Recycle a Cupboard Door into a Charging Station

With all the mobile devices we have in the house we really needed to find a way to organized all those cables and keep our counter tidy and free of charging clutter. Fortunately we had two old kitchen cupboard doors lying around in the garage just begging for an up cycle.

A old kitchen cupboard door becomes a charging station

What we used to make the charging station

We grabbed one of the doors, some chicken wire and wire hangers and we were ready for some serious recycling action. The first thing we did was remove the hinges and make that kitchen cupboard pretty.

Remove the hinges

Remove the hinges

We gave the cupboard door a good wipe and made a reverse decal using this image from the Graphics Fairy and printed it on some DC fix.  We cut the decal and then slapped it on and sprayed the door using Rustoleum’s Satin Heirloom White General Purpose spray paint.  You can get the full tutorial on how we made our own decal here – it was really easy.

Revealing the graphics

Giving the door some love and little bit of paint

Making the Wire Basket

Once the door was all pretty we made a wire basket using the chicken wire and hangers, which we cut and straightened.

Cut off the hanging bits

Cut off the hanging bits and straighten

We bent two of the hangers around a square pallet block to form a basic frame for the wire basket.

Use a block of wood to bend the wire

Use a block of wood to bend the wire

We had to strip our hangers because they were coated in this plastic stuff that prevents them from rusting.

Cut two and remove the plastic coating

Cut two and remove the plastic coating

To make the actual basket we used the wire frames as a template and cut the chicken wire as shown below. You need really sharp wire cutters and gloves are a must. Chicken wire hurts and tends to snag on everything. When cutting the chicken wire make sure to leave a little bit of extra wire on the sides.

Making the basket template

Making the basket template

Once the wire had been cut we inserted one of the cut hangers in “what will become the bottom of the basket” and folded each side over making sure that all the sides were reasonably straight. Using the chicken wire as a “grid” I counted up five and a half eyes (I don’t have any idea what to call the holes but I figured if it has anything to do with chickens then there must be eyes involved) and inserted the second cut hanger.

Inserting the Frame

Inserting the top and bottom “hanger” frame

Using blunt nose pliers I joined the sides by weaving the extra bits together and cutting off any sharp edges. I did the same with the wire to connect the top frame.

Folding over the tops and sides

Connecting the tops and sides

We used one of our kindles to measure how wide the basket should be and added 7 cm for luck and then cut off any extra bits.

Cut the basket to size

Cut the basket to size

To attached the basket we simply marked where the basket should go and drilled four holes into the cupboard door. We pushed the frame of the basket through the door and bent the wires at the back.

Measure where the basket needs to go on the charging station

Measure where the basket needs to go

Push the basket through and bend the wires

Push the basket through and bend the wires at the back of the door

I added one extra bit of wire at the top to make the basket a little more stable and then we inserted the charging cables. Whoo, whoo they fit 🙂

Insert the charging cables through the basket

Insert the charging cables

To hang the charging station I used one of the hinges that we’d removed earlier and some twine.

Hang the Charging station using the old hinge

Hang the charging station using the old hinge

Ta da………. No more messy, tangled counter tops, well except for the extra bits you see in the photo. Come on I had to make it look artistic and fit for a magazine layout 😀

Old cupboard door recycled as a charging station - full tutorial on the blog

Old cupboard door recycled as a charging station

Seriously though, I rather like our new charging station. Quick, easy and I only have three stab wounds from the chicken wire. I would love to know what you think.

Categories:   Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: October 31, 2017 12:17

Rena Christodoulou

I like it very much and I 'll try to make one.
    • Posted: October 31, 2017 13:07

Thanks so much Rena 😀
  • Posted: September 14, 2017 20:14

What a cool looking charging station! Love the way you painted the board, and the graphic. Perfect choice for the charging station. I really like the basket, very clever. I may have to give that a try, I do have chicken wire. One more for my list, LOL.
    • Posted: September 15, 2017 13:33

Thank you my friend, I really appreciate that
  • Posted: June 28, 2016 10:40

Louisa Wobbe

I absolutely love it, what a fantastic idea!!! Going to try and make one as well
    • Posted: June 28, 2016 15:42

Whoop, whoop, stunning. I still have one cupboard door if you need a starting point :-)
  • Posted: June 21, 2016 16:42

Michelle - Happy Heart™

All I can say is AWESOME...I love this charging station!!! I thought I was the only person without a Cricut or Silhouette machine…lol!!! So cool..thanks!!!
    • Posted: June 22, 2016 07:17

They're so expensive, I really wish I could afford one. Thanks for stopping by and coming to say Hi :-)
  • Posted: June 20, 2016 19:55

Mary-the boondocks blog

What a great repurpose of some old boards Michelle. I love this idea it is so rustic and the chicken wire is "all the money" as we greeks say. Of course what makes it perfect is the stencil!
    • Posted: June 21, 2016 08:35

• Posted: June 20, 2016 16:36

Anonymous

It looks so cool. Really like how you used one of the hinges to hang it up. Pretty inventive and really nice repurposing or upcycling (I never know what the difference is :-( )
    • Posted: June 20, 2016 17:26

Lol, I don't either. Thank you for coming to say hi Anon :-)
  • Posted: June 7, 2016 10:47

Michelle, this charging station is very cool! I like how you were able to make your own wire basket. The photo looks great! ;)
    • Posted: June 7, 2016 13:55

Thanks Keri :-) That basket attacked me every chance it got but I'm glad to say I finally got it under control and the charging station has made such a difference to our counter space. Now I have more space for other clutter, lol!!
  • Posted: June 5, 2016 15:45

Anonymous

Beautiful transformation of a boring old door into a charging station and thanks for the tips on how to make a stencil. I really needed that.
    • Posted: June 5, 2016 15:56

Glad you like it and the reverse stencil tips :-) Wishing you many happy hours painting over your own custom decals <3 Share some pics please, I'd love to see what you've done.
  • Posted: June 5, 2016 13:10

DIY Charging Station - Reader Feature - The Graphics Fairy

[…] you, Michelle, for sharing this today! To see her other projects and a full tutorial, visit her blog. To learn how to transfer images yourself, visit the Transfer Methods […]
    • Posted: June 5, 2016 15:41

Thank you for the old telephone graphic Graphics Fairy :D it was perfect for the recycle and all the beautiful fonts you share. You ROCK!!!!!