A Room Divider Becomes a Bedside Feature – DIY

When I saw this gorgeous room divider at a second hand shop in Pretoria I just knew we would be able to re-purpose it into something special. Look at the beautiful scroll work and it was going for an absolute bargain.

Lovely old room divider DIY tutorial #DIYHomeDecor #DIYTutorial #DIYHome #RoomDivider #Repurposed

Lovely old room divider

I initially thought I’d use it as a headboard for our little house by the sea, but changed my mind when I saw these copper candle holders on sale. The beautiful cut outs on the candle holders seemed to echo the scroll work on the room dividers.

Copper candle holders

Copper candle holders

My two random finds seemed destined to be together. We started off by converting the candle holders into lights. The only light fitting I could find were white and clashed horribly with the copper.

Spraying the light fittings

Spraying the light fittings

So we stuffed some tissue paper inside to protect the working bits and sprayed them to match.

Waiting for the paint to dry

Waiting for the paint to dry

We removed the very sticky labels with some thinners and then used this awesome step drill bit to make a hole in the bottom of the candle holder.

Mark and drill the holes

Mark and drill the holes

Hubby had to file away some of the rough edges before he attached the light fitting. Snug as a bug 🙂

Attaching the light fitting

Attaching the light fitting

Once the light was done, we tackled the room divider. We removed all the hinges and cut the legs off. Taking the hinges off was the most difficult part of the whole project.

Unscrew the hinges and cut off the legs

Unscrew the hinges and cut off the legs

The room divider had been painted with white chalk painted and sealed with clear wax, but I wanted them to look a little more antiquey so I added some dark wax over the original paint job. The panel on the right has been stained and you can see the slight difference in color, it’s a little more toned down.

Staining the panels from the room divider

Staining the panels

I found some plain white, wooden brackets which I sanded a little to distress and then applied dark wax in places to match the room dividers. We drilled a hole at the top of the bracket and another one in the room divider to fit the wire for the copper lamps..

Drilling holes for the light

Drilling holes for the light

We used wax paper and a Sharpie to mark where the holes should go for the brackets and drilled two screws into the divider to hang them.

Figuring out where to make the holes

Figuring out where to make the holes

We pushed the electrical cord through the hole in the divider and the bracket and stuck the wire down using our glue gun.

Wire her up and glue her down

Wire her up and glue her down

This is where I started doing a happy dance, she’s sooooooooo pretty!!!!!

A room divider becomes a bedside feature DIY tutorial #DIYHomeDecor #DIYTutorial #DIYHome #RoomDivider #Repurposed

The lights are up

We propped the room dividers behind our bedside tables and plugged those beautiful lights in.

A room divider becomes a bedside feature - DIY tutorial DIY tutorial #DIYHomeDecor #DIYTutorial #DIYHome #RoomDivider #Repurposed

I love how they turned out and yes, I keep all my old teddies 😎

What do you think of the wooden skull? My mom says it’s creepy, but I think it’s awesome.

And our beautiful Cleo seems to approve.

Our beautiful purr baby Cleo

I’d love to hear what you think. Does it work for you? I still have one piece of the room divider left. I’m thinking it will make an awesome cupboard door or something like that? How would you re-purpose it?

Oh and don’t forget to Pin for later.

If you’d like to make one and don’t want to go to all that trouble of finding the materials, I’ve got you covered 😉 Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us feed our beautiful fur babies

MyGift Whitewashed Wood 3 Panel Screen, Folding Louvered Room Divider
Sale TIMBUKTOO MOSQUITO NETS Luxury Mosquito NET - for Single to King Size Beds Quick and Easy Installation System - Unique Internal Loop - 2 Entries - Ripstop Stuff Sack - No Added Chemicals.
Sale Cotton Craft Kamal The Lotus Antique White 4 Panel Handcrafted Wood Room Divider Screen 72x80, Intricately carved on both sides making it fully reversible, highly versatile. Hides clutter, adds dÃcor

Just a quick update. I finally got round to doing something with that other piece of the room divider.  It’s now part of an awesome pallet headboard 😉

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Furniture Hacks, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts, Trash to Treasure

Comments

• Posted: April 18, 2018 13:44

Maxine

Use the middle piece for a statement piece in the living ro0m above your couch. With the legs off, my original idea of using the legs for a partial frame for your initial changed. With the legs on you could have used a curved version of your initial, but without legs I believe the plain letter would be better.
    • Posted: April 23, 2018 15:31

That's such a lovely idea Maxine. Thank you very much 💕
  • Posted: September 12, 2017 15:26

