How To Tile a Patio Wall in a Day With Pebble Tiles

Don’t you just hate it when a builder does sloppy work?  We had a small sink installed on our patio at our little round house a few weeks ago and I wasn’t very happy with the finished look. Don’t get me wrong, the contractor knew how to do all the plumbing bits, but when it came to finishing things off, he didn’t have a clue. Look at this patio wall.

How to tile a patio wall to create interest and hide sloppy building mistakes - full tutorial on the blog

Yuck!!!

UGH!!! That’s just gross. This is our holiday home and when we’re there we spend a lot of time on the patio enjoying this view.

The beautiful view from the patio

The last thing I wanted was to get distracted by the mess the builder left behind.  I’m a bit anal when it comes to things like that.  We had two choice, get someone to fix the problem for us or do it ourselves.

How To Tile a Patio Wall In a Day

Not much of a choice really when you don’t have a lot of money so we went for the DIY option. We don’t have a tile cutter we decided to use pebble tiles.

One finger cannot lift a #pebbleClick To Tweet

They come in 30 cm x 30 cm sheets and there are about 50 pebbles stuck on to a sturdy mesh like backing, so it’s really easy to cut with a pair of scissor. Because the gaps between some of the pebbles are quite wide we used coarse mosaic adhesive to attach the tiles. I think they add some kind of sand to the mixture so it doesn’t crack or shrink as easily as non sanded grout would.

Supplies

We chose a dark grey adhesive to match the darkest colored pebble on the sheet and mixed it according to the instructions on the back of the packaging.

Mixing the adhesive

The mixture should look like creamy, thick butter.

Mix to a creamy consistency

Using a trowel we applied the adhesive evenly onto the rough, yucky patio wall and then squished the pebble tiles into the adhesive.

Trowel on and add the tiles

I found it easier to work in sections and to put a thicker layer of adhesive onto the wall. That way when you squish the pebble tiles on, the adhesive oozes through the mesh and it sits firmly. The best thing about using pebble tiles is you can just use a pair of scissors to cut it when it doesn’t quite fit into the space. Note to self: Please wear gloves the next time . I think I lost all my finger prints tiling the patio wall.

Use a scissors to trim

We just used the tile adhesive to fill in the gaps between the pebbles and then sponged off any excess. Lol, look at my hair. I really need to do something with it, every time we go down to the coast I end up looking like an upside down mop. Okay, wait, that’s not true. I always look like an upside down mop.

Fill the gaps and sponge off the excess

We didn’t buy enough tiles to go all the way around – it’s a budget thing, so I removed some of the pebbles from the mesh and made a hubby a big, fat heart just to remind him how much I love him. The adhesive works really well as a paint too 😀

Here's a happy fact. Penguins propose with a pebble 🙂Click To Tweet

Running out of tiles

Just for love

All in all it took me just over three hours on a beautiful Saturday morning to transform our patio from this…………………………..………………………………………………….. to this

How to tile a patio wall to create interest and hide sloppy building mistakes. Pebble tiles - full tutorial on the blog #DIYTiling #DIYHome #Patio

Don’t you just love that face? It’s from an old fountain.

How to tile a patio wall to create interest and hide sloppy building mistakes. Pebble tiles are so easy to use #DIYTiling #DIYHome #Patio

And some plants to soften up the look a little.

How to tile a patio wall to create interest and hide sloppy building mistakes. Pebble tiles are so easy to use - full tutorial on the blog #DIYTiling #DIYHome #Patio

Our seashell collection found a home in the old rusty pot.

Seashell mulch

We filled our pot plants with succulents. They’re such rewarding plants, drought tolerant and almost maintenance free.

A collection of suculents

Okay so I lost my finger prints somewhere on that wall, but I really think it was worth every second. I’d love to hear what you think about the patio wall makeover? Were pebble tiles the right choice?

How to tile a patio wall in a day to create interest and hide sloppy building mistakes Pebble tiles are so easy to use #DIYTiling #DIYHome #Patio

Pinny Please

If you’d like to make something similar, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more crafty ideas to share with you 😉

Pebble Tile Round Top Classic, 11 1/2' x 11 1/2' (.918 sq. ft. per piece), Green/Black/Tan
Sale Whole House Worlds The Farm Fair GARDEN Galvanized Zinc Planters, Set of 3, Rectangle Containers, Vintage Style, Green Rusty Patina, Raised Oval Logo, 15 ¾, 14 1/4, and 13 Inches Long, By
Unique Cast Iron Woman Bird Wall Plaque

Sending love and blessing as always

Categories:   Home Decor Crafts, Our Round House

Comments

• Posted: April 5, 2018 12:37

SMartin

I love this it's really beautiful and not to be negative but what's with the head over the fireplace
    • Posted: April 5, 2018 13:56

😉 I love that head. It used to be part of a water feature, I think, and it seemed to fit above the fireplace. Thanks so much for your your great comment. I really appreciate it so much
  • Posted: May 21, 2017 07:04

Yeu Doi

Great tips! They all look great, especially the heart shaped area. Well done!
    • Posted: May 21, 2017 07:58

• Posted: May 20, 2017 19:53

Megha

Great job and it looks fantastic now.
    • Posted: May 22, 2017 05:49

• Posted: May 20, 2017 18:08

Tiara

I've never even thought about tiling a patio wall. I am the least bit of crafty. I suck at anything DIY. However, I enjoy looking through all your DIY. You're so crafty ;)
    • Posted: May 21, 2017 07:59

Thank you so much Tiara, I just really enjoy making things ;-)
  • Posted: May 20, 2017 16:33

Gennifer Rose

I love this decor style! I hope one day to own my own house so I can do fun DIY projects like this. Your steps make it look so simple and easy. Also, love the penguin quote. So cute! Gennifer Rose | www.GenniferRose.com
    • Posted: May 21, 2017 08:00

