Make a Candle for a Special Mom

My mom is a very special lady. She’s got a wicked sense of humor and will take on anyone who doesn’t play fair. Oh the stories I could tell you about my mom . When I was much younger I used to get so embarrassed by her antics. I remember one time my boyfriend at the time took me to a very classy restaurant for dinner. We sat in a quite corner right at the back enjoying a glass wine and, if I recall correctly, crayfish or some other exotic dish. In those days we didn’t have a lot of money (okay we still don’t) so it was a real treat and we were savoring every minute. Until I spotted my mom. She had this HUGE red bow on her head. And by HUGE I mean GINORMOUS. It was probably a meter wide and everyone was staring at this woman who was heading straight for our table. I didn’t know where to put my head. Turns out she was at some mall with friends when they spotted a Lamborghini with a BIG red ribbon on it. She convinced the poor, unsuspecting sales person to give her the bow. Did I mention my mom is also super gorgeous and very convincing. Yup, that’s my Mom, my hero, my confidante, my best friend and sometimes my nemesis.

To celebrate this truly unique woman I wanted to make her something special. A while back I found a graphic from the Graphics Fairy that I’ve been saving for some project and this morning it hit me. I’ll make my mom a candle.

A special candle just for Mom

A special candle just for Mom

It was such a quick and easy project I thought I’d share it with you. All you need is a candle 🙂 , some wax paper, a serviette or a napkin, paper, sellotape and a hair drier.

Some wax paper a candle and a hair dryer

Some wax paper, a serviette, a candle and a hair dryer

I removed the back of the serviette and sellotaped it to onto a piece of paper.  The paper on the back of the serviette prevents it from crunching up when it goes through the printer.

Remove the top layer of the serviette and sellotape onto an A4

Remove the back of the serviette and sellotape it onto an A4 piece of paper

I re-sized the “M is for Mother” image based on the size of the candle and then printed the image on the serviette covered piece of paper.

The printed image

The printed image

I carefully cut the image out and stuck the printed serviette onto the candle. Then I wrapped the candle in wax paper. The waxy side of the paper should face towards the candle.

Wrap the candle in wax and blow

Wrap the candle in the serviette and the wax paper and blow

Using my daughter’s hairdryer set on high I blew hot air all over the image until I could see the wax paper getting, well waxy. I had to be really careful how I held the candle. That hair dryer blows really hot. Once I was done I gently removed the wax paper and voila, the printed serviette and image had melted into the candle.

Remove the wax paper

Remove the wax paper

Awesomeness!!!

A special candle made for a very special mom

A special candle made for a very special mom

It was such an easy way to customize the candle that I think I’m going to make a few more of these using pretty serviettes too. What so you think?

P.S. I love you mommy!!!!

Categories:   DIY Crafty Tutorials, Home Decor Crafts, Quick & Easy Crafts

Comments

• Posted: November 29, 2016 15:15

Sharlene

Can't wait to try this. There are so many beautiful paper napkins. My friend used one last time we were together...going to ask her for one....or two!
    • Posted: November 29, 2016 16:44

Oh Sharlene, I'm so glad you like it. It's so much fun changing candles to suit your decor and unique style. Thank you for coming to say hi
  • Posted: August 7, 2016 22:45

Cath

Beautiful candle. Thanks for sharing the instructions with us. I think it's fun to read posts from the other side of the world and muse over our different dialects of English. But we all share a love for pretty things, and our sometimes exasperating Mothers. I enjoyed your story. Good for a chuckle. You should add a big red bow to the candle.
    • Posted: August 8, 2016 10:29

Oh Cath that's brilliant, I wish I'd thought of that :D Thank you so much
  • Posted: August 7, 2016 13:10

Make A Candle For A Special Mom - Reader Feature - The Graphics Fairy

[…] for sharing your talents with us! To visit more of Michelle’s projects, please visit her blog site here.  To learn how to transfer images yourself, visit the Transfer Methods […]
    • Posted: August 8, 2016 10:31

