How to Turn a Branch into a Towel Rack

When you’re revamping on a budget you need to count every penny, or try to anyway 🙂 We were really pretty strict on how we spent our money and tried to follow some ground rules – don’t buy something if you can make it. And if you can’t make it always pay cash. I only broke the rules once and went completely bonkers when I bought a silver Moroccan basin for our upstairs bathroom on our credit card. Silly me, but in my defense it’s abSoooooLutly gorgeous. So after my slip up we had to compromise a little. The cash now went to paying off the credit card instead of getting those bathroom accessories that were on sale. Bummer 🙁 So we reverted to rule number one and made this towel rack from an old branch.

How to make a towel rack from a branch. Quick and Easy Home Decor #DIYHomeDecor #DIYTutorial

How to Make a Branch Towel Rack

We found a beautifully curved branch in our wood stash and some curtain accessories. You only need the bits you screw into the wall that keep the curtain rod up.

A branch and curtain accessories

A branch and curtain accessories

We cut the branch down a little and removed the side growths.

Cut the branch according to the size you want

Cut the branch according to the size you want

I used a blunt knife to deflake the branch. The bark was quite rough and I didn’t want it to hook the towels. Man it’s not easy deflaking a branch and those little side twigs hurt, but when you’re feeling a little guilty then you have to persevere. Once all the bark had been removed I took some sand paper and sanded any left over rough bits. It took quite a bit of sanding (more punishment) until it was nice a smooth and I had to saw off a few more knobs and bumps as I went along.

Use a blunt knife to deflake and sand

Deflake and sand the branch

Once we were happy we stained and sealed the branch with a exterior wood sealer. Such a pretty colour don’t you think?

Stain and seal the branch

Stain and seal the branch

To hang the towel rack we cut the ends off of the curtain accessories with a hacksaw.

USe a hack saw to cut the curtain accessory

Cut the curtain accessory

What you should be left with

The cut up curtain accessory

We used the spikey bit of the cut up curtain accessory to figure out what size drill bit we needed and drilled two holes on either end of the branch.

Check that the accessory fits snugly in the branch

Check that the accessory fits snugly

To hang the towel rack we simply measured where we wanted to hang the rack and then attached the cut up curtain accessories to the wall. .

Hanging the towel rack

We found it easier to mount the curtain accessories first before attaching the towel rack – there was just more space for the drill and screw driver. The towel rack was a bit wobbly on the one side, so we put some Gorilla glue in the hole and then reattach the towel rack.

That’s it – an inexpensive, one of a kind towel rack to make up for a very expensive, but oh soooooo gorgeous impulse buy. Let me know what you think and if you like the idea don’t forget to share.

Pinny Please

Oh before I forget, if you don’t want to go to all the trouble to find what we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: Clicking on the links below, means we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us come up with more amazing ideas to share with you 😉

AmazonBasics Ceiling-Mount Bracket, Set of 2, Bronze
Sale FYRONDY Stainless steel Wardrobe Pipe, Closet Lever Support Rod Holder Socket Bracket (1-1/4 INCH)
Rustic Wood & Metal Wall Mounted Towel Bar/Hanging Rod Unit For Modular Storage Racks

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts, Our Round House

Comments

• Posted: December 17, 2017 02:29

Diena Cameron

Oh this is gorgeous Michelle, really gorgeous ! I once saw in a Indian owned and themed Hotel a towel rack that was so similar but was made out of wrought iron and I couldn't get that out of my mind for months !! I went online to try and find them (to buy of course, i am no blacksmith, lol) but at that time there was no Pinterest, no blogs, no DIY blogs so I was in a state of depression over those darn towel racks. But many years later, there are many wrought iron suppliers and large companies like Moen and others that all have something similar to what was in my mind now that I am "over" that look but you have just brought it back like I was hit by a freight train !! Now I will have to be on the lookout for the perfect branch ! Thank you, now I can't wait for my next walk on the beach 😁
    • Posted: December 17, 2017 04:23

Oh wow, that Indian hotel sounds way ahead of its time Diena. Thank goodness we now have access to all these wonderful blogs and Pinterest too and I'm real glad the towel rack brought back some good memories for you. Enjoy that walk on the beach and I hope you find the most beautiful piece of driftwood that you can use to make your own.
  • Posted: September 28, 2016 21:41

Ilka

Michelle - this is such a great nature inspired rustic look!
    • Posted: September 29, 2016 06:46

Thanks so much Ilka, I love our little branch towel rack ;-)
  • Posted: August 22, 2016 18:44

Hena Tayeb

that's brilliant. what a great idea.
    • Posted: August 23, 2016 07:17

Awww thank you Hena
  • Posted: August 17, 2016 20:52

Love your towel rack, it is beautiful! We bought some new bathroom accessories for two of the bathrooms, and yes they are soooo expensive. I am thinking of making my own for our bathroom when we get back to the makeover. I have a couple ideas for a towel rack. If at all possible I love making things myself. It's less expensive and better made.
    • Posted: August 18, 2016 08:36

I agree Linda, the price of bathroom accessories is crazy. Can't wait to see what you do with your towel racks ;-)
  • Posted: August 17, 2016 18:11

Erin - Suburban Simplicity

Love how easy and original this project is! Rustic decor is so in right now! Guests will love it!
    • Posted: August 20, 2016 06:36

Your so right Erin, we've had so many people commenting about the towel rack when they come visit and I can't believe how easy it was to make.
  • Posted: June 22, 2016 09:59

stew

I appreciate such... Thanks God for this blog, now I'm confused on how I want my bathroom designed. :) Lovely.....
    • Posted: June 22, 2016 11:06

Thank you Stew, I'm sure your bathroom will turn out beautifully, looking at all your beautiful photos you've definitely got the artistic touch.
  • Posted: June 5, 2016 15:50

Anonymous

Brilliant!
    • Posted: June 5, 2016 15:51

:D
  • Posted: June 3, 2016 17:55

Sweet Inspiration #9 : Hello June! - KreativK

[…] love this beautiful and unique idea from A Crafty Mix to help staying on a budget in such a pretty […]
    • Posted: June 5, 2016 07:57

• Posted: June 3, 2016 17:38

Michelle - Happy Heart™(Made)

I love elements of nature to decorate with in homes…beautifully crafted and perfect to set the mood to relax!!!
  • Posted: June 3, 2016 14:58

Repurposing Junkie | Sweet Inspiration Link Party #9 - Repurposing Junkie

• Posted: June 3, 2016 10:42

Mary-the boondocks blog

Beautifully done Michelle and you have something that is one of a kind in your home. Your guests will come to your bathroom and ohhh and ahhh over it.
    • Posted: June 3, 2016 11:24

• Posted: May 31, 2016 16:02

Michelle, love this towel rack!! I think being frugal really brings out creativity because you end up using what you have and a lot of times it's 20 times better than something you could buy at a store, such as your towel rack. It's seriously awesome!!
    • Posted: June 1, 2016 07:01

You are so right Keri, but darn that silver Moroccan basin was just so beautiful. Oh well, every basin has it's silver lining and I'm really glad how the towel rack turned out. See you at the Sweet Inspiration Party :-)
  • Posted: May 28, 2016 20:51

This is the most beautiful towel rack! I try to never use the credit card, it's so tempting but it adds up fast, hey? I'm glad though you had to come up with this idea in order to stay on budget, because it's genius! Love it and I will now have to look for a curved branch as well! Pinned!
    • Posted: May 29, 2016 08:32

Danke schön Katrin :-) Credit cards must be one of the worst inventions ever, I leave mine at home now, it's safer that way.