A Pool Noodle Bed for a Fur Baby Princess

So we figured out that a pool noodle can be more than just a floating device, it also makes an awesome headrest. And by we, I mean the “royal we” aka Lulu Belle, my daughter’s little sausage dog cross.

Meet Lulu Belle

Meet Lulu Belle

How can anyone say no to those eyes? Well this little princess needed a new bed because our other puppy Zia ate her old one 🙁 so we made her one using some knotty pine Shiplap cladding, brackets and a pool noodle.

What you need to make a pool noodle bed

What you need

What you need to make a pool noodle bed

• Shiplap cladding enough to cut:
    • 6 pieces 50 cm (19 6/8″) long
    • 6 pieces 38 cm (14 7/8″) long
    • 5 pieces 40 cm (15 7/8″) long
  • 18 corner brackets
  • saw, drill and screws
  • Spray paint
  • 1 Pool noodle cut in half

For the bed frame we cut the Shiplap cladding according to the sizes above  and joined three 50 cm pieces together to form the long sides and three 38 cm to form the shorter sides of the bed. Shiplap is so easy to work with. It has a groove cut into one edge and a tongue on the other edge. To join one board to the other all you do is slide the tongue into the groove.  Seriously!!

Cutting the wood to make the crate

Cutting the wood to make the crate

Once the sides were done we used brackets to attach the sides together to form a crate and then added the 40 cm pieces to the bottom, leaving gaps between the cladding to make it easier to clean.

Put it all together using brackets

Put it all together using brackets

We sprayed the bed frame a yummy blue, added some test using a silver Sharpie and made a big, puffy patch work pillow to fit.

Spray the frame add a pillow and let Lulu test it out

Spray the crate add a pillow and let Lulu test it out

Lulu seems to like the bed 🙂 But we weren’t done yet.

Add a crown for the little princess and the pool noodle

Add a crown for the little princess and the pool noodle

To make sure everyone knows this is a bed is meant for royalty we transferred a beautiful crown graphic from  the Graphics Fairy  to the sides and for added comfort we made a small slit lengthwise in the pool noodle and squished them onto the shorter sides. Now our only problem is that someone else in the family thinks they’re a princess.

Merlin takes over

Merlin takes over

Merlin has taken over the bed he ain’t going nowhere.

Go away mom, I'm not moving

Go away mom, I’m not moving

Oh well, it was one of the easiest projects we’ve made so I guess we’ll just have to make Lulu another one 😎

50 x 38

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: July 6, 2016 02:45

Laurie Brennan

What a fantastic idea! I can also see this being a practical way to make a toy box more "kid friendly". My granddaughter is always running into corners of furniture
    • Posted: July 7, 2016 07:42

Ouch, yes that would definitely work. Thanks for coming to say Hi Laurie :-)
  • Posted: May 29, 2016 15:11

Anonymous

I think it's very pretty. Just a question, don't your dogs chew the noodle?
    • Posted: May 30, 2016 07:27

Good question. Fortunately Lulu is way past the chewing stage and the bed is way too small for Zia, who chews everything, lol!
  • Posted: May 8, 2016 04:03

Candy Walsh

I am making two beds right now for our fur babies using wooden crates. I just knocked two of the slats of of one side so they can get into them easier. One is a small Yorkie, Bella, and the other is a Beagle, Scout~I love the noodle idea and I think I'll put these on mine! Scout especially likes to rest her head on something, but Bella is so little she probably couldn't reach it. Maybe that's how they'll know whose bed is whose! Thanks for the great idea!
    • Posted: May 8, 2016 04:29

Thanks for stopping by Candy. Your idea of taking slats out on one of the sides is brilliant and I'm sure Bella and Scout are going to love their beds. Give them a hug from me.
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 22:15

Katharine

So cute! Well I guess the new one needs to say Merlin on it. Then it will be interesting to see who sleeps in whos bed.
    • Posted: April 5, 2016 09:11

Lol, knowing Merlin he'll want both :-)
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 16:52

Debbie

What a wonderful bed for a beautiful princess! My girl will love it. I decided to make one after seeing your post on Hometalk.
    • Posted: April 4, 2016 17:12

Stunning Debbie, share your pics when your done. I would love to see how it turns out :-)
  • Posted: April 4, 2016 07:34