Make a 3D Picture Puzzle from Wood Off Cuts – DIY

Who doesn’t love a quick and easy home decor project? This DIY 3D picture puzzle using pallet off cuts took less than an hour to make and it can be customized to suit any decor and style.
Eight square off cuts can make a simple yet stylish 3D block puzzle that fits any kind of home decor. Full tutorial on the blog

Something to look at from all sides

We used off cuts from our little stock pile out back. Well it’s not really so little anymore, it seems to be growing at an alarming rate so I might just end up making a whole bunch of these. All you need are eight square pieces. If you don’t have any square bits lying around, just use what you’ve got and cut them to size.

Paint eight square off cuts to make a simple yet stylish 3D picture puzzle that fits any kind of home decor

Paint eight square off cuts

Paint or stain the wood squares in a color that matches your decor. I went for black because it such an easy color to use and it goes with everything.  While you’re waiting for the paint to dry print out your images. I found a whole bunch of vintage fruit prints over at The Graphics Fairy that were perfect. All I had to do was resize them and make them square using paint.net or any other photo editor you’re familiar with. You can also use old photos or pictures from a magazine, it’s entirely up to you. In total you’ll need six square images.

I carefully tore around the edges of the pictures to add some character and then cut each picture into four and Modged them onto the squares. Just be careful not to muddle the pictures up.

Print and modge the picture

And as they say in the classics “Th-th-that’s all, folks!” Don’t you love Looney tunes 😉

Easy Home Decor

Those pretty leaves in the background are from our Tapeworm plant. So unusual and off beat. She’s a leaf-less plant with these long flat stems that resemble tapeworms. In Winter she makes these teeny tiny little greenish white flowers and she’s surprisingly drought tolerant. Her leaves always look so pretty in a vase and I thought she made the perfect back drop for our 3D, vintage fruit puzzle piece. What picture would you use on your puzzle? I’m thinking I’ll do a family photo album 3D puzzle with some of the other off-cuts. It could make a really nice gift.

Hope you all have a beautiful, creative week and stay safe.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Pallet Hacks, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: September 7, 2017 12:44

What a fun idea! I love this. Now I want to go cut a bunch of blocks from my tiny wood pile that is dwindling instead of growing. 😉 I have some really small wood blocks, but I love the larger ones. I want to make one for the guest room, and one for my grandbaby. Which isn't a baby anymore. She's 2 1/2. But she would probably have fun with it. Thanks for sharing your 3D blocks! Now I have all kinds of things swirling in my head. I'm getting dizzy. Lol
    • Posted: September 7, 2017 14:47

:D LOL Linda, not too dizzy I hope. I hear you have some celebrating to do too. Congrats on your Christmas feature, I'm sooooo happy for you
  • Posted: October 12, 2016 08:09

Those look awesome Michelle!! I have some wooden blocks waiting for some inspiration and you gave me an idea!! Thanks so much!
    • Posted: October 12, 2016 11:16

Glad you like them Pili :D I can't wait to see what you do with you off cuts
  • Posted: October 11, 2016 15:05

Sarah Jean

Love the look of this! I would never be able to come up with something like this. You are so clever at thinking outside the box.
    • Posted: October 11, 2016 16:02

Thank you so much Sarah ;-) but I have to disagree. Your site is amazing for real, good old fashioned advice. I love the things you post <3
  • Posted: October 11, 2016 05:17

Oh my, these are so cute Michelle, I love wooden puzzles and the possibilities are endless here! The vintage fruits look so nice and I agree with Keri, you got me thinking, I have some blocks and lovely photos....
    • Posted: October 11, 2016 07:22

So glad you like them Katrin. With your drawing a painting skills yours will look amazing
  • Posted: October 10, 2016 18:55

Mary-the boondocks blog

What a great idea,Michelle. They look really pretty and I love your choice of colors. The black is one of my favorites too and it looks great paired with the green.
    • Posted: October 11, 2016 07:17

Thanks so much Mary. They're so much fun to make too.
  • Posted: October 10, 2016 15:07

Michelle, this is such an awesome idea!! I like the way you tore the edges of the pictures to give it character. I have blocks like this that I have cut from scrap 2x4s that I could do this with. Thanks for the inspiration! Family photos on the blocks would be so cool too!
    • Posted: October 10, 2016 15:14

Awwww thank you Keri. Very good friends of ours have just shown us their engagement shoot. OMW the photos are stunning. I'm definitely going to make them a 3D picture puzzle to celebrate their amazingly loving relationship