I Love Our HOME Shelf and How to Make your Own

I love our HOME shelf that we made from pallets and it all started with the question. What does it really mean when they say home is where the heart is? I don’t know about you but for me it’s all about the little things; a rose my daughter picked for me in the garden, my son’s cheeky smile, a candlelight dinner under the stars, our fur babies, a good book and laughter. Without the little things a house can never be a home.

A house is made of walls & beams. A home is made of love & dreamsClick To Tweet

Our pallet HOME shelf which we made last weekend is the perfect place to display some of those special things.

Make your own "Home" shelf. Full tutorial on the blog with detailed instructions

Our “Home” shelf

The original HOME Shelf for all those special keepsakes. Full plans and step by step instructions #DIyHomedecor

The shelf was inspired by the beautiful LOVE shelf that’s all over pinterest. I’m sure you seen it?  Stunning hey? We drew up the plans and started cutting up some pallets.

What you need to make the HOME shelf

What you need

Here’s how we made it.

How to Make a HOME Shelf From Pallets

You’ll need pallet pieces that are at least 13 cm wide to fit all those little momentos.  Cut one long 80 cm (31 1/2 inches) piece to form the backbone of the shelf and then cut and sand:

For the H

• 1 x 20 cm (8 inches)
  • 1 x 15 cm (5 7/8 inches)

For the O

• 2 x 17 cm (6 3/4 inches)
  • 1 x 16 cm (6 1/4 inches)

For the M

• 1 x 20 cm (8 inches)
  • 2 x 11 cm cut at 45 degrees (4 3/8 inches)

For the E

• 2 x 17 cm (6 3/4 inches)
  • 1 x 10 cm (3 7/8 inches)
All the bits have been cut to make the HOME shelf

All the bits have been cut

To put the shelf together start at the bottom with the E. Use a pneumatic staple gun and wood glue to attach one of the 17 cm pieces at 90 degrees to the bottom of the 80 cm piece, then measure up 9.5 cm and attach the 10 cm piece. Make a mark 20 cm from the bottom and staple the last 17 cm in place. For the O create a U shape using the two 17 cm pieces as the sides and the 16 cm piece as the bottom. Measure 20 cm from the top of the 80 cm backbone, dab some wood glue on the ends and use the staple gun to attach the O to the backbone.

Making the O and the E for the HOME shelf

Making the O and the E

Now the H and the M. The M scared us a little. I think it’s those 45 degree angles so we left it for last. The H was pretty straight forward. Attach the 15 cm piece to the middle of the 20 cm piece to form a top heavy T shape then attach the H to the backbone so that the top of the H is flush with the top of the backbone.

Glue and staple the two 11 cm pieces together to form a V shape. Attach the V shape to the backbone where the bottom of the O joins the backbone. Sit back and smile because that wasn’t as bad as we thought. In all honesty that was pretty darn easy 😀 Do a victory dance around the garden, consider having a beer to celebrate. Come back down to earth and attach the last 20 cm piece. Go get a beer and grab the fur babies so they can see how we conquered angles.

Making the H and the M for the HOME shelf

Making the H and the M

Time to Make The HOME Shelf Pretty

We used a dark wood stain and then painted over the whole shelf with Annie Sloan Old White.

Stain and chalk paint the home shelf

Stain and chalk paint the shelf

Finally we used 100 grit sandpaper to lightly distress the shelf before sealing it with clear wax.

Distressing and sanding

Distressing and sanding

I’m really happy with how it turned out. What do you think?

All things considered those angles make it worth it!! Yup, no angle will ever get me down again. Okay maybe they will 😉

Special memories on our HOME Shelf #DIyHomedecor

Special memories

The little HOME shelf and our suitcase themed dresser makeover are probably my two most favorite things that we’ve made so far.

Special memories on our HOME Shelf #DIyHomedecor

A rose for Mommy

Now our little HOME shelf is a gentle reminder of all the things we hold close to our hearts. Where do you keep your special memories and little keepsakes?

If you like the idea don’t forget to pin it for later.

