Grain Bin Makeover

Some flea market finds are just begging for a complete makeover, like this bent and battered grain bin that we picked up for an absolute bargain a few weeks ago. She had definitely seen better days.

Battered and bruised grain storage

Battered and bruised grain storage

And oh my word you should have seen the spiders!! We gently nudged them out and watched as they ran off to explore our garden and then we gave the bin a good wash with sugar soap. Joe couldn’t wait to get in and make sure that all the spiders had gone.

Joe making sure the grain bin is free of spiders

Joe making sure the grain bin is free of spiders

That’s my Joe always willing to help out 8) We taped off the inside of the grain bin and gave the outside two coats of Rust-Oleum Satin Heirloom White spray paint.  I found some beautiful vintage images at The Graphics Fairy and transferred the images to the lid and front of the bin using Ghiant Transfer Spray. This stuff is awesome, just spray it on the back of any printed image, wait 10 minutes for it to dry and trace. Carbon paper in a spray can!! Wow, what more can a DIY girl ask for? Except maybe a few less grey hairs and long pretty nails. I’d really, really love long pretty nails. Oh well back to the grain bin makeover. Once the image had been transferred all I needed to do was colour in the lines using a permanent marker. It’s that easy 🙂

Transferring the makeover image

Transferring the image

The grain bin is just the right size for storing our fur baby’s food and we don’t have to worry about the kitties stealing food at all hours of the morning (it’s really scary hearing a bag of dog food being dragged across the kitchen floor at 3 o’clock in the morning!)

Extra storage

Extra storage

I love how the grain bin turned out and the vintage graphics are perfect. Thank you Graphics Fairy <3

The finished makeover

The finished makeover

Have you got any extreme makeovers you’re really proud of? I’d love to hear about them.

P.S. We’re off to a Sweet Inspiration Party, why don’t you come join us for some awesome makeovers, recipes and a whole lot more?

Sweet inspiration

Sweet Inspiration Link up Party

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: May 7, 2016 18:57

joan

this is such a great makeover. Hope to try it myself. Where can you purchase the transfer spray in the US?
    • Posted: May 8, 2016 04:36

Glad you liked the makeover Joan. I'm not sure where to buy the transfer spray in the States but I found this link on Amazon in the UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghiant/pages/3287165031), perhaps they'll ship to the States? Hope you come right.
  • Posted: May 7, 2016 13:10

Upcycled French Bin - Reader Feature - The Graphics Fairy

[…] food – what a great idea! Thank you, Michelle, for sharing this today! You can see her full tutorial on her blog. To learn how to transfer images yourself, visit the Transfer Methods […]
    • Posted: May 7, 2016 16:35

Thank you for the feature Graphics Fairy.
  • Posted: May 1, 2016 16:45

Laurie

This is really nicely done! The graphics are perfect and I appreciate the tips on the transfer spray - who knew? Pinning :)
    • Posted: May 3, 2016 07:30

The transfer spray is amazing and it really goes a loooong way. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such nice comments.
  • Posted: April 24, 2016 21:59

Isn't it fun when you go into a flea market and find something others consider trash but you see the potential? You did a wonderful job with this bin, Michelle!! Those graphics from Karen are awesome, and I didn't know about the Transfer Spray, it is really cool!! Thanks so much for sharing at Sweet Inspiration!
  • Posted: April 22, 2016 23:18

Mary - The Boondocks Blog

What a great transformation Michelle, we have to take care of our fur babies. They love us so much and ask for so little in return. I hope you are able to drop by and link up this lovely post over at Sweet Inspiration.
    • Posted: April 23, 2016 08:25

Hi Mary, I'll be there!! Really love all the beautiful ideas everyone shares. See you at the party.
      • Posted: April 26, 2016 10:33

Mary - The Boondocks Blog

Thank you Michelle, for dropping by and adding your lovely makeover to our party.
        • Posted: April 26, 2016 16:19

• Posted: April 20, 2016 02:08

Michelle, this grain bin makeover is lovely!! I bet your cat loves the new storage for her food! The Graphics Fairy has some pretty cool printables! You did a great job on this!!
    • Posted: April 20, 2016 09:38

I agree the Graphics Fairy is the best. P.S I love what you did with the Light Fixture <3