DIY: How to Make a License Plate Lamp the Easy Way

I found some awesome license plate mock ups at the local China mall. I loved them so much I bought tons and at only R 30 they were an abSooooLute steal 😎 My son, who by the way has just matriculated (mommy is so very proud of you Calin ), needed a new bedside table lamp for his bedroom and we thought the plates would make a perfect lamp shade.  Add some plumbing bits and you get an easy industrial style lamp.

What you need to make a license plate lamp

What you need to make an industrial license plate bedside table lamp. Easy license plate craft with a full tutorial on the blog

What you need

For the lamp shade
  • 2 license plates
  • 4  brackets
  • 8 Pop rivets and a rivet gun
  • Electric light fitting (plastic)
  • Galvanized wire
  • Insulation tape

For the lamp base

• 1 four way PVC box (25 mm)
  • 4 90o  galvanized plumbing elbows (20 mm)
  • 1 galvanized tube (20 mm)
  • Electrical wire, plug and light switch
  • Spray paint

To make the lamp shade, measure the horizontal half way mark on each license plate and using a straight piece of wood carefully bend the license plates on the half way mark so they form a 90o  angle. Place the license plates together and attach using the brackets and the pop rivets.

Making the license plate Lamp Shade

Making the Lamp Shade

We had to put our thinking caps on to try and figure out how we would build the frame inside the lamp shade to hold the light fitting.

Time to put our thinking caps on and figure out how to make a license plate lamp shade

Time to put our thinking caps on

After some debate and a beer or two we decided to suspend the galvanized wire between the brackets to create a floating frame. We added some insulation tape to the middle of each wire just to make sure it was safe and then attached the light fitting between the wires.

Creating a frame for the license plate lamp. Easy license plate craft with a full tutorial on the blog

Creating a frame for the electrical bits

Add the light fitting. Easy license plate craft with a full tutorial on the blog

Add the light fitting

Now for the base of the lamp. The thread on the galvanized elbows are a perfect fit for the PVC box, simply twist them in. Seriously, it was that easy.

Making the base

Making the base

Spray the base and the pipe and gently tap out the little round circle bit in the PVC box.  Twist the pipe into the hole – another perfect fit!!

Finishing off the base. Easy license plate craft with a full tutorial on the blog

Finishing off the base

Attach the base to the light fitting, and thread the wire from the light fitting down into the pipe. Add a bulb and plug and you’re good to go.

Wiring up the light. Easy license plate craft with a full tutorial on the blog

Wiring up the light

Here’s a useful guide on how to wire up the light fitting, but if you’re unsure rather call a qualified electrician otherwise sparks might fly.

A easy to make license plate lamp using galvanized pipes and fittings and two license plates. Perfect for a man cave or car crazy teen. Easy license plate craft with a full tutorial on the blog

License plate lamp

Have you made any unusual lights or done something creative with license plates? I would love to hear about it.

Make a license plate lamp using plumbing bits. Perfect for a man cave or teenage boy's room

Pin me please!!!

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts

Comments

• Posted: February 22, 2017 16:18

Awesome light Michelle! I guess a little beer helps the thinking cap work a little better. Lol
    • Posted: February 22, 2017 16:19

Always Linda, always :-) Thank you
  • Posted: February 9, 2016 18:41

Tom

I've looked everywhere, and cannot find even remotely close to the box. Any ideas?
    • Posted: February 9, 2016 19:48

Hi, we found ours at our local hardware store in the electrical section. I'm not sure where you're emailing from but would really love to help you find it.
  • Posted: February 9, 2016 18:40

Tom

Any website that I can find a 4-way PVC Box like you used in this project
    • Posted: February 10, 2016 06:05

Hi Tom, me again. I did a search on Google for a "4 way pvc box circular" and found tons of sites that might ship if you can't find the box locally. I hope it helps.
  • Posted: January 27, 2016 16:49

Karen

How does the shade attach to the base. Is the light put on the bottom brackets of the shade or the top?
    • Posted: January 27, 2016 17:11

Hi Karen, the light is suspended on the bottom bracket.
  • Posted: January 27, 2016 11:41

stew

Perfect :)
  • Posted: January 25, 2016 13:07

Revamped Office Storage - A Crafty Mix

[…] all those license plates I bought at the China Mall? Yup, we’ve already used some to make a light for Calin’s bedroom, but I have lots more ? Some of the number plates have this gorgeous rusty look that I wanted to […]
  • Posted: January 24, 2016 15:17

Maude

You need to show how the light wire works into the pipe section ....did you drill a hole into the 4 way PVC so that yoiu could run the light wire through it and up through the pipe ? you didn't show this on your pictures how you run the light wire into it ...just curious ...I love this idea and I do want to make some of these as my son's like things like this they are all grown so i know they would want these in their bedroom ..
    • Posted: January 24, 2016 17:43

Hi Maude, I'll take a pic in the morning of where the wires go. Sorry my hubby wired it up and I was so excited to see everything come together I forgot to take a foto and post. Electricity scares me and this lamp is in my son's bedroom, there is no way I'll put him in danger so I understand where you're coming from. I've updated the post to show where the wire goes. Hope it helps.
  • Posted: January 24, 2016 14:10

John @ AZ DIY Guy

Very cool project. That would be great in a man-cave type room. Well done!
    • Posted: January 25, 2016 06:16

Thank you John. Love the remodel you did on your daughter's closet.
  • Posted: January 24, 2016 12:37

Linda Jung

Our son is into NASCAR and what a great gift for him. Now to find his driver's plate.
    • Posted: January 24, 2016 14:11

Oh that would be stunning. Hope you find his driver's plate :-)
    • Posted: January 24, 2016 16:27

Kim

I agree with with the other writter. I really hope he enjoys it! Good luck! :)
    • Posted: January 25, 2016 05:15

Shay

Walmart or auto parts store will have the plates...
      • Posted: April 1, 2016 15:19

Joni

My car enthusiast boy would love this lamp! I would love to find Vintage Plates, as his step-dad restores vintage cars for a hobby.