Pinny Please

Oh and before I forget, to save you the trouble of trying to find some of the things we used I’ve added some affiliate links below. Disclosure: If you click on the links, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry, it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us make more crafty things 😉

Brownlow Gifts Small Wall Vase, Home Sweet Home
Sale Gorilla Wood Glue, 8 ounce Bottle
Generic Galvanized Metal 3D Letter M,Grey Metal

Until next time, I hope you have a beautiful, love filled week.

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Our Round House, Pallet Hacks

Comments

• Posted: September 19, 2018 16:26

Whatever you make my friend is perfect!!! I love your shelves and I think it looks perfect on your wall :)
    • Posted: September 19, 2018 17:38

😍 Awwww Christina thank you so much for that. I still need to work on those angles but I'm real happy with how the HOME shelf turned out
  • Posted: September 14, 2018 12:29

Nicholasa

Hi. That shelf is very cute. My question is: how does shelf attach itself to wall? Thanks
    • Posted: September 14, 2018 12:58

Hey Nicolasa, thanks so much for reaching out. The shelf is attached with zig zag hooks also called saw tooth picture hangers. One behind the H one on the E.
  • Posted: September 9, 2018 14:19

Patti

How crafty! Love love love this and the finish is really nice. Think I'll give it a try!!
    • Posted: September 10, 2018 05:21

Thank you so much Patti. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense and I would love to see a picture when you've made yours
  • Posted: July 2, 2018 22:29

Nate

How did you end up mounting it to the wall?
    • Posted: July 3, 2018 12:34

Hi Nate, we used those zigzaggy hanging things. I believe they're called Saw Tooth Picture Hangers. There's one behind the cross bit on the H and another one on the top bar of the E
  • Posted: February 15, 2018 05:29

Sam - Raggedy Bits

Your home shelf is so amazing and creative Michelle!! And I love how you have distressed it as well! Brilliant!!
    • Posted: February 15, 2018 12:13

Thank you Sam, it's still one of my all time favorite projects
  • Posted: February 15, 2018 04:54

Janine

Oh, Michelle, this is so clever and so pretty! I love it!!!
    • Posted: February 15, 2018 12:13

• Posted: June 22, 2017 12:17

I am flipping out over this one! OMG Love it. You guys are so super talented. I'm so inspired by you. <3
    • Posted: June 22, 2017 14:31

Ahhhh Carolann, thank you. The little HOME shelf is one of those truly special DIY things we did. I'm really so glad I could get my head around those angles
  • Posted: June 21, 2017 15:09

Donna

Love it! How to hang?
    • Posted: June 21, 2017 15:51

Thank you Donna. We hung the shelf using those zigzag picture frame hooks. I hope that's the right word for them. Let me know if it makes sense please
  • Posted: January 25, 2017 16:24

Chrinstine

Hola! I've been following your site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita TX! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work!
    • Posted: January 26, 2017 06:30

Hello Christine from Texas, thank you so much for the shout out.
  • Posted: January 4, 2017 15:26

Angie ~ ambient wares

Michelle, this is fantastic! I think I know some people I could make these for and they would just love it!
    • Posted: January 4, 2017 16:15

They work like a charm Angie. We had some friends around this weekend and they all want one.
  • Posted: December 4, 2016 01:56

jammie Harper

Okay, so I just cut all these pieces and the shelf is awesome but its much smaller than it seems in the pictures. I may try it again and double all the measurements. I really like how it seems to take up a good piece of the wall in the pictures. Thanks for the idea. My first pallet project!
    • Posted: December 4, 2016 06:08

Awesomeness Jammie. I'm so glad it worked for you and congrats on your first pallet project. Wishing you many more ;-)
  • Posted: October 27, 2016 19:35

What an awesome shelf Michelle! I am loving it! You are so creative, and always coming up with something unique and awesome! I love the rustic look of the shelf.
    • Posted: October 28, 2016 04:55

Aww Linda, thank you so much.
  • Posted: July 21, 2016 06:03

‘Home’ Shelf – unikatissima's

[…] took me some time to see why the shelf is called ‘home’ shelf […]
  • Posted: June 9, 2016 22:47

