Fall Inspired Napkin Rings – Quick and Easy DIY

Do you need an inexpensive way to spruce up your table decor for fall? These rustic napkin rings might just thing. They’re super easy to make from stuff you probably already have at home and in the garden.

Quick and easy fall napkin rings using toilet rolls, string and seeds

All dressed up for the party

All you need are a few empty toilet rolls, string or twine and seed pods from the garden. If you can’t find pods you can use whatever you have, dried flowers, leaves, shells, beads or even ribbons.

Pods, Toilet Rolls and String can be used to make some lovely fall inspired napkin rings

Pods, Toilet Rolls and String

We cut our toilet rolls into 4 cm (1.5″) pieces, but you can make them as wide or as narrow as you’d like.  Paint the inside of the rolls with Mod Podge or glue to seal them and make them a bit stronger. Once the inside has dried paint the outside and wrap the string or twine  around the roll. We used this really hairy string, which gave the serviette rings such a beautiful texture and I found I didn’t have to be too neat with the edges. As long as the string is wrapped reasonably close together.

Cut into ring and add string to the napkin rings

Cut and glue on the string

Clamp the string to prevent it from jumping up while you wait for the glue to dry and glue on the seed pod.

Clamp and add a pod to the fall napkin rings

Clamp and add a pod

We had to make a whole bunch of these for a big party recently and because they’re so easy to put together, it only took an afternoon and we were done.

Cut into ring and add string to the napkin rings

Loads of napkin rings

Add the serviettes or napkins and you’re ready to go.

Quick and easy fall napkin rings using toilet rolls, string and seeds

Quick and easy

Quick and easy fall napkin rings using toilet rolls, string and seeds

Fall inspired napkin rings

Go on, put your favorite pumpkin dish in the oven, open an ice cold beer or pour yourself a glass of wine and relax with friends and family. Take some time to watch the North wind blow the fading leaves around and soak up the last warm, lazy days of copper sunshine.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: October 2, 2016 12:20

Kimclark

These napkins rings are so cool! That's a great idea, thanks so much for sharing.
    • Posted: October 2, 2016 16:50

• Posted: September 28, 2016 17:37

Ana

Just throw away every empty toilet rolls before seeing your post. You make me think again Michelle. Ok, empty toilet rolls now have place in my plan :) Thanks a lot.
    • Posted: September 29, 2016 06:23

Hey Ana, thanks so much. They do come in really handy. I've got a whole bunch in the garage if you need some ;-)
  • Posted: September 27, 2016 09:50

Kevin E. Brown

Hi Michelle. I'm a huge fan of DIY stuffs and your ideas blow my mind. Those napkin rings are really cute and lovely. What matters is they are easy to make. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    • Posted: September 27, 2016 10:44

Wow, thank you so much Kevin, I really appreciate that.
  • Posted: September 22, 2016 14:06

Michelle, those napkin rings are lovely!! So cool you used the pods as an ornament for them, even they are rustic with the twine, they look great with those modern napkins. I need to remember the little details for my next party, thanks for the inspiration!!
    • Posted: September 22, 2016 15:20

Thanks so much Pili ;-)
  • Posted: September 6, 2016 16:31

Mary-the boondocks blog

Michelle, I know you made these for me! I have a ton of paper rolls at home, trying to be eco-friendly. And I love, love, love fall ! Also, I am the "twine" lady. Thank you, I will be expecting a package from you. ;)
    • Posted: September 8, 2016 06:51

Lol Mary, it's in the post ;-)
  • Posted: September 6, 2016 15:15

Just WOW! These are beyond adorable Michelle, I love them, the rustic look for fall, aww, just perfect! How clever to use toilet rolls and cover them with the twine! Are those anis stars on them??
    • Posted: September 8, 2016 07:21

Thank you so much Katrin and you're right, those are anis stars. It's such a pretty seedpod, so unusual and it's got such a distinctive flavor. A few years ago I was lucky enough to spend a few weeks in India and fell in love with all the dishes they made using star anise. They call it chakra phool, which if I remember correctly means wheel flower, such a lovely name.
  • Posted: September 6, 2016 14:31

Michelle, these napkins rings are so cool!! What a great idea to use toilet paper rolls. They look awesome after your creative updo on them! Those seed pods give it such a beautiful and unique look.
    • Posted: September 8, 2016 07:28

Thank you Keri, I love those pods, they were just perfect for the napkin holders