Revamped Office Storage – From Boring to WOW

Large companies are always changing their furniture and you can often get their old stuff for a bargain. The only problem is it usually looks like old office furniture with no character. Hubby got this boring little set of drawers for free when the bank that he worked for decided to re-decorate their offices.

Boring office storage

Boring office storage

Not pretty but very functional and perfect for storing all his tools in the man cave. I could probably just have painted it, but it would still scream “boring office storage” with those handles.

A life without challenges would be boringClick To Tweet

Now I don’t know if you remember all those license plates I bought at the China Mall? Yup, we’ve already used some to make a light for Calin’s bedroom, but I have lots more.  Some of the number plates have this gorgeous rusty look that I wanted to try reproduce using some left over Annie Sloan Old White and Graphite Chalk Paint we have lying around. And they would be perfect to hide those handles 😎

Gorgeous rusty look

Gorgeous rusty look

To create a rusty look I started off by painting the drawers and the storage unit in Graphite. Once the paint is dry, apply random streaks of Metallic paint all over then dry brush on a coat of Old White Chalk Paint following the grain of the “wood” (well it’s not really wood, it’s that mock stuff, I think it’s called formica, that they put on chip board that looks like wood). Wait for the paint to dry and then sand. In some places I sanded all the way down to the original mock wood stuff and in others I just gave it a light sand.

Layers of chalk paint

Layers of paint

I’m not sure if the picture is clear enough, but the first one shows the Graphite with the streaks of metallic paint. The middle pic is after dry brushing on Old White and the last one is after sanding. Looks kinda rusty? Anyhows, once the sanding is done I gave it three coats of clear wax to seal it. All that’s left to do is to screw the license plates onto the drawers and add some new hardware.

Annie Sloan Clear Wax

Apply clear wax and screw on the license plates

No more boring office storage, amiright? And when it comes to furniture makeovers this is probably my second favorite one. The epic stack of suitcases still wins 😉 But I would love to know what you think? Does it work?

If you like the idea don’t forget to pin it for later

Revamped office storage, perfect for the garage using old license plates #storage

Let me know what you think or if you’ve revamped any office storage units?

And if you like the idea don’t forget to share.

And as always wishing you a very happy, craft filled week.

P.S. If you don’t want to go to all that trouble and find some of the materials we used, we’ve got you covered Disclosure: If you click on the links below, we may receive a commission from Amazon. But don’t worry it won’t come out of your pocket, and it helps us create more unique crafts and DIY tutorials for you 😉

Sale ERLOOD York 2FAST4U, Empire State, United States,Retro Vintage Auto License Plate Tin Sign Embossed Tag Size Home Pub Bar Decor 6 X 12
Sale ERLOOD ILLINOTS Route 66 Retro Vintage Auto License Plate Tin Sign Embossed Tag Size Home Pub Bar Decor 6 X 12
Sale 66Retro Alaska ETU 870, The Last Frontier, Embossed Vintage Tin Sign, Retro Auto License Plate, 30cm x 15cm

Categories:   DIY Tutorials, Hacks & Revamps, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: June 15, 2018 13:42

Jeannie Wallace

You're art is amazing and you have unbelievable furniture makeover ideas. Some of these things have been partially floating in my head forever but i could never see then thru because i overthink everything and that gives me limits. You have certainly inspired me to jump right in cause the water's fine lol.
    • Posted: June 15, 2018 13:52

What a beautiful thing to say Jeannie. Thank you so very much. I'll tell you a little secret, I used to overthink everything too and became so disheartened with myself. My Mom told me to just do it, anything, without trying to make it perfect or think of every possible thing that can go wrong. And slowly that's what stuck. I promise the water is warm and you'll have so much fun. And once you start the ideas won't stop either
  • Posted: March 3, 2016 01:57

Bridget

This is such a great revamp! It's hard to believe it came from one of those boring old office cabinets. Your post was featured on the Bygone Vintage Linkup Party this week : http://bygonevintage.com/vintage-wednesday-linkup-party-12/
    • Posted: March 3, 2016 07:50

Oh wow Bridget. Thank you so much!!
  • Posted: February 28, 2016 20:45

Rena

Greetings from Texas, I just wanted to compliment you on your box. :) Your toolbox looks Nothing like before. I love the fact that all it required was craft paint, license plates and imagination. :) If the bank is giving away more (1980's) furniture you should take it!!!!!!! This look would be great on larger pieces too, like a horizontal (landscape) filling cabinet, then it could be used as a dresser or use it as a tv stand. Ready storage for bluerays, dvd's, psp & xbox games, remotes, batteries, throw pillows, whatever... You don't even need the license plates, if you don't want to use up your collection. Just paint and distress it. If you look at websites like Hobby Lobby, Pottery Barn, etc ( sorry I don't know any store names where you are) you'll see similar versions to yours, and look at their prices. You could sooo easily sell yours around that price range!!! I'm suggesting this to you, because the box looks great and I'm sure plenty of people would love a homemade piece, versus something boring from a big box store!!! May God continue to bless you, with health, inspiration, and supplies to create wonderful things. :) :) :) Rena :) Psalm 64:10
    • Posted: February 29, 2016 12:13

Oh Rena, thank you so much for your lovely comments and blessings :-) Sending you much love from sunny South Africa
  • Posted: February 19, 2016 07:13

Anonymous

It turned out just fabulous! I love it! Your furry babies are too cute!
    • Posted: February 19, 2016 08:50

Thank you :-) and I'll tell the furry babies too.
  • Posted: February 19, 2016 01:00

Industrial Style Office Storage -

[…] industrial touches.  I am a sucker for old metal.  Tonight’s feature is from Michelle, at A Crafty Mix, and it is a great option for industrial style office storage.   She had me at […]
    • Posted: February 19, 2016 06:15

Hello Kimm :-) Thank you for the feature. I love, love, love http://roadkillrescue.net/ - always so inspiring.
  • Posted: February 17, 2016 08:46