Mike Egloff

The pictures seem to be a much larger shelf then the dimensions listed unless the area mounted is not a full wall. If so what are the larger dims.
    • Posted: June 10, 2016 15:50

Hi Mike, the area we've hung the shelf is a odd little alcove (I think that's the right word, it's a small kind of cut out in an existing wall). The measurements are correct as far as I remember but if you find something odd please let me know. When I built the shelf I worked on 20 cm (just under 8 inches) per letter but I'm sure you can make it bigger or smaller depending on your space. Hope it helps, if not let me know and I'll measure again or try explain a bit better.
  • Posted: April 17, 2016 21:08

Christine

Awesome! I love it!...Christine
    • Posted: April 5, 2018 15:35

• Posted: April 17, 2016 19:45

Dishing It & Digging It Link Party #92 - New House New Home

[…] HOME Shelf by A Crafty Mix I thought this was so clever and creative! […]
  • Posted: April 14, 2016 22:37

Christine

ok, stop the presses. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Love that you spelled the word home with your shelf. #geniusidea! So glad you shared this, beautiful job.
    • Posted: April 15, 2016 07:03

Lol!!! Thanks Christine <3
  • Posted: April 11, 2016 19:34

Lori

What a cool shelf!! You have some neat projects! Would love for you to share some at our link party! http://www.thestonybrookhouse.com/2016/04/dishing-it-digging-it-link-party-91.html
    • Posted: April 13, 2016 06:28

Oh Wow!! Thank you for the invite. I'm off to have a Dishing It and Digging It party :-)
  • Posted: April 9, 2016 17:37

Mary - The Boondocks Blog

What an amazing blog you have Michelle. Why have I not been here before? Truly unique work with lots of repurposing going on here. I'm subscribing! Michelle, I along with Keri and some other friends are hosting a link party and we would be honored if you would link up your creations with us over at Sweet Inspiration.
    • Posted: April 10, 2016 11:12

Wow, what an awesome comment from someone who inspires me on a regular basis. Thank you Mary
  • Posted: April 9, 2016 11:02

Blogger Girl

love it so much! I want it!! Thank you so much for sharing! I'd love it if you would check out my blog: sweetyummygoodies.blogspot.com ! Thank you! <3
    • Posted: April 9, 2016 15:06

I'll swop you a shelf for those delicious chocolate strawberries and crepes?
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 23:46

Anonymous

Love it! And so gonna make this. Excellent project for those little keepsakes that get lost on a larger shelf. :)
    • Posted: April 5, 2018 15:35

• Posted: April 4, 2016 17:51

chris aka monkey

love it, love it, love it, made my heart all squishy xx
    • Posted: April 5, 2016 04:59

Mwah, squishy hearts are good :-)
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 15:11

Sandra K. Salisbury

YOU ARE SO CLEVER!! I hadn't seen the shelves on Pinterest so I had to check them out. Yours has them all beat, hands down!! I want one now! I just drug home a solid maple, Early American style end table from the 1960's. It will be a small patio table after a cleaning and a paint job. My husband see's my vision for that one, but, when I come dragging a pallet home I'm pretty sure he'll have to think really hard to get this one! I can't let that stop me, I really love your incredibly creative shelf! I'm looking forward to seeing your next project! Thanks for sharing!
    • Posted: April 4, 2016 17:11

Lol, my hubby does the same. Can't wait to see how your end table turns out. Thank you for your lovely comment and coming to say hi <3
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 13:25

Pat Canan

How do you attach it to the wall? Love it but can't figure out how to attach. Please help!
    • Posted: April 4, 2016 14:13

Hi Pat, thank you so much for stopping by. We were originally going to use bracket to hang it up, one under the H and one in the O, but it's hanging on two nails. If you zoom in on the first pic you can see what looks like a little black dot under the the roses on the H, that's the one nail and the other one is in the corner where the M and the O meet. I'm pretty sure you could also use those zig zaggy things you find on the back of frames.
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 04:44

Michelle, this home shelf is awesome!!!! Love your creativity!! I also love the special things you've placed on the shelf. How amazingly wonderful!! :)
    • Posted: April 4, 2016 07:13