Rustic Topiary Place Card Holders – IBC Valentine’s Craft

Oh my word, January is almost gone and I’m so happy, it’s been a looooong, lean month. Has it been a rough one for you too? The end of the month also means it’s time for the International Bloggers Club challenge. If you’re visiting for the first time, the IBC is a group of bloggers from all over the world who get together at the end of every month to share their projects. This month we’re sharing Valentine’s crafts and because money is tight, I had to get really creative with this one.  I’ll let you in on a little secret, I went to the deepest, darkest recesses of my craft cupboard to try come up with an idea. Ribbons and wood scraps and paint and noodles and ice cream sticks all went flying. Suffice to say, bits of all that crafty chaos madness finally became these rustic topiary place card holders.

These Rustic Topiary place card holders made from a pool noodle are perfect for any occasion. Get the how to on the blog

Rustic Topiary tree hearts

Wanna know how I did it? Those rustic topiary hearts were made out of a pool noodle. Yup, a pool noodle 😉 If I had the moola, I would have toodled off to the craft shop and bought me some of those polystyrene hearts.

These Rustic Topiary place card holders made from a pool noodle are perfect for any occasion. Get the how to one the blog

Pool noodle cut into bits

But no moola means you gotta make a plan and the IBC is very close to my heart. These ladies have been there for me and they always come up with the most amazingly creative things. There was just no way I was not going to let my tribe down.

And to be honest I actually had a lot of fun carving the hearts. They were a lot easier than I thought. Just slice the bits of noodle into a spinning top to form the bottom of the heart. (I’m hoping the pics below help explain what I’m trying to say) Once the bottom had been carved away, I made a nick in the top and shaped the rest of the heart.

Carving the noodle

It’s kinda like peeling an orange with a craft knife.

A noodle heart

To mimic leaves I roughened the hearts up a bit with a grater.

Roughen them up a bit

And then we sprayed those hearts green.

Spray them green

While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I took a walk around the garden and found some twigs that would make great trunks. The pool noodle had a hole right down the middle, so I just glued the twigs inside. To hide the hole on top of the heart, I sprayed and glued some of the left over pool noodle bits over the hole.

Stick em up

I filled a few tin buckets with soil and added the rustic topiary hearts.

Planting a rustic topiary tree

For extra love I tied little hearts made from bits of bark to the buckets. Since these are supposed to be place cards, I thought I’d write the names on the bark hearts. But bark is rough and every time I wrote something it looked like a drunk spider had fallen into a bucket of paint before trying to crawl home.  So I used ice cream sticks instead to make little signs instead.

Add the signage

Oh, how I wish I could sit around a table with these special ladies, KatrinKeri,  Mary and PIli.  Since that won’t be happening anytime soon, the best I can do is create a virtual table and add their names to the place cards.

Rustic heart shaped topiary place card holders

Pin Me!!!

Do you have any special plans for Valentine’s Day? I must admit, we don’t really make a big thing of it. We prefer to surprise our loved ones with gifts and love notes throughout the year. What about you? I’d love to hear how you celebrate, or not. Either way here’s wishing and your loved ones a beautiful February and remember to pop on over to see what craftiness the rest of the IBC have come up with.

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Int'l Bloggers Club, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: February 11, 2017 21:58

Josephine

It's so beautiful, thanks for sharing. :) I just have one question, can we use any kind of paint or is there special paint that we can only use and where can we buy the paint? Thanks!
    • Posted: February 12, 2017 05:57

Thank you so much Josephine, I'm glad you like them. I used Rustoleam spray paint but any paint should work. We buy ours at the local hardware store in South Africa. Hope that helps
  • Posted: February 7, 2017 17:31

