtain. And go down in bloggers history. But in the meantime the swing and shelf look fabulous.
    • Posted: March 30, 2017 04:13

Thank you so much you're so right Debra, we learn valuable lessons whether it's a success or a failure
  • Posted: March 29, 2017 14:36

I agree completely with you Michelle, when I see all those perfects homes with lot of decorating stuff everywhere I wonder who does the cleaning. Every time I clean my home the idea of becoming a minimalist grows in my mind. I love the idea of a man curtain and having all his tools there is perfect. I am sure you will find a solution for that because it's not a fail, it's another way of how not to do it. Edison knew a lot about that. I love reading your posts, you make me laugh so hard! I can imagine hubby's words and that crater on the floor lol.
    • Posted: March 29, 2017 15:17

So true Pili, it always looks so amazing in the magazines and some of the decor blogs, but it's just not practical, well not in our house anyway. Who wants to dust the whole time, when there's pallets to paint and crafts to make :D
  • Posted: March 29, 2017 01:51

FLORENCE @ VintageSouthernPicks

So cleverly and humorously written, you had me in chuckles all the way through it! Yes I know what you mean about wanting to bask in blogging glory! It's a good thing you survived the crash of the manly curtain. Hardened criminals would have been proud of your man & his vocabulary!! Haha! Well, you will reach "blogging glory," I am certain...one of these days....along with the other blogging greats!
    • Posted: March 29, 2017 07:21

Oh yay, thank you so much Florance. One day we'll all stand on that stage together ;-)
  • Posted: March 28, 2017 18:56

Michelle the man curtain is a brilliant idea, and I am sure you will come up with something that will work. But you were able to put your chains into good use on your pretty garden swing. You are to funny "playing with manly things". I'm afraid my mind went in the gutter with that, LOL.
    • Posted: March 29, 2017 07:19

:D Now I know why we're friends, LOL. Thank you Linda
  • Posted: March 28, 2017 14:44

Jas @All that's Jas

Oh Em Gee, you're "not the one to shy away from playing with manly things"... made me laugh out loud...Sorry, my mind is in the gutter. I'm going to time out now :( Those chains do look mighty heavy. I like your idea of man curtain, perhaps some lighter chains would do, unless that would be insulting to the man ;)
    • Posted: March 28, 2017 16:23

Bwaaaahahaha Jas, I love you to bits :D
  • Posted: March 28, 2017 13:32

Michelle, this was such a beautifully written post, love the style and your humor. As for the man curtain, hey you tried and I think it would have been awesome had not the weight been overwhelming. You've already made into the book of blogging glory. You and your husband create some of the most awesome sauce projects ever!!
    • Posted: March 28, 2017 14:40

Aww Keri, thank you for making me feel better about my little big fail.
  • Posted: March 27, 2017 20:14

TwoPlusCute

Hahah, I have my share of epic fails but I laughed so hard at the expectations part of "award for turning the world of DIY around" - I can relate so much on that, lol! :D
    • Posted: March 28, 2017 09:44

:D Us girls can always dream :D
  • Posted: March 27, 2017 17:53

Ah that home shelf is beautiful and the swing a dream! You come up with genius ideas all the time Michelle, ALL THE TIME! That man curtain, another great one, seriously, how cool! And I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it lightweight soon enough! I had fun reading your post, lol, fails can be so much fun , hey??
    • Posted: March 28, 2017 09:45

Thanks so much my friend. I must admit I really enjoyed this one. We need to do more challenges like this
  • Posted: March 27, 2017 17:10

Mary-the boondocks blog

Not in a million years would I have come up with that idea Michelle. Had it worked you certainly would have been collecting the Oscar for DIY projects. It is an interesting idea for sure and maybe with the right materials, you can actually achieve it. Nothing like a good fail to wound your pride and put more determination in your mind! And you see, you found another purpose for those chains so it is not a total loss.
    • Posted: March 28, 2017 09:46

LOL Mary, I don't know about the Oscar, maybe a Golden Raspberry. But an award is an award ;-)
  • Posted: March 27, 2017 15:46

ana@carpe_diem

Your HOME shelf is my favorite, too! I agree with your saying - move by learning, that's it :) I have so many attempts that didn't even make it to the stage of "project", I have lost count. But I have learned on each one. Every new project is easier and shorter due to those lessons. have a great day!
    • Posted: March 27, 2017 16:11

You're so right Ana, it does get easier once you've figured out what works and what doesn't. Thank you so much for your lovely comment too