How to Make an African Snowman – IBC Christmas Challenge

It’s that time of the month again when blogging friends from around the world take part in the Int’l Bloggers Club. This month’s theme is all about Christmas crafts and how we spend the day in our countries. So for this challenge I thought I’d make us an African snowman. Meet Olaf’s cousin 😉

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

Isn’t he just the cutest thing ever? But before I get into how we made him, let me tell you little bit about how we spend Christmas in South Africa.

Christmas in South Africa

Down here in the Southern hemisphere it’s summer and hot as Hades, so the chance of us having a white Christmas is zero, unless it hails 😉 Since we seldom get snow in the northern parts of South Africa, we all go into a complete meltdown when it does happen. Shops close and everyone jumps in their cars and rushes off to do snowy things and maybe build a snowman. It’s chaos. So while we’ll probably never have a white Christmas, we will have braais (our local version of a bbq) and watermelons and pool parties. The kids will get burnt to a crisp and the adults will indulge in copious amounts of ice cold beer.

Most South Africans will go to church on Christmas morning before joining their friends and family for a full blown Christmas brunch around the pool. We normally serve a butterflied lamb that the hubby cooks to perfection on the braai and there’s always Malva Pudding Because our Christmas is spent outdoors our decorations tend to be “outdoorsy”. Is that even a word?  So our Christmas trees are real growing specimens and most of our ornaments are all hand made. After watching Frozen again the other day and I really wanted my very own Olaf to celebrate Christmas with us. I know, it’s kind of the impossible dream but hey, this is Africa and we love the impossible 😉

What You Need To Make an African Snowman

To make Olaf’s African cousin we used the following:

• A broken lamp base. You could also insert a threadbar into a piece of wood
  • Three different sized  faux topiary balls (small, medium and large)
  • Two extra large wiggly eyes
  • Twig from the garden
  • Small top hat
How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

What you need

And our African snowman probably took all of three minutes to make too.

Making An African Snowman

Slide the biggest faux ball onto the broken lamp and then add the second biggest. Grab two twigs and insert them on either side to make some arms.

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

Add the balls and twiggy arms

Glue those extra large wiggly eyes onto the smallest faux ball before sliding it onto the broken lamp.

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

Glue on the eyes

Squish on a twiggy nose.

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

Squish on the nose

And finally make him a top hat using an empty tin can and some craft foam. If you prefer you could also buy one of those little top hats from the toy store.

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

A little top hat

Once you’re done give Olaf’s cousin a big fat kiss, before moving your African snowman to his new home next to the pool 😉

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog #ChristmasCrafts

Hi, I'm Olaf's cousin and I like warm hugs too.Click To Tweet

I don’t think our little guy is going to melt anytime soon 😉 What do you think?

How to build an African snowman - full tutorial on the blog

Meet Olaf’s African cousin

I hope you enjoyed a little sneak peak into how we spend Christmas in South Africa and I’d love to hear how you celebrate in your part of the world. If you’d like to make one and don’t want to go to all that trouble of finding the materials to make your own African snowman, I’ve got you covered 😉 Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more crafty things to share with you 😉

Package of 6 Mini Black Felt Top Hats for Your Snowman, Doll, or Other Craft Project.
Package of 6 Extra Large Wiggly Eyes for Costumes, Crafts, Eye Bombs and Other Places You Need Really Big Eyes
Porpora 19 inch Decorative Artificial Flower Ball (Boxwood) for Home Décor, Weddings and other Special Events

So here’s wishing everyone a beautiful, safe and loving festive season and remember to pop on over to my international partners in crime to read all about there traditions.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Int'l Bloggers Club, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: January 6, 2017 16:13

Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled

This is super cute and a great way to continue winter after the holidays. Visiting from Sweet Inspiration party.
    • Posted: January 8, 2017 08:36

Yay Victoria, thanks for the visit :D
  • Posted: December 16, 2016 17:25

I like your snowman Michelle. Your fingers don't feeze while trying to make balls out of snow, and those eyes seem to give him life. I find it quite odd to celebrate Christmas around the pool, but I promise I'd love to go there and join the party. Wishing you a merry merry Christmas my friend.
    • Posted: December 18, 2016 09:11

Thank you sweet Pili. Hope you and your beautiful family have a wonderful Christmas too
  • Posted: December 16, 2016 15:01

Gina Soldano-Herrle

This is so fun! I can totally understand wanting your own Olaf. It's always amazed me how the southern hemisphere is a totally different season than the northern one. Up here we've already had bunches of snow. We get so much of it that unless it's accompanied by sub-zero temperatures things continue on as normal. Haha. :)
    • Posted: December 18, 2016 09:12