Jo Ann Keeney

How did you do the wooden heart ?
    • Posted: February 8, 2017 06:48

Hi Jo Ann. We bought plain wooden hearts at the craft store and just added bits of bark on top. Trees that have a thin layer of bark like Ironwood, Beech and the Paperbark thorn tree work the best. We used Paperbark because we have a beautiful one growing in our garden. Just wet the bark and then put something heavy on top to flatten the bark. Once it's dry you can cut out all kinds of shapes.
  • Posted: February 7, 2017 02:44

Anonymous

Great idea u should do a video
    • Posted: February 7, 2017 07:29

Thank you Anon, I'm terribly camera shy and videos scare me. Maybe one day
  • Posted: February 6, 2017 21:17

Jim

where, Michelle, did you find the little buckets?????
    • Posted: February 7, 2017 07:33

We got them a while back at a craft store in Centurion. I'm not sure which country you're from Jim but I believe they sell them at Target in the States and I've seen them on Amazon and Ebay too. Let me know if you come right.
  • Posted: February 4, 2017 17:21

Katerina Konstantinou

These are so beautiful! What a smart idea to use noodle! You did a great job with it!
    • Posted: February 5, 2017 10:02

• Posted: February 4, 2017 09:47

Maya

Michelle, these are wonderful. I, too couldn't believe my eyes that they were not real greenery!
    • Posted: February 5, 2017 10:02

Yay Maya, I'm really glad it worked out. Thank you
  • Posted: February 3, 2017 23:57

jodie filogomo

What an amazingly creative idea!! jodie www.jtouchofstyle.com
    • Posted: February 5, 2017 10:02

• Posted: January 31, 2017 16:57

Marie from The Interior Frugalista

These are seriously adorable, Michelle! Pool noodle - who would've thought. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity and talent.
    • Posted: February 1, 2017 07:06

Thanks so much Marie. When money is short my mind tends to do the weirdest things ;-)
  • Posted: January 31, 2017 00:03

These are so sweet. How creative to make the hearts from pool noodles. I just love the whole look. Pinned
    • Posted: January 31, 2017 07:28

Thank you so much Debra. I'm so glad you like them
  • Posted: January 30, 2017 22:11

Michelle, I love this!!! You're amazing! Seriously how did you think to make hearts out of pool noodles?!! They look wonderful!! Thanks so much for including me at the table, what an honor!!! Wouldn't that be wonderful if we could all sit down and chat it up?!! Well here's wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day from around the world!
    • Posted: January 31, 2017 07:29

I panicked and that pool noodle was taking up space in the craft closet ;-) Happy Valentine's day to you too my friend
  • Posted: January 30, 2017 22:09

Mary - the boondocks blog

Michelle you are such a sweetheart. You created these beautiful place card holders out of thin air. And they look so professional. I thought you had used moss or something real for the green. I too would love it if we could all get together one day.
    • Posted: January 31, 2017 07:29

Here's hoping Mary <3
  • Posted: January 30, 2017 21:38

Michelle, you are such a special person and I'm fortunate you call me your friend. These place card holders are so beautiful, I would have never imagined you used a pool noodle to make the hearts. I'd love we could meet together some day too, imagine how fun it would be!
    • Posted: January 31, 2017 07:30

Me too Pili, we would have a ball
  • Posted: January 30, 2017 19:03

Angie ~ ambient wares

The greenery looks so real & I was surprised when I saw they were pool noodles! Like most things you do, I think one thing and then I'm shocked (pleasantly) when I learn exactly what it is ;) Pinning & sharing!
    • Posted: January 31, 2017 07:32

;-) Thanks so much for the share Angie, they were lots of fun to make
  • Posted: January 30, 2017 13:07

Aw Michelle, you made my day with these beautiful and special place card holders! I too wish we'd could all hang out, but hey, you never know, one day I'll knock on that door! You are so so amazing to make the hearts from pool noodles! Love it and the whole rustic look of them is so beautiful!
    • Posted: January 30, 2017 13:22

Oh wouldn't that be lovely Katrin. Just imagine the fun we'd have ;-)