Making a Desert Fairy Garden

We had so much fun making this little desert fairy garden, I wanted to share “how we did it” with you.

Desert fairy garden #Desert #Fairygarden

If you look carefully you might just see them peeking out the front door

The inspiration for the desert fairy garden was this humble little wooden tissue holder.

A humble tissue holder

A humble tissue holder

We built a roof for the tissue box out of hardboard and cut two windows and a door using our Dremel.  We stripped the bark off of some logs we had lying around and used silicone glue to clad the outside of the tissue box.  Thin strips of wood were cut into small shingles which we sealed with a matte outdoor wood sealer. All the little shingles were stuck down and then we finished the top of the roof off with a piece of pewter.

Cladding the desert fairy house with bits of bark

Cladding the house with bits of bark and adding a porch

We even added solar power. Our little desert fairy is determined to live off the grid 🙂 Hubby dismantled a solar garden light for me and we built the solar panel into the roof. I love watching the light go on every night. I’m a mother hen when it comes to the fairies, I need to know they’re home safe.

Solar power is the way to go

Solar power is the way to go

Too protect the desert fairies and give them a little place to enjoy the glorious desert sunsets we made a porch for the front of the house using two twigs as supports and hardboard covered in shingles for the roof.  A tiny porch swing completes the look.

Desert fairy garden #Desert #Fairygarden

Close up of the porch

We heard that the nights can become quite chilly in the deserts so we added a chimney which we made out of hardboard and crushed rocks. We topped the chimney with a piece of a broken lantern.

Crushed rocks for the chimney

A chimney made from hardboard and crushed rocks

Unfortunately the house is a little bit small for an en suite bathroom 😎 so when nature calls our desert fairy has to use an outhouse. We scored pewter to mimic corrugated iron and stuck it on with silicon glue. The long drop is block of wood with  hole drilled through which we stained to match the shingle roof. The little sign above the door is a scrap book sticker that’s been framed with twigs and a mosaic tile inside the outhouse is the perfect mirror.

Making the outhouse

Making the outhouse

Desert fairy garden from an old tissue box and the tutorial is really cool #Outhouse #FairyGarden

Isn’t it just too cute

We planted succulents and cacti in a half a wine barrel and added some coarse sand and the desert fairy garden was ready for the fairies to move in.

Desert fairy garden #Desert #Fairygarden

Looks like the desert fairy has moved in

Desert fairy garden from an old tissue box and the tutorial is really cool #Desert #FairyGarden

I love their transport, I’ve always wanted a Citroen.

Our little desert fairy house

Our little desert fairy house

Looks like they had some rain.

As the sun goes down over the garden

As the sun goes down over the garden

Hubby made the teeny little water pump using copper pipe and wire for the desert fairy garden. So adorable. I love watching little people’s faces when they see the garden for the first time. We put incense sticks inside the chimney and the smoke curling up just makes it all seem so real. Let me know what you think and don’t forget to pin if you like it.

Desert fairy garden from an old tissue box and the tutorial is really cool #FairyGarden #Repurpose #TissueBox

Pinny Please

We used the same kind of tissue box to make a little fairy church for my Aunt too. What have you used to make a fairy garden?

If you’re looking for more fairy accessories, I’ve got you covered 😉 Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and our fairies will send some fairy dust your way too 😉

Rustic Barrel Planter Set
Dovewill Unfinished Wood Tissue Box Holder Natural Wooden Box Cover Home Decoration
Home Fashion Polyresin Brown Fairy Door 4'inch For Garden Decoration

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Fairy Garden Crafts

Comments

• Posted: August 1, 2017 18:53

Is it possible that I had missed one of your masterpieces? Another adorable idea. I think everything looks better in mini form and this is no exception. The crowning touch has to be the broomstick. Even in our fantasy land we still have work to do. ;)
    • Posted: August 2, 2017 11:43

LOL, yes even fairies have to sweep ;-)
  • Posted: February 14, 2017 14:46

Maureen

Have to share with my students who are making succulent fairy gardens at the library
    • Posted: February 14, 2017 15:24