It is strange that on one planet we can have so many different seasons at the same time. I can't imagine a world where there's so much snow.
  • Posted: December 16, 2016 09:51

I wrote a comment, but it disappeared. Oh no, I have to write again. I really liked your green snowman, a very creative idea. You are reminding me the days when I was in South Africa. Yes, it is very hot in December.
    • Posted: December 16, 2016 12:12

Thank you Sadhna, December is probably our worst months, and if it's hot in Gauteng then Durbs is worse because of the humidity. Really glad you retyped your comment, thank you ;-)
  • Posted: December 16, 2016 09:28

Sarah - Craft Invaders

A warm Christmas by the pool sounds divine! I love Olaf and the hat tutorial - I've spent all week trying to make a giant snowman with an open mouth to catch balls for my son's Christmas Bazaar today, I suspect about now that there's a couple of hundred kids doing their best to break him (Frosty)!
    • Posted: December 16, 2016 12:10

Oh shame poor Frosty, I hope he comes home reasonably intact Sarah after the kids have had their fun
  • Posted: December 15, 2016 17:26

Jessica

There is a literal white out outside my window right now. I would much rather be hanging out somewhere with Olaf's cousin here than looking at all of this snow! This guy is super adorable!
    • Posted: December 16, 2016 06:42

Oh wow a real Olaf. Are they difficult to make?
  • Posted: December 15, 2016 13:52

Katerina Konstantinou

He is so cute and perfect! In Greece the snow is also very rare so he could be perfect for us!
    • Posted: December 15, 2016 16:46

Yay Katerina, I'm so glad we're not the only place where snow is a rare thing ;-)
  • Posted: December 13, 2016 22:29

Sarah Jean Althouse

You could almost take the eyes and hat off and use it as a spring/summer decoration too!
    • Posted: December 14, 2016 04:59

We might just do that Sarah ;-)
  • Posted: December 13, 2016 17:18

Marie from The Interior Frugalista

It is hard for me to wrap my brain around Christmas with swimming pools and bbq's while we sit in -30C temperatures with our cars plugged in so they start in the morning. Olaf's cousin is adorable and I'm sure has been quite a conversation piece in your neighborhood. Wishing you and yours a Merry South African Christmas!
    • Posted: December 14, 2016 04:58

It is quite weird how the north and south are so different. We're dying of heat and you guys are freezing. Thanks so much Marie, wishing you a beautiful warm and loving Christmas too
  • Posted: December 13, 2016 16:36

Natasha

Oh this is brilliant, I love this! - Tasha
    • Posted: December 13, 2016 16:39

Thank you so much Natasha ;-) Do you think that your pet snow balls can come for a play date?
  • Posted: December 13, 2016 13:35

stew

:) :) :) so cool..
    • Posted: December 13, 2016 15:58

Hello my old friend. I missed you. Thank you for coming to say hi again <3
  • Posted: December 12, 2016 20:00

Saartjie

Ek is mal oor jou sneeuman Michelle. Dis perfek. Ek soek ook een
    • Posted: December 13, 2016 06:48

Hi Saartjie, ek's so bly jy hou van Olaf se neefie ;-)
  • Posted: December 12, 2016 18:34

Michelle, your lovely traditions in Africa remind me of what my husband tells me about Christmas in Argentina, pool parties and so much fun! How different for me, the northern gal! I'd love to visit and spend it there with you, it must be amazing! Olaf's cousin is the BEST, I love the idea and now I'm off to watch frozen again as well!
    • Posted: December 13, 2016 06:49

Oh I wish you guys would come visit Katrin. Just imagine the fun we'd have :D
  • Posted: December 12, 2016 15:09

Michelle, it sounds like you have fun Christmas traditions around the pool. That's neat that everything shuts down when it snows; you're all taking the time to enjoy it while it lasts. Your Olaf is so awesome! What a great idea to use topiary to make a snowman. I'm sure he looks great beside the pool.
    • Posted: December 12, 2016 15:35

Thanks you my friend. It looks like Olaf might be leaving us for a while. He's going camping apparently ;-)
  • Posted: December 12, 2016 14:17

Mary-the boondocks blog

Aww Michelle, Olaf is such a cutie. And his hat makes him a proper gentleman! Wow it is so weird to me to read Christmas and swimming pools in the same sentence. I'm sure you will really enjoy yourselves and we all have the food in common. That is a given. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.
    • Posted: December 12, 2016 15:33

That's so true Mary. Isn't it strange how some things stay the same, doesn't matter what country you're in and others are so different. Enjoy your last Christmas in beautiful Greece