Gerry

I love this idea and as for the third panel, I would have used it on it's side in the middle of the other 2 panels to take the place of the head board. I don't have one for my guest bed and this would work great. Thank you so much for the idea. Now I will be on the look-out for a room divider.
    • Posted: September 12, 2017 15:57

Wow Gerry, you must have been sending secret signals some how. We just this weekend, used the left over panel to make a headboard. That's quite freaky and I absolutely love you idea. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate that so much
  • Posted: June 14, 2017 11:54

Aarsun Woods

Designs in Room Divider are looks great!!! We are the manufacturers of Wooden Room Dividers handmade by craftsman in India. One can order it and get it delivered at home worldwide - AarsunWoods.com
    • Posted: June 14, 2017 13:09

Oh I have to go have a look at that. We struggle to find beautiful ones here. Thank you
  • Posted: May 22, 2017 12:55

They are super cute! I have a room divider I don't use anymore and I know it would be perfect for this project. On my to do list. Love them Michelle!
    • Posted: May 22, 2017 13:03

Hey, that was quick. Thanks so much Carolann, I'd love to see what you do with yours
  • Posted: August 29, 2016 11:25

What a great way to reuse the divider, very clever! I don't think it's creepy I all. I think it looks very pretty with the light hanging down in front. You and the hubby did a fantastic job. Love it!
    • Posted: August 30, 2016 15:23

Thank you Linda <3 My mom's not a big fan of skulls so when she comes to stay we pack it away, so she doesn't stress.
  • Posted: August 29, 2016 10:01

Sarah - Craft Invaders

What a beautiful old screen - love what you have done with it - the room looks so relaxing and beautiful. I think a cupboard door would be wonderful for the last piece, or something in the garden?
    • Posted: August 29, 2016 10:42

Thank you Sarah. A friend of ours has asked us to make her a craft cupboard from the left over piece, but I agree with you it would look stunning in the garden too
  • Posted: July 8, 2016 14:38

Coco

What an amazing way to upcycle this divider! In a million years, I would have never thought to use them this way. They're gorgeous! Hope your weekend is a fun one, CoCo
    • Posted: July 11, 2016 06:49

Oh my word Coco, thank you so much. Love, love, love what you do at The Crowned Goat.
  • Posted: July 7, 2016 17:10

Anonymous

That definitely works for me. It ties together so nicely!
    • Posted: July 8, 2016 07:44

• Posted: July 6, 2016 15:59

Jill

So adorable! I adore DIY projects. LOVE your take on this... you can do so many things with room dividers! FUN!
    • Posted: July 7, 2016 07:37

Thanks Jill :-)
  • Posted: July 6, 2016 12:55

Michelle, I love what you did with the room dividers!! They look great on either side of the bed with those pretty light hanging in front. I'm sure you'll find an amazing way to use the other divider!
    • Posted: July 7, 2016 07:37

Thank you Keri, I love the difference it's made to our bedroom.
  • Posted: July 5, 2016 19:39

Hannah | Eat, Drink, and Save Money

You are so creative! I love how well this came together. I never would have thought to do this.
    • Posted: July 7, 2016 07:42

• Posted: July 5, 2016 07:29

They look awesome!! Love when you are able to think out of the box and find another use for something that is made with a specific purpose. The lanterns are gorgeous too!
    • Posted: July 5, 2016 08:13

• Posted: July 4, 2016 21:05

Mary-the boondocks blog

Michelle this is gorgeous. Actually, the word does not do it justice. I love the intricate work of the panels and how you combined them so well with the lights. The neutral colors that you used only serve to highlight the beautiful texture even more. And the net is so pretty in the room, creating a soft look. Pinning.
    • Posted: July 5, 2016 08:13

• Posted: July 4, 2016 19:47

How clever, it's so so unique and super pretty! I love the idea and having it beside your bed on each side is so cool! Wow! Love that scull too!!!
    • Posted: July 11, 2016 07:05

Thanks Katrin and I agree with you, I love that wooden scull, so pretty and it's perfect for hanging up my fake jewelry.
  • Posted: July 3, 2016 07:27

Maya

Oh my Gosh! This is jaw-dropping gorgeous! I love the quality it has given the room and much better than its original function!
    • Posted: July 3, 2016 08:14

Thank you sooo much Maya. They've made such a difference in the bedroom.
  • Posted: July 2, 2016 15:00

Anonymous

This is so beautiful and the teddies are adorable. Glad to see someone else also keeps them.
    • Posted: July 2, 2016 15:11