Broken Bits can be Saved

I was cleaning out my craft cupboard the other day. Well trying to any way, and came across some bits of pottery that I’d been saving up for a mosaic project. I  have no idea what happened. Some of the pieces had cracked (I probably didn’t bake them long enough) and others had broken. One little piece even had some glue all over it  🙁 I had to find a way to either give them a new lease of life or chuck them.

How to turn bits of broken pottery can be turned into a statue

Bits of broken pottery

I’m a  bit of a hoarder so the thought of throwing them away only lasted about a millisecond 8)  A few of the bits looked like they could make an interesting something. So I grabbed some felt, wire, glue and a pallet block from the craft cupboard and abandoned my clean up effort. Does that happen to you too? It seems my head is always floating around in some creative nebulous where the clean up fairies don’t live.

How to turn bits of broken pottery can be turned into a statue

A pallet block, pottery bits, felt and wire

Okay to onto the something. I traced the outline of the pottery bits onto the felt and cut out the shapes. They needed to be trimmed slightly to make them a bit smaller than the piece of pottery. Using Gorilla glue I stuck a wire and the felt shape on to the back of each of the pottery bits.

How to turn bits of broken pottery can be turned into a statue

Position the wire and stick down the felt

Once the glue had dried, I played around, moving the wired pottery bits until they looked right. I used the basic design principle of odd numbers to try create a more dynamic layout and add visual interest. Often the easiest but most powerful layouts use one strong visual combined with the same alignment and consistent use of color. I decided to make the larger broken face the focal point, and then balance the whole layout with the cracked hearts and smaller faces. When I was happy I cut the wire shorter and hubby sanded the pallet block for me and gave it a coat of clear wax to seal.

How to turn bits of broken pottery can be turned into a statue

Plan the layout and sand the pallet block

We drilled 5 small holes in the pallet block and pushed the wired pottery bits into the holes. I had to trim the wires a bit and moves things around until everything looked a bit more balanced.

The raw pallet block fits the general color scheme and adds a bit of rough simplicity to the statue thing. Once we had the right look I took the wired bits out, put a small drop of glue on the bottom of the wire and pushed them into their holes again. I’m quite happy with how it turned out. The Floating Heads statue makes a really nice statement in our lounge.

How to turn bits of broken pottery can be turned into a statue

Broken bits of pottery become a Floating Head Statue

I would love to know what you think? Have you made a work of art using broken bits?

P.S. I’ve come to the conclusion that craft cupboards are dangerous. There are just so many interesting bits in there waiting to be re-purposed and there’s never enough time to do it.

Categories:   Art by Mix, Home Decor Crafts, Pallet Hacks

Comments

• Posted: December 5, 2017 07:27

gigi

I absolutely love this!! Just beautiful! It is a complete piece on its own!
    • Posted: December 5, 2017 13:15

Thanks so very much Gigi ;)
  • Posted: September 14, 2017 20:20

Oh I get side tracked all the time. It's a wonder I get anything done. ;) I love this idea, fun way to use up broken bits, and pieces. Very creative!
    • Posted: September 15, 2017 04:59

:D LOL, thanks Linda. It looks like it's a common problem with creatives
  • Posted: January 4, 2017 09:41

This floating head statue looks awesome, you did a real creative work. If I buy something similar from the shop, it will cost a lot of money. Creative brains can produce a creative work like this
    • Posted: January 4, 2017 11:44

Awww thank you Sadhna, glad you like it
  • Posted: January 4, 2017 03:40

Kellie

Yes I get side tracked too. And wow, you came up with that just on the fly. How in the world do you do that? Nicely done.
    • Posted: January 4, 2017 06:13

Thanks Kellie, I think I'm a bit of a scatter brain at the best of times ;-)
  • Posted: June 30, 2016 12:54

What a great idea, Michelle!! It looks lovely and it's a wonderful way to recycle broken or lonely pieces.
    • Posted: June 30, 2016 14:07

Thank you so much :-) I'm really glad I could do something creative with the bits and pieces, I hate throwing things away.
  • Posted: May 22, 2016 14:05

Mary-the boondocks blog

Michelle. I am a hoarder too and try not to throw anything away (this is starting to become a problem.) But what you did here! Wow! Wow Wow! I love anything that can be turned into art and am such a huge fan of personal art that speaks to us. You have my respect on this one ,and on the other posts as well but this one is special. Thaks for linking up with us.
    • Posted: May 22, 2016 14:47

Thank you Mary :-) Love the hosts at Sweet Inspiration, you are all so talented and very real. Thank you for a very special Linkup Party <3
  • Posted: May 18, 2016 13:32

Michele, this is really awesome! Nice job being able to save the pieces of broken pottery. Love the piece you created.
    • Posted: May 19, 2016 08:01

Thank you Keri for all your thoughtful comments, love and support. It means so much to me and I love, love visiting Repurposing Junkie for my weekly inspiration.