I hope you get that house of your real soon Gennifer, it so much fun and rewarding if you can do some of the things yourself.
  • Posted: May 20, 2017 10:36

Mehmet Zorlu

Absolutely Fantastic, I am definately going to try this in my patio this weekend.
    • Posted: May 20, 2017 12:14

Oh that's so great Mehmet. Let me know how it goes
  • Posted: May 20, 2017 07:26

E H

Wow, I am so impressed with your skills! The wall you have created looks amazing! I am impressed it has taken only 1 day - awesome!
    • Posted: May 20, 2017 08:01

Oh yay, thank you so much. It's actually really easy to do. Just remember to wear gloves ;-)
  • Posted: May 20, 2017 06:19

Saidat

Who would have thought that pebbles could make a wall look so amazing? Your patio looks good and modern.
    • Posted: May 20, 2017 08:00

Thank you so much Saidat. I really love using the pebble tiles for quick tiling projects
  • Posted: May 19, 2017 13:59

Nati

Oh, wow! you've done a great job! it looks absolutely perfect now!
    • Posted: May 19, 2017 14:07

Thank you Nati, now it's a real space. No more eewwwww stuff to spoil the view
  • Posted: May 18, 2017 19:21

Odette

You've done such a great job on your patio wall, it looks like it's been done by professionals. Also the heart is such a cute touch.
    • Posted: May 19, 2017 06:44

Thank you Odette, the whole space just feels so much different now
  • Posted: May 18, 2017 18:27

Tina

It turned out very nice! Those new tile sheets make these type of diy projects so much easier. I love the addition of the succulents - those are my favorite plants :)
    • Posted: May 19, 2017 06:42

I love using the tile sheets and they've got the most amazing colors now too
  • Posted: May 18, 2017 18:25

Jennifer

This is really beautiful work! My mom and my husband would both love your tile patio wall tutorial. They enjoy DIY projects like this. Great work!
    • Posted: May 19, 2017 06:41

Thanks so much Jennifer, it's always so great to have a DIYer in the family
  • Posted: May 18, 2017 13:22

Candy Rachelle

That's actually pretty cool! You did a great job! And I'm loving the succulents!
    • Posted: May 18, 2017 13:42

Thanks so much Candy. They are such wonderful plants. We're only lucky enough to go to the holiday 3 or 4 times a year and they still thrive
  • Posted: November 5, 2016 05:22

Laura Gaudet

Hi Michelle, I think it all turned out amazing! It doesn't even look like the same patio! You did a fantastic job. Like you, I love doing these kinds of crafts, it spruces the area up and changes the appearance. We could have so much fun together if we lived closer. lol a job well done girl!!!
    • Posted: November 5, 2016 07:12

Soooo glad you like it Laura and thank you for the lovely comment. It would be lovely if we could craft all day and get our hands dirty
  • Posted: October 29, 2016 07:23

Michelle, you did a wonderful job with the tiles, it doesn't look the same space! The views from there are lovely, what a gift to be able to see all that green and the sea. The heart is such a beautiful detail too, it will not only represent how much you love your husband but that you do things with your heart. By the way, your hair looks nice! It's beachy style so trendy now
    • Posted: October 29, 2016 10:49

Oh Pili, thank you so much. What a beautiful thing to say <3
  • Posted: October 25, 2016 14:00

Sarah Jean

I can't believe you did this in a day, Michelle. It changes the whole look!
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 14:58

It does, and it probably took a morning rather than a day, but I needed to fit some beer time in there ;-) Thanks for coming to say hi Sarah
  • Posted: October 25, 2016 07:46

Danielle Le Chat

Michelle, this is incredible! I should have you come over to my house and help me with some of my tiling! :) Love it x
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 10:45

Deal, I'll bring the beer and some gloves ;-) Thanks Dani
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 21:47

I think it turned out great! I love the big heart too! You did a fabulous job! The pebble tile is the kind that I am wanting to put on our shower floor when we get to the retiling the shower. Love your large planters!
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 06:28

Thanks so much Linda. The pebbles work really well in a shower, we did the same thing in ours and it feels so lovely under your feet.
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 18:27

Michelle, you are so genius! Your patio wall looks gorgeous now, I love it! I had no clue it was so easy to do it, the pebbles on the mesh are great! And the heart is so precious, what a great idea and the adhesive looks great just like that around it! Your view is stunning, enjoy your beautiful patio friend!!!
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 06:29

Thank you Katrin ;-) Time for you to come visit so we can enjoy the view together and make lots of crafty things
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 17:28

Mary-the boondocks blog

Michelle, I am so glad you lost your fingerprints. That is so beautiful. It creates a visual interest and looks so much better. Of course, the mask/face in the background above the fireplace is the real marvel. But This balances the area. Wonderfully done and now you have to go and look for your fingerprints. Maybe they snuck inside when they saw that you weren't wearing any gloves.
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 06:31

Lol Mary, I don't think I'll ever find them again ;-)
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 16:11

Michelle, wow!!!!! This looks amazing!! You really transformed this fountain to be a beautiful focal point of the patio! The heart was a sweet touch! Those pebbles look so cool! I really want to try covering something with pebble tiles now, don't know where, but they're too neat to not think of something right?! Sorry you lost your fingerprints but on the bright side look at the sink, gorgeous!! ;)
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 06:34

Awww thank you Keri. They really are so easy to use and you get them in such lovely colors, just remember to wear gloves ;-)
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 15:10

Hi Michelle: This project makes a huge difference. Before it looked so builders grade average, now it has style. Nice.
    • Posted: October 25, 2016 06:34

Hey Fairy lady, thanks so much, I'm really happy with how it turned out