Thank you for the feature Graphic Fairy
  • Posted: July 4, 2016 06:01

Decorating Candles – unikatissima's

[…] decorating of the candles works here with a candle, a napkin, wax paper and a hair dryer and sounds quite easy. I have to try […]
    • Posted: July 4, 2016 15:27

Thank you for the feature unikatissima :-)
  • Posted: June 1, 2016 00:56

Dee Bell

Going to jazz up all my boring candles now. Thanks!
    • Posted: June 1, 2016 06:57

Awesome :D
  • Posted: May 30, 2016 12:57

Cindy Gardiner

Looks So Sweet Love the idea!!!
    • Posted: May 30, 2016 15:41

• Posted: May 29, 2016 21:28

Anonymous

Beautiful! the candle and the sentiment. As I was reading I realized this would also work with the printed side of the napkin/serviette also skipping the printing part - yes?
    • Posted: May 30, 2016 13:29

Yes, it would definitely work and with all the beautiful napkins/serviettes you can buy today the candle would look stunning. Thanks for stopping by :-)
  • Posted: May 16, 2016 19:35

Mary-the boondocks blog

What an absolutely beautiful gift for your mom. She sounds like an exceptional woman. I think as we get older we tend to let our hair down and be ourselves more and not worry about what everyone is thinking. Your mom sounds like this, a true free spirit. I bet she loved the gift. Happy belated Mother's Day to you Michelle.
    • Posted: May 17, 2016 06:53

To you too Mary, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day and you're right about my mom. She's weird, wacky and totally awesome.
  • Posted: May 11, 2016 20:49

Michelle, your mom sounds like fun!! What a funny story about the big red bow. The candle looks beautiful and what a great idea!! I bet your mom loves her new candle.
    • Posted: May 12, 2016 08:21

She did :-) and she's a hoot. Love her to bits. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day Keri <3
  • Posted: May 9, 2016 03:24

Sary

Tiene que ser papel encerado? serviría talvéz el papel de mantequilla..ese que usamos para hornear? al parecer la única utilidad del papel encerado es proteger la servilleta del calor intenso del secador. soy de Chile. Gracias de antemano por tu respuesta.
    • Posted: May 9, 2016 07:21

Oh dear, I wish I could respond to your comment Sary. If anyone can help me translate I would be so grateful.
    • Posted: May 11, 2016 09:35

Okay I think I understand. Si, tiene que ser papel encerado o papel de hornear. As long as the paper is waxy.
    • Posted: May 29, 2016 20:14

Cheryl

Me parece que debe ser papel encerado ya que es la cera que es absorbida por la servilleta haciendo que la servilleta quede como parte de la vela.
      • Posted: May 30, 2016 07:28

:-) Thank you for helping an old Afrikaans girl out.
  • Posted: May 6, 2016 18:11

diana

Where do you get all the stuff to do this with. Can't I use a regular pic and just melt it on the candle
    • Posted: May 7, 2016 06:13

Hi Diana, good question. The serviette or napkin is porous and allows the wax to seep through so I'm not sure if a regular pic on paper would work. It's worth a try though
  • Posted: May 6, 2016 11:43

Bekki

This makes no sense. What is A4 paper and what is sellotape? When it says all you need is wax paper a napkin a hair dryer and a candle.
    • Posted: May 6, 2016 14:09

Hi Bekki, sorry I really have to learn that the words we used in South Africa are very different to the words used in the States. A4 paper is the standard printing size used inkjet or laser jet printers and sellotape is just sticky tape or scotch tape. I'll also update the bitty about what you need. Thanks for pointing it out.
    • Posted: May 29, 2016 09:36

Jan

Bekki, you seriously need to get a grip. If you don't know what it is, look it up instead of insulting a talented & creative woman. The US is not the center of the universe, & I'm an American! You, & people like you, are the reason I no longer choose to live there!
  • Posted: May 6, 2016 09:31

Carmen

Looks lovely. But where do you get the image with the "M"
    • Posted: May 6, 2016 14:06

Hi Carmen, the image is from the Graphics Fairy - here's the link http://thegraphicsfairy.com/victorian-abcs-m/