Oh that's so awesome Maureen. Thank you. Do you have any fotos of their projects. I would so love to see or even a facebook page. Please?
  • Posted: August 24, 2016 18:05

Sarah - Craft Invaders

This fairy garden is adorable Michelle - I love the desert theme, and the detail on the house and outhouse is wonderful, you have definitely given us lots of inspiration. We have one fairy house which we made in a gourd, but have just decided the fairies need another!
    • Posted: August 25, 2016 07:43

Oh I saw your gourd fairy pics on the web Sarah, it's beyond adorable. That little bed, wow. P.S.If anyone's reading the comments you have got to go have a looksee here http://craftinvaders.co.uk/gourd-fairy-house/
  • Posted: August 21, 2016 20:55

Jean Quintana

So cute! Who doesn't love miniatures!
    • Posted: August 22, 2016 08:43

Yay for miniatures!! Thanks for coming to say hi Jean ;-)
  • Posted: June 20, 2016 12:55

Charity

I have been wanting to do this for a long time! Thanks for the inspiration! Lucky little fairies you have! #BestIdeaEver
    • Posted: June 20, 2016 13:06

Aawww thank you Charity, they are so much fun to make. I would love to see some of your pics when you get round to making yours. Sending you lots of fairy hugs
  • Posted: May 29, 2016 15:08

Anonymous

Aawwwwwww this is the most adorable fairy garden I have ever seen!
    • Posted: May 30, 2016 07:25

• Posted: May 6, 2016 14:54

Beth Patterson

I saw this on Instagram and had to come get a closer look! It is wonderful!
    • Posted: May 6, 2016 15:27

Awesomeness a visitor from Instagram, I'm doing the happy dance!! Thank you Beth.
  • Posted: May 1, 2016 18:39

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage

Michelle, This is adorable! I love miniatures and I've wanted a fairy garden, but don't live in the desert. But the details on this are amazing. Great job!
    • Posted: May 3, 2016 07:27

Thanks for the lovely comment Carol. Hubby and I love spending making them.
  • Posted: April 20, 2016 09:22

Anonymous

Awesome, awesome. Jewell is right the attention to detail is amazing.
    • Posted: April 20, 2016 09:40

• Posted: April 16, 2016 07:05

Hi Keri, just wanted to say THANK YOU so very much. Loved my first party and all the beautiful projects. Totally awesome!!
  • Posted: April 11, 2016 06:04

Jewell Martin

I've already commented on this adorable Desert Fairy Garden, but I just had to add that your attention to the smallest details is amazing. This would have been a well-planned real cabin. When I was a child, there was always a Sears Roebuck catalog to read and use in the outhouse. Sometimes mail advertisements or newspaper was stacked up. And there was always a shelf or a big nail to put things you didn't want to drop in the hole. The fanciest outhouse I ever saw had a bench with two holes, a board removed near the top to allow ventilation, and a small table to hold belongings. But no toilet paper!
    • Posted: April 11, 2016 12:35

Thank you Jewell <3 I better check the outhouse, I think the fairies may have run out of toilet paper too!!
  • Posted: April 9, 2016 20:40

I am speechless! When I first saw the tissue box I didn't know what it had to do with your fairy garden, and then realized! I love everything of your fairy garden!! My daughters and I made a little fairy house and enjoyed so much, we were planning on doing something else. Pinning for future reference!! Thank you so much for linking up with us at #sweetinspiration party, hope to see you again next week. Happy Saturday!
    • Posted: April 10, 2016 11:10

Thank you for coming to say hi Pili <3 We really enjoy making them - absolutely the best way to see things from a different perspective - the smallest things can become something else. Please share some photos of the fairy garden you did with your daughter, I would love to see some them.
  • Posted: April 8, 2016 17:02

Michelle, you and your husband did such an awesome job on this fairy desert garden!! Love all the details!! This is too, too cute!!
    • Posted: April 9, 2016 07:44

Thank you Keri, we had so much fun doing it.
      • Posted: April 10, 2016 15:22

Hey Michelle, thanks for sharing at the new party, Sweet Inspirations!! I also just want to say again how cute this is